Other Resources My Cup of Joe » legal question... Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply
2010-12-16 8:20 PM

Extreme Veteran
Panama City
Subject: legal question...

How do you find out if you were in someone's will?  I live on the other side of the country, my grandmother passed away in april.  Now nobody else from that side of the family will return my calls.  A friend of mine said that maybe they they were intentionally trying to "not be able to find me" b/c I was in the will.  I don't want to start any drama, but now i'm curious and that would be a crappy thing for them to be doing to me.  besides, if they don't bother returning/answering my calls, then i've got nothing to lose anyways, right?

2010-12-16 8:31 PM
in reply to: #3251726

User image

Master
Delafield, Wisconsin
Subject: RE: legal question...
I can only speak of from where I'm from, but generally all 'interested persons'  in an estate are entitled to notice of the proceedings and a copy of the will. If you are in it, that would include you.  The best advice I can give is contact the probate court in the county where she died and ask some questions. You could also contact an attorney who handles estates in that county and ask some questions about the procedures. Good luck.
2010-12-16 9:26 PM
in reply to: #3251726

User image

Veteran
Pueblo, CO
All wills go to probate - which makes it public - and you can get a copy from there.  I was in the process of getting my divorce when my fathre in law passed away - he was a Sr. partner at an accounting firm.  Due to the potential for changing my ex's financial outlook significantly - which impacted my maintenace payments - I called the probate court for the town he lived in.  Asked for it (just needed his name and he was actually very helpful in tracking it down) - no reason given - and they faxed it over for a small "transmit" fee (something like $4).  I was able to verify what I needed and the ex never knew.

2010-12-17 5:35 AM
in reply to: #3251802

User image

Master
Ann Arbor, Michigan
^^^
Ditto to this.  I KNEW I was in the will but could NOT get a copy because of evil cousins who were jealous of the relationship I'd had.

I called the out of state probate court -- just figure out what county court it is.  Tell the decedant's and they'll tell you what "Page number" or some other identifier for them to pull it when you send your letter / money.  And you'll get back in the mail pretty quickly.

Once it's filed with the probate court, it's a public document.
New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » legal question... Rss Feed