General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Titanium or Carbon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-12-04 12:26 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Overlea/Fullerton Maryland
Subject: Titanium or Carbon
So i'm sure this debate has been brought up before so sorry for the "one more time" but...

I'm still doing research on what the best bike for me is going to be when I buy in the spring. Just about everything is carbon these days. Most of the bikes I like are carbon. My budget will be in the $2500 to $3000 range when I decide to buy and I am in no way opposed to previously used or new old stock, or even a frame set build up as opposed to a complete bike.

having said that what is everyone's opinion on titanium frames over carbon. The only possibility i've found for titanium is Litespeed. Either the Saber or Blade.  The 09 Blade seems next to impossible to find or afford but the 07-08 sabers seem like a nice option.

Like this one
http://www.realcyclist.com/litespeed-saber-triathlon-frameset-w-carbon-seatpost?CMP_ID=SH_FRO010&CMP_SKU=LTS0039&mv_pc=r126

the price on that one is high, ive seen them as low as $1300, and they are around.

So titanium would be less "aero" and possibly heavier but would the ride quality make up for what is lost to carbon in those areas? A nice set of carbon aero wheels to go with it would probabaly be a real nice ride.

I've heard some titanium owners swear by it and say they will never go with anything else.

Thoughts???

2010-12-04 1:42 PM
in reply to: #3236560

User image

Champion
Tacoma, Washington
Subject: RE: Titanium or Carbon
Grnfsh - 2010-12-04 10:26 AM I've heard some titanium owners swear by it and say they will never go with anything else.

That would be me. I did own a carbon frame (okay, it was a first generation Allez Epic, carbon tubes bonded to aluminum lugs). But Ti... It really is a "forever" bike frame. I've got a custom TiCycles Softride, and a frame that was reportedly made for Scott Tinley by QR. I also have other bikes in steel and aluminum, but these two ti bikes are my favorites. Less aero? The differences between frame "aero" and "non-aero" is a very minor portion of the rider/bike overall equation, way behind position, helmet, and wheels.
2010-12-06 8:08 AM
in reply to: #3236617

User image

Slower Than You
Cracklantaburbs
+1 to what briderdt said. A nice titanium frame is a thing of beauty. I would LOVE to get a hold of an older Litespeed Blade, or even a custom frame one day. One day...
2010-12-07 8:50 PM

I just bought a new titanium road bike.  Still riding carbon for the tri bike, but may upgrade that as well.  Check out Lynskey frames  http://www.lynskeyperformance.com/a/  My friend owns the tri bike shown on the home page and loves it. 

A lot just comes down to preference and comfort.  Take a few test rides, if you can and see what you like best.

I've had carbon 4 years and I"m on my 2nd frame - have to super-baby that bike.   
2010-12-07 9:37 PM

User image

Veteran
I have a carbon road bike (Fuji SL1) and a carbon tri bike (Kestrel Airfoil).  I really love the lightweight of carbon but I did suffer a cracked frame earlier this year.  While I got the frame repaired, it has me seriously considering titanium for my next road bike. 

While a lot of people will argue that carbon is strong, I still believe that it is more "fragile" than metal.  My carbon SL1 was never crashed, but the non-drive side seat stay snapped.  Failures can happen with other materials, but I believe that it is more likely with carbon. 

Also, I know guys who show up to the group rides with 10+ year old steel or ti frames.  Rarely will you fine a 10+ year old carbon frame on the group rides.

I love the ride of carbon but the steel/ti group will tell you that the ride of steel is more lively.

I've been looking at the Lynskey Cooper.  I've seen some great reviews of the bike.  I'm also considering Soul bikes.  They have a cool looking ti tri frame.

Also, if you're looking to save money, the Motobecane Le Champion Ti has gotten some great reviews.

Ray
2010-12-07 10:05 PM

User image

Pro
Titanium is obviously the better material for bikes.  And you can tell this is true, because every single bicycle manufacturer has moved away from Carbon towards Titanium in the last few years.

(note:  red, italic font is an indication of sarcasm

2010-12-08 8:09 AM
in reply to: #3240618

User image

Veteran
morey000 - 2010-12-07 9:05 PM Titanium is obviously the better material for bikes.  And you can tell this is true, because every single bicycle manufacturer has moved away from Carbon towards Titanium in the last few years.

Manufacturers have embraced carbon because it is more economical to do so.  Carbon is vastly easier to produce and the raw material is more abundant.  A titanium frame requires labor (i.e. welding, shaping) whereas a carbon frame can be mass produced in an automated factory.  Carbon frame are significantly cheaper to produce than titanium, which results in greater profits. 

Also, carbon frames are more disposable and over a period of ten years, a manufacturer is likely to sell 2-3 carbon frames for every titanium frame.

Of course, carbon has superior qualities.  There is a reason why Lance and the other pros are o carbon vice titanium.

Titanium is a good choice for a bike if:

-You want a bike that will last you for at least 10 years (it may not happen, but it's probable)

-You want the smooth, responsive ride of steel (and yes, carbon can deliver a smooth ride too)

-You aren't concerned about getting the lightest or the latest technology

-You like being a little different

-You like quality craftsmanship.  Most Ti frames are a work of art.

Ray

2010-12-08 8:59 AM
in reply to: #3240862

User image

Veteran
SE TX
rjp7204 - 2010-12-08 8:09 AM Titanium is a good choice for a bike if:

-You want a bike that will last you for at least 10 years (it may not happen, but it's probable)

-You want the smooth, responsive ride of steel (and yes, carbon can deliver a smooth ride too)

-You aren't concerned about getting the lightest or the latest technology

-You like being a little different

-You like quality craftsmanship.  Most Ti frames are a work of art.

Ray

Yes to all the above. I did not seek out Ti specifically, but I lucked into a 1998 Litespeed Blade for cheap as my first tri bike. It's in great shape: the only apparent wear is on the carbon pieces (fork and bars). I'll admit a little lust for the Felts and Cervelos that pass me on the course, but I also know it's the engine that's passing me, not the bike. As a new triathlete I couldn't ask for anything more than what my bike gives me. BTW I do training rides w/guys who ride carbon bikes and keep up just fine.
2010-12-08 10:29 AM

User image

Pro
well, if you like being a little different,
are less concerned about weight,
want a smooth ride,
appreciate fine craftsmenship,
and aren't into the latest technology-
then perhaps these are the bikes for you:

www.renovobikes.com

yes- it's made out of wood.

Edited by morey000 2010-12-08 10:32 AM

(triside.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
triside.JPG (40KB - 14 downloads)
2010-12-08 12:42 PM
in reply to: #3240618

User image

Extreme Veteran
morey000 - 2010-12-07 11:05 PM Titanium is obviously the better material for bikes.  And you can tell this is true, because every single bicycle manufacturer has moved away from Carbon towards Titanium in the last few years.

while you are correct that not even Litespeed sells Ti Tri frames any longer. It has nothing to do with what is better and everything to do with profit margin.
2010-12-08 12:57 PM
in reply to: #3241193

User image

Extreme Veteran
morey000 - 2010-12-08 11:29 AM well, if you like being a little different,
are less concerned about weight,
want a smooth ride,
appreciate fine craftsmenship,
and aren't into the latest technology-
then perhaps these are the bikes for you: