United States
40F / 4C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 44m 8s
Overall Rank = 697/9580
Age Group = M 40-44
Age Group Rank = 83/665
Pre-race routine:

Didn't get good sleep the previous night; Left the house around 6am, but bad traffic at freeway exit. Didn't get parked until 7:45am, which messed up pre-race and warm-up routine a little bit. Had a Clif Bar on the drive over as breakfast.
Event warmup:

Got there late so 'warm-up' consisted of the run from the car to the start area. Didn't make it early enough to make it to the pace group that I wanted to keep in sight. Took a Hammer Gel about 10-15 min before start.
Run
  • 1h 44m 8s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 07m 57s  min/mile
Comments:

Since I didn't get to warm-up, had to use the first mile or so to warm-up. I don't know if it's because I didn't get a good night's sleep or the adrenaline but my heart rate was higher than normal and wouldn't go down, even though my RPE felt pretty low. This contributed to me being a bit too conservative in my pacing. Around Mile 2, I thought I felt something drop off my pocket and didn't think anything of it. At Mile 3, I was looking for my Endurolyte electrolyte pills and realized that I had dropped the container! I was worried I would cramp up during the race - so another factor that kept me pretty conservative. I resorted to drinking gatorade on the course so I can get some electrolytes. I was definitely in a slower group of people as I got passed by 3 people during the entire race (and kept all of them in sight as they passed somewhere around mile 10) and spent most of the time passing a lot. I have to remember to get to the race earlier next time and start off with a faster-paced crowd so I wouldn't be trying to get around people so much. At the start, I quickly realized I overdressed. Lost my beanie cap, neck warmer by mile 2, and the 2nd pair of gloves by mile 3. Really didn't need them except for waiting for the start. By Mile 3, I had my 2nd layer jersey unzipped. I ran the race at a pretty comfortable pace and probably should have pushed harder earlier. Didn't start going faster until about 7.5 miles (and was getting a little bit more running room at the time) and by then, I had already lost at least a couple of minutes. I finished the race comfortably and felt that I left way too much on the table - but it was my first half-marathon and I guess it's ok to err on the conservative side.
What would you do differently?:

Get to venue earlier so I can get a decent warm-up in and also line up with people around the same pace. I felt that I spent way too much time trying to get around people, doing a lot of slowing and speeding up to get through gaps. I would also secure my electrolyte pills better or divide them up so I would have some handy for at least part of the race. I started pushing a little bit more at 7.5 mile point. Should've started it closer to 3-4 mile point - would've saved around 2 minutes.
Post race
Warm down:

jogged around the finish area and stretched. Waited for friends for close to an hour. Had yogurt, banana, and beer while relaxing then headed over to Mi Cocina for lunch.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Inexperience racing the distance; losing electrolyte pills; not warming-up; being over-dressed; Probably had at least another minute or two on the table without stretching too much harder.

Event comments:

This was my first big race experience (over 20,000 participants between marathon, half-marathon, and relay). Very well organized. Lots of water stations and clear signage. Lots of volunteers; nice entertainment along the way; organized at the end. My Garmin did show me as running 13.3 miles. Don't know if it's that inaccurate that I ran an extra 0.2 miles. Some of it was definitely weaving and not running tangents but seems at least a minute long. I will definitey do this race again next year!

Last updated: 2010-08-26 12:00 AM
Running
01:44:08 | 13.1 miles | 07m 57s  min/mile
Age Group: 82/665
Overall: 664/9580
Performance: Average
http://connect.garmin.com/activity/58908215
Course: Fairly flat. short gradual uphill in the middle. fairly flat/downhill for last 3 miles.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2010-12-05 11:47 PM

User image

Expert
Plano, National Capital Region
Subject: Dallas White Rock Half Marathon

2010-12-07 9:42 AM
in reply to: #3237753

User image

Expert
Rowlett, TX
Subject: RE: Dallas White Rock Half Marathon
Nice race and great time. Looks like you learned alot at this one to crush the next one even more.
2010-12-07 3:22 PM
in reply to: #3239530

User image

Expert
Plano, National Capital Region
Subject: RE: Dallas White Rock Half Marathon
Thanks!  Looking forward to my next one - which is likely the Rock'n'Roll Dallas half.  In the meantime, I'm going to run some 5K/10Ks and see if I can learn to race harder.  I'd like to go under 100 minutes before the end of next year.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Dallas White Rock Half Marathon Rss Feed