General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Sizing on Workout Clothes for Athenas Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 1

2010-12-09 1:46 PM

User image

Veteran
DC
Subject: Sizing on Workout Clothes for Athenas

Around August I moved and started running outside a TON more. In October I noticed that my 2 capri length under armour running tights WILL NOT stay up for the first half mile of any run. The waist just slips down. They settle into place at somewhere around that half mile mark.

Obviously I need new stuff. It got colder and I’ve been wearing full length, colder temperature stuff instead. So the issue got less important as I could just choose to wear those instead or shorts inside the gym on a treadmill. The shorts aren’t great either.

My ultimate question is: when I buy the new stuff, what size?

This stuff is all roughly a year old. In that time I’ve been up as much as 60lbs, and am back down to about exactly where I was when I bought the stuff; still about 30lbs above my lowest ever, and happily back on track w/ regularly loosing weight.

Do I order the SAME size? Has all that up and down just tortured the fabric beyond all elasticity?

Is 1 yr all I can expect out of stuff? Should I start to keep tabs on it like running shoes so I can order ahead of time, and have the stuff on hand?

If I go by the size charts for different companies I USALLY fit into a smaller size based on height/weight or measurements. Been doing that for years w/ speedos for swim team since high school. Have I been doing it wrong all these years? Should I order a BIGGER size w/ the right numbers? Should I order a SMALLER size, given that the things won’t stay on?

Anyway – I am NOT HAPPY about wearing lycra type workout gear. I realize that it’s the best thing for the job, practically speaking. So I suck it up and wear it no matter what it looks like. Baggy running shorts just bunch up. Running on a treadmill I realized just how many DOZEN times per minute I had to yank the leg of the shorts back down into place. The stretchy/clingy type at least seem to settle in to where they’ll stay put after half a mile or so; and originally I didn’t even have that problem.

And yeah – I do this outside of tri too in the rest of my life. Generally it takes my entire group of friends to dress me appropriately for anything beyond jean or sweatpants. I’ve been told about a THOUSAND times, that my clothes are too big. “If I can get them on/off w/o undoing any zippers/buttons etc then they MUST be too big.”

2010-12-10 4:40 AM
in reply to: #3243197

User image

Veteran
Upstate NY
Subject: RE: Sizing on Workout Clothes for Athenas

Alright so I'm not a girl, I get that... but I can speak from my wife's experience.  She is a little sensitive about her weight and has had some similar issues as you with the lycra style workout clothing that is sold at most of the high end workout out gear stores.  She ended up finding what she wanted with Lorna Jane, simply as it was a little more loose fitting and made her much more comfortable when she was working out, particularly at the gym.

I don't know if it would work the same way for you, however she seems to have put them through lots of up and downs in terms of weight (I don't think it's like that but she informs me I'm on drugs and am suffering from cataracts!) without missing a beat.  

2010-12-10 4:51 AM

User image

Pro
Nutmeg State
Two things:

(1) Lululemon (lululemon.com).  Clothes come in actual sizes (8, 10, 12) rather than S, M, L, which generally makes for a much better fit. 

(2) Make sure you're following the care instructions on the clothing.  Training clothes are sensitive and if you're not you should be washing on gentle cycle in cool water and hang drying.  Doing this will help your clothes maintain their size and sports specific properties (e.g. wicking) longer. 
2010-12-10 6:28 AM

User image

Expert
you gained 60 (!) pounds and lost it over the course of the year?  And wore the same workout clothes during that time?  yeah, you ruined them.  I would get the same size as you bought last year.

FWIW, ordering the smaller size swimsuit from swim team is a speed thing.  my cousin used to order it two sizes smaller just to suck everything in as tight as possible.  When I stopped racing, I started order the right size swimsuit.  It is so much more comfortable.
2010-12-10 8:22 AM

User image

Veteran
DC

Thanks guys! I knew I would get straight answers!!

1) I do wash them w/ cold water & hang to dry, but not always on the gentle cycle; that I can fix.

2) I'll check lululemon. I drove by one on Wednesday and ALMOST stopped in. But I had a 20% off City Sports from my last race and kept wandering to look for a City Sports instead. There's another one I can hit this weekend. At least to try stuff on.

