General Discussion Triathlon Talk » fully out of the weight room and it feels goooood Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-12-04 8:53 AM

Expert
Subject: fully out of the weight room and it feels goooood
But i don't know whether it is good.  I am 21 y/o and have been training for a HIM, doing about 3 mi of swimming, 15 of running and 60 or so of biking every week.  I was previously a college tennis player but kind of a meathead at the same time.  Really loved to lift and doing things like bench pressing 300lbs+ were always such achievements for me.

Now that I look back it seems really stupid as all I want to do is be healthy, thin, and in good cardio shape.  The swimming has definitely made up for a lot of this and I look a little thinner but just as strong as before.  I know for sure that I am better off doing the HIM than continuing on a weight lifting course, but was hoping I could mix both.  Time and energy has said no.  Is it fine to just stop cold like this? Should I be worried about trying to get back in the weight room or effects this might have?  I don't know if I ever will try and get back in the weight room but I guess it's not out of the question. 

2010-12-04 10:48 AM
in reply to: #3236441

User image

Master
Lafayette, IN
Subject: RE: fully out of the weight room and it feels goooood
Just some opinions from someone who spent 10 years doing 4X week weight training, then switched to running, then tris working up to full Ironman.  (though I never hit 300 on the benchSmile)

First off, weight training is a proven method of physical fitness.  You will most likely be the most balanced physically if you stick to weight training and add some cardio.  I am 50 and as you age, hanging on to muscle mass and strength becomes a real factor in being able to do things as  you get older.

If you have the time, like a pro, you can be in IM condition and still be a balanced athlete.  For me however this was not the case.  The training load for swim, bike,and run plus other life responsibilities meant I had to let the gym go early on in IM training.  Because of this and the amount of training hours I put in, I lost 18 lbs or so leading up to my IM.  After the IM, I did not feel invincible or "super fit".  I mostly felt tired, burned out, and weak(other than IM fitness).

So, now I am back in the gym weight training and I have gained back 12 lbs so far and I feel fantastic.  No cardio right now, but I will start swimming at the first of the year.

At 21, your body will respond differently than at 50 most likely.  Somewhere around 30, I too decided that I want to be thin, healthy and in good cardio condition.  After all, if you don't have a strong heart, what good are big, defined pecs and triceps! I just am going to strive for balance now.  I will stay in the gym, and I will swim, bike and run.  But most likely nothing longer than Oly distance and maybe a HIM once a year will be in my short term future.

Just remember, above all else, KEEP MOVING! 
2010-12-04 1:01 PM
in reply to: #3236441

User image

Payson, AZ
If you don't want to lift weights to gain bulk then that's no biggy.  Sounds like your done with that.  However, you might want to consider keeping some short 30 min or so 2x's a week functional strength training in your plan.  This will help you balance out your muscles and although not guarantee you not to have an injury it will help prevent any muscle imbalance type injuries.  Functional strength moves, with or without weights, shouldn't add any bulk to you at all.
2010-12-04 6:05 PM
in reply to: #3236510

Expert
The training load for swim, bike,and run plus other life responsibilities meant I had to let the gym go early on in IM training.  

Awesome advice for the entire post but this select bit hits the nail on the head.  I suppose in between training for Tri's, I can get back in the weight room.  While I'm on the 20-week HIM program there is really no way I can.

I actually hate getting back in to the weight room after a hiatus and not being as strong as I used to but I guess I'll just have to suck it up when the time comes.  About the weight--I'm 6'2" and 195-200lbs (195 now) with about 8% body fat.  I'm really excited to see what weight I end up at.

Even though it is still meat headed, I kind of want big muscles in addition to the health and cardio shape.  The swimming is making me look good for now (and my girlfriend agrees!) but I don't want a runners body as it's not a good look for me.  I guess at the end of my HIM I'll have to see if/when my next one is, and then take it from there.

Sound like a good approach? 
2010-12-04 6:06 PM
in reply to: #3236591

Expert
bzgl40 - 2010-12-04 1:01 PM If you don't want to lift weights to gain bulk then that's no biggy.  Sounds like your done with that.  However, you might want to consider keeping some short 30 min or so 2x's a week functional strength training in your plan.  This will help you balance out your muscles and although not guarantee you not to have an injury it will help prevent any muscle imbalance type injuries.  Functional strength moves, with or without weights, shouldn't add any bulk to you at all.

What are some functional strength training things you know of?  I've been doing biweekly yoga (switching to weekly) to try and prevent injuries. 
2010-12-04 6:45 PM
in reply to: #3236779

User image

Payson, AZ
JG_GreenCoast - 2010-12-04 4:06 PM
bzgl40 - 2010-12-04 1:01 PM If you don't want to lift weights to gain bulk then that's no biggy.  Sounds like your done with that.  However, you might want to consider keeping some short 30 min or so 2x's a week functional strength training in your plan.  This will help you balance out your muscles and although not guarantee you not to have an injury it will help prevent any muscle imbalance type injuries.  Functional strength moves, with or without weights, shouldn't add any bulk to you at all.

What are some functional strength training things you know of?  I've been doing biweekly yoga (switching to weekly) to try and prevent injuries. 

Actually, if your doing yoga you got it covered IMO.  Many of the best functional strength exercises are with body weight alone and in yoga (depending on what your doing really) you really get some strength workout with the stretching and you get a pretty good bang for you buck. 

But:
  • Pushing: pushups, dips
  • Pulling: pull ups, inverted rows
  • Power: squats
  • Explosiveness: plyometrics, burpees

2010-12-05 7:13 AM
in reply to: #3236777

User image

Master
Lafayette, IN
Awesome advice for the entire post but this select bit hits the nail on the head.  I suppose in between training for Tri's, I can get back in the weight room.  While I'm on the 20-week HIM program there is really no way I can.

I actually hate getting back in to the weight room after a hiatus and not being as strong as I used to but I guess I'll just have to suck it up when the time comes.  About the weight--I'm 6'2" and 195-200lbs (195 now) with about 8% body fat.  I'm really excited to see what weight I end up at.

Even though it is still meat headed, I kind of want big muscles in addition to the health and cardio shape.  The swimming is making me look good for now (and my girlfriend agrees!) but I don't want a runners body as it's not a good look for me.  I guess at the end of my HIM I'll have to see if/when my next one is, and then take it from there.

Sound like a good approach? 

I think so.  I know how you feel about not being as strong.  I feel the same way, but I am finding that the strength comes back more quickly than it came the first time around.   For me, there are "seasons" of events and goals I have.  In 2010 it was to finish an IM.  I focused on that and was successful.  I will figure out what I want to do in 2011 and train accordingly.  I say, train for a successful HIM, focusing on doing what it takes to do that, not worrying about anything else.  When you achieve that goal, reassess where you are at physically and set a new goal.  It may be to get back in the gym and regain that 300 bench or it may be something else. 
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » fully out of the weight room and it feels goooood Rss Feed