General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Gateway to the Bay Sprint Triathlon : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 5

2011-04-02 8:39 PM
in reply to: #3254468

Subject: RE: Gateway to the Bay Sprint Triathlon : Official Thread
Thanks for the info.  I too spent much time 'on the right'.

2011-04-04 8:47 AM
in reply to: #3426956

Regular
Hats off to OnUrmark and and Aaron and his whole team and all of the amazing volunteers this weekend. What a tremendous experience for my first triathlon. Everything was top notch. My wife (who did the Olympic) and I got there on Friday afternoon and smoothly got through packet pick up and I attended the race briefing and we picked up a couple of things from the expo. Saturday morning was well organized and race course could not have been more smooth. The volunteers and police were ample and helpful and encouraging. they had been well schooled to make this a tremendous race for everyone.

Also, there was just a great attitude amongst the athletes. made some new friends out there and also got to meet a couple of pros who happened to be staying at the same B&B as my wife and I---Lavelle and Lieto. Nice folks.

As a spectator for the Olympic on Sunday, it was the same high quality experience. Outstanding job. I'll be back as long as they keep having this race.

I also got the chance to talk to one of the local business men who's house was near our B&B. He was going on and on about how great this event was for Kemah and how he's glad we were there. Its clear the city of Kemah fully embraced this event.

Great job all around.
2011-04-04 9:43 AM

New user

First I would like to say that I was not competing in the Gateway to the Bay yesterday, just a spectator of my first Olympic Tri. I was very impressed with the race and all the competitors and fellow supporters.

That being said there was one issue I would like to share. I just arrived at the event at 4:30 and there were immediate parking shots on the left hand side in which cars were pulling into. Thinking I could park there, I attempted to make a left into the parking lot only for this real to start yelling and cussing at me. He stopped me in the middle of the road telling me I could not park there, and almost causing to get hit by the car behind me and a car exiting just because he didn't have the decency to tell me pull in and exit immediately because I was not allowed to park there. Normally I am a very calm individual but at this point I seriously thought about getting out in pummeling this individual (perhaps if my vehicle would have been hit so would this guy). Later in the morning at bicycle check in I saw this same individual from the parking lot in a golf cart like vehicle driving around almost hitting several people; spectators and athletes alike. In doing so he was yelling rudely at these people to get out of his way.

Later in the day while talking to several volunteers and athletes alike I spotted the rude individual and told my story. To my surprise I was told this individual was the race director. Now I have been told by several people that refuse to compete in this guys triathlon's that this particular race director (believe me this is the nicest thing I've heard about this guy). Funny how within 5 minutes of being at the Gateway to the Bay I got the same impression of the race director and he went above and beyond to prove the competitors right.

2011-04-04 9:52 AM
in reply to: #3428561

User image

Extreme Veteran
Houston, TX

Wow that was very hurtful. I'm sorry you have that impression. I was not yelling and cursing (I NEVER cursed). I was telling everyone to move their cars because Kemah would tow them if they didn't. Parking is strict and Kemah only allows the event due to the fact that we have everyone parking in the parking garage. The fact that spectators were taking it on themselves to move cones, ignore signage and park where they want even after numerous emails and warning were sent out was frustrating and very disrespectful to say the least. 

As for the golf cart. It was NOT being driven around dangerously, we did have to shout because if we didn't no one could here us as the horn did not work. It is the only way we can effectively get from point to point. Please try to understand that. 

I am sorry and very hurt if people have the impression that I'm a DB. That being said I guess it's the race and the athlete that matter and not me. As long as the race is positive and people have a good time and inspire each other that's what we're here for. I would hope that I'm not looked on poorly and will certainly do what I can to be better about that. I've always tried to be very nice, accommodating, and plan things for people the best that I can. Our crew and myself deeply care about the athletes (as you can see by our safe courses and police protection). That's really all I'll say about that. I don't want to get into anything. Just wanted to defend myself a little.

Thanks to all those that came out. It was a great day and from what we've heard you all a had a great time. We're pleased to contribute.

To the new user that wrote the comment directly above: You are more than welcome to email me directly... [email protected] or call me at 832-334-6362 and we can discuss this further if you'd like. Thanks

Aaron

Edited by onurleft 2011-04-04 9:53 AM
2011-04-04 10:34 AM

Master
Montgomery, Tx

First post bashing someone is lame. 

I thought it was a great race yesterday.  I think the only complaint I heard that is valid was no water on the boat.  I was one of the lucky ones who found the 1/2 empty ozarka jug and kept a cup to have with my gel before the race.  Besides that everything was great.  The bike course was a blast.  Flat and fast, I could not help but go as hard as I could the entire time.  I could have done without the bridge, but that adds mystic to races.  The after party was nice.  My fit foods had some great food!  If anyone is not going to use the 2-1 meal from there please send them to me.   I was also glad for the honey milk when I went through the finish chute because I forgot my chocalate milk.  It taste pretty dang good and I "may" have taken one for after my next long ride. lol 

I ended up 3rd in the 35-39 AG and the guy who was first turned down the Alcatraz spot.  I wish I had the money so I could have picked it up.  Not looking past IMTX, but I can not wait for Bridgeland.

WHERE WAS THE BEER?   

2011-04-04 10:45 AM
in reply to: #3428696

User image

Extreme Veteran
Dallas, TX
TriPatrick - 2011-04-04 10:34 AM

I thought it was a great race yesterday.  I think the only complaint I heard that is valid was no water on the boat.  I was one of the lucky ones who found the 1/2 empty ozarka jug and kept a cup to have with my gel before the race.  Besides that everything was great.  The bike course was a blast.  Flat and fast, I could not help but go as hard as I could the entire time.  I could have done without the bridge, but that adds mystic to races.  The after party was nice.  My fit foods had some great food!  If anyone is not going to use the 2-1 meal from there please send them to me.   I was also glad for the honey milk when I went through the finish chute because I forgot my chocalate milk.  It taste pretty dang good and I "may" have taken one for after my next long ride. lol 

I ended up 3rd in the 35-39 AG and the guy who was first turned down the Alcatraz spot.  I wish I had the money so I could have picked it up.  Not looking past IMTX, but I can not wait for Bridgeland.

WHERE WAS THE BEER?   

There was water and cups at the bar. I'm not sure whether we were supposed to use it or not.

Looking at the results, it seems that a lot of us don't show coming out of T1. Is that common? We must have all crammed into the two porta-potties.

2011-04-04 10:48 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Houston, TX
Thanks Patrick. Yeah I'll admit, Angie told me she just forgot about grabbing the cooler for the water and accelerade on the boat but it was a good thing because nothing could be brought on anyway (so they wouldn't allow it) and we didn't know this until late in the game. Very sorry about that but glad you had a great time out there. THE BEER was in the HRTC. 3 Kegs of it. Adam announced that all morning. lol I don't like it when people don't get beer haha. If you know Ron Stitt let him have it for not getting you beer. I know it would have eased the pain of the bridge Laughing

Edited by onurleft 2011-04-04 10:55 AM
2011-04-04 10:50 AM
in reply to: #3428721

User image

Extreme Veteran
Houston, TX
Not common and I'm asking the same question to the timer. I think we'll probably try a new system for Bridgeland. Hopefully some of the chips pickup better.
2011-04-04 10:51 AM

User image

Expert
Spring (Houston), TX
TriPatrick - 2011-04-04 10:34 AM

WHERE WAS THE BEER?   

Thank you for the kind words.

Just an FYI, water on the boat wasn't an option - it was in the plans but got nixed by people outside of our control. The boat was leaving to go back to Galveston immediately after the swimmers were off, so there was no way to get the equipment back, nor to deal with the trash that would be left on the boat prior to it's departure. It is something the race team was aware of, but was not able to find a good work around. Hopefully something different can be done next year. It will definitely be discussed in our post race meetings, as well as some other curve balls that the racer's never saw - which is exactly as it should be.

Greg
2011-04-04 11:18 AM

User image

Pro
Houston

Aaron can tell you I have not always been the happiest of campers. However, my issues have been with the race and he has always addressed those issues and worked hard to take every athlete into consideration and make things better.

Maybe coolers & cups right before we get on the boat? I had a water bottle with me I was nursing and was super glad I had it. A lot of folks were anxious and your mouth tends to get dry. I understand why having water on the boat could have been an issue but if we had it right before and told 'no water on the boat' we would have been more prepared.

Huge buoys were AWESOME! Communication was great. As an athlete everything flowed. The only thing I was looking for and unable to find was a port-a-potty on the run.

My only issue, and this is minor, is for the volunteers. My son, husband and friend volunteered for this race and none of them got anything to eat the whole day. Two of them were given new jobs and worked from 4:45 until after the awards ceremony. One was taken to the other side of the bridge and the other in transition. They were happy to help out but were starving. I wasn't there so not sure of the circumstances but it would have been great if someone was checking with volunteers asking if they need a break or to get a bite. This has been my experience as a volunteer in the past, I felt taken care of.

I was the DNF on the bridge via ambulance. The medical guys on bikes were spot on!

2011-04-04 11:23 AM
in reply to: #3428814

User image

Extreme Veteran
Houston, TX
Keri I'm sorry to hear about that on the bridge. I was just about to call my medical people to get the number to call that person. Are you ok? I heard you refused medical transport. Very sorry to hear that and I hope you still had a great time. You and I go back a ways on these posts and your comments have always been well thought out and I take them to heart. You always come back to our races and we are all very appreciative. Despite the bridge I hope you had a great time and thanks so much for your kind words and suggestions.

2011-04-04 11:27 AM
in reply to: #3428561

User image

Champion
Fairport, NY
FeetofFury - 2011-04-04 10:43 AM

First I would like to say that I was not competing in the Gateway to the Bay yesterday, just a spectator of my first Olympic Tri. I was very impressed with the race and all the competitors and fellow supporters.

Dup account. Appropriate administrative actions have been taken.

2011-04-04 11:40 AM
in reply to: #3428825

User image

Pro
Houston

onurleft - 2011-04-04 11:23 AM Keri I'm sorry to hear about that on the bridge. I was just about to call my medical people to get the number to call that person. Are you ok? I heard you refused medical transport. Very sorry to hear that and I hope you still had a great time. You and I go back a ways on these posts and your comments have always been well thought out and I take them to heart. You always come back to our races and we are all very appreciative. Despite the bridge I hope you had a great time and thanks so much for your kind words and suggestions.

I was racing sick. The swim was good but took a lot out of me. I had cramps the whole time I was on the bike. The run did me in. I had gotten sick, had cramps in more muscles than I can name and was dizzy. The bike med guy spotted me on the bridge staggering & heaving. My pulse was thready so he called the ambulance I refused hospital transport and asked to be taken to the finish line where Ken was waiting. Everyone was great. See you at Bridgeland.

2011-04-04 11:47 AM

User image

Master
Houston

Aaron,

I too thought the race (Sprint) was generally well run and appreciated that the team (or volunteers) rescued my wife twice (in the water and after her flat).

Not sure if you saw my comment from Saturday but my only complaint is the rush into the water on the sprint.  I really think it added to the stress for us first timers to still be on the ramp when the start of your wave kicked in.

One additional suggestion for next year would be to provide packet pickup at the clinic for those who are participating.

Thanks again for the organization.

The Biker on your Right.

2011-04-04 12:05 PM

User image

Expert
Broomfield, CO

Oh no Keri! I knew you were sick, sorry to hear about you having health problems on the run or racing sick for that matter.

I had a great swim and bike then I suffered on the run with a cramp just below my rib cage. That happened in the first mile, I knew it was going to be a long run. I could only manage to ek out 10 minute miles. I dropped a lot of places after doing so well on the swim and bike.

Aaron I thought the race was well planned and executed. I love the big buoys

I do have some questions/comments:

1. Maybe you should just plan on starting the race later next year if done in the same month. As someone said "on the boat" said, "...Sunrise is very predictable, why wasn't the race just planned to start later?"

2. Why did we anchor so far away from the start of the swim?

3. How much further was the swim?

4. LOVED! the wet suit strippers, LOVED IT!

5. I got a penalty somewhere for something, not sure what or where. Can I find out what that was for so I don't do it again? 

6. Do the results posted include my penalty?

7. I know the issue with not having a timed bike is being addressed. I knew I was slow in transition but 1:14:00 is pretty slow :-)

8. I don't know how you managed to stop so much traffic on the course but THUMBS UP for those logistics!

9. Could it be possible to not have the MC on the boat yell into the microphone? I think I lost some hearing.

10. If you could manage to have all the wind be a tail wind like the return to transition that would be great...I was hammering out 28 MPH on the return with someone in tow :-

I had a great time and all my family and friends did too

Before I sign up for Bridgeland should wait for the Groupon or do you think I'm safe to sign up early? :-)

Thanks for your hard work and thick skin...no one said it was going to be easy

Take care

2011-04-04 12:16 PM
in reply to: #3428890

User image

Extreme Veteran
Houston, TX

This year we had to accommodate the request to to have 3 min between wave starts from the city to get everyone on the road even sooner. Next year with more people in each wave we'll have to do 5 min. The city will send out even more advanced warning so it's all good! 

Packet pickup will most likely be provided at the clinic.

Aaron

2011-04-04 12:26 PM
in reply to: #3428931

User image

Extreme Veteran
Houston, TX

1. Maybe you should just plan on starting the race later next year if done in the same month. As someone said "on the boat" said, "...Sunrise is very predictable, why wasn't the race just planned to start later?"

We thought we'd be ok after a lot of research but the clouds and sun weren't cooperating. Next year it'll be 7am. Sun will be up enough and boat will be easier now that we've done the big boat.

2. Why did we anchor so far away from the start of the swim?

Coast Guard required them to turn off the engine and for whatever reason the boat was drifting. Ended up being 150-200 yards long. Sorry, this bothers me. We'll figure it out. Fair for everyone though since you all started in the same spot Laughing

3. How much further was the swim?

150-200 yards we think.

4. LOVED! the wet suit strippers, LOVED IT!

5. I got a penalty somewhere for something, not sure what or where. Can I find out what that was for so I don't do it again? 

[email protected]

6. Do the results posted include my penalty?

Yes.

7. I know the issue with not having a timed bike is being addressed. I knew I was slow in transition but 1:14:00 is pretty slow :-)

8. I don't know how you managed to stop so much traffic on the course but THUMBS UP for those logistics!

They love the event! Kemah is 100% behind it.

9. Could it be possible to not have the MC on the boat yell into the microphone? I think I lost some hearing.

Lol. I don't think he knew it was that loud. Sorry.

10. If you could manage to have all the wind be a tail wind like the return to transition that would be great...I was hammering out 28 MPH on the return with someone i

I'll talk to the wind and work something out. The wind isn't currently a sponsor but I'm sure we can get it on board.

NO MORE GROUPONS. MAN I HAVE TO SAY THAT DESPITE THE EXPOSURE AND THE BACKLASH OR PRAISE IT IS NOT WORTH IT AS MANY THOUGHT THAT THEY WERE REGISTERED FOR THE EVENT SIMPLY BY PAYING. BIG PAIN. WHAT I GET THOUGH. Lol.

No Groupons for Bridgeland or Houston so signup early because those 2 events sellout.

2011-04-04 12:40 PM
in reply to: #3428981

Regular
Aaron, I'll reiterate: your team did a great job this weekend. The overall race experience was top notch in my book. I know there are those that will always find something to gripe about, but in my mind those issues were all minor. for a two-day event with as many racers and spectators involved, I thought it went smoothly. I was around all weekend and talked to lots of other competitors and fans and volunteers and honestly didn't