XDog events
53F / 12C
Precipitation
Total Time = 28m 15s
Overall Rank = 99/236
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 11/18
Pre-race routine:

I purchased a Gatorade, 5 Hour Shot, and a Power Bar to eat before the race. I got to the event 50 minutes early and registered. I was given Bib #474. I then waited for Rene to get there to start my warm-up.
Event warmup:

About 30 minutes before the race was to start I went for a short warm-up jog. I then did some shorter half speed prints then I finished with some 3/4 Speed drills. 10 minutes before the race I stripped down to my race gear.
Run
  • 28m 15s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 09m 07s  min/mile
Comments:

My plan was to run mile one at 156 HR, mile two at 158 HR and mile 3 at 160 hr. I knew that the opening half mile would be difficult with the steep hill. Another issue was the narrow steep moss ridden right when you go to the bike path. I ended up climbing the opening hill too fast and running + 160 HR. Thru the first mile and a half. Since I was in my upper limit early I naturally started to slow down earlier than I had planned making the race a more peak and valley than a steady effort.
What would you do differently?:

I believe I would be faster with a better left leg that let me do more speed workouts. I also think a more evenly expensed effort would lead to a faster time. Things I intend to work on before my next race would be a negative split and some high knee workouts.
Post race
Warm down:

After I caught my breath. I went for a half speed run to loosen the legs. I then went to the gym for a light weight workout and some hot tub time.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

As stated above I really need to get my left leg up to speed so I can get off the elliptical and back on the road. Currently I am building my endurance from Sprint triathlon to Olympic distance. Once I can comfortable do the distance I will perform some speed workouts which hopefully will make me faster.

Event comments:

Best Weather ever for a Ho Ho 5k. It was 50 degrees wet but not raining. I intend to run a more balanced race next time. My goal would be a negative split.

Last updated: 2010-12-11 12:00 AM
Running
00:28:15 | 03.1 miles | 09m 07s  min/mile
Age Group: 11/18
Overall: 99/236
Performance: Good
Course: The course leaves the park and travels through some quiet neighborhood streets. At just over a mile, the course then switches to a bike path that follows the Tualatin River back to Cook Park. The course then travels throughout the park on paved and wood chip paths. The course had a long and a small to medium uphill sections as well as some small rollers in the mid section. While it was a good course it wasn’t really a fast course.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? No