of 4

2011-06-14 12:30 PM
in reply to: #3246016

User image

Extreme Veteran
The Woodlands/Magnolia, TX.
Subject: RE: Gym/Pool horror stories

last thursday at my local Y...

i walk past the kiddy pool with the slides and fountains on my way to the lap pool and notice it's freaking packed since school is out now...

i swim my laps...

i walk past the kiddy pool on my way out and notice the pool is empty with the exception of 2 lifeguards....one with a long scooper net held out over the pool....and the other pouring 2-5 gallon buckets of some liquid into the pool.  i'm guessing this wasn't all becuase a snickers bar was floating in it.

i had a hard time swiming yesterday knowing that's how they clean up after a kid drops a shadoobie in the pool, especially knowing that the lap pool gets all the crowd overflow from the kiddy pool.  no telling what is lingering in that water.

2011-06-14 12:37 PM

User image

Pro
CyFair

Was in the sauna the other day, yes I know no story that starts that way ends well, and old naked guy comes in.  No towel, just his toiletries.  Not a problem.  So once he's sweating good he lathers up with soap.  All of him.  Odd but I can deal.  He then proceeds to start doing crunches.  REALLY!?!?!?!  So I then decide I'm out.  Very odd. 

2011-06-14 1:07 PM

User image

Regular

im constantly being kicked out of my lane because there are so many other activities that they fill the pool up with. Totally over booked! Lap swimmers are second class at my local Y.

They change the lane schedule on a daily basis depending on how many people show up for the activities they are making a profit on..... arrrggggggggg

constantly having to move pool nooodles and kick boards out of my lane, and the other day almost clocked a kick mid swim because the life guard told him it was ok to cross my lane!!

2011-06-14 1:41 PM
in reply to: #3548719

User image

Champion
Chicago, Illinois
6226chels - 2011-06-14 1:07 PM

im constantly being kicked out of my lane because there are so many other activities that they fill the pool up with. Totally over booked! Lap swimmers are second class at my local Y.

They change the lane schedule on a daily basis depending on how many people show up for the activities they are making a profit on..... arrrggggggggg

constantly having to move pool nooodles and kick boards out of my lane, and the other day almost clocked a kick mid swim because the life guard told him it was ok to cross my lane!!

My lifetime fitness is becoming like that.  4 days a week from 6 pm to 8 pm its all water aerobics, master swim and private lessons.  Half the time there are no lessons but they always take the lanes for it.  Worse part there are a few moments after 7 when there are a  a couple of lanes free 2 days a week but you have to watch out since a lot of parents use that in my I will sit in the lane while my kids are getting a lesson and really not do anything except a length every 5 to 6 minutes.

2011-06-14 1:46 PM
in reply to: #3548642

User image

New user
Rochester NY
uhcoog - 2011-06-14 12:37 PM

Was in the sauna the other day, yes I know no story that starts that way ends well, and old naked guy comes in.  No towel, just his toiletries.  Not a problem.  So once he's sweating good he lathers up with soap.  All of him.  Odd but I can deal.  He then proceeds to start doing crunches.  REALLY!?!?!?!  So I then decide I'm out.  Very odd. 

I was an exchange student to Finland. Its very common for people there to have shower stalls in the Sauna and to lather and rinse there, some are immediately outside the door some inside.  The squats, well thats new and different but the soaping up... well at least he smelled nice.

2011-06-14 2:11 PM
in reply to: #3548619

User image

Master
Sunbury, Pennsylvania
antlimon166 - 2011-06-14 1:30 PM

i had a hard time swiming yesterday knowing that's how they clean up after a kid drops a shadoobie in the pool, especially knowing that the lap pool gets all the crowd overflow from the kiddy pool.  no telling what is lingering in that water.

Well, look at it this way - a rare opportunity to get an element of OWS in your pool workout.

2011-06-14 3:48 PM

User image

Veteran
Austin
The mens locker room at Barton Springs has a grassy courtyard inside. There is often a guy in his early 30s, good shape, doing a heavy ab workout alternating with pushups completely naked in the grassy area. I've also seen him chatting up the old naked guys at length sitting uncomfortably close to one of them, in deep, intense, naked conversation. Pretty weird. I don't have sons and its not me he's chatting up and after all this is Austin, so I just laugh it off, do my quick change, and go enjoy the springs...
2011-06-14 9:38 PM

User image

Veteran
Ironman Arizona via Surf City, USA
well... I have been to (3) local 24HR Fitness pools and this same "person" shows up on any given day.. This "person" has calves that you could break bowling balls with, arms that are close in size, and at least size 48 boobs.. Ugly as sin, and always wears a one-piece and changes in the bathroom, not in the main dressing room..  I cannot be around this "person" when I am trying to change as I feel very uncomfortable..  Mainly gets into the jacuzzi and very seldom into the pool, other than to stand around or sit near the stairs..

Lori

2011-06-20 3:49 PM

User image

San Jose

Around 20 years ago I lived in Minneapolis. At the Uptown YWCA it was always a great to sit in the sauna during the winter (this is a same sex sauna within the women's locker room.) Most people were very modest, in towels or bathings suits. Most folks also sat on the "upper deck" of the sauna two level seating.<p>

One day, after a workout, I went into the sauna discretely covered in two towels and with a towel to place on the bench. I took my seat on the top row toward the center and on the far left was an elderly woman in a towel and on the far right two teen-aged girls in bathing suits. After a few minutes a woman, perhaps in her late 40s, came in wearing a towel. She whipped off the towel, laid it down on the lower level seating and lay down, legs akimbo. The elderly lady, the teenagers, and I all exchanged the "What the heck?!" look and then politely looked elsewhere. A few minutes later the nude recliner started to uhm...err... "let her fingers do the walking."<p>

I was all of 21 years old and had never experienced anything like that in my life. Voice shaking, I said, "That is inapppropriate, please leave." She said, "you need to mind your own business" and at that point, I went to the front desk, still in my towels. There were two desk personnel, a guy and a gal each around 18 years old. I quickly mentioned what happened and the guy, with a big grin, says to the girl, "This one is yours."I went back and took a shower only to see the police waiting outside the locker room when I left.<p>

I now live in California and most of what I see are:

- elderly Asian women blowing drying their ladyscapes<br>

- elderly folks of all ethnicities bobbing and gabbing in the lap swim lanes<br>

- elderly guys sitting in the communal hot tub for what seems like hours, usually wearing "trunks" that suscipiciously look like boxers and are semi-transparent.

Edited by stefanieharvey 2011-06-20 3:52 PM
2011-06-20 3:56 PM
in reply to: #3558594

User image

Elite
Phoenix, AZ
stefanieharvey - 2011-06-20 1:49 PM

Around 20 years ago I lived in Minneapolis. At the Uptown YWCA it was always a great to sit in the sauna during the winter (this is a same sex sauna within the women's locker room.) Most people were very modest, in towels or bathings suits. Most folks also sat on the "upper deck" of the sauna two level seating.

One day, after a workout, I went into the sauna discretely covered in two towels and with a towel to place on the bench. I took my seat on the top row toward the center and on the far left was an elderly woman in a towel and on the far right two teen-aged girls in bathing suits. After a few minutes a woman, perhaps in her late 40s, came in wearing a towel. She whipped off the towel, laid it down on the lower level seating and lay down, legs akimbo. The elderly lady, the teenagers, and I all exchanged the "What the heck?!" look and then politely looked elsewhere. A few minutes later the nude recliner started to uhm...err... "let her fingers do the walking."

I was all of 21 years old and had never experienced anything like that in my life. Voice shaking, I said, "That is inapppropriate, please leave." She said, "you need to mind your own business" and at that point, I went to the front desk, still in my towels. There were two desk personnel, a guy and a gal each around 18 years old. I quickly mentioned what happened and the guy, with a big grin, says to the girl, "This one is yours."I went back and took a shower only to see the police waiting outside the locker room when I left.

