Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply

of 5

2010-12-03 9:24 PM
in reply to: #3236180

User image

Pro
the Alabama part of Pennsylvania
Subject: RE: 'Memorable' Childhood Punishments
I was very careful to not overstep boundaries with my SIL despite a number of concerns I had about her parenting approach, to not offer unsolicited advice.  But when she DID ask for help, I lent a copy of a parent training video and accompanying book.  6 months later, she returned the tape and book.  Unwatched and unread.  It was often hard to keep quiet when she would say the reason my kids were better behaved was that they are girls and she has boys.  Especially when mrs gearboy and I knew how hard we worked in the early years with our kids; not to mention the modeling of behaviors and relationships within our family.

Though there are times I think I should just walk down the streets handing out my business card.

2010-12-03 10:23 PM
in reply to: #3236205

User image

Bronze member
ChineseDemocracy - 2010-12-03 8:40 PM
trigal38 - 2010-12-03 9:05 PM
ChineseDemocracy - 2010-12-03 6:15 PM Trigal, unfortunately it's all too often that when a hand is offered to help the struggling parent, said parent gets defensive.

"Don't tell me how to raise my kids!" is a phrase I'm sure would come up frequently.  

The experts out there know what they are talking about.  Folks like Gearboy are out there dropping the knowledge...but the unfortunate part of it all is the good advice is often ignored.  And, by the time the parent actually realizes what they are doing isn't right, it's that much harder to right the ship.

Back to "memorable childhood punishments."
In 1st grade, my teacher tied me to my chair. (using masking tape)  I kept getting up to get a drink, use the bathroom, whatever.  I was an active kid.  Nowadays that would probably make the newswire and I'd make millions in a stinkin' lawsuit.  At the time it was hilarious.  It's all in the context of the situation.

Here all this time I thought masking tape was for hanging the childrens art projects. That is truly disturbing. 

I'm afraid I got a little off topic but of course now that my fat trap is opened.....

I would like to respectfully disagree about parents not listening. It is hard to know how many countless parents are out there in BT land reading this thread and changing their ways. Gearboy did not have to reply to anything in this thread but he saw a crack in the door and opened it a little more. I did not mean to imply that we should walk into Wal-Mart and start offering out parenting advice to the random stranger. 

I hope you didn't think that's what I implied...I certainly did not mean it that way.  Heck, there are things I can't tell my best friends...could I give them suggestions on how to do things better?  Sure.  Is it my place and would I risk straining a friendship?  You betcha.  

...and yes, I'm glad Gearboy does his thang.  He's like a male version of SuperNanny (and that's a darn good thing!)  You do know he adopted me this week?  

Didn't think so but it's so hard to know what people are thinking from reading on an internet forum!

Your story actually brought back a memory. When I was teaching preschool we were required to do home visits with every family 3 x year. I remember one family that only spoke spanish so the ESL teacher went on the home visit with me. I sat there the whole time nodding my head but didn't have a clue what anyone was saying. Later the ESL teacher told me that the mother reported her son was a terror at home (never had a problem with him in the classroom but that could have been a language thing). When she needed to go to a neighbors house (they lived in a trailer park for public housing) she would duct tape him to a chair. I had a visit from DCFS at the school the next week.
2010-12-03 10:35 PM
in reply to: #3236236

User image

Bronze member
gearboy - 2010-12-03 9:24 PM I was very careful to not overstep boundaries with my SIL despite a number of concerns I had about her parenting approach, to not offer unsolicited advice.  But when she DID ask for help, I lent a copy of a parent training video and accompanying book.  6 months later, she returned the tape and book.  Unwatched and unread.  It was often hard to keep quiet when she would say the reason my kids were better behaved was that they are girls and she has boys.  Especially when mrs gearboy and I knew how hard we worked in the early years with our kids; not to mention the modeling of behaviors and relationships within our family.

