General Discussion Triathlon Talk » New Cervelo P2 Build - Help/Opinions Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2010-11-30 1:30 PM

User image

New user
Subject: New Cervelo P2 Build - Help/Opinions

I just picked up a new 2010 Cervelo P2 (54) frameset and need to figure out how to build this one up.  This will be my first build - *note - one of my good friends used to own a bike shop that went out of business during the recession.  He is going to help me with the fit and any issues I might have along the way, so it is a great learning opportunity.  So my question to you guys is: how would you build this up?  On another side note, my road bike is a Scott Addict, full DuraAce, with Mavic Ksyrium SL wheels.  I feel like a got a good deal on the frame so I have a few extra bucks to do some nice stuff.  I've seen the SRAM Red TT Gruppo that looks pretty sweet.  Not for sure what to do on the front end, cranks, seat, etc - wheels I am not going to touch for a while - I think I will just use my Ksyriums and switch out the cassette every time I go between bikes.  What would you guys do component wise to make this an awesome build?

Also any thoughts or tips or comments regarding a P2 build that would help a first timer would be greatly appreciated.  Pretty excited and cant wait for the packages to start showing up for Christmas!

2010-11-30 1:45 PM
in reply to: #3230754

User image

Master
Westlake Village , Ca.
Subject: RE: New Cervelo P2 Build - Help/Opinions
Very nice and congrats!

I just built my P4 with all Sram Red...Quarq powermeter, Hed Aero Bars, and a Serfas Tri Seat. I think it turned out great.

Have a great time with it.....
2010-11-30 1:58 PM

Regular
I also built a P4 with SRAM red,  Quarq and Ventus.  I had never built any kind of bike before.  People told me I was crazy but it came out really great.  I am very glad I did it.  I really enjoyed it and learning about everything at an entirely different level.  Big benefit I can handle any issues with my bike that come up race morning.  Plus figured a few tricks to get my P4 to work better.  Also made a few mistakes but nothing huge.  I initially tried to use Nokon for cabling which did not work.  So was out a few bucks and I have ultimately used some of the cabling with my other bikes.  

Very few things I would have done differently.  I would probably not gone with R2C shifters.  I have not had any problems besides difficult to adjust.  But heard so many stories from others that I don't think they are worth the risk of having a problem.  I would have also have seriously considered Di2.  I used the ceramic SRAM BB that I seriously question is worth the added expense.  Overall I am really happy that I went with SRAM Red.

I shopped for individual components.  Purchased items from a variety of different places and found many deals.   

Good luck and enjoy the project. 
2010-11-30 2:06 PM

User image

Master

Suggestions (based on my experience):

If you do go with SRAM RED, I would make sure that you can get the team issue front derailler. If you can not get your hands on one, then save your money and get a Force version.

Also the R2C's work pretty well, However they do not work well with cables that are internally ran through the aerobars (apparently too many twists and turns). I had all sorts of shifting issues with them. I ran DA cables exteranlly and have not had a single issue since.

The SRAM chains (1090) that I have ran, have worn out pretty quickly (about 2500 miles). I now use a DA chain.

The RED cassette is kind of noisy. I also recommend using a DA.

Some suggested builds:

Zipp R2C shifters

Zipp VUKA Bull Bars

Prologo NAGO EVO TTR Saddle

RED and DA the rest of the bike.

2010-11-30 2:40 PM
in reply to: #3230827

Regular
Personally I would not recommend the DA cassette.  I don't believe it is worth the extra cost.  I would purchase an Ultegra cassette or Red.  I have all Ultegra cassettes except one that is Red.  I really like the Red.  It is probably pretty insignificant for most but I really like the packaging of the Red cassette.  I have a bunch of cassettes and like how you store it with the Red cassette.

If you are set on DA, bonktown had a great deal earlier today.  They were, I think, $134.  Which still is 2x times the cost of Ultegra.

