Tempe, Arizona
United States
Ironman North America
Total Time = 16h 55m 51s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

So chatted with a lady from California prior to te race starting. We had the same watch and she needed to know how to use it so I showed her. She then proceeds to tell me that she has never swam 2.4 miles, biked 112 miles or ran a marathon... well that all sounds very familiar you must be on the Melanie Ford training plan let's hope we haven't screwed oursleves :)
Swim
  • 1h 43m 34s
  • 4224 yards
  • 02m 27s / 100 yards
Comments:

Cannonball! Kinda surprised I didn't hit the bottom. How deep is TTL anyway? Once I reached the surface started to head to the start under the Mill avenue bride. Couldn't quite figure out how my feet and hands were freezing yet my shoulders didn't feel cold at all. I would highly reccomend using a sleeveless wetsuit and then wearing "speed sleeves" my arms felt totally warm.I'd say I was positioned near the mid front of the pack for swimming. Just wanted to get in and out of the water as soon as possible. The announcer definitely got me pumped up for this swim. I was so ready to go and then the cannon went off. What a rush, I've never grabbed so much ass and hit so many people in my life. I felt like I was in roller derby and it felt AWESOME! Kept my head above water for awhile to avoid getting knocked in the face. Definitely got a good draft off of everyone. I didn't even feel like I was exerting too much effort the first couple hundred meters. Just kind of drifted along with the current and then it was down to business. I had worked really hard on my bilateral breathing prior to this race but must admit I went to just breathing from the right very quickly. I'm going to blame it on the cold water but a lot of it was probably just from habit. I felt pretty solid throgh out the swim never got way off target. On the way back i did start to have some cramping issues in my calves but tried not to let that slow me down and did my best to stay relaxed and calm. Got to the stairs and was pulled up by two gentlemen thank goodness. I do not believe I would have made it out without their assitance. Took a second to get my legs back under me but then I was off. Prior to the race I made a last minute decision not to race in my tri top since it has a tendency to cut into my and just settled with wearing a normal sports bra which I'm glad I did but there was a split second as I was pulling my wetsuit down that I thought I was going to flash everyone luckily that didn't happen.
Transition 1
  • 08m 9s
Comments:

The run to T1 was proabably the worse. My bicepts kept cramping up and I thought I was going to drop my wetsuit. I guess I need to do more pushups or something. Bike jersy and sleeves on and I was out of T1 felt pretty speedy.
Bike
  • 8h 23m 10s
  • 112 miles
  • 13.36 mile/hr
Comments:

The longest part of my day by far. The longest ride I had completed prior to this was 80 miles which I stopped due to cramping issues. Was I really going to be able to tack an extra 32 miles onto this? I was about to find out. Felt great heading out on the irst loop popped a gel first thing on the bike and slugged some water. I made it up the beeline faster than I ever had by about 15 minutes without exerting a whole buch of effort. Was this just adrenaline? If so then they need to bottle this shit up and sell it. Then I came to the Shea turn around and it all made sense...Holy wind Batman only I didn't say Holy wind I'm pretty sure I said Holy Shit as realized I would be battleing the wind on the decent down the hill and back into town. The max speen I ever got up to on the bike was 22 miles per... needless to say a generally average 29-30 miles an hour coming down the beeline... alma school and mcClinctock were the worse. I felt like I was pedaling through a wall without much forward motion. And I still had two more loops left... I managed to entertain myself by singing sometimes outload and sometimes to myself. Great tunes like hotel california and you can't always get what you want filtered the air around me. The rain didn't bother me too much just made everything so much more vivid and cold never did warm up after jumping into the lake. I kept a close watch on my time didn't really start to stress till the last cutoff onto mcdowell. I knew I would make it with about 15 minutes to spare just as long as nothing went wrong...now was not the time to get a flat tire that's for sure. Kate passed me with about 3 miles left on the bike grant it I didnt' realize it was Kate till a got to t2 but then put everything together. Was so glad to see the chute back into transition. Came off the bike very slowly and volunteers told me to rest a second before heading out to the run. I didn't feel too bad but my legs definitely were not cooperating the way my brain was telling them to.
What would you do differently?:

Feel really great about this legs never ramped up did start to have some stomach cramping but I believe this was just due to being in the aero position for so long. I feel like I nailed the nutrition. Probably shouldn't have stopped to use the bathroom that last time.
Transition 2
  • 08m 23s
Comments:

Sweet Jesus I got to sit for five minutes with out a saddle between my legs Thank God! Saw Kate again her words were encouraging "We're going to do this!" but I didn't quite believe them at this point. I'm I really going to make it through 26.2 more miles on foot?
Run
  • 6h 33m 46s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 15m 02s  min/mile
Comments:

