General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Escape from Alcatraz Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2010-12-18 12:01 AM
in reply to: #3252304

Extreme Veteran
Washington, Utah
Subject: RE: Escape from Alcatraz Triathlon
Congrats to all of you who got in!  This looks like a very cool event,  definitely a bucket list race for me!

2010-12-18 12:37 AM

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
I did it on '06...one of my best memories hands down. I flew out on a tuesday, home on a monday. Thursday afternoon I did Pedro's pre-race swim clinic where he reviewed some of the landmarks for different swim speeds and we swam the last 1/3 of the swim to see where the exit was.

I also swam in aquatic park 1-2 additional times. When I actually jumped off the ferry, I had no sense of cold whatsoever. it was amazing.

The run includes the infamous "sand ladder", so I did a lot of prep on stadium steps following many of my runs.
2010-12-18 9:41 AM

User image

Champion
Ames, IA
Congrats on getting in!  I did this race last year and it was a fantastic experience.  Like others have said, train hills and train stairs.  I did neither and I felt it!
2010-12-18 12:43 PM

User image

Master
Chicago
I am in as well. This will be my 3rd time. Already got my hotel, just need to do airfare. If you have questions let me know and I can try and answer them. It is an awesome race.
2010-12-18 5:08 PM

User image

Veteran
Pueblo, CO
Any Hotel recommendations out there?  I'd be interested in lowest price, best hospitatility, and near the race site (who isn't - right?).  Will also book early, just need to decide who will go with me and when to get there.
2010-12-18 5:33 PM

User image

Master
Chicago
I am staying at the Hilton Fisherman's Warf for $169 a night. There may be some cheaper out there but I couldn't find any that imwas willing to stay at. I stayed at the Courtyard Marriott Fisherman's for previous races, but it was more expensive this year than the Hilton. The website has discount links for hotels on it.

2010-12-18 6:58 PM

User image

Expert
Broomfield, CO
Thanks for the tips so far i.e. hotel location, training for running and biking hills, not being late, pre race swim and the camera for the ferry...

How did you store the camera from the ferry during the swim? 
2010-12-18 7:32 PM

User image

Regular
Augusta
Years ago, (1999), I was in SF and stayed at the Redwood Inne on Lombard St....it's about 3-4 blocks (if memory serves me), from the big hill and not too terribly far from Fisherman's Wharf.  Not too bad a price either, for SF. 

Of course, that was almost 12 years ago, so who knows if it's even still there.

**just checked google maps, and it's still there, 4 1/2 blocks from Hyde St., which is at the top of the Lombard St. hill.  It's about a mile, (.8 miles if you want to be exact), from Pier 45.

It's nothing fancy...just your everyday, run of the mill motel rooms.  *shrug* 

If you're going on the dime, might be something to look at however.

Here are the reviews from trip advisor:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g60713-d81249-Reviews-Redwood_Inn-San_Francisco_California.html
2010-12-20 10:32 AM

User image

Veteran
Pueblo, CO
If I do this right, attached are some pictures of the stairs I'll use for training - figure it will work for the run, the sand stairs, and maybe even help with the bike.  Known as the incline in Colorado Springs, CO and picts are from when I did it with my girls last spring.  I don't recall the exact stats from my GPS, but believe they are about mile in length and gain ~2000 feet (from 6600 to 8600 feet).  Get good at this and I'm sure the sea level stuff will be much easier  Smile

(a catch the old people.JPG)

(a breaktime.JPG)

(a bottom way down.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
a catch the old people.JPG (30KB - 10 downloads)
a breaktime.JPG (73KB - 7 downloads)
a bottom way down.JPG (61KB - 7 downloads)
2010-12-20 11:35 AM

User image

I did it this year.  I thought that they gave you almost too much information about the swim sighting.  Going from other race reports on BT, I exclusively sighted of the Sutro Radio Tower and I beat one of the pro women out of the water, so I'd say that's a pretty good line.  I should also mention that I broke my arm on the way to the race, so if I can swim that fast with a broken arm, you should be fine! 

I also didn't think that the water was as cold as everyone said it would be.  I had a full-sleeved wetsuit but didn't bother with booties or a thermal cap and was 100% fine.  I think I prepared most for the swim and bike course elevation and forgot to worry about how hilly the run would be.  I guess I just thought it would be the sand ladder and not any other stairs or hills.  That's not the case. 

Despite having a very significant injury, I finished the race and loved it.  I would 100% do it again.  What I would NOT do again, however, is leave a bag on the boat or in the mini T1.  It was really disorganized trying to get those bags back after the race.  I'd hope that they'd have a more organized system in the future, but I'd suggest to you to try to wear throw-away clothes on the boat and then carry your wetsuit with you back to "regular T1". 