My 2 cents.   
2010-11-30 2:40 PM

Ypsilanti, MI
How much do you want to spend? I'd go with SRAM Red (900 TT shifters, not R2C)...keep the Red cranks, get SRAM TT chainrings if you want. Or to go for broke, maybe the Zipp VumaChrono cranks. If you really want, you can swap the Red brakes for aero brakes from TRP, Simpkins or whatever aero brake caliper offering of your choosing. I also like the 3T Ventus bars...that would do away with the need for brake levers and stem. Otherwise...for a stem, maybe a Extralite stem...very light weight and nice. And for bars...maybe Easton Attack integrated...were very light, though I think they changed the design and are a bit heavier now. For skewers...I like KCNC skewers...they look nice, are light, and function just as they should. For seat...I don't know...whatever is comfy for you. Headset...whatever is a light offering form FSA or Cane Creek. You could also scrap the SRAM cables and get some Yokonuza cables for silky smooth action...or Power Cordz cables for save a few grams. Also...if you want...you could scrap the SRAM chain and put a KMC X-10SL chain on for some weight savings...but I personally really like SRAM chains. You could also get a Recon or KCNC cassette...but I think I'd stick with the SRAM.

Or you could go Di2 and build around that...

I could go even crazier...or be more sensible. Just depends on you and your budget. 

2010-11-30 2:48 PM
in reply to: #3230827

Ypsilanti, MI
jhouse4 - 2010-11-30 3:06 PM

If you do go with SRAM RED, I would make sure that you can get the team issue front derailler. If you can not get your hands on one, then save your money and get a Force version.

I'm not sure this is necessary for most people interested in the Red group. THe team issue Red front derailleur has a steel steel cage...so basically like the Force front. Some pro riders like this because the feel it is stiffer. But...these guys also put out a lot more power than most of us for a much longer duration. So when they shift underload...I doubt it's the same as when most of us shift under load. 
2010-11-30 3:03 PM

User image

New user
Awesome input so far! Thanks guys... I know this is completely subjective and I don't want to start any brand wars, just hoping to find some cool stuff I might have been unaware of as options.  So I'm totally drooling over the cranks with the power meter built in... hummm.

Keep the ideas coming, it is much appreciated.  I also don't have a budget just yet.  I'm easily sold on features/benefits/coolness. Which sucks for my bank account.  As long as I get a good deal I'm usually happy.
2010-11-30 3:12 PM

User image

Master
Westlake Village , Ca.
I put a Force front derailer on because I heard it was the cool thing to do. ; )

Also, I need the R2C shifters because I'm OCD and can't stand shifters that are not symmetrical.
2010-11-30 3:19 PM

User image

New user
Hey are the Sram and Shimano drive trains interchangable?  Meaning, can I use my DA cassette with the Sram crank/FD/RD/chain? Anything else I might want to stay away from?
2010-11-30 3:19 PM

User image

Master
Bedford, MA
I have Force on my tri bike and am very happy with it. We all say that weight doesn't matter a ton on a triathlon bike, so if you are considering SRAM, you can save a few bucks and only gain a few ounces by going with Force instead of Red. I have the SRAM TT900 shifters, and they work great.

I'd watch bonktown for deals, and buy your group piece by piece.

2010-11-30 3:22 PM
in reply to: #3230920

User image

Master

teamtrinity - 2010-11-30 2:48 PM
jhouse4 - 2010-11-30 3:06 PM

I'm not sure this is necessary for most people interested in the Red group. THe team issue Red front derailleur has a steel steel cage...so basically like the Force front. Some pro riders like this because the feel it is stiffer. But...these guys also put out a lot more power than most of us for a much longer duration. So when they shift underload...I doubt it's the same as when most of us shift under load. 

I personally had shifting issues with mine. I know that SRAM has/was hit with a lot of bad press because of these issues not only from the pro riders that they sponsored but the general public as well. They were supposed to have ironed this out in the last couple of years but I am not taking a chance to save a few grams.

2010-11-30 3:22 PM
in reply to: #3230963

User image

Master
Bedford, MA
aneal000 - 2010-11-30 4:19 PM Hey are the Sram and Shimano drive trains interchangable?  Meaning, can I use my DA cassette with the Sram crank/FD/RD/chain? Anything else I might want to stay away from?

