United States
40F / 4C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 14m 46s
Overall Rank = 2218/5692
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 448/1089
Pre-race routine:

Woke up @ 4:30, ate banana, peanut butter/nutella sandwich. Drank lots of water and made our way to Fair Park.
Event warmup:

Trekked from parking lot to thw Women's Muesuem, sat around and just hung out until start.
Run
  • 2h 14m 46s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 10m 17s  min/mile
Comments:

This is my second half mary ever and goal was to beat previous half time of 2:32 from this March, run this race to the best of my ability and have fun.

The plan was to go nice and slow first 3 miles, gradually increasing to a comfortable hard pace 3-10 miles, and last 3 miles go faster if feeling it which should've resulted in a negative split run. I set my garmin display to just show time and had the auto lap function on but I turned all alerts off. I didn't want to worry about HR and splits. Umm, I didn't exactly stick to that plan.

It was in the 30's this morning and I started in corral M with my BF who was doing the full. We spent about 25 minutes just standing around waiting for them to let us go. I wore running tights and a tech shirt with an old sweatshirt that I could toss if I got too hot (which I did shortly after 2 miles). When they finally released our corral I had been freezing my arse off for 25 minutes and I went out alot faster than I should of. I didn't feel out of breath but at the 3 mile marker I glanced at my time and saw that I was at 31:xx which meant that I was running 10MM and some change. I started to kind of get nervous thinking that I was going to burn out but I felt good so I stayed at that pace. I saw my dear friend & teammate who moved away Lea, around mile 4 and gave her a quick hug and words of encouragement. Took GU at 5 miles, and at 6 I glanced at my time again and was shocked to see 1:03:XX. I was still holding pace....and I started to second guess myself again if I could hold it or not. I'm not a very good consistent runner, I'm kind of all over the place and my long training runs have been averaging anywhere from 13MM to 11:40 MM, so I wasn't really sure what my "comfortable hard pace" would be. I also have a tendency to go out too hard first 1-3 miles and get burned out the last few miles, plus the only race I've ever held 10MM were in short running races (open 5k, tri w/5k and tri w/2 mi) so that wasn't exactly helping my confidence that I could hold this pace or not for 13.1 miles. I made up my mind that I was going to try to hold it the second half of the race and if I blew up, I blew up. For the most part I felt good at this pace, but I was being distracted and fidgeting with a bunch of extra crap that I had. My HR strap was slipping and I was constantly trying to fix that (guess I was sweating so much), my ipod's earbud kept popping out of my ear and the cord was irritating me, my headband/ear muff kept slipping and sliding all over my head, and I was holding a bottle of water so I could bypass the first few aid stations and avoid crowds.....too much d@mn crap on me. So I was constantly fidgeting with something....I eventually gave up and just tucked my earbuds into my shirt and let my HR strap slip to around my waist. I finished my bottle of water and tossed that. 2nd GU at mile 9 and then at mile 10 I HAD to relieve my bladder. I was trying to hold it but the pressure was hurting. I wasn't going to be the gross chick that stunk like urine....I wasn't winning any awards so I stopped by a porta potty (bleh) and lost a few minutes here :( The last few miles really hurt, hip flexors, quads, lower back and bottom of feet were starting to tighten up and hurt. I just hung on and ran it in to the end.

Overall, I'm really happy with this run. I beat my time by almost 18 minutes, and I was over a minute faster per mile than my half mary in March (and this one even included a potty break, ha!) I went under 2:15 and this run showed me that I can run at a faster pace and hold it. I don't always trust my training and I am guilty of not always being confident in myself, especially my running because it is my weakest area out of S/B/R.
What would you do differently?:

I think I nailed alot of things on this race (nutrition, hydration, apparell) but I had a lot of issues with my "extras".

I brought my ipod thinking that I would need it to get me through the race, but I should've known that I would be fine without it since I ditched it after 4 today and I've been doing most of my runs without it. I should've tightened my HR strap as much as I sweat, guess I didn't think I would have an issue with it because I've been running with it. I think my headband was just filled with sweat and that is why it was slipping down. I did practice with all the things that were giving me issues and Sh!t happens but I did let it kind of get to me. Oh, and pay attention to what the volunteers are handing out, I know my tummy doesn't like gatorade and I accidently grabbed a cup....tummy not so happy right now. Bleh.
Post race
Warm down:

Saw Coach Tommy, Sharon at the end, grabbed water, some food and shuffled to the car to change out of wet shirt. Put on finishers shirt and a sweatshirt that I had in the car and shuffled back to hang out with Derek. Hung out, shuffled around, saw Charles come through the finishing stretch.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I'm just slow....but I'm shuffling faster!!! :)

Event comments:

Post race food was "meh", but at least they had plenty of water, bananas, oranges and chewy bars this year. I heard last year was a cluster "you know what"

Last updated: 2010-08-25 12:00 AM
Running
02:14:46 | 13.1 miles | 10m 17s  min/mile
Age Group: 448/1089
Overall: 2218/5692
Performance: Good
Splits: (10:22, 10:22, 10:15, 10:18, 10:12, 9:57, 10:13, 10:06, 10:24, 9:39, 11:26, 9:53, 9:23, 1:03)
Course: Course through Dallas.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2010-12-05 5:59 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Addison
Subject: Dallas White Rock Half Marathon

2010-12-06 8:22 PM
in reply to: #3237489

User image

Master
Frisco, Texas
Subject: RE: Dallas White Rock Half Marathon
Congrats on a PR! I think you paced the race well.  Looking at your splits, it appears you did a good job negative splitting the race.  I'm sure your HR data would show the same.  Great job!
2010-12-07 9:37 AM
in reply to: #3237489

User image

Expert
Rowlett, TX

Woot Woot!! PR Baby!! Super Sweet run. I am very impressed. Looks like I will pace off you at the next one.

2010-12-07 11:30 AM
in reply to: #3239522

User image

Champion
the colony texas
great job out there
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Dallas White Rock Half Marathon Rss Feed