General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Swimming Breathing Lessons Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-08-03 9:10 PM

Subject: Swimming Breathing Lessons
My problem with swimming is breathing. Was an ex-swimmer and haven't smoked in 5 years. I have the technique worked out, but I believe I get prematurely exhausted because of lack of air. I exhale through my nose while submerged and inhale on my side. After 50 yards, my arms and legs feel OK, but my heart is racing because of lack of sufficient air.

Any suggestions on exercises to "workout" my lungs? It seems that they need to be "more fit".

Thanks!

James

2005-08-03 9:24 PM
in reply to: #215718

User image

Expert
Charlottesville, VA
Subject: RE: Swimming Breathing Lessons
For what it's worth, I've found swimming to be good for my lungs. I'm asthmatic, though it's very well controlled by medication. In running or cycling I can concentrate on slow breaths that really expand the lungs. But once I started swimming it was a whole new ball game -- i've got to suck the air in fast while my head is turned.

That's been hard, the enforced discipline of it has improved how quickly I can get air in, and while I don't have any evidence to prove it, I think my lung capacity has certainly increased. Still, there's a least one time every swim workout when all I want to do is get my head out of the water and BREATHE!
2005-08-03 9:40 PM

User image

Expert
Lafayette, CO
jamesgef - 2005-08-03 7:10 PMMy problem with swimming is breathing. Was an ex-swimmer and haven't smoked in 5 years. I have the technique worked out, but I believe I get prematurely exhausted because of lack of air. I exhale through my nose while submerged and inhale on my side. After 50 yards, my arms and legs feel OK, but my heart is racing because of lack of sufficient air.Any suggestions on exercises to "workout" my lungs? It seems that they need to be "more fit".Thanks!James
Yes - slow down. A number of us have found it's easier to start slow, get a good breathing rhythm going, and then swim up to our breathing capacity. Ironically, the 'slower' I go, the better my times per 100y are in the pool. If I concentrate on keeping a decent breathing pace, I can avg. 1:50/100, if I try to go faster, I start at 1:55/100 and get slower quickly.
2005-08-03 9:50 PM

User image

Regular
Kirkland, WA
Sounds like your breathing technique is good, exhaling through your nose while head is down.... not sure of your overall conditioning, but more time in the pool will help that get better, especially since your muscles feel good.  Try doing sets of 50 yards and resting about 15 seconds between sets.  That should give your lungs time to recover and get some good breaths and get a good workout at the same time.
2005-08-03 9:56 PM

User image

Pro
Pittsburgh, my heart is in Glasgow
Also, be sure that you are getting the "bad air" out under water, completely. Breathe to both sides, if you aren't allready. I got my start as a distance swimmer (pool and open water) and found that breathing every 3 or 5 depending on your preference helped to do a few things

1) develop balanced muscles!! Breathing only to one side has the same effect of a race horse always running in the same direction..certain muscles become stronger than others and your stroke is not as efficient.
2) more important in a race situation, but breathing to both sides helps keep your eyes on the competition. In an open water situation, that means where in the hell you're going.
3) Helps you stay "face down" in the water and not "lean" or tilt to the side you always breathe to. Again, helps your hydrodynamics and body position. The more "face down" you are, the better alignment in your spine, and consequently your legs and arms. It's all about efficiency. Swim smarter, not harder . good luck!
2005-08-03 10:48 PM

User image

Southern California
I too have the same problem. Body feels great but fizz out due to being so out of breath. Does anyone have any advice on stoke to breath ratio? Right now I breath to the right. I stroke right,left, breath. Doing this however I never seem to get going very far or fast as I am always popping my head up to breath. Any suggestions???

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Swimming Breathing Lessons Rss Feed