3) Money is a bit of an issue. Which is why I don't buy new cothes (work out gear or otherwise) until I HAVE to. The stretchy lycra stuff meant I didn't HAVE to as I went up & back down. As I replace that stuff I can get a variety of sizes, & switch them out. Past 3 years has been a general downward trend, & I've bought clothes I never even got to wear. It makes me even MORE hesitant to spend on stuff I might never use. I asked so I could buy it right instead of getting stuff I can't use.

4) For speedos, I'm actually not uncomfortable in them. I'm totally anti wetsuit & wear a speedo to swim, even in a race. I just put bike shorts on over it & a LOOSE sleeveless tech top. I won't wear the speedo so small that my skin is all oozing out, but I do appreciate that a little bit tight ends up working like a sports bra for running/biking. My regular nonworkout clothes are generally MUCH bigger/baggier. At least according to my friends who TRY to dress me. Got a lecture this past weekend trying on a bunch of dresses for a formal, that if I can get them on w/o unzipping then they are too big regardless of what they look/feel like.

I reallly have no clue what I'm even aiming at to declare that something "fits." And my friends can't help w/ the workout gear since they don't work out. I'll start w/ something the same size, which so far has been an underarmour xl, start using the gentle cycle. Then I'll check out lululemon this weekend where I can actually try stuff on in the store and ask the people who work there.

Also, I appreciate the guy's answer. Sounds like your wife and I are similar! Tell her I sympathize! Totally & completely. Hopefully, she's found what makes training fun for her. I'm a swimmer first, and Speedos are comfortable/familar for me. In a race I just layer everything else over that. Started w/ baggy running shorts, but they kept bunching up. So I swallowed my pride and wear the stretchy kind instead so that the legs stay down in place.

For what it's worth, once I get out of the water in a tri the ONLY comment I get as people spend the rest of the race passing me is what a great swim I had. I'm usually starting in the last wave as an Athena. By definition everyone passing me had 5-10 min head start w/ their start wave & I passed them somewhere in the water. People are great! They just comment on a great swim as they whizz by at the mid point of the bike or so. No one has EVER said anything about the clothes or being slow. I know that, really, the self consciousness is in my head. It's still hard to do everday, putting on clothes I KNOW I should not be wearing to train. But it's what works, and apparently I'm the only one who worries. I hope your wife realizes the same.

2010-12-10 9:49 AM

User image

Champion
MA
I have under armour compression shorts that are 8" long for last 6 years that they are less compressive now than they were. My weight varies but maybe 10-12 pounds at most. My CW-X shorts are not as compressive after wearing them 4-5x a week for 2 years. One year seems like a short time for things to hold up.

If money is tight but a couple things that fit now and wash them a lot. Sounds like what you have is given out and wearing it with such variation in weight may have caused some issues with return to it's original shape if your weight is down again and things are falling off.

I always wear compression shorts that are longer for running..under armour or better CW-X. I know other athenas who order the men's compression shorts from CW-X.

2010-12-10 2:25 PM
in reply to: #3244181

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

If money is tight, don't waste your time going into Lululemon.   Their stuff is really nice, but WAY overpriced. 

I would recommend the big sport store (sounds like City Sports maybe?), I go to Dick's and Sport Authority.  I try things on, because each brand and style are different.  I have Reebok running tights I LOVE, but I am not beholden to any brand otherwise. 

I personally buy what fits good at the time. I don't find that the stretchy gear loses it's size and shape for me.  I wash normal cycle (cold) and dry if the tag says I can, without fabric softener sheets.  I have a lot of workout gear, like a really really lot, so I feel pretty experienced about this.

Good luck!

2010-12-13 11:16 AM

User image

Veteran
DC
Thanks again guys! I didn't get to lululemon - I appreciate the comment/info on them, but I just didn't get there before my weekend had run away from me!

Sounds like tri cloths are just like regular cloths, I need to try everything on and go shopping. Which I HATE HATE HATE. I bought some Nike running tights, and they're brand new and falling off. Same thing, half a mile into it I guess I start sweating and they "stick" into place. I should have held out, I'm anti Nike. 

Last year I entered the first race EVER as an adult, it was a 3 mile open water swim and picked up a few Nike brand, speedo style suits at Marshalls for cheap. They didn't last the couple of months training from Jan to the event in May. Speedos last FOREVER if you rinse them and take care of them. Had a bad experience w/ Nike sneakers for running too. But Nike was all they had in an XL, so I grabbed them. At least they were on sale.

