General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Arizona : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 35

2011-11-22 8:42 AM
in reply to: #3910905

Phoenix, AZ
Subject: RE: Ironman Arizona : Official Thread
cordova78 - 2011-11-22 6:45 PM

My race report is up.  I had an incredible day.  

I noticed a couple of BTers out there: furiousferret, isis, mathias (flying on the run), and of course Brittany.   

I hope you all had the day you were looking for.  Best of luck you all in the future.

Chris

Just read your race report... you were right on my heels!  I had the same feeling a mile 25... Sub 11 was going to be mine!  Damn that felt good! 

2011-11-22 12:40 PM
in reply to: #3231479

croyston - 2011-11-21 1:38 PM

Congrats to all who raced this year.

I just got in for 2012.  Any recommendations on where to stay?  I will be there with the family (wife and 2 boys - 14 and 10).

Thanks,

Chris

Hi Chris!  Marriott Courtyard Inn is a great location and not expensive!  It's on 5th St and Ash, which is about 3 blocks from the race start.  Easy quick walk.  It's great if your kids need to take a break during the day.  You can go back and forth pre-race for activities without having to drive.  Race morning I could walk over early without everyone having to get moving.

2011-11-22 12:54 PM
in reply to: #3910338

User image

Champion
Austin, Texas
croyston - 2011-11-21 1:38 PM

Congrats to all who raced this year.

I just got in for 2012.  Any recommendations on where to stay?  I will be there with the family (wife and 2 boys - 14 and 10).

Thanks,

Chris

We're staying at the Four Points Sheraton & booked a junior suite for $100/night. 

I'm already excited for next year!!!

2011-11-22 1:23 PM
in reply to: #3910783

User image

Well - I finished - wasn't fast but finished in an upright and vertical position - there were times on the run fighting stomach issues - will spare you with the details but managed to keep going. Never been so happy to see a porta-pottie in my entire life! Thanks to new friends I met on the 3rd loop of the run Lauren and Elijah (don't know if they are BT'ers - forgot to ask in my worry about making the cutoff - finished with 36 mins to spare...) but they were great company on the 3rd loop shuffle.

Walking fine the day after - I foolishly thought, well this isn't so bad - well, today Tuesday walking like Frankenstein - actually I think he walks a lot faster. Stairs in my house are a real challenge.

Congrats to all. This was my first full Ironman. Not bad for a 52 year old previous non-athlete with a pacemaker.

All the best to all of you - thanks for all updates throughout the training, and the on-line support. Look forward to reading the race reports. Have a great thanksgiving. We have earned it.

TriFit- Wow - what a story - Glad you are ok - sounds like you were lucky overall. Best wishes for a speedy recovery

2011-11-22 1:28 PM
in reply to: #3910783

User image

double post error

Edited by paceman82203 2011-11-22 1:29 PM
2011-11-22 6:09 PM
in reply to: #3911913

User image

Master
Redlands, CA
paceman82203 - 2011-11-22 11:23 AM

Well - I finished - wasn't fast but finished in an upright and vertical position - there were times on the run fighting stomach issues - will spare you with the details but managed to keep going. Never been so happy to see a porta-pottie in my entire life! Thanks to new friends I met on the 3rd loop of the run Lauren and Elijah (don't know if they are BT'ers - forgot to ask in my worry about making the cutoff - finished with 36 mins to spare...) but they were great company on the 3rd loop shuffle.

Walking fine the day after - I foolishly thought, well this isn't so bad - well, today Tuesday walking like Frankenstein - actually I think he walks a lot faster. Stairs in my house are a real challenge.

Congrats to all. This was my first full Ironman. Not bad for a 52 year old previous non-athlete with a pacemaker.

All the best to all of you - thanks for all updates throughout the training, and the on-line support. Look forward to reading the race reports. Have a great thanksgiving. We have earned it.

TriFit- Wow - what a story - Glad you are ok - sounds like you were lucky overall. Best wishes for a speedy recovery

The important thing is you finished; its easy to lose sight of that (I have at times) when we have so many studs and studettes going super fast, but to get perspective listen to your friends outside the sport who are just amazed by the accomplishment, and with a pacemaker none the less!  Its a good thing they weren't microwaving anything at the aid stations!

