General Discussion Race Reports! » The Palm Beaches Marathon Waterfront 5K Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

The Palm Beaches Marathon Waterfront 5K - Run5k

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
West Palm Beach, Florida
United States
The Palm Beaches Marathon Festival
65F / 18C
Total Time = 27m 43s
Overall Rank = 256/697
Age Group = M35-39
Age Group Rank = 19/30
Pre-race routine:

Picked Emma up from her mom's, had a bagel, got to race site about 30 mins before start.
Event warmup:

Quick jog with E
Run
  • 27m 43s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 08m 55s  min/mile
Comments:

Started out staying a few feet back from Emma (she didn't want me to run next to her so I wouldn't slow her down), but she pulled away by mile one. I didn't feel like I went out too fast, was at about 8:45 at the 1 mi mark, which was slower than the Turkey Trot, so I was doing well. Heart rate not too high. My goal was just to run, not to try and go fast. Skipped by the water station and when I hit the 2mi marker I saw my time was right at 18 mins. Avg 9min/mi. Still felt good, so a quick calc that a 10 min mi would get me in at about 29 mins, I decided I felt good enough to push it and try to beat last week's time. Got to the 3 mi clock and from about 100 yds away I could see it approaching 27, with about .2 mi to go. I turned on the speed and pushed as hard as I could to beat 28. Couldn't remember what my prior PB was, but I knew anything under 28 would be great. Crossed at 27:43 so I'm very happy. Also, I finished in the top 50% rather than BOP for the first time :)

Also saw Emma at finish line, she hit her new PB of 23:36 giving her 6th place out of 63 in the 14&under girls div (she's 8!).
What would you do differently?:

Nada!
Post race
Warm down:

Met up with Emma and Di, walked to car, hit Cheesecake Factory for celebratory dinner.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Still only up to 10-15 mi per week. Shins hurt slightly, but not enough tonight to slow me down.

Event comments:

Good race, would do again if not signed up for HM or Mary. I'm sure that much of the real competition didn't race to save up for the sunday marathon, but I'm ok with that.

Last updated: 2010-11-16 12:00 AM
Running
00:27:43 | 03.11 miles | 08m 55s  min/mile
Age Group: 19/30
Overall: 256/697
Performance: Good
Course: Out and back Flagler from Clematis up to Currie Park. FLAT
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2010-12-03 11:36 PM

User image

Regular
Jupiter, FL
Subject: The Palm Beaches Marathon Waterfront 5K
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » The Palm Beaches Marathon Waterfront 5K Rss Feed