I'll check out CW-X too. I ALWAYS get the compression style stuff for running bottome in a longer inseam. Cuts down on the chaffing of one leg against the other. I try to get a big baggy shirt to wear over it all and cover up as much as possible. But tops aren't as critical on omfort in terms of chaffing or practicality in terms of what gets the job done so I'll actually do all the training I should.

Thanks again guys!
2011-01-09 8:26 PM
in reply to: #3246762

User image

I would encourage you to go in to lululemon and try a few things on.  I mainly wear the tops and buy them in the sale I purchased some before christmas for my Mum for $19-$29 they always have a sale rack.  I buy the tops that are not tight around the bottom, flowy and cool.  I wear nothing else now and I wash them over and over and they still look great.  I have also tried some stuff on in the store and it looks awful, you just have to try.

Edited by lillychicago 2011-01-09 8:27 PM
2011-01-10 3:35 PM

User image

Delaware, OH
I wear UnderArmor and own 3pair of shorts at a time. My thighs rub together so by the time I wear a hole in them I'm ready for a smaller size. I find that 7" inseam is good. If I wear too large a size my flap bounces and I spend my workout pulling them up and yanking the leg holes down. I get my tops from Khols on sale. And yes if you can pull your pants off without un buttoning them they are too big.
2011-01-18 3:27 PM

User image

Veteran
DC
Thanks for your replies! I went on vacation and missed them til just now.

I'm thinking it really is a problem beign built insanely weirdly. The new Nike running tights, and the new underarmour running tights aren't working either. They fit in that they go on, but they slide right down even just walking to the entrance to the trail where I run. I don't think they're too big, as there is NO WAY I'm less than an XL. Running between a 16 & 18 right now for bottoms. 16s are tight, but go on (from most stores); 18s are probably slightly big since I'm told I wear my clothes too big anyway.

I have SUPER huge legs in relation to (relatively) tiny waist and hips. I can fell that in the legs there just isn't any more elastic to stretch, but the waist/hips aren't gripping or compressing the way the material is supposed to. Again these 2 pairs are brand new, so not streched out.

My old under armour running tights from last year still work fine. The full length ones that DIDN'T get stretched out since I wore shorts mostly on the treadmill indoors. Wore these once for a 10K and skiing once, the capri lenght ones are the ones that prompted me to post in the first place.

Just sucks as I have no money for replacing anything as it is, let alone these that didn't even work. Sooner or later it will be shorts weather again anyway. I ought to just get over it, and wear baggy shirts to cover it up when my pants slide down. Still holding out hope that I'll find something that works, and still open to any and all suggestions. If further info helps anyone think of something I could try, I lost 8 lbs on vacation and the problem seems worse than before I left. And again, I have gianormous legs, and everything else is smaller.

2011-01-25 7:11 AM
in reply to: #3243893

User image

Regular
Akron, OH
kaburns1214 - 2010-12-10 5:51 AM Two things:

(1) Lululemon (lululemon.com).  Clothes come in actual sizes (8, 10, 12) rather than S, M, L, which generally makes for a much better fit. 

(2) Make sure you're following the care instructions on the clothing.  Training clothes are sensitive and if you're not you should be washing on gentle cycle in cool water and hang drying.  Doing this will help your clothes maintain their size and sports specific properties (e.g. wicking) longer. 
I love lululemon, and their clothes make you look good!  And I second following the care instructions!
2011-01-26 3:30 AM

User image

Delaware, OH
Maybe you can poke a drawstring through the waist band?  Use a little Fray Block (Joann Fabrics) so the fabric does not unravel by the holes. 

Or suspenders
2011-01-26 7:34 AM

User image

Veteran
DC
Aysel - I've actually considered rigging something like that up! I'm not into sewing to try to properly install it by poking it through, but I thought about a belt or a shoe strieng tield around my waist w/ the waist band folded over it. Or something.

Thinking about that made me realize that it's 2 problems. The "compression" stuff, regardless of brand, grips better b/c it's supposed to. The same brand non compression slides down b/c it doesn't grip as well. The other problem is the length of the rise? (If that's what you call the length between the waist band and where the legs start on the center seam - I'm not sure).