2011-11-22 6:17 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
San Jose, CA
It's so good to hear everyone's race stories!! I didn't quite have the day I had anticipated (we've figured out I should have taken in a lot more salt) but I did score a 75 minute PR so no complaining here!!! Recover well!
2011-11-22 6:26 PM

Can someone help me out, I can't post my race report.  When I go in to page it says I have not done a race yet.  I am computer illiterate so maybe I am missing a simple step.  Any help would be apppreciated.
2011-11-22 6:42 PM

Arlington, MA

Heres my report if your bored. Great first IM and looking forward to another one in a few years. 

http://www.runningahead.com/logs/f118f2108c2b4caba745180e81611fdc/workouts/1972a32c871e4775b678a2cbec6b6c1d

2011-11-22 7:16 PM
in reply to: #3911273

User image

Sensei
Sin City
pmruns - 2011-11-22 5:47 AM
matthias77 - 2011-11-21 12:17 AM

Hi everyone,

sitting already at the airport to catch my redeye back to NYC. Was a great raceday did 10:17:33 and I'm more than happy about it - first time, got the swim done even if I didn't train for the last 2 months and got my marathon in in 3:37.

Only downside was that some moron stole my Garmin from my bike transition bag. So in the end it was a good but a little pricey weekend. Hope you guys have fun tomorrow and enjoy the party tonight for me.

Sorry that I could not catch up with everyone - I enjoyed reading the forum here and actually learned a lot. Next year I'm moving back to Germany. So who knows maybe we see us then at Roth or Frankfurt (if I'm going to do another Ironman...).

Will do my race report later.

Take care everyone!

You might want to check to see if your Garmin showed up in a Lost and Found if they have one. I worked Gear Bags for part of the day and things were constantly falling out as bags were moved from place to place. I hope they saved at least the labeled and big ticket items in some sort of Lost Gear box.

I was going to say the same thing.  I'm not saying that it wasn't stolen, but I doubt it.  During the rush of transitions it might have fallen out or got tangled in your items?  I had thought I lost a bottle of lotion during the rush, but searched my bag twice before I found it in there.

2011-11-22 7:23 PM
in reply to: #3912414

User image

Sensei
Sin City

My race report is also up.  I set a new PR by 2.5 hours over IMSG and Silverman.  Of course, I wanted to be faster, but I try to focus on meeting my "reasonable" goal (all things considered), and not so much my "dream" goal.

I also have to remember that to me, finishing is more important than anything else.  My times will never be fast enough to get me anything, so a "fast" time for me is more of a pride and personal gain thing.  Maybe if it was a podium spot or trip to Kona, it would be different.  I just take pride in getting called an Ironman once again and finishing a HARD day!

I signed up for next year but had buyer's remorse during the run and about the next 48 hours, but I'm happy I did now!  I ALMOST forgot the pain!  lol!  I get remindeda little when I try to get up off the couch, though. 

Edited by Kido 2011-11-22 7:26 PM

2011-11-22 7:44 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
San Francisco CA

I'm finally coming out of my post-Arizona haze and am back online. Had an incredible day out there - was hoping to come in under 16 hours and finished in 15:47:54. Amazing swim, bike was just what I expected aside from the brutal wind and the run was good until around mile 16 when I fell apart and basically walked it in. That finish line was pure magic!

During training I swore that 2012 was a no-Ironman year but this morning I woke up trying to figure out where I can shave time off and am seriously considering a foundation slot for IMCDA. I think I've been bitten by the Ironman bug...

2011-11-22 8:33 PM
in reply to: #3912358

User image

Extreme Veteran
Scottsdale
furiousferret - 2011-11-22 6:09 PM
paceman82203 - 2011-11-22 11:23 AM

The important thing is you finished; its easy to lose sight of that (I have at times) when we have so many studs and studettes going super fast, but to get perspective listen to your friends outside the sport who are just amazed by the accomplishment, and with a pacemaker none the less!  Its a good thing they weren't microwaving anything at the aid stations!