Though there are times I think I should just walk down the streets handing out my business card.[/QUOTE]

I know that feeling!! When I was teaching preschool there were times I would see parents with children who looked to be about 3 or 4 and not in preschool. I would stop in the middle of the street and start talking to the parents about putting them in preschool (these were considered at risk families). These turned out to be some of our very best students and my colleagues thanked me for this all year long.....

What is some good reading for parents? What would you hand out? Most of what I have read was more about classroom management which is good but does not always have the same effect at home. It's been a while since college and all the child development classes!
2010-12-03 10:39 PM
in reply to: #3236100

User image

Pro
Evanston,
ChineseDemocracy - 2010-12-03 7:15 PM

Back to "memorable childhood punishments."
In 1st grade, my teacher tied me to my chair. (using masking tape)  I kept getting up to get a drink, use the bathroom, whatever.  I was an active kid.  Nowadays that would probably make the newswire and I'd make millions in a stinkin' lawsuit.  At the time it was hilarious.  It's all in the context of the situation.

Also first grade - I got the masking tape across my mouth!  It did help.  Somewhat.
My poor teachers.   They didn't know what to do with me.
2010-12-03 10:54 PM
in reply to: #3230259

User image

Pro
Evanston,
JoshKaptur & jgaither - I agree that not all corporal punishment is the lashing-out-in-anger kind.  As a child I experienced a little of each, and probably more of the appropriate kind than the reactive kind.  But it doesn't take much of the second kind to get to the flinching.  Despite that, I do  believe that there is such a thing as appropriate spanking. 
2010-12-03 11:14 PM
in reply to: #3236281

User image

Pro
trigal38 - 2010-12-03 11:35 PM
I know that feeling!! When I was teaching preschool there were times I would see parents with children who looked to be about 3 or 4 and not in preschool. I would stop in the middle of the street and start talking to the parents about putting them in preschool (these were considered at risk families). These turned out to be some of our very best students and my colleagues thanked me for this all year long.....

What is some good reading for parents? What would you hand out? Most of what I have read was more about classroom management which is good but does not always have the same effect at home. It's been a while since college and all the child development classes!

My starting point for families is "1,2,3 Magic".  I've owned all 3 editions, as well as the VHS (but there is also a DVD).

I also think that behavior mod is the same for people and dogs.  Keep your voice firm but not loud, use clear commands, focus on positive reinforcement, ignore unwanted behavior, keep calm.  If they have a dog, go to a trainer and learn the skills. And even if they still can't train their kids, at least they have a good dog.

2010-12-04 2:37 AM
in reply to: #3236303

User image

Champion
Eat Cheese or Die
gearboy - 2010-12-03 11:14 PM
I also think that behavior mod is the same for people and dogs.  Keep your voice firm but not loud, use clear commands, focus on positive reinforcement, ignore unwanted behavior, keep calm.  If they have a dog, go to a trainer and learn the skills. And even if they still can't train their kids, at least they have a good dog.

Can you please tell my wife this? I get the "She's not a dog" comment occasionally. But it works when she's not attentive to us. It's really funny if the dog and kid are near each other when I tell the kid to sit and they both do it.
2010-12-04 7:17 AM
in reply to: #3236331

User image

Pro
graceful_dave - 2010-12-04 3:37 AM

Can you please tell my wife this? I get the "She's not a dog" comment occasionally. But it works when she's not attentive to us. It's really funny if the dog and kid are near each other when I tell the kid to sit and they both do it.

I get told the same thing if I whistle to get the kids' attention (or the wifes).  I usually respond "I know.  The dog listens better to me".  I used to joke when we got our first dog years ago that I needed a female in the house who still thought I knew everything and thought I was a god.
2010-12-04 8:31 AM
in reply to: #3230259

User image

Elite
Hendersonville
I also love "1,2,3 Magic". Simple and effective...if you do it right. My favorite parenting book is "How to Talk so Kids Will Listen and Listen so Kids Will Talk".
New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » 'Memorable' Childhood Punishments Rss Feed  

of 5