General Discussion Triathlon Talk » A Weekly Long Run - An Off-Season Requirement? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-12-03 7:50 PM

User image

Subject: A Weekly Long Run - An Off-Season Requirement?
Like most of my fellow XL triathlete friends, the last 5 miles of the run in a HIM race are always a challenge. My mind often questions whether or not it would have been easier to tolerate if only I lost a little weight and stayed comfortable with the 10+ mile distance. I'm focused on base building again right know with a core strength the priority.

Should I be doing at least one long run 8 to 12 miles per week in the off-season or can I put it off until I get closer to my next HIM race this spring?

2010-12-03 8:00 PM
in reply to: #3236165

User image

Master
Southwest Iowa
Subject: RE: A Weekly Long Run - An Off-Season Requirement?

I am having to start all over again, but I thought I was ready for the half mary in my HIM, but I really struggled to even run, so I am going to increase my running to get to the full marathon distance.  I think each person has to decide for themselves.   But, from what you wrote, I would suggest more running, but also do not over work it.

2010-12-03 9:09 PM

Master
Montgomery, Tx

There is a thread on running frequency on the triathlon page that has some very good advice.  Also on ST there is a guy named Barryp (running pages in his sig line) who has some real good running advice as well on running more, but over 5-7 days a week.  If you are not hurt I would run for a good base now- then it will be easy to maintain when you are ready. 

2010-12-07 8:54 PM

My best running year I was running a 10 miler once a week.  Had PRs at every distance that year, it was awesome.  After some rough years, I'm doing 10 milers once a week.   Haven't improved in the speed zone, yet, but every run gets a little easier.  HIM in March - looking for a PR - we'll see if I stilly swear by my weekly 10'er when it's over. 

Good luck out there. 
2010-12-08 11:15 AM

User image

Master
Pacific Northwest

I find it is so much easier to maintain long run fitness throughout the year than to add the build mid-season.  That way I can focus on the bike and swim and also can decide on a whim to run a 1/2 mary if I am in the mood.  I am currently recovering from an injury and am up to 11 miles for my long run, and feeling great.  I hope to run a 1/2 mary in January and then probably stay at 10-11 miles per week for my long run through the season.  It can drop down to 9ish but you need to make sure you do one longer long run to keep that fitness.  I think it psychologically makes the HIM run so much easier to stay at that level.  My first HIM was mostly just building up to that run, and my second one I had kept a higher run volume and the HIM run felt so much easier--nearly hit my 1/2 mary PR!

2010-12-09 3:34 PM
in reply to: #3241288

User image

Expert
CenTex

I typically take off 4-6 weeks at the end of every season.  That's my "family" time where I work out sporadically, if at all. 

From that point, once I start working out again, I spend 3-4 weeks focusing on running.  I try and run at least 5-6x per week but no more than 4 miles in length.  The point is to rebuild the neuro-pathways and build a solid run base.  It also trains my body to actively recover.  After that first 30 days of run training, I will add in cycling and a little swimming and reduce running to 4x per week.  One of these becomes a long run and I increase the duration of the run to fit my training plan for whatever race is upcoming.

Don't know if that's for everyone but it works for me.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » A Weekly Long Run - An Off-Season Requirement? Rss Feed