General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bikes bikes bikes Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-12-06 6:50 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area
Subject: Bikes bikes bikes
I currently have a road bike -- Trek Madone -- and I just completed my first season of tri.  I am interested in getting a 140.6 worthy tri bike.  I test rode a Felt B16 and a Look 576 which is what they had in stock in my size.  I liked them both (did not love either of them).  I liked the Rival shifters on the Look.  I liked the feel of the aero bars on the Felt.

My road bike is a lot more agile and I guess that's to be expected (my entire tri bike experience consists of these two short test rides).  I'm just not sure where to go from here.  Try the Kuota KFactor if I can find one in my size?  Wait for the 2011 Cervelos to arrive in a few months?  Try to get the Felt more dialed in?

Really, I'm a little lost here and I'd appreciated some advice.

I'm trying to keep the total transaction (bike + saddle + pedals) to the $3000 range. 

Also considering Cosmic Carbone SL wheels.  I have Ksyrium SLs on my road bike and love them!

2010-12-06 7:27 AM
in reply to: #3237822

User image

Champion
Charlottesville, Virginia
Subject: RE: Bikes bikes bikes
jmkizer - 2010-12-06 7:50 AM I currently have a road bike -- Trek Madone -- and I just completed my first season of tri.  I am interested in getting a 140.6 worthy tri bike.  I test rode a Felt B16 and a Look 576 which is what they had in stock in my size.  I liked them both (did not love either of them).  I liked the Rival shifters on the Look.  I liked the feel of the aero bars on the Felt.

My road bike is a lot more agile and I guess that's to be expected (my entire tri bike experience consists of these two short test rides).  I'm just not sure where to go from here.  Try the Kuota KFactor if I can find one in my size?  Wait for the 2011 Cervelos to arrive in a few months?  Try to get the Felt more dialed in?

Really, I'm a little lost here and I'd appreciated some advice.

I'm trying to keep the total transaction (bike + saddle + pedals) to the $3000 range. 

Also considering Cosmic Carbone SL wheels.  I have Ksyrium SLs on my road bike and love them!

First I would go get a fit done, they should then be able to give you stack and reach numbers which will help you narrow down your search, some bikes are longer, some are taller, even though the bike says M or L, those can be quite different between brands.

Some shops have an "exit"  or "fit" bike they can put you on to help get those numbers.  Most bike shops are going to fit you on what they have (which makes sense) but that might not be the right bike for you, all those brands you mentioned fit very differently.
2010-12-06 8:20 AM
in reply to: #3237858

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area
They did the measurements and put them on a worksheet but I didn't ask for the stack and reach numbers.  I was on a 2011 Felt B16 (52) and was told that I'd be a 51 on a Cervelo and Small on a Kuota K-Factor.  The shop I was at had the Felt and a Look in stock in an appropriate size (did not note the size on the Look).  I wanted to compare the Felt with something other than my road bike which is how the Look came into the picture. 

There is another shop that's fairly local that carries Kuota and I will go over there to try that out.  I'm feeling a little lost with my tri bike shopping.  The feel of the tri bike is so different from my road bike I'm just not sure if I'm heading in the right direction or....
2010-12-06 8:32 AM

User image

Veteran
Bedford, NH
Your Trek Madone is most likely IM worthy, depending on what your goals are (finish, podium, MOP, FOP, etc).  Also, keep in mind that it will take a while to get used to a tri bike and it will not feel as agile as your road bike.

I agree with the other advice.  Get fitted and see what bikes will fit you best and go from there.  It may mean having to wait until a bike that fits you is avail.  Especially on a longer tri, you want to be super comfortable on the bike and the best way to do this is to get properly fitted and then spend a lot of time on the bike to adjust to this new position.  You can continue to fine tune the fit over time as your body adjusts to this new position.

Does your $3K budget also include wheels?  Would you be ok just using the wheels that come with the bike or using your Ksyriums?  The wheels that come on the Felt will likely be more aerodynamic than the Ksyriums, but not as good as a set of race wheels.
2010-12-06 8:36 AM
in reply to: #3237950

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area
mjengstrom - 2010-12-06 9:32 AM Your Trek Madone is most likely IM worthy, depending on what your goals are (finish, podium, MOP, FOP, etc).  Also, keep in mind that it will take a while to get used to a tri bike and it will not feel as agile as your road bike.

