General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Kona show questions... Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2010-12-19 7:42 AM

User image

Expert
Prattville, AL
Subject: Kona show questions...
So how do some of those folks qualify to compete there? How do they get the opportunity to come back again?

Thanks! 

2010-12-19 8:02 AM
in reply to: #3253847

Subject: RE: Kona show questions...
A few things to keep in mind when it comes to IMH:

1. The WTC is a for profit private business focused on event management and the marketing of the IM brand Thus they can do whatever they like with their events

2. They co-produce the show with NBC. Therefore, the WTC has a big say in what get's shot for the show and what stories they will cover and focus on.

3. People get to IMH one of several different ways A) Qualifying. B) Lottery. C) At the choosing/discretion of the WTC based on the persons story. 4) Sponsors spots

What did you think of the IMH Show?

Edited by Fleck 2010-12-19 8:02 AM
2010-12-19 8:14 AM
in reply to: #3253861

User image

Expert
Fleck - 2010-12-19 9:02 AM
3. People get to IMH one of several different ways A) Qualifying. B) Lottery. C) At the choosing/discretion of the WTC based on the persons story. 4) Sponsors spots

For me, never have done a triathlon, and 2010 being the first time Ive ever been in any type of endurance sport (MTB RACING), I was more motivated by hearing and seeing the inspirational stories than the pro athletes.  I think they could've spent more time on them, as I found that much more motivating for myself.  Either way, I was amazed at how these athletes can even finish that race, or any IronMan.

Did anyone else notice the guy running/walking on the side of the 80 year old gentlman, (in his 21st Ironman at Kona) at night, eating a bag of chips?  Am i missing something???
2010-12-19 8:15 AM

User image

Expert
Prattville, AL
I like that 3/4 of the show focused on "Iron War II" vice the personal stories given just how close the battle was... the personal stories are simply amazing and I love to see them... which prompted my question... like the woman that did not make the swim last year... there she is again this year... the father/daughter story... I was thinking... what are the odds that they got picked again this year... I also thought the Macca vs. Alexander interviews were interesting to watch... 

Bottom line: I love to watch it every year... 
2010-12-19 8:18 AM

Expert
I really did enjoy watching it, whatever else aside.  Any idea where I can find past race coverage like that one online?
2010-12-19 8:25 AM
in reply to: #3253861

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

2010-12-19 8:45 AM
in reply to: #3253879

This was the most that they have focused on the Pro race that I have ever seen. It's still a limited depth of coverage - really only talking about or mentioning the eventual top 3, but it's better than it has been in the past. What I mean by that is, where was the mention of, say Rasmus Henning, who amongst people who really know and follow the elite level of long distance racing, was many people's pick for a top 3 place based on credentials and performance this year - but not one mention of Henning ( Ironic because he shares the last name as NBC Show director producer Peter Henning!!) However, Henning, the athlete, had a disastrous race for him. Maybe next year.

If you have been to Hawaii and actually been there for the race, you can tell that they use a lot of editing to make the race seem more dramatic and closer than it really is and to stitch a bit of a story and narative together so that it has a bit more drama for TV. Example: They made it out like Macca and Raelert ran together for a very long time - the reality is this only happened for a mile or two. They compared that to the '89 race between Dave Scott and Mark Allen. Scott and Allen, truly ran shoulder to shoulder for 24 miles!

2010-12-19 9:07 AM
in reply to: #3253866

Master
rizer22 - 2010-12-19 9:14 AM

For me, never have done a triathlon, and 2010 being the first time Ive ever been in any type of endurance sport (MTB RACING), I was more motivated by hearing and seeing the inspirational stories than the pro athletes.  I think they could've spent more time on them, as I found that much more motivating for myself.  Either way, I was amazed at how these athletes can even finish that race, or any IronMan.

Did anyone else notice the guy running/walking on the side of the 80 year old gentlman, (in his 21st Ironman at Kona) at night, eating a bag of chips?  Am i missing something???

That was hilarious. The old guy was saying how the potato was the key for him, but he was holding a Red Bull in his other hand.
2010-12-19 9:25 AM

Extreme Veteran
Media, PA
I was wondering how the human-interest ones got on...

So I know that Ford and Road ID are major sponsors, but the lines are definitely blurring between when we're watching the show vs. a commercial.  I know without sponsors, these things don't happen.  But when during an interview and athlete slips in a mention of Road ID, something doesn't seem right.

What do you think of the advertising during the show?

I noticed:

1. Coming back from commercials, the opening scene was a timing truck, with the driver calling "Iron Man work", reporting his position.  This ended up being another commercial
2. During the human interest stories, both Kathleen Allen and Kyle Garlett are shown driving new Ford SUVs.  Kathleen is even shown doing the soccer mom thing, dropping the kids off in the Ford Flex.  Did they get to keep these vehicles?
3. Craig Alexander commercial for Road ID; coming back from "regular" commercials, the narrator talks about risks during training, and Craig Alexander talks about training and going out with his essentials, which includes his Road ID.  What looks like the show is another commercial spot.

