Site Issues Training Log & Site Support » Request: Custom Training Plans Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-08-03 11:23 AM

User image

Expert
Jackson, Mississippi
Subject: Request: Custom Training Plans
Hey Ron..

I was thinking about something the other day..

I've done my first two Tris.. the second one being my "A" race where I set my training plan to end. I have my third this weekend and what i did for it was to get another plan and start it in the middle so the plan would match up with the race.

After this race on sunday I have another race.. But since i'm in the middle of training.. I don't really want to go back on my training times.. I want to keep building my base and then eventually start working on some speed.

I was thinking that maybe (and this would probably be a pretty good chunk of work) you could have a custom plan creator made that would allow us to enter in distances where we are currently training and have the week +10% + 10% + 10% - 20% algorithim calculate out the whole training plan for a desired number of weeks or days.

other ideas would be.. tell the script which days you want your short, medium, long runs/swim/bike.. what day(s) to rest..

This is i guess all assuming that all of the training plans that you have been posting are based on teh +10% rule. I don't think it would take the place of all of them.. (but I do think it should only be available to gold members, which I'll become in 1 month )

Let me know your thoughts on this.. I think it may be a good idea..
Also let me know if I didn't make any sense

Will

2005-08-03 11:38 AM
in reply to: #215057

User image

Champion
Subject: RE: Request: Custom Training Plans

uh...oh...your thinking again!

i understand completely.  and yes, any of the 2x, 3x or focused plans were made using the same 'algorithm' - or rules.

it can be done, the programming part...i see no problems.  i guess this would be geared toward those wanting to have some 'structure' with some solid rest/build principles like the main site programs...BUT also those who plan the details of there own workouts themselves...

it will also assume that the person knows best how to schedule there own run/swim/bike days within a week...it may not be optimal for performance as to how they stack them, BUT it would be optimal to their LIFESTYLE...for which something the other plans lack.

so up till now we are all good.

the only concern i will have to address is the 'in between' times.  cuz a person (shouldnt) go from sprint to IM with back-to-back plans in a year...cuz its not good to keep building...one may (or should) take a month or two to just 'maintain' between distances...maybe this goes back to keep it with some general rules but hoping the person has enough knowledge to use it correctly over the long-term.

i will think about how this could work...

anybodys thoughts?

2005-08-03 11:46 AM

User image

Expert
Jackson, Mississippi
Ok.. I think i see..

Just as you should have a rest day during the week.. and a taper/rest week duiring the month.. It is also good to have a month or two to just maintain your distances/times so you body can heal and get used to where it is.. that sound right?

So it would be a bad idea for me (who started sprint training in march) to tack an 1/2 IM or IM program on to the end of my sprint training and just keep rolling up the times and distances?

Would a simple disclaimer/recommendation work well enough or at least CYA enough?

Thanks again.. I'll try to stop thinking but it's all I can do when I'm not training

ws
2005-08-03 3:40 PM
in reply to: #215097

User image

Champion

i'm not saying going right from a sprint or oly up to a 1/2 or full IM in one season will spell your doom...many have done it i'm sure...i just come from a more conservative stance...only go up to the next level once per season...at least from a newbie perspective, esp if you have some weight to lose...best to establish that 'deep base' before going to the next level...but really that needs to be determined on an individual basis.

so yes, a disclaimer of that nature would work...but i'm sure there are even general 'rules' that can be safely adopted in respect to building then establishing a base before moveing up...

i'll think about about it, ask some coaches...it would be a cool feature...

2005-08-03 3:42 PM

User image

Expert
Jackson, Mississippi
awesome..
Thanks ron..

New Thread
Site Issues Training Log & Site Support » Request: Custom Training Plans Rss Feed