The chains and cassettes are compatible with each each other, and I know that lots of people prefer the Shimano cassettes, but I don't think you can match a SRAM FD with a Shimano RD.
2010-11-30 3:31 PM

User image

Veteran
Bedford, NH
Sounds like a fun exercise.  If it were me, I would prioritize wheels and a power meter over components (assuming you have to draw the line somewhere).  You can always downgrade the Red group to Force to save some money.  I don't think there is a noticeable difference for most people and you can apply the savings to something else.

I also happen to like  the SRAM R2C Shifters.  They came on my Felt B12.  Although, I havent put it thru any stress yet.  Just a few training rides. 

Unfortunately, I dont think you can get a wheel cover for Ksyrium SL's.  So depending on what you decide for a power meter (power tap vs. Quark or SRM), you can either get an aero front wheel (ex. HED Jet 6, H3, Zipp 808) and a power tap in a training wheel (ex. Open Pro) with a wheel cover or go with full Aero race wheels if you use Quark or SRM.  Personally, I like the look of Zipps better, but I think HED's are cheaper.  You can always go the used route if you want to save $$.

Dont forget to save money for an aero helmet, hydration system and perhaps a computer if you dont plan to swap between your road bike and tri bike.  I use the 705 on both of mine.  I also put a chain catcher on mine.  I dropped my chain in a race once before so this is cheap insurance.

I am a big fan of Cobb saddles.  I have the Plus on my Tri bike.

If you dont have a trainer, I would also add that to the list.  You will want some time in the saddle this winter to get comfortable in the new position and build strength.
2010-11-30 6:01 PM
in reply to: #3230972

User image

Expert
Savannah
natethomas2000 - 2010-11-30 4:22 PM
aneal000 - 2010-11-30 4:19 PM Hey are the Sram and Shimano drive trains interchangable?  Meaning, can I use my DA cassette with the Sram crank/FD/RD/chain? Anything else I might want to stay away from?

The chains and cassettes are compatible with each each other, and I know that lots of people prefer the Shimano cassettes, but I don't think you can match a SRAM FD with a Shimano RD.

To take this one step further...the bar end shifters should match the deraileur brand.  You can't have SRAM shifters on a Shimano deraileur group and vice versa.
2010-11-30 11:25 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sunny San Diego
Since you have a few extra bucks to spend:

Shimano Di2
Zipp 808 Firecrest
Pro Missle aerobars
Zipp Vuma Chrono cranks
Dura Ace calipers, chain and cassette
Dura Ace CARBON pedals
Fizik Arione Tri
Powertap
Vittoria Corsa Evo CX
Nokon cables
Ceramic bearings

2010-12-01 9:25 AM
in reply to: #3231202

User image

Expert
Leicester
mktoson - 2010-11-30 6:01 PM

To take this one step further...the bar end shifters should match the deraileur brand.  You can't have SRAM shifters on a Shimano deraileur group and vice versa.

Interesting,
I was just wondering about this, anyone converted over to R2C and tried it with shimano F and R deraileur beforeputting on the rest of the SRAM parts?

I think if the OP got a good deal on a P2 (not P4), he's proly looking for a realistic build not firecrests and Di2, I would also save the cash for other things and not buy ceramic bearings, IMO unless you plan to up your cadence over 1000RPM, ceramic crank bearings are overkill.
2010-12-01 9:41 AM
in reply to: #3231945

User image

Expert
Savannah
alex jb - 2010-12-01 10:25 AM

Interesting, I was just wondering about this, anyone converted over to R2C and tried it with shimano F and R deraileur beforeputting on the rest of the SRAM parts? 

If I recall correctly this can't be done b/c the pull force/length for the shimano and sram deraileurs are different.  For example the bar end shifter must pull the deraileur cable 1 inch to shift on shimano, where sram takes 1.5 inches.  I don't think the numbers I used are accurate but I just used them as an example.  This is why there are 2 versions of the Zipp return to center shifters...a shimano version and a SRAM version.