I'm long torso'd and short legged. W/ big fat legs and a narrower waist. So I can barely pull them up high enough b/c my thighs don't really fit in the legs, then the waist is loose, and riding lower than it should to start w/. I think I'm going to try guy's stuff like Kathy suggested next.

Edited by asgate99 2011-01-26 7:36 AM
2011-01-26 2:08 PM
in reply to: #3322048

User image

Master
PNW
asgate99 - 2011-01-26 5:34 AM I'm long torso'd and short legged. W/ big fat legs and a narrower waist. So I can barely pull them up high enough b/c my thighs don't really fit in the legs, then the waist is loose, and riding lower than it should to start w/. I think I'm going to try guy's stuff like Kathy suggested next.

You just described me.  Long torso, short legs, huge thighs but smaller waist and hips. Men's stuff would NEVER work for me because they are usually cut for smaller legs and bigger waists.

I cannot wear any workout bottoms without a drawstring. Lately, I've had really, really good luck with compression capri length pants from Nike.  They come in multiple weights so that they can be good for summer or winter and they all have a nice elastic waist AND a drawstring.  I have ordered directly from Nike.com but I also got a couple of pairs from Dick's Sporting Goods.  I'm down to a medium in these, so I'm not sure of their full size range.  They are quite stretchy though in the legs, so if that is your size limiter, you might be able to go for a smaller size than usual.  So far, they have lasted well, but I don't put them in the dryer (I do use the washer though - and hang dry).

For tri specific bottoms, again, I need a drawstring.  My DeSoto shorts have a drawstring (the Carrera line) but my old Sugoi's do not and they won't stay up.  I haven't tried other brands yet, so I don't know what else I'll find.

Edited to add: I just saw that you didn't like Nike.  Sorry to hear that.  I actually swim in the Nike suits because they fit me best, but yeah, they won't last in chlorine.  No suit will unless its polyester (which is likely what your older Speedo's were).  My Nike suits are holding up now, but I now swim in a saline pool so it's much easier on them. 

Edited by GLC1968 2011-01-26 2:13 PM
2011-01-27 12:32 PM
in reply to: #3323035

User image

Veteran
DC
GLC - thanks on tip about the way guy stuff would fit. I had worried about that. I recently got new ski boots; well like 7 years ago, but since I only get in a day or so a year they FEEL brand new. I was describing the fat leg/skinny ankle problem to the guy at the shop and asked about trying on guys ski boots. He said exactly the same thing about guys stuff being the LAST thing I should try, that the fit would be worse. So I had worried it would be another dead end!  

I will try Lulu Lemon. I seem to be on track w/ loosing weight consistently again, w/ only 20 lbs or so to get back to my all time low. So even if like a 16 goes on and feel like I'm tortuing the fabric by stretching it all out, I can probably start grabbing stuff and going to check the sales rack every once in a while in anticipation of spring. Right now I am where I spent MOST of that year (2009. That entire year I think I only lost 40ish lbs total and was stuck at this curernt weight for a LONG time on the way down while my body shrank, and managed to keep it here for a LONG time on the way back up before the regain started really picking up (2010, w finally losing again started in Aug). Seems to be a weight/size that I have some prayer of staying at for long enough to justify spending money on cloths to fit. About to be Spring anyway if I can just hold out a few more weeks w/o the tights I didn't manage to find all winter.

And maybe give Nike another try. The bathing suits - you're right the problem was lack of polyester. I'm also just stuck on Speedo from WAY back. The sneakers was pre working out, and I didn't get fit in a run shop; had just bought them for like $30 at Marshalls and didn't know about sizing up for running since you're feet swell. And the tights I have now don't have a draw string. If I spot a set of Nike tights w/ a draw string, I'll suck it up and give Nike ANOTHER shot.

2011-01-27 12:32 PM
in reply to: #3323035

User image

Veteran
DC

Sorry double post

Edited by asgate99 2011-01-27 12:37 PM
2011-01-27 9:46 PM

New user

Pflugerville, TX
RE: Adding a drawstring.
It's not that hard to do. But it may not be the answer either. I do know how to sew and I just put a draw string in my biking capri's, because like you I have lost weight since I bought them. So they now stay up around my waist but the crotch still slips down, because I am short through the rise and I lost most of my weight, so from my thighs (yeahh!)