I agree with the other advice.  Get fitted and see what bikes will fit you best and go from there.  It may mean having to wait until a bike that fits you is avail.  Especially on a longer tri, you want to be super comfortable on the bike and the best way to do this is to get properly fitted and then spend a lot of time on the bike to adjust to this new position.  You can continue to fine tune the fit over time as your body adjusts to this new position.

Does your $3K budget also include wheels?  Would you be ok just using the wheels that come with the bike or using your Ksyriums?  The wheels that come on the Felt will likely be more aerodynamic than the Ksyriums, but not as good as a set of race wheels.

No, the budget does not include wheels.  Should there be any money left after the bike + saddle + pedals, it will go into the future wheels pot. 
2010-12-06 8:43 AM
in reply to: #3237930

User image

Veteran
Bedford, NH
jmkizer - 2010-12-06 9:20 AM They did the measurements and put them on a worksheet but I didn't ask for the stack and reach numbers.  I was on a 2011 Felt B16 (52) and was told that I'd be a 51 on a Cervelo and Small on a Kuota K-Factor.  The shop I was at had the Felt and a Look in stock in an appropriate size (did not note the size on the Look).  I wanted to compare the Felt with something other than my road bike which is how the Look came into the picture. 

There is another shop that's fairly local that carries Kuota and I will go over there to try that out.  I'm feeling a little lost with my tri bike shopping.  The feel of the tri bike is so different from my road bike I'm just not sure if I'm heading in the right direction or....

Sounds like they are trying to size you to the bikes they have and not tell you which bike would fit you best.  You can make most bikes fit (assuming the size is correct), but you may have to make concessions (comfort, aerodynamics, ride quality, ability to adjust in the future, etc).  Its better to start with a bike that fits you best.  For example, to fit you on one bike, they may have to add lots of spacers and use a larger stem angle, which could change the riding characteristics of the bike.  These bikes have very different geometries so I would guess some will fit you better than others.  Did they tell you which they would recommend base on your measurements?

2010-12-06 12:14 PM

User image

Pro
, New Hampshire
Mike is absolutely correct! Start with a good bike fit, not just one where they take a few of your body measurements and then try to sell you whatever they have in stock based on that... that's not a bike fit. It should include an interview to find out what type of racing you intend to do, the terrain you ride in, previous or current injuries/issues, what your goals are etc. Then comes flexibility, core strength and body measurements. And first after all that (which is the majority of the time spend during a bike fit) would you be put on a fit bike. This should generate a fairly detailed description of what geometry would fit you and with this, you can purchase a bike. Doing it the other way around is not the best... yes, you can get lucky and just end up with the perfect bike, or you can get lucky and at least the bike can be fitted to you, or worse case, you simply can't be fitted to the bike without going to the extreme...
2010-12-06 1:57 PM
in reply to: #3238367

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area
I'm not sure that your assessment is accurate.  We did the body measurements and the interview.  We discussed what they had in stock and what as on order and I tried a bike that they recommended.  When I said that I needed something to compare with it they put me on another tri bike. 

I just feel a little unsure about tri bikes.
2010-12-06 11:49 PM
in reply to: #3237930

User image

Master
Midlothian, VA
jmkizer - I was on a 2011 Felt B16 (52) and was told that I'd be a 51 on a Cervelo and Small on a Kuota K-Factor.  

!
Careful.  I was fit onto 51s on Cervelos and was told otherwise I'd probably be a 54.  My new B16 is a 54 and fits awesome.

As another poster already stated, be careful as the shop might have been steering you to stock not your perfect size(s).

-eric
2010-12-07 6:39 AM
in reply to: #3239205

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area
Thanks for the warnings.
2010-12-07 7:05 AM

User image

Master
Lafayette, IN
Well, I will play devil's advocate here and say there is too much emphasis put on bike fit.  I have had fits done by several fitters over the years and each one tweaked my position on the bike.  If bike fit was so exact that only one bike would work, then no matter who does your fitting, they should all set you up exactly the same.  This also does not take into consideration that your flexibility, strengths, and physical issues play a part in how the fitter sets you up on the bike.  Three months later, you may be more or less flexible and that could play a role in your fit.
Most good bike fitters can take a few basic measurements and suggest a frame size that will work.  Saddles, stems, seatposts, cleat placement and aerobars are where the fine tuning and a great fit will come in.

All that said, your Madone is definately IM worthy like one of the other posters indicated.  A tri bike takes getting used to and if you are not comfortable with the handling, you will most likely be slower.  Comfort can be dialed in to your Madone for 112 miles.  I know, I rode my Tarmac in IM and felt great!

I know, I know you fit gurus are going to lambast me for this one.Smile  That's okay, I just think that people should know that the fit is not some magical formula that will make century rides and longer comfortable.  It takes time in the saddle to adjust your body too.

2010-12-07 9:08 AM
in reply to: #3239317

User image

Champion
Charlottesville, Virginia
Gregkl - 2010-12-07 8:05 AM Well, I will play devil's advocate here and say there is too much emphasis put on bike fit.  I have had fits done by several fitters over the years and each one tweaked my position on the bike.  If bike fit was so exact that only one bike would work, then no matter who does your fitting, they should all set you up exactly the same.  This also does not take into consideration that your flexibility, strengths, and physical issues play a part in how the fitter sets you up on the bike.  Three months later, you may be more or less flexible and that could play a role in your fit.
Most good bike fitters can take a few basic measurements and suggest a frame size that will work.  Saddles, stems, seatposts, cleat placement and aerobars are where the fine tuning and a great fit will come in.

All that said, your Madone is definately IM worthy like one of the other posters indicated.  A tri bike takes getting used to and if you are not comfortable with the handling, you will most likely be slower.  Comfort can be dialed in to your Madone for 112 miles.  I know, I rode my Tarmac in IM and felt great!

I know, I know you fit gurus are going to lambast me for this one.Smile  That's okay, I just think that people should know that the fit is not some magical formula that will make century rides and longer comfortable.  It takes time in the saddle to adjust your body too.

Very true, pretty much anyone can be fit on any bike and can be comfortable if you have a good fitter.  They make spacers, stems of varying lengths, you can change crank lengths, etc to change pretty much every bike.

I guess my thoughts on getting the pre-fit done is if you are investing a bunch of money into for many a long term investment, I want to make sure I am getting the best bike for me.

Getting fit on a bike that is closer to your measurements should hopefully allow you to eliminate a big stack of spacers which make a bike less aerodynamic thus slower (or makes you have to work harder to go faster).  And if you end up with a bike that is too long for you even putting a super short stem might not be enough or you'll end up at a > 90 degree angle and putting a lot more stress on your back.

And again, all that being said, if you dont' have a lot to choose from then pick the one that is closest (and within budget)

2010-12-07 12:31 PM
in reply to: #3239471

User image

Master
Lafayette, IN

Very true, pretty much anyone can be fit on any bike and can be comfortable if you have a good fitter.  They make spacers, stems of varying lengths, you can change crank lengths, etc to change pretty much every bike.

I guess my thoughts on getting the pre-fit done is if you are investing a bunch of money into for many a long term investment, I want to make sure I am getting the best bike for me.

Getting fit on a bike that is closer to your measurements should hopefully allow you to eliminate a big stack of spacers which make a bike less aerodynamic thus slower (or makes you have to work harder to go faster).  And if you end up with a bike that is too long for you even putting a super short stem might not be enough or you'll end up at a > 90 degree angle and putting a lot more stress on your back.

And again, all that being said, if you dont' have a lot to choose from then pick the one that is closest (and within budget)

Agreed!  Look how many people buy Cervelos, only to have to make significant alterations to make it fit because it is too low and they don't have the flexibility of a pro.  If they had bought a Look, for instance, they may have had to make minimal alterations.  I guess I am contradicting myself some here, I do believe in getting a fit prior, and looking for geometry closer to what the fit indicates.  Then dial it in and ride.  Ride lots.  Your body will make the final adjustments.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bikes bikes bikes Rss Feed