General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Pelvic Stress Reaction and Bone Health questions Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-12-02 1:45 PM

User image

Regular
Subject: Pelvic Stress Reaction and Bone Health questions
I just got the results of my bone scan a couple of days ago and it turns out I have a stress reaction in the pelvic area from running (I joke with my friends that I cracked my humpty). I did not get to ask many questions because my sports med doc called me and I plan on following up soon during a physical with my regular doctor.

I was wondering if anyone on here has dealt with one of these before and has recommendations/can relate ? I'm quite surprised I have one, I did a slow buildup following a running room program over 6 months. My longest runs were a 9 and 10 miler. I've been active before going back to running with yoga, some strength (though not as much as I should perhaps), cycling, and swimming. I was eating pretty well (always room for improvement, though).

I'm finding the pain totally tolerable but frustrating in its randomness. Sometimes its a dull ache under my butt/down my leg, sometimes it's groin pain, sometimes it's lower ab pain. I'm thankful my sports doc even did a bone scan because I was convinced it was muscular.

Any recommendations for supporting bone health? I seem to be reading that calcium is not enough and I should be adding in vitamin D, magnesium, and K.

Should I be asking my doctor for any other tests? The thing that worries me is that I was having a problem with irregular periods (still am) and I'm worried that there might be something hormonal going on but I'm not sure if they could be related.

Thanks.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Pelvic Stress Reaction and Bone Health questions Rss Feed