Edited by mktoson 2010-12-01 9:41 AM
2010-12-01 11:08 AM
in reply to: #3231515

User image

New user
joker70 - 2010-11-30 11:25 PM Since you have a few extra bucks to spend: Shimano Di2 Zipp 808 Firecrest Pro Missle aerobars Zipp Vuma Chrono cranks Dura Ace calipers, chain and cassette Dura Ace CARBON pedals Fizik Arione Tri Powertap Vittoria Corsa Evo CX Nokon cables Ceramic bearings

So this would be my "money is not an issue build"? Nice. Like alex jb said, I did get a good deal on a P2 so money is obviously a factor, but it is nice to dream! Maybe I'll just pick a few off the cool list!
2010-12-01 11:15 AM
in reply to: #3231945

User image

Master

alex jb - 2010-12-01 9:25 AM

Interesting, I was just wondering about this, anyone converted over to R2C and tried it with shimano F and R deraileur beforeputting on the rest of the SRAM parts? I think if the OP got a good deal on a P2 (not P4), he's proly looking for a realistic build not firecrests and Di2, I would also save the cash for other things and not buy ceramic bearings, IMO unless you plan to up your cadence over 1000RPM, ceramic crank bearings are overkill.

I have made it work but it took a lot of tweaking. I think we (me and a bike mechanic) spent most of a day getting the SRAM R2C's to work with Dura Ace. Now the Zipp R2C's come in both SRAM and Shimano versions. Just make it easy on yourself and get the Zipp ones.

2010-12-01 12:09 PM

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
If money is an issue I'd be looking at going with SRAM force. Light as heck, yet solid components. Next I'd be looking at some vision base bars and clip ons. They come at all price points, depending how light you want to go and are very adjustable. Save some cash for a good set of wheels and nokom cables. Maybe, some Hed jet 6 wheels and a wheel cover for the rear. That would be a killer bike to train and race on, without breaking the budget!

Edited by Meulen 2010-12-01 12:10 PM

2010-12-01 12:19 PM
in reply to: #3232356

User image

Master

Meulen - 2010-12-01 12:09 PM If money is an issue I'd be looking at going with SRAM force. Light as heck, yet solid components. Next I'd be looking at some vision base bars and clip ons. They come at all price points, depending how light you want to go and are very adjustable. Save some cash for a good set of wheels and nokom cables. Maybe, some Hed jet 6 wheels and a wheel cover for the rear. That would be a killer bike to train and race on, without breaking the budget!

Nokon's do not always play nice on a TT/Tri bike. The number of twists and bends results in some missed\delayed shifts. 

2010-12-01 12:42 PM
in reply to: #3232370

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
jhouse4 - 2010-12-01 12:19 PM

Meulen - 2010-12-01 12:09 PM If money is an issue I'd be looking at going with SRAM force. Light as heck, yet solid components. Next I'd be looking at some vision base bars and clip ons. They come at all price points, depending how light you want to go and are very adjustable. Save some cash for a good set of wheels and nokom cables. Maybe, some Hed jet 6 wheels and a wheel cover for the rear. That would be a killer bike to train and race on, without breaking the budget!

Nokon's do not always play nice on a TT/Tri bike. The number of twists and bends results in some missed\delayed shifts. 

true.........but the P2C has a pretty good cable housing design. They are a pain to install, for sure, but they are butter when you get them right!
2010-12-01 12:49 PM
in reply to: #3232370

Regular
Totally agree on the Nokon.  Purchased Nukon for my P4 build and there were not flexible enough. Would not work.  The P2 does not take as sharp bends as a P4 but still don't believe the hassle is worth the benefit.

Few pieces of advice would I say strongly and this would the primary one.  Several people had suggested Nokon but I think people hear they are great cables but have not actually used them.

One other issue you need to look at is length of the cables.  I had to use a Shimano Tandem cable for year shifter because the Nokon and Jagware were not long enough.

Personally I would never use anything but the Shimano tandem cable now because they are good enough and they actually work.

2010-12-01 12:54 PM
in reply to: #3232405

User image

Master

Meulen - 2010-12-01 12:42 PM
jhouse4 - 2010-12-01 12:19 PM

true.........but the P2C has a pretty good cable housing design. They are a pain to install, for sure, but they are butter when you get them right!

Actually through the frame is not the issues its internally through the bars. On the Zipp Vuka for example, the shift cables are bent twice before they even get to the stem. Then add any additional twists and turns in and through the frame.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » New Cervelo P2 Build - Help/Opinions Rss Feed  

of 2