Not so much complaining about this, I'm just curious about these things.
2010-12-19 11:07 AM

I agree with the shameless road ID plugs. Also why does a convict get all the fame? If Ironman is such a hard race how does a lady wearing a boot walk the entire marathon portion and still finish before the cutoff? I thought you had to do a run/walk combination to finish under 17 hours. I was also wondering how people miss the cutoff but say that they will be back next year.
2010-12-19 11:21 AM
in reply to: #3253982

Pro
Nutmeg State
I thought you had to do a run/walk combination to finish under 17 hours.

Totally do-able to walk the entire marathon -- just depends on your swim and bike times.  If you swim a 1:30 and bike 7:00 (both fairly conservative paces) you would start the marathon at about 3:30 p.m. giving you 8.5 hours to cover 26.2 miles.  That works out to having to keep a pace of just under 20 min / mile. 

2010-12-19 11:30 AM

Extreme Veteran
Sunny San Diego
slaterson19 - 2010-12-19 8:07 AM

If Ironman is such a hard race how does a lady wearing a boot walk the entire marathon portion and still finish before the cutoff? I thought you had to do a run/walk combination to finish under 17 hours.

Assuming that she qualified for Kona, she probably swam around 70 minutes and biked under 6 hours. That still gives her more than 9.5 hours to walk/limp 26.2 miles.
2010-12-19 11:37 AM

Extreme Veteran
Sunny San Diego
Considering how much bad PR the WTC received this year for nickel and dime-ing the pros and age groupers. It's disgusting how they slipped those Road ID and Ford commercials into the race footage.

Also I am getting tired of the recycled footage from the previous years. It feels like they just cut and paste some footage of the current year into last year's show.
2010-12-19 11:40 AM

Minneapolis, MN

kaburns1214
Posted 2010-12-19 11:21 AM (#3253992 - in reply to #3253982)
Quote Reply

I thought you had to do a run/walk combination to finish under 17 hours.

Totally do-able to walk the entire marathon -- just depends on your swim and bike times.  If you swim a 1:30 and bike 7:00 (both fairly conservative paces) you would start the marathon at about 3:30 p.m. giving you 8.5 hours to cover 26.2 miles.  That works out to having to keep a pace of just under 20 min / mile. 

that exemplifies how executing a smart and well paced race is the key.  Many people that cant or dont finish, did something in the race that was not wise for them. (assuming they were in good enough shape to finish at a reasonable pace).   ie.  they went out faster than they should have in some portion and their body could not recover.  Or they did not execute proper nutrition to maintain the proper pace the whole day.

This is another fine example of triathlon being more than just getting in good shape or working out a lot.  There is much more of a mental aspect of this sport than most people realize.

2010-12-19 12:00 PM

New user
rizer22 - 2010-12-19 8:14 AM

I saw that... and that is what we were thinking, too, but the bag had Ironman on it so I was thinking it might have been one of his special needs bags???  It did look funny...
2010-12-19 1:11 PM

slaterson19 - 2010-12-19 9:07 AM I agree with the shameless road ID plugs. Also why does a convict get all the fame? If Ironman is such a hard race how does a lady wearing a boot walk the entire marathon portion and still finish before the cutoff? I thought you had to do a run/walk combination to finish under 17 hours. I was also wondering how people miss the cutoff but say that they will be back next year.

It was a recent stress fracture.  Barring mechanical or weather issues, assuming one has trained well, finishing an IM distance within the cutoffs is not that difficult (for a well trained person, for the average person, not so much). 

2010-12-19 1:13 PM
in reply to: #3253867

Oriondriver02 - 2010-12-19 6:15 AM I like that 3/4 of the show focused on "Iron War II" vice the personal stories given just how close the battle was... the personal stories are simply amazing and I love to see them... which prompted my question... like the woman that did not make the swim last year... there she is again this year... the father/daughter story... I was thinking... what are the odds that they got picked again this year... I also thought the Macca vs. Alexander interviews were interesting to watch... 

Bottom line: I love to watch it every year... 

I am friends with Liz, the daughter.  The father qualified at IM Calif., and then she qualified after that at an IM I can't recall.   Liz has qualified at least three times since I've known her.  Don't presume all of the human interest stories are charity cases.

This was truly an "I am going to race Kona one day", and an "I will qualify so we do it together" story.   Liz was riding at the back so that they would finish together.  BTW, he rode the last 15 miles or so with a broken pelvis from the crash.

Edited by ChrisM 2010-12-19 1:14 PM
2010-12-19 2:19 PM

Champion
Calgary
I watch it every year. By far the best year in my opinion. Product placement did not bother me one bit, although it was noticed. I thought the interviews with the pros was better then in previous years.

Felt for that guy on the bike though who missed the swim cut off last year, that is a sad story. Good on them for following him second year in a row, hope to see him back next year.

Felt it odd how the kept saying that Chrissie was a "no show" with no other explanation, what was that about it?
2010-12-19 2:30 PM

Expert
I watched it with my kids.  Product placement is the new bit thing, no surprise there.  Prime time shows do it now too, DVR's sort of make it required, I suppose.

Overall I loved the coverage, my complaints are:

1.  Too many clips from past races.  And I don't mean the Allen/Scott footage, I liked that.  I mean the opening montage and stuff.  Use clips from this race, not old stuff.  Haven't we seen Stadler puking enough times already?

2.  Too much focus on the drama of survival.  It's a championship RACE, not a death march.

3.  In my memory from the live coverage on race day, didn't Raelert grab a drink with one mile to go, and Macca didn't?  That's when he made the sepparation, right?  At least that's how I remember it.  Seems like it was a tactical f-up by Raelert, and it was not mentioned at all.  Maybe I have my races confused...

Overall, I liked it, and will keep it on the DVR for a long time. Laughing
2010-12-19 2:49 PM

Champion
rizer22 - 2010-12-19 7:14 AM Did anyone else notice the guy running/walking on the side of the 80 year old gentlman, (in his 21st Ironman at Kona) at night, eating a bag of chips?  Am i missing something???

He was carrying his special needs bag, picked up from the 1/2 way point of the marathon.

Some of my own observations:

I did notice that the woman who was following her father on the bike was doing so at less than legal drafting distance.  Not that it mattered in the end, as they didn't finish due to his crash.

I didn't care for all the over-dramatization at the beginning with the endless slow motion filming of the swim.  Too "artsy" for me.

I was surprised by the absence of Rudy Garcia-Toleson...I thought maybe he'd give it another shot this year.

I was bummed out over the guy who made the swim cutoff this year, but then had to drop out after only 10 miles on the bike.  Argh, two years in a row...that really has to suck.

All in all though, I enjoyed the telecast.  They have to appeal to the mass market, since it's taking up a valuable time slot on a major network.  I didn't mind the Road ID ads...it sure beats watching Burger King.
2010-12-19 3:11 PM
in reply to: #3253879

Elite
Fred Doucette - 2010-12-19 9:25 AM
Fleck - 2010-12-19 9:02 AMA few things to keep in mind when it comes to IMH:

1. The WTC is a for profit private business focused on event management and the marketing of the IM brand Thus they can do whatever they like with their events

2. They co-produce the show with NBC. Therefore, the WTC has a big say in what get's shot for the show and what stories they will cover and focus on.

. Well said, I agree 100%! I thought they did a good job with the show Steve. In past years they sometimes have focussed too little on the top pros so I felt they did reasonably well this time. I watched some of it live online in October and enjoyed that more because it was such a compelling race and the outcome was in doubt until the last mile. What were your thoughts?

x2 or whatever we are up to......That is all that televised sports are about...ratings and advertising money...that is why Notre Dame always gets a better bowl than they deserve because of their popularity.......all the networks care about is the fringe fan. They know all of us will watch, but they need to grab the casual fan for ratings

That is why we should be careful to wish that all the ironmans are televised nationally or what you guys have already said will be true...many spots will be taken by hardship cases ( I do appreciate what all of them have done) and corporate sponsers and not the age grouper who spends endless hours alone in the pool, bike or road!!!!!  

Which leads me to the coverage...i wont repeat everything, but I will second the fact that I would have loved to se more age group podium finisher stories even if it needed to be extended to 3 hours....i think NBC could have afforded 1 more hour on a fall/winter Saturday just before christmas 

2010-12-19 5:11 PM

Veteran
It was pretty good except for the infomercials about the id bands they kept slipping in there. That was despicable, frankly, just despicable.
2010-12-19 5:27 PM

Veteran
North Carolina

I thought it was funny when they were narrating when Chris Leito had to stop and lost first place on the run, they didnt even realize they were filming the guy pi$$ing himself!

Edited by lvis 2010-12-19 5:27 PM
2010-12-19 5:40 PM

rizer22 - 2010-12-19 9:14 AM

At the half point of an IM you get your special needs bag with what ever you want to put in there.  You can put a sandwich if you want.  If you're finishing late like some age groupers that will be your dinner.  Remember your out there for breakfast, lunch, and dinner.  You have to eat.  Potato chips contains sodium which can be good for you and taste better than pretzels.
2010-12-20 4:18 PM
in reply to: #3254207

Veteran
Sun Prairie-ish, WI
lvis - 2010-12-19 5:27 PM

I thought it was funny when they were narrating when Chris Leito had to stop and lost first place on the run, they didnt even realize they were filming the guy pi$$ing himself!

At least I'm not the only person who noticed that.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Kona show questions... Rss Feed  

of 3