If it will help get you a little more wear out of your exsisting clothes though... Here's what you do.
DON'T cut a hole in the fabric. If you can clip a few of the threads on the inside front seam of the waist, just enough to open the seam to get a draw string through. Some of the longer shoe laces work great, and the covered end is just perfect to thread through. If you only have a soft drawstring use a medium size safety pin or there is a very handy thing called a bodkin, which is specifically for getting long string through small casings. Cost a couple of bucks at any fabric store.
While the hole will eventually fray, if you're careful with your pants/shorts this might get you another couple of months of use. Until you've lost enough that even this is not the answer and the seasons have changed, and it's just time for new clothes. 
2011-01-28 3:10 PM

User image

Master
Riverside, IL
Just another thought here...I recently ordered, on a whim, a couple pairs of 'workout' type capris (the ones that have a little flare at the bottom, NOT the form-fitting capris) from...of all places...Lands' End.  They're very comfortable, with a wide waistband (no drawstring, though, cuz I HATE 'em) and a nice flattering "not too tight" fit.  I ordered them in 2 sizes (M & L) just because I wasn't sure of the fit.  I ended up keeping the medium and returning the large to my local Sear's store.   They're definitely not intended to be used for triathlons, but for everyday 'gym' workouts and even outdoor runs...they're just fine. 
2011-01-28 3:37 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Wesley Chapel, Florida
OK, this may well be sacrilege, but I wear an 18-20 and most of my exercise bottoms are from Wal Mart.  I have one good pair of tri shorts (skirt sport brand, 2x, I love, love, love them but can't find this particular style any more) but otherwise, I use the Wal Mart Danskin line.  It's really more Yoga wear than meant for running, but the bottoms are form fitting enough (especially the newest ones they have out now with a "slimming" waist, which has more of a compression feel, comfy and holding in the jiggle, not overly tight and restrictive) that they keep my legs from rubbing together, and that's really what I care about.  I wear mostly capris, but also have one pair of long yoga pants.  But they are tight enough to run in just fine.  And, VERY budget friendly, at about $15 a pair.
2011-01-30 8:57 PM
in reply to: #3290765

User image

Veteran
Wilson, NC (East of Raleigh, NC)
Kate,  I just sent you a message on facebook.  I'm in Hilliard  )

2011-02-11 9:17 AM

User image

Veteran
DC
Just to update incase anyone w/ similar fit issues is wondering. I REALLY think the draw string is the way to go; but haven't found any yet for buying new, and haven't tinkered w/ trying to install one.

But I went to the underarmour outlet last weekend, and got some new cold gear running tights. Apparently the "compression" v "evo," even though both are under armour and both are cold gear, makes all the difference in the world! My old compression cold gear was one of the few pieces I had that worked, and the brand new pair I got last weekend work just as well.
2011-02-14 1:48 AM

User image

Delaware, OH
Yay!  I'm glad you have something that fits now!   I love UA so much I think they should pay me to pimp their clothes!

2011-03-09 11:49 AM
in reply to: #3327531

New user

nor cal
totally not sacrilege and helpful to those of us on a budget- comfort is what counts and if wal mart can provide it happy day!  keep up the good work!
2011-04-04 2:29 PM

User image

Veteran
DC

Just to update I ran a running only race this weekend. A HUGE race in DC, so packet pick up was kind of convention/expo. I bought some new running gear and could have bought a LOT more! Oh I was thrilled to have options!! Usually I'm just stuck w/ the ONLY pair of shorts I have that currently works (whether they're clean or dirty).

Initially, to anyone w/ my small (relatively to the rest of me) waist/long torso/huge legs fit problem: DRAW STRING! Found a pair of Brooks Capri Length running bottoms that have a draw string. Found some New Balance ones too; but they looked like full length and I just won't need that again til next winter so I put off buying those, had spent a ton already! Compression v regular seems to help hold stuff in place too.

Also generally, I was sticking to like Sports Authority b/c I figured they have the broadest range and cheapest prices. I should have gone to specific running store. Even if stuff was more expensive I might have at least found what was availble out there (drawstrings, compression, etc) to then go home and do an internet search for cheaper prices on ebay or seomthing.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Sizing on Workout Clothes for Athenas Rss Feed  

of 1