Out of the change tent I went and there was Jerry! What a great way to start the run by seeing a friend. The first mile or so was definitely the most painful leg wise. It felt like someone was stabbing me in the side of my quads with each step I took. I tried not to panic and just kept telling myself that I just needed to shake things out after being on the bike for so long. Eventually the stabbings stopped but the balls of my feet were on fire for the entire run. I could have sworn they were going to explode and I imagined there were blisters the size of Australia on them. Around mile two of the run another friendly voice came up from behind me CHAD! It was so good to see him and he looked strong. I assumed he was on his final lap of the run though I couldn't bring myself to ask considering I had just gotten started. Through out the run I walked the aid stations and then some but always made sure I ran at least some between each one. Out of all the races I've ever done I definitely feel like a ran the most in this one. In all my other races I feel like I get to the run and just walk the entire thing. My nutrition was spot on on the run no stomach issues at all and I never stopped to use the bathroom. I continued to see other BTer's out there cheering us on. It was so good to se Dean, Kerri and Rick out there on multiple laps. I started my third and final loop about 45 minutes before cut off. I knew I'd have to continue to push myself in order to make to the end by Midnight. I saw Rick one last time and he told me I had time I looked at my watch and said it's going to be close. At that point I thought I'm going to show up with 5 minutes to spare just as long as I don't slow down any.The last four miles were definitely the most pressured fill. I could hear the announcer at the finish and just thought how heart broken I would be to come this close and still fall short. I tried to convince myself to keep running there were still people around me for the most part. I never felt like I was out on the course alone. so as I approache dother runners or as they came up behind me I tried to hold to their pace. With two miles left things got a bit crazy the volunteers were pushing us to keep going as I was getting ready to go over the rural bridge for the last time one supporter told me to stick to the guy in front me. If I kept that pace I'd make it but I couldn't fall behind. So I stuck to him then I got in front him. The last mile was the worse and best at the same time. I knew I was stil pushing the clock and hoped that my watch had the time I had been calculating on it. Each time I passed a supporter they would say a different distance and and different amount of time left. I was so happy to finally get to lap marker and finally get to head towards the finish. At that point I knew I was safe and was going to make it. As I turned onto Rio Solado The bleacher were packed, The music was blarring and the spotlight was on me! I felt like I was floating on air as ran down that finisher chute. "I had the time of my Life" was playing. This was it, I passed the anouncer and threw my arms up in the air, "You Are an Ironman!"
Post race
Warm down:

I had done it. I received my finishers medal and shirt and headed to take my picture. I grabbed a slice of Pizza and was finally was able to relax after a very long day. Of course once I had stopped moving it was extremely hard to get moving again. A big thank you to Kerri for her support and help after the race as she had to practically push me to the car.

Last updated: 2010-01-04 12:00 AM
Swimming
01:43:34 | 4224 yards | 02m 27s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance:
Suit: Sleeveless wetsuit w/ pull on sleeves
Course:
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 61F / 16C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 08:09
Performance:
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
08:23:10 | 112 miles | 13.36 mile/hr
Performance:
Wind:
Course:
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 08:23
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
06:33:46 | 26.2 miles | 15m 02s  min/mile
Performance:
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2010-11-30 7:35 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: Ironman Arizona

2010-11-30 7:53 PM
in reply to: #3231314

User image

Regular
Redlands, CA
Subject: RE: Ironman Arizona
Wow! You did it, congrats.  I sweated the cut-off times all the way too, you are an Ironman!  I enjoyed your report.
2010-11-30 9:28 PM

User image

Elite
Phoenix, AZ
Great race report,Mel. And congrats on ironman! I still remember the look on your face when you registered me last Nov. I'm so happy for you.
2010-11-30 9:37 PM

Champion
Yay Mel, nice job Ironman!!  Believe me, I know what it's like to be pushing that midnight deadline, and the thoughts that keep going through your head.  It's like some weird math equation that you keep doubting, and you're never really sure if you figured it out right.  But ya did it!!!  WOOOOOOT! 
2010-12-01 7:52 AM

User image

Master
Surprise, Arizona

Way to go, Mel!! I am so proud of you.  I had followed your progress all day (and all year ) and was thrilled when I saw your final time.  I really enjoyed your race report as well.  Congratulations, Ironman!!!

2010-12-01 9:58 AM

User image

Expert
Phoenix, AZ
So proud of you Mel! Awesome job out there, shows just how strong you are. I was fun to be out there cheering you on, congratulations!

2010-12-01 10:29 AM

User image

Expert
Gilbert

I enjoyed the race report!  SO proud of you!  WE DID IT!!

2010-12-01 11:38 AM

User image

Expert
Chandler, AZ
Mel, I enjoyed reading this. This was a tough day to race your first IM. You are a strong woman and it showed. I am proud of you.
2010-12-01 12:50 PM

User image

Veteran
Phoenix
Awesome, thanks for sharing this!!  Congratulations!
2010-12-01 10:35 PM

User image

Gilbert, Arizona
Very cool Mel.  Awesome job and great report.   You are a tough girl and a great competitor.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman Arizona Rss Feed