I second that - it is not WHEN you finished that matters most, it is THAT you finished.  Look back at the hard work you endured to get here, and enjoy every minute of being an IRONMAN!!!

2011-11-23 12:23 AM
in reply to: #3912505

User image

Master
Redlands, CA

Looks like there is a new IMAZ thread for next year....Congrats to everyone for a great year!  Tri Fit, we're all rooting for you in you're next IM. 

Last one out, turn out the lights... 

2011-11-23 2:19 PM
in reply to: #3912414

User image

New user

NYC
Kido - 2011-11-22 7:16 PM
pmruns - 2011-11-22 5:47 AM
matthias77 - 2011-11-21 12:17 AM

Hi everyone,

sitting already at the airport to catch my redeye back to NYC. Was a great raceday did 10:17:33 and I'm more than happy about it - first time, got the swim done even if I didn't train for the last 2 months and got my marathon in in 3:37.

Only downside was that some moron stole my Garmin from my bike transition bag. So in the end it was a good but a little pricey weekend. Hope you guys have fun tomorrow and enjoy the party tonight for me.

Sorry that I could not catch up with everyone - I enjoyed reading the forum here and actually learned a lot. Next year I'm moving back to Germany. So who knows maybe we see us then at Roth or Frankfurt (if I'm going to do another Ironman...).

Will do my race report later.

Take care everyone!

You might want to check to see if your Garmin showed up in a Lost and Found if they have one. I worked Gear Bags for part of the day and things were constantly falling out as bags were moved from place to place. I hope they saved at least the labeled and big ticket items in some sort of Lost Gear box.

I was going to say the same thing.  I'm not saying that it wasn't stolen, but I doubt it.  During the rush of transitions it might have fallen out or got tangled in your items?  I had thought I lost a bottle of lotion during the rush, but searched my bag twice before I found it in there.

Thanks for the advise - but during transition I checked everything twice - even around me. The bag was closed by me with a little bow after I left my Forerunner in the morning. I did not re-open until I sat on the grass. Asked after the race at the lost&found but they had no Garmin floating around there as well. So I think somebody saw me in the morning - just dropping my Garmin (ok - my fault I did it very obviously) in the bag. But anyway - I am happy now. And the Garmins will get cheaper & have better features . I think it did not matter to me during the bike because I can pace myself there pretty good - but during the run it would have helped a lot to see the actual pace.

2011-11-23 5:47 PM

User image

TN
Congrats to all. Nothing beats the volunteers and participant comradery of an Ironman and this forum certainly exemplifies both. I've already promised my wife no 140.6 races in 2012. Will focus on speed at the 70.3 distance next year with an eye on possible return to IMAZ or IMKY in 2013. BTW, registration for IMKY is still open. IMAZ is definitely a faster course, but nothing compares to the finish at IMKY. IMKY is hot, humid, & hilly - but the finish makes it all worth it. Best wishes to all.

2011-11-23 11:07 PM

User image

Regular

Just got back home and I'm finishing up my race report, but wanted to briefly share my Dad's experience.

I think I mentioned earlier that this was his first IM at age 68.  

He was having a fantastic race, to our surprise leading his age group at mile 20 of the run.

After several hours of waiting for him to arrive at the finish, we never saw him and couldn't figure out what happened to him.

I figured he might have blown up on the run, but it turns out he  took a spill at the last bridge, somewhere around mile 24.5.

He struggled for an hour trying to make his way across using the hand railing with many people encouraging him.

Then a couple other athletes saw him struggling and stopped to help, telling him that he was going to finish this race.

They stayed with him the remaining 1.7 miles which took 4 hours to complete, just 20 mins before midnight.

Upon return to San Diego and going to the hospital, they discovered he had fractured his pelvis and subsequently has had partial hip replacement surgery and will spending Thankgiving in the hospital. 

He went into the race with a goal to finish.  The possibility of placing was never a driver.

He said that experiencing the selflessness and spirit of the athletes that helped him was a far greater reward than any other result that could have occurred.

I think those final few hundred feet as Mike Reilly brought the crowd to a roar while they made their way to the finish will be one of the most memorable moments in his life.

