General Discussion Race Reports! » Schlotzsky's Jingle Bun Run Half Marathon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Schlotzsky's Jingle Bun Run Half Marathon - RunHalf Marathon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Temple, Texas
United States
58F / 14C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 26m 31s
Overall Rank = 146/196
Age Group = F 50-54
Age Group Rank = 4/11
Pre-race routine:

Got up at 6 a.m. and made 2 packets of oatmeal and had 2 cups of coffee. I couldn't finish the oatmeal, but felt I had plenty to get me started in the race. I couldn't decide which pair of shoes to wear, new ones vs. old ones, so put one of each on my feet and ran down the block and back. Opted for the old ones...
Event warmup:

None. For some reason they did not have any registration for me even though I registered through Active.com. So I got a different bib than everyone else and have to wait for my shirt to be mailed to me. That didn't set too well with me! Got all that straightenend out, got my chip and Tammy and I headed to the portapotties that had a long line, we barely made it back for the start!
Run
  • 2h 26m 31s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 11m 11s  min/mile
Comments:

First loop went great, I felt strong and pain free. Hit a bad headwind about mile 4.5-5.5, but by then the cool air felt good! Then I hit the trail section again. I was stuck in the middle of a bunch of Galloway runners for awhile and I'd be behind them and they'd just stop! And take up the whole path, that was a little frustrating, but by the time I hit the trail section I was all alone. I knew there were runners behind me, but there was no one I could see in front of me. Checked my pace right before mile 7, 10:35/mile average, I was pretty stoked, on was on track for a PR! Then I hit the wide open section and a headwind of 19 mph, that would kind of swirl around from headwind to crosswind, and even when I turned around, it never felt like a tailwind! The wind really slowed me down, and by mile 8 my feet were staring to hurt and I could feel a couple of blisters starting. By mile 10 I had to stop and walk a few times. I could feel calf and hamstring cramps trying to form, but they never actually cramped. I had some Shot Blox at mile 4 and mile 7 and had planned to have an Espresso GU at mile 10 but my stomach was not feeling very well, so I skipped it, probably should have taken it anyways in retrospect. Also skipped a water station. Finally made it back to the trail section and then the final run to the finish which was slightly uphill and right into the wind, had to walk a bit. Once it flattened out I was able to run through the finish, but I was hurting. Tammy had already finished and was waiting for me.
What would you do differently?:

NEW SHOES that don't hurt!!! Don't miss any runs in the plan, and do some more long runs or something. I was okay up thhrough 8 miles, but it was really hard after that.
Post race
Warm down:

None... didn't eat or drink anything, hobbled to the car and hoped I could drive home without my legs cramping up!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The shoes and the freakin' WIND! Maybe hold back a little more on the first half, although I felt like I was at a comfortable pace.

Event comments:

There were no porta-potties on the actual race course. Even though I went right before the start, I thought I may have to go again, but that would have meant 1/2 mile detour at the beginning of loop 2, so luckily I didn't have to go!

Last updated: 2010-10-02 12:00 AM
Running
02:26:31 | 13.1 miles | 11m 11s  min/mile
Age Group: 4/11
Overall: 146/196
Performance: Average
AHR = 165 Max HR = 172
Course: 2 loops, pretty much flat. All on pavement.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2010-12-11 4:54 PM

User image

Expert
Temple, TX
Subject: Schlotzsky's Jingle Bun Run Half Marathon

2010-12-11 6:39 PM
in reply to: #3245389

User image

Veteran
Racine, WI
Subject: RE: Schlotzsky's Jingle Bun Run Half Marathon
Great race, Hilde! 
2010-12-12 7:40 PM

User image

Awesome job on your half marathon Hilde  !! It was WINDY on Sat !  I wish I could have been there to run with you !  
2010-12-12 8:16 PM
in reply to: #3246049

User image

Extreme Veteran
Zionsville, Indiana
Great report Hilde...and you further confirmed my gut feeling of running 13.1 is crazy!!! I think I'll leave that to you crazy people!  Great Job!
2010-12-13 7:37 AM

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member
Great job, Hilde!!  You overcame some tough obstacles - wind, walkers, etc and came out strong! You rock!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Schlotzsky's Jingle Bun Run Half Marathon Rss Feed