General Discussion Triathlon Talk » where to stay for Beach2Battleship Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-12-12 5:56 AM

User image

Subject: where to stay for Beach2Battleship
I am doing Beach2Battleship in Oct. any suggestions to the best place to stay. Will have little support as husband is not an early morning  person. Also which would be the easiest to get to the start for me and the finish for him. It will be a long day for the both of us.

2010-12-12 6:14 AM
in reply to: #3245554

User image

Expert
Raleigh
Subject: RE: where to stay for Beach2Battleship
If you stay at the Hilton downtown (host hotel) you can catch a bus down to T1, and then another bus to swim start. After the race you take a water taxi from finish chute straight across river to the Hilton. If he wants to see you go in, or come out of the water, he's gonna have 10 to 15 minute drive. I stayed at the beach this year (blockade runner) was about a mile from T1. It was pretty convenient, but I did have to have a ride back to the beach after the race.
2010-12-12 6:14 AM

User image

Expert
Raleigh

Edited by titeloops 2010-12-12 6:15 AM
2010-12-12 6:22 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Oakland, Florida

All three event start in three different locations.  The swim start is about 7 or so miles from the run start.  I stayed closer to the bike transiistion near the beach in the middle at the Fairfield Inn and Suites.  Others I talked to stayed in Wrightsville beach which was the farthest from the end of the race but closest to the swim start. (Blockade Runner, Shell Island Resort) Some stayed at Downtown Wilmington which is very nice as well.(Best Western, Hilton) You can move from your hotel and see the end of the bike and see your athlette several time during the run. Many restaruants etc within walking distance are available from your downtown hotel.  

The expo, race dinner, packet pu, cruise etc is in downtown Wilmingotn.  The downtown area hotels are closest to the finish. So that is nice if you are doing the IM but not that big a deal either if you are staying toward the beach`.  More expensive than the hotels near bike transistion(Hampton Inn, Fairfield Suites and others) which from a cost point of view are cheaper than beach or downtown. 

All that being said it would be a personal preference.  Getting to the swim start and bike transistion is easy from downtown with buses that are provided for the athletes. Your family would have to drive down to see you start out on the bike and find you on the bike course after that.  It will be hard for your family to see the swim start if you are not staying on the beach and even then it is not easy due to parking which there is none.  If you stay downtown your family depending on what they want to see of your race would be less driving and see you more without them driving. 

Edited by [email protected] 2010-12-12 6:25 AM
2010-12-12 7:16 AM

User image

Lowell, Massachusetts
My wife and I were there for B2B 2010 just a few weeks ago and had a wonderful experience staying at the Taylor House Inn.  It's located on N. 7th Street and run by a wonderful couple.  It's about a 10 minute walk down Market Street to Front and Water streets. 

They didn't fill up when we were there, actually, we were the only triathletes there, but I've told everyone about the place and hope they'll be full next year for the race.  If I do B2B again, we're staying there.

Much better deal than any of the hotels we saw on Front and Water streets.  We paid less than $400 for three nights, breakfasts, taxes, etc.  Can't beat it.

2010-12-12 9:22 AM

User image

Master
Canton, Michigan

If your husband wants to sleep in stay in the downtown area.  With the point to point swim he would just see you come out of the water or somewhere along the long trot to T1 and head out on the bike.  If you want to let him sleep, as mentioned you can take the shuttle from the Hilton regardless of where you actually stay, reserve as soon as Setup sends out the email info on it.  It filled well before race week in 2009.

Your husband will be able to walk and between the water taxi and trolley car going back and forth to T2 on the other side of the river you guys won't need to worry about parking the car.  Parking enforcement seems to be a high priority in Wilmington and can be a headache.

We rented a house on the run course right on the edge of downtown from VRBO which ran $500 including all fees, that was for a week as we made this a little get away for the wife and I since we don't get a chance to vacation on our own very often.  If we needed to do something in Wilmington we walked or could hop on there free downtown shuttle bus.  I also considered renting a condo which are also listed on VRBO and is directly across from the battleship and close to the Hilton.

My wife did fine with the walks back and forth from T2 and after seeing me come in on the bike took the shuttle back across and went to the house were she was nice enough to be enjoying a cold beer when I ran by the house 3 of the 4 times I passed it (after the third time she headed to the finish), which made the day a bit easier on her since she could relax a bit at the house instead of being stuck at t2 all day.  I hit my times pretty much so it took the guess work out of it for her on where to be when.

Good luck and enjoy B2B!

Edited by rottieguy 2010-12-12 9:35 AM

2010-12-12 4:53 PM

Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
I did the 1/2 in 09 and we rented a house that was down town about 4 blocks from front street. Wife, 2 kids, dog, mother inlaw, and parents.  This year I did the full and we rented a beach house on Chadbourn St. w/ the same crew. I liked staying closer to the start/T1 because it was easier for me from a logistics standpoint. I didn't have to worry as much about getting to the swim start late. The wife drove me to be marked then we went back to the house drank a cup of coffee and then she dropped me off at the swim start. I felt more relaxed. Wife put the truck in a garage downtown and we drove back to Wrightville. We found the homes on VRBO. 
     The spectator part of it is a different story. I believe it may be better to be downtown. You can go and chill in the room instead of waiting long hours to see your athlete run/bike by for a few fleeting seconds. Also there is more to do downtown during the day.
2010-12-12 6:06 PM
in reply to: #3245932

User image

Master
When my DH did the full in 2009, we stayed at the Hampton Inn midway between the start and finish.  It a great hotel - new, clean, free wifi, free breakfast and cheap.  Because I volunteered at the race start and 2nd half of the run, I drove DH to the transition area and parked there.  All racers shuttle to the start from the transition area and there is not much for a spectator to see at the start anyway.  Then, after all of the athletes cleared T1, I went for a run at the beach (beautiful loop around the park) and then took the car downtown and parked near the ferry landing.  This was all easy.  You will pay for parking downtown, but the machines take credit cards and it wasn't terribly expensive.

If your spouse isn't getting up early, you should stay in or near downtown so that you don't have to drive back and forth to attend the meetings, drop off your stuff, get to the start, etc.  Then, you can take the shuttle to the start and DH can sleep in, check out downtown Wilmington and see you when you start the run.  He can also tour the battleship, which looked really cool.
2010-12-13 5:01 AM

User image

Elite
Roswell, GA

If I was you, I would stay downtown.  Setup does a great job with the shuttles so it'll be easy to get to T1.

Enjoy it.  It's a great race!

2010-12-13 9:01 AM
in reply to: #3246279

User image

Expert
Charlotte, NC
I'd would also recommend staying downtown.  You can't beat the Hilton for location and price was reasonable, although it's certainly not the nicest Hilton I've ever seen.  Water taxis and buses to the battleship (T2) both leave right from outside the Hilton, making it very convenient for spectators.  Also, the run course goes right by the front of the hotel, so your husband can see you twice on the run course without moving far.  Finally, athlete shuttles to T1 leave from the front of the Hilton at '0 dark thirty, so you just have to stumble outside.

Edited by Patrick E 2010-12-13 9:09 AM
2010-12-13 2:24 PM

User image

Pro
Baton Rouge area
+1 on VRBO.  There were several of us and we rented a place in Wrightsville beach.  We even had a dock that was near the swim course.  Minute drive to swim start or T1.  Plus the practice swim was a 30 second walk.  Would be expensive for just a couple but we found a 5 bedroom that was cheaper for 4-5 than a hotel and much nicer.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » where to stay for Beach2Battleship Rss Feed