2011-11-23 11:56 PM
in reply to: #3913841

User image

Expert
Highlands Ranch, CO
jodavis21 - 2011-11-23 10:07 PM

Just got back home and I'm finishing up my race report, but wanted to briefly share my Dad's experience.

He was having a fantastic race, to our surprise leading his age group at mile 20 of the run.

After several hours of waiting for him to arrive at the finish, we never saw him and couldn't figure out what happened to him.

I figured he might have blown up on the run, but it turns out he  took a spill at the last bridge, somewhere around mile 24.5.

He struggled for an hour trying to make his way across using the hand railing with many people encouraging him.

Then a couple other athletes saw him struggling and stopped to help, telling him that he was going to finish this race.

They stayed with him the remaining 1.7 miles which took 4 hours to complete, just 20 mins before midnight.

Upon return to San Diego and going to the hospital, they discovered he had fractured his pelvis and subsequently has had partial hip replacement surgery and will spending Thankgiving in the hospital. 

He went into the race with a goal to finish.  The possibility of placing was never a driver.

He said that experiencing the selflessness and spirit of the athletes that helped him was a far greater reward than any other result that could have occurred.

I think those final few hundred feet as Mike Reilly brought the crowd to a roar while they made their way to the finish will be one of the most memorable moments in his life.

Wow.  I am pretty sure I saw your dad and the other athletes that helped him while on the course. I finished in the 16 hour mark and passed  two athletes who were assisting another athlete. They would take one or two steps and stop to take a break. I remember hearing the two that helped encourage the injured athlete and tell him not to worry about them. Reading your dad's story, it sounds like it was them. I am sorry to hear that your dad got hurt but what a great act of kindness. Thanks for sharing your dad's story. I hope he heals quickly.

2011-11-24 7:49 AM

User image

Master
Bloomington, MN
jodavis21 - 2011-11-23 11:07 PM

Wow, amazing story, thanks for sharing.

2011-11-24 11:50 AM
in reply to: #3913949

User image

Regular
Redlands, CA
Buckshot - 2011-11-24 5:49 AM
jodavis21 - 2011-11-23 11:07 PM

Wow, amazing story, thanks for sharing.

[/QUOTECheck out slowtwitch thread by "karma" he helped your dad http://forum.slowtwitch.com/forum/Slowtwitch_Forums_C1/Triathlon_Fo...
2011-11-25 7:38 PM

User image

Regular
Here
jodavis21 - 2011-11-23 9:07 PM

I think I might have seen your Dad come through the chute.  Was he being helped on both sides by fellow athletes? I was so inspired by your Dad's courage and the selflessness of the two guys by his side.  This story and the story of the guy who was still out there at 2AM brought tears to my eyes and is what Ironman races are all about.

2011-11-25 7:42 PM

User image

Regular
Here
Had an awesome day.  Just reported my race report. Race went way beyond what I thought was possible.  The support of the volunteers and cheering of the supporters made such a huge difference.  Special thanks to the Penguin, Banana and Chicken Group, the Pirates Group, the S&M/Police group, and all the other supporters and volunteers.  Couldn't have don't it w/o you all.
2011-11-25 10:34 PM
in reply to: #3915132

User image

Regular
JHIMAZ - 2011-11-25 5:38 PM 

I think I might have seen your Dad come through the chute.  Was he being helped on both sides by fellow athletes? I was so inspired by your Dad's courage and the selflessness of the two guys by his side.  This story and the story of the guy who was still out there at 2AM brought tears to my eyes and is what Ironman races are all about.

Yes, he was being supported by two other athletes.  I just saw the link the grannygear posted from Slowtwitch.  It has one of their race reports and a pic of them crossing the finish line.  Thank you grannygear.  

2011-11-26 4:42 AM

User image

Master
Almaden Valley, San Jose, California
Wow.  So glad that it worked out.  Sending prayers for a quick recovery.  Had the helpful athletes already finished their races?
2011-11-26 1:37 PM
in reply to: #3915290

User image

Regular

The other athletes had not finished yet.  

There were race officials and spectators that were there with him beforehand, but couldn't help him.

These guys, though, stopped to talk with him and decided they would make it to the finish together.

IMAZ 2011 Finish

New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Arizona : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 35