Enjoy the race!  It's a blast! 
2011-02-04 2:50 PM
in reply to: #3253380

I got choosen in the random and am a little freaked out at the water/temp. Just purchased a full wetsuit and did a trial swim at a local lake where temp was in the 50's and it shocked me silly...even with the wetsuit on. When I view photos/video of ppl jumping off the boat none appear to be wearing gloves/booties??? Are they even allowed?  or will I show just how much of a novice i am if I'm sporting neoprene on my hands/feet? Do I just wait untill my hands/feet go numb?
Any advice would be appreciated

2011-02-04 4:01 PM
in reply to: #3339633

User image

Master
San Francisco
eobogey - 2011-02-04 12:50 PM I got choosen in the random and am a little freaked out at the water/temp. Just purchased a full wetsuit and did a trial swim at a local lake where temp was in the 50's and it shocked me silly...even with the wetsuit on. When I view photos/video of ppl jumping off the boat none appear to be wearing gloves/booties??? Are they even allowed?  or will I show just how much of a novice i am if I'm sporting neoprene on my hands/feet? Do I just wait untill my hands/feet go numb?
Any advice would be appreciated

water won't be as cold as that (i'm guessing you are talking low 50s).  I wore a neoprene cap, but i don't think there were many who wore on hands/feet.  Some swim without a wetsuit even.  The advice to swim in Aquatic Park before hand is a very good one.  That will give you the best sense of the temperature. 
2011-02-04 4:02 PM

User image

Master
San Francisco
bradaskins - 2010-12-17 8:41 AM My life just changed :28 minutes ago.  I got the email confirming my spot for the 2011 ESCAPE FROM ALCATRAZ TRIATHLON! I can't believe I actually got in via the lottery. 

Has anyone done this before?
Tips?
Advice?
Any and all information is welcome, actually the more information the better.

I'm freaking out with excitement, nerves  and joy!

congrats.  it's a memorable experience.  

read race reports for sure...lots of good info there.  past year's race threads also should have lots of good info. 
2011-02-04 4:29 PM

User image

Elite
Laguna Beach

I've done Alcatraz twice and it is one of the classic races in the history of the sport along with Ironman Hawaii, The Nice Triathlon in Nice, France, Chicago Triathlon, St Croix 70.3 and the Laguna Phuket Triathlon in Thailand. There used to be the Hilton Head USTS National Championship on that list but it is extinct. Those are the classics, the icons.

I've done each of those events and I can tell you that Alcatraz is right up there with them. You will have a lot of fun on a beautiful and challenging course.

Here are some thoughts from my individual expereinces at Alcatraz:

-The swim was surprisingly easy both times I did the event. The race organizers and boat captains put you in the water up-current from the swim finish, current sweeping powerfully from your left (roughly south-ish) to your right. You will hear before the race in pre-race meetings (attend those) that there is one large pair of buildings to sight on during the swim if the current is running as it was the two times I did it. It works perfectly. If you sight on those buildings, and you have the typical prevailing moring tidal currents you will beach at exactly the right location.

Water is cold. There are no sharks, or at least, it is such a minimal real concern you ought be more worried about one of the jet skis instead. There are a good amount of experienced life guards.

The bike course is technical. If you can pre-ride the course or even do a reconnaissance in a car prior to the event it will be very valuable. The is one place where you make a left turn and immediately begin a steep climb. It's common for people to drop a chain there. Have your bike checked out beforehand.

The talk of the run is the "Sand Ladder". It's tough. I walked it. It's at the end of the beach section. Everyone will tell you about it.

When you run back under the bridge and see the Island it is a big feeling of accomplishment to think, "Hey, I started there..."

Also, San Francisco is a beautiful town with many, many things to do.

Congratulatons and good luck. You will experience a true classic in our sport.

2011-02-04 5:39 PM

Veteran
Look out for a guy named Jesse Thomas.  1st place age grouper last year and is racing as a pro this year.  Should be the start of an exciting season for him.  He's a Eugene, OR local and we're all proud as heck of him!  Smile
2011-02-04 8:54 PM

User image

Veteran
It is a great race.  I did it last year and had a blast!  Like every one has said, train hills and then some more hills.  That is what killed me. 

The one thing I wished I had last year was a small light for setting up my Transition at O-dark thirty in the morning before hopping on the bus to the ferry.  It mostly set up by feel.  It made me feel good about my checklist though.  Just would have been much nicer to have a headlamp or small flashlight. 

2011-02-05 1:25 PM

User image

Expert
Chandler, AZ

I will add the following.

Jdicarlo, Kido, Catwoman and I stayed in a B&B in the Marina district. I found this to be much more pleasant than Fisherman's Wharf. It has a neighborhood feel and the food prices are more reasonable. We rode our bikes straight down the street to Marina Green.

Stop in the middle of your swim for a moment or two to take in the scenary. This is breathtaking.

If you have solid bike skills take the TT, if not the roadie. There is not much time for aero.

Everyone talks about the sand ladder. There is another set of stairs and a tunnel by the GG Bridge.

Get a wall position on the ferry, which means getting on early. It was nice to relax prior to the race.

Take a bottle of water to dump into your wetsuit just prior to jumping in. For me it reduced the shock of the cold water. It was 58 during my race. I also swam over two huge jellyfish.

Have fun

2011-05-02 3:32 PM
in reply to: #3339901

Veteran
gonwalkabout03 - 2011-02-04 5:39 PMLook out for a guy named Jesse Thomas.  1st place age grouper last year and is racing as a pro this year.  Should be the start of an exciting season for him.  He's a Eugene, OR local and we're all proud as heck of him!  Smile
Looks like Jesse made his big debut a little earlier...congrats to him on a HUGE win at Wildflower.
2011-05-02 7:40 PM

User image

Veteran
Congratulations to everyone here that got into this race!!!   This is my dream race that I absolutely must do someday!  I think this is even cooler than a HIM.   Good luck to everyone!!!!!!!!!!!!!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Escape from Alcatraz Triathlon Rss Feed  

of 2