I now live in California and most of what I see are:

- elderly Asian women blowing drying their ladyscapes

- elderly folks of all ethnicities bobbing and gabbing in the lap swim lanes

- elderly guys sitting in the communal hot tub for what seems like hours, usually wearing "trunks" that suscipiciously look like boxers and are semi-transparent.

You went to the gym with 3 towels?  Goodness.

2011-06-20 4:10 PM

User image

San Jose

"You went to the gym with 3 towels?  Goodness."

No, just two - the third one was from the Y ;-)

2011-06-20 5:51 PM
in reply to: #3558594

User image

Lafayette, CO
stefanieharvey - 2011-06-20 2:49 PM

Around 20 years ago I lived in Minneapolis. At the Uptown YWCA it was always a great to sit in the sauna during the winter (this is a same sex sauna within the women's locker room.) Most people were very modest, in towels or bathings suits. Most folks also sat on the "upper deck" of the sauna two level seating.

One day, after a workout, I went into the sauna discretely covered in two towels and with a towel to place on the bench. I took my seat on the top row toward the center and on the far left was an elderly woman in a towel and on the far right two teen-aged girls in bathing suits. After a few minutes a woman, perhaps in her late 40s, came in wearing a towel. She whipped off the towel, laid it down on the lower level seating and lay down, legs akimbo. The elderly lady, the teenagers, and I all exchanged the "What the heck?!" look and then politely looked elsewhere. A few minutes later the nude recliner started to uhm...err... "let her fingers do the walking."

I was all of 21 years old and had never experienced anything like that in my life. Voice shaking, I said, "That is inapppropriate, please leave." She said, "you need to mind your own business" and at that point, I went to the front desk, still in my towels. There were two desk personnel, a guy and a gal each around 18 years old. I quickly mentioned what happened and the guy, with a big grin, says to the girl, "This one is yours."I went back and took a shower only to see the police waiting outside the locker room when I left.

Wow.  Just wow.  I would have stuck around to see the look on her face when she saw the police. 

2011-06-20 8:33 PM

User image

Veteran
Ironman Arizona via Surf City, USA
forgot about my "lunchtime" swim during my IM training... head off to the local 24HR Fitness for a quick dip.. because of all my training days, I had to use an older sports bra and shorts..  I was working it back and forth with my pull bouy on a bit of a crowded lunch time but not too bad...  Not sure why the guy next to me kept bumping me but I soon found out.. When I stood up in the shallow end to take a break, I looked down and my left boob was hanging out..  I kid you not...  I started to laugh and ducked back under to water to put it "away" because of the cameras in the pool area....  no wonder the guy kept bumping me...  I did like 6 laps before I took a break...

That was like 2 years ago..... I still wonder if I am on Youtube somewhere????

Lori
2012-03-01 12:38 PM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Had to resurrect this old thread due to a new experience I had this morning.

At my LTF here's a shower by the pool for people to rinse off before/after their swim.  So Today I hit the pool about 90 minutes after I usually do and I'm swimming away,  I take a break between sets and look up.  There's a guy in the shower with his swim trunks on soaped down from head to toe taking a full shower.  No big deal I guess, but I thought it was a little weird to be taking a full shower with your trunks on in front of everyone.  Well a few laps later I look up and he's drying off and holds his towel in his mouth and removes the trunks and proceeds to wrap the towel around himself.  I think he thought he was being discreet, but he was pretty much hanging all out there.  I'm pretty sure I witnessed a crime because I believe it's quite illegal to expose your junk in a public shower.  <facepalm>
I told my wife about it and she said he's there every day and does the same thing.

2012-03-01 11:39 PM

Pretty mild for me, though I've seen the creepy old guys.  We were LTF members when we lived in Austin.  When we moved up to Colorado, we continued our membership.  On my first visit to the new club, I accidentally walked into the Women's locker room.  Rounded the corner and saw a bunch of women...oops!  All of the clubs have a similar floorplan, the only difference between my old club and the new one was that the Men's and Women's locker rooms were swapped.
2012-03-02 6:25 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Im thankful I don't have to deal with any of this :D

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Gym/Pool horror stories Rss Feed  

of 4