General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Hydration System on Tri Bike Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-12-09 1:11 PM

User image

Huntington Beach, CA
Subject: Hydration System on Tri Bike
Hello- I'll be getting a Felt B14, and I wanted to know if anyone has any suggestions or recommendations on a hydration system for it.  I'll be using it for training in my Sprint and Olympic distance tri races, and of course in the races itself. 
I was told to check out XLab's Mini Wing or the Turbo Wing.  Also was mentioned the Torpedo Aerobar Mount.

A friend of mine suggested that I would be better off using a rear hydration system for everday training, but on race day, use either the Torpedo Mount or a profile design aero drink bottle with a straw.

Any thoughts?
(and thank you)

2010-12-09 1:33 PM
in reply to: #3243139

User image

Subject: RE: Hydration System on Tri Bike

I use a camelback for long rides and I use a profile design with one resivour for races, I'll use it a week or two before a race just to get comfortable with it.

2010-12-09 1:49 PM

User image

Veteran
Bedford, NH
I see you posted this in the Gear section also - this is what I posted there...

Congratulations on your new Felt.  I am in the same boat.  My thoughts so far are to use a frame mount aero bottle for races and swap it for a conventional bottle holder for training.  For Sprint and Oly races I dont think I will need any more than 1 bottle on the bike.  Once I start doing longer rides outside again (Its winter here and I am on the trainer now), I may add a rear holder, but just use it for training rides.

While I havent tried one yet, I am not sure I want a bottle mounted on the aero bars.  Not sure I want the straw in my face and not sure if I have enough room with my computer (705) also mounted on the aero bars.  I have also heard some say the straw impacts aero dynamics.
2010-12-09 4:25 PM

User image

Veteran
Lakewood, CA
Here is the history of my bike drink solution:

Bike mounted Bottles and Cages - Thought I needed a more areo system with a straw...

Profile Design Aerodrink System - splashes everywhere and then it eventually launched off of my bike durring a race. Good riddens!

Rear mounted Bottles and Cages - Hard to reach bottles while riding and going through aid stations. Impossible to reach bottles in areo. Also, my bottles ejected all the time even with the $50 gorilla cages.

Speed Fill Hydration System - Speed Fill is not a bad solution but have decided I do not like sucking out of a tube when hammering.  Also, I do not need that much water on board my bike when aid stations are usually roughly 30 miles apart.

King Cage Top cap cage mount and bike mounted cage - I had to drill the hole in the King Cage a little to get my Top Cap from my Argon 18 E-114 to fit though it but it was easy.  There are now several between aero bar solutions available although I like the King Cage solution because the weight of the bottle goes down your stem and is not on your aero bars. I have realized that I do not need more that 2 bottles on my bike at any one time. I can drink while in aero and and I can easy reach the bottles. The aid stations in long races are roughly 30 miles apart and I can replace my bottle with their sports bottles (1 Gateraid/Poweraid and 1 Water).  I only need one bottle for an Oly and I take the cage off of the bike. I have realized that the easist soluton is the best and anything else just complicates things. YMMV
2010-12-09 4:33 PM

User image

Master
Midlothian, VA
Things like this are going to depend on what you are comfortable with and the logistics of your training rides and races. (Length, aid stations/water stops.)

I used a Camelbak for most training rides and races 2,3 and 4 (of four.)

My new B16 only has one cage boss and I don't like it.  I plan to put a side entry cage there later, but I bought an AeroHammock for the cockpit and it works great. Versatile too, it can hold many sizes of bottle as well as snacks, electronics, tools, whatever.

-eric
2010-12-10 2:26 PM

User image

Huntington Beach, CA
thanks everyone...these are all very helpful suggestions.  I think I'll go with a front hydration system without a straw (regular bottle mounted horiztonally on the aerobars) like the one Eric has on his bike.
What I forgot is my Garmin Edge 500.  I'll have to see if I can (1) mount my Garmin on my bike and (2) if it will get in the way of a horizontally mounted bottle. 

Depending on where I put my bike computer, that could affect which front race day hydration system I end up with.
I'll probably need to get the bike first, get the computer attached, and then play it from there.

Thanks again guys for your suggestions.

2010-12-10 7:28 PM
in reply to: #3244673

User image

Warrenton, VA
I have used a speedfil for my last 2 olympic races and it worked really well.  i can stay aero and sip any time i want and i keep the straw running parallel to my aero bars when i am not drinking.
2010-12-10 7:38 PM

User image

Master
Personally I am waiting for the new Torhans system to be available.  It will be out well before next year's season starts.
2010-12-10 7:45 PM

User image

Master
Midlothian, VA
Take another look at my picture, there's a little gray colored piece of round plastic attached to the left extension and my current computer is mounted on it. They come in black too and in different sizes.  I plan to move on to a 310xt in the future and the same piece will hold the mount for the Garmin no problem.

-eric
2010-12-10 7:58 PM

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
5hr sports drink aero bottle on the down tube.  Water in a torpedo.  Replace water on course.  That's my plan.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Hydration System on Tri Bike Rss Feed