Ironman North America
65F / 18C
Overcast
Total Time = 16h 39m 39s
Overall Rank = 2178/2361
Age Group = M35-39
Age Group Rank = 318/334
Pre-race routine:

Woke up @ 0400, prepped bagel w/ PB. Drank and ensure.
Event warmup:

None
Swim
  • 1h 25m 55s
  • 4224 yards
  • 02m 02s / 100 yards
Comments:

Jumped in and swam a little ways away from the dock. Did four of five bobs to get my face used to the cold water. Waited about 5 minutes then swam under the Mill Ave bridges and placed my self about mid pack veritcally and horizontally. About two minuted before the cannon I felt something bruch against my neck. It was a foot booty! Only one mind you but I put it on anyway. With that, the double caps, and earplugs I never felt cold expect in the uncovered foot.
I did not experience very much of the washing machine effect. Was wacked a couple of times from behind and I swam over a few folks. Got the evil eye from one guy but not sure what the issue was. Maybe it was the grabbing of his leg so I didn't get kicked in the face. Which did happen once.
I used a variety of sighting methods, but mostly the pack sight. Was able to catch a lot of good drafts. Rounding the buoys was specactular. Stayed out about 5 to 6 feet and turned over the arm jsut right.
Transition 1
  • 16m 39s
Comments:

Gee, what the hell was I doing in T1? Cooking a turkey? Took my own little time getting dressed. Did take a couple of minuted to find my T1 bag.
Took some time and extra heavy duty Body Glide.
What would you do differently?:

Practice and have an actual script.
Bike
  • 8h 01m 19s
  • 112 miles
  • 13.96 mile/hr
Comments:

The first 6 miles took 20 minutes because I stopped an fumbled with the chest strap as the Garmin kept saying I was in Z5.
Around mile 9 I was hailed on for about 2 minutes by smaller than pea size. This was about the point that I predicted that Chrisse Wellington would pass me on her second loop. Sure enough she did.
Had a tail wind go up the Beeline and pretty stiff head wind going back. This pretty much negated any free speed going down the hill.
Came through starting the second loop feeling good. The wind was was the same as the first loop and was only rained on this loop. Got to the aid station after the turn around and remember to check my cleat. Sure enough two of the screws on the right cleat were gone. There was a mechanic a mile down the road. I stopped there and she diagnoially placed the remaining screws as she did not have any extras. I was praying this didn't knock me out.
Cam to the turn around into the third loop feeling good. No precip on the third loop. It was beginning to get a little lonely and sparse out there.
The winds had died down considerably so the third loop was my fastest.
My nutrition plan worked well and I did not feel hungry at all. I did drink too much water and stopped at almost each aid station to urinate. This cost of at least 30 to 40 minutes.

Don't dink with the chest strap and go by RPE.
The rest was kind of out of my control.
Transition 2
  • 11m 10s
Comments:

Handed off my bike to the cather and made sure that the Garmin was turned off. Grabbed T2 bag and headed into the changing tent. Chatted with a guy who had just finished (9:30 or thereabouts) while changing.
When I went to put on my Garmin it said Battery Low. I thought oh shit, but didn't really panic. Just decided I had to use my regular watch for the intervals and my own experience and use RPE.
Straight out of the tent my Hammer packets were falling out. I just pulled them out and threw them away. Was not worth the hassle, especially after the chest strap issue on the bike.
Changed quickly and was out the door.

Script
Run
  • 6h 44m 39s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 15m 26s  min/mile
Comments:

Passed alot of guys in my AG.
Maintained my 4:00/1:00 run/walk until the beginning of the third loop.
From about mile 4 my stomach was not feeling so good. I fought this till mile 16 at which time I drank some Coke. Within two minutes I let out a loud and long belch. From that point on I had no more stomach issues.
Upon starting the third loop I had almost three hours remaining. My thought process was that I wanted to enjoy the remainder so I began walking more. I pretty much knew I would finish.
Picked up the pace within the last mile and ran the last 3/4mi.
Right before the finish line someone grabbed my arm and looked me right in the face. It was Mike Riley, the voice of Ironman. Upon looking me in the face he said (with a loud joining of the crowd), "Guess what Scott? You...are...an...Ironman".
With one mile to go I ditched the water bottle so that the finisher pictures looked good.

Stay on 4:00/1:00 through out. Take in a Coke when my stomach feels like that again.
Post race
Warm down:

Was immediately grab by a catcher, given a mylar blanket, walked to the medal presentation, finisher picture, and handed off to the massage tent.
Had a twenty minute lower body massage.
Had a few french fries. Headed back to the hotel.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Mental processes.

Last updated: 2009-12-21 12:00 AM
Swimming
01:25:55 | 4224 yards | 02m 02s / 100yards
Age Group: 248/334
Overall: 1560/2361
Performance: Good
Suit: 2XU Full
Course: Rectangular
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Shot
Water temp: 60F / 16C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 16:39
Performance: Bad
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
08:01:19 | 112 miles | 13.96 mile/hr
Age Group: 324/334
Overall: 2243/2361
Performance: Below average
Wind:
Course: Tempe Town Lake out to Shea Rd on the Beeline Highway.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Too much
T2
Time: 11:10
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
06:44:39 | 26.2 miles | 15m 26s  min/mile
Age Group: 313/334
Overall: 2116/2361
Performance: Average
Course: Three loops around Tempe Town Lake.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes