Trievents
31C / 88F
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 29m 43s
Overall Rank = 489/584
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 27/31
Pre-race routine:

Everything packed & ready the night before. Got up at 4.50am. Pumped milk for Jacob. Made breakfast (porridge) & a coffee. Left home about 5.40am, 10 mins later than I'd hoped but still got there with plenty of time to spare. Was VERY stressed and nervous the whole drive down, so much so that I could hardly stomach my breakfast, I forced myself to eat it, went down very slowly teaspoon by teaspoon!!! Got there, found a park, registered, racked my bike, set up transition, toileted, checked wave starts etc. Then bumped into some friends and stood around chatting until it was time for the race briefing. Sef drove down later once Jacob had woken up, was there when I got out of the water.
Event warmup:

Gentle jog down the beach and then about 5 mins swimming. Some stretching while waiting for our wave to go off.
Swim
  • 17m 49s
  • 750 meters
  • 02m 23s / 100 meters
Comments:

2008 time 19:19
2010 time 17:49

I ummed and ahhed about whether to wear my wetsuit or not. In the end I decided not to, partly because I was worried it wouldn't fit (ha ha ha) but mainly because when I had my swim assessment done, the coach said my body position in the water is quite good anyway so a wetsuit probably won't make me much faster. So I decided not to wear it and save time getting it on and off. Good decision in the end.

Rockingham is an annoying swim - the first 100m or so is very shallow, I mean about 50cm of water, so you have to run out there a fair bit before you can start swimming. Same at the end - you have to run the last 100m out of the water. My heart rate went a bit high doing this but was soon able to settle it down. I focused on my form and breathing and found myself keeping up with a pack of girls which was nice. Wasn't able to really draft very effectively and also my navigation was a bit all over the place. The water was very murky and there was a bit of chop and swell on the way back. Overall I was pleased with my swim. I'd wanted to do it in less than 16 mins, my watch said 16:45 as I was getting out of the water so not too bad, especially if you take into account my zig-zag navigation!!! Total time includes the run up the beach and entry into T1.
What would you do differently?:

Sight more, navigate better, draft better.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

Good good. The usual. No dramas.

Not much.
Bike
  • 39m 51s
  • 20 kms
  • 30.11 km/hr
Comments:

2008 time 45:40
2010 time 39:51

VERY pleased with my bike performance. I really hammered it hard. Did I mention that the race was VERY windy? There was a strong headwind on the way out so I could only manage 27-28 kmhr but on the way back was able to get 33-35 kmhr. I used aero the whole way, drank well, ate some jellies. I passed lots of girls and a few blokes too. I was hoping to go under 40 mins and went well under that, especially as the total bike time actually includes T1 and T2.

Not a lot. Very pleased.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

All good. No complaints.

Nothing.
Run
  • 32m 1s
  • 5 kms
  • 06m 24s  min/km
Comments:

2008 time 29:13
2010 time 32:01

OK. So I'd had a good swim and a bloody marvellous cycle. As I was exiting T2 my watch said 57:30 which is a bloody good time for me. But then I kind of lost the momentum. My lack of fitness really showed in the run, I didn't have the staying power to push as hard as I'd been able to in the swim and cycle. The run was just a long slow shuffle of "are we done yet"??? It was super hot too and that didn't help. If I'd been fitter and run faster, I could have got a really good race time (for me). All the girls I'd passed on the bike flew past me on the run.

Sef & Jacob cheered me from the sidelines. So lovely to see my boys there.

More run training!!! Well, more training in general.
Post race
Warm down:

Crossed the finish line and heard my name called. Drank water and got an apple. Found Sefton & Jacob, Jacob didn't recognise me with my hat & sunnies, but I got a big smile & cuddle when I took them off. We went out for breakfast with some friends, although I wasn't hungry and just had a coffee.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of adequate fitness to finish strongly.

Event comments:

2008 time 1:34:14
2010 time 1:29:43

As it was I'd hoped to go under 1:30 and managed to do that which is fantastic, a PB over this course by about 4 1/2 mins, but I just can't help but think how much faster I could have gone if I'd had the fitness to lift my run pace!!! Oh well, live and learn. I think thats the great things about triathlon, no matter how much you improve, you can always improve more! I am doing as much training as I can and I will continue to just try and do my personal best. I like this course, this is a good race even though its at a difficult time of the year just before Christmas. I hope to be back again next year, as long as I am not pregnant with #2 LOL ;-)

Last updated: 2010-09-11 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:17:49 | 750 meters | 02m 23s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/31
Overall: 0/584
Performance: Good
Suit: No
Course: Rectangular course out around some buoys.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Average Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 00:00
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:39:51 | 20 kms | 30.11 km/hr
Wind: Headwind
Course: Two laps out & back.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:32:01 | 05 kms | 06m 24s  min/km
Performance: Bad
Course: Running along beach path. One loop in a "hammer" formation.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2010-12-19 7:31 PM

User image

Master
Perth, Australia
Subject: City of Rockingham Triathlon

2010-12-19 10:00 PM
in reply to: #3254279

User image

Veteran
Perth
Subject: RE: City of Rockingham Triathlon
PB!!! Brilliant. Great swim & Bike. I looked for you out there yesterday but it was hard to recognise anyone. You must have been flying on the bike with the tailwind - it's not nice when you have to turn around and ride into it though. All your cycling and swimming are paying off. Get the run leg happening and you'll be up there!!
2010-12-19 10:48 PM

User image

Perth, WA
Not the best conditions to be racing in, windy and cold before the race and even windier and bloody hot during. Awesome effort on getting a PB, wonder woman has left the building and wonder mum has taken her place! What an excellent come back. It doesn't matter how well we do, we will always find areas where we think we can do better. You did an awesome job out there. Well done!
2010-12-20 3:37 AM

User image

Veteran
Melbourne
Great job Magda!!  What a wonderful bike leg you had, especially if it was that windy!  You have a solid swim, so get your running sorted and you'll be flying along even more!
What a great way to start your career as a triathlete mom!
2010-12-21 1:34 AM

User image

Expert
Perth, Australia
woo hoo, great job, Magda and a PB, brilliant.  Don't be so hard on yourself - this was amazing; it's not long since you had a baby, you're still breastfeeding, getting up at night and working again.  I'm so impressed that you get any training done at all!  It's a fantastic testament to your motivation and dedication to have such an awesome race.  Once you get that running fitness up you will be even mightier than you are already.  You're a great role model for mums everywhere :-)
2010-12-21 7:41 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Montreal
Amazing race! You are doing so well, you're getting back into it quicker than ever!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » City of Rockingham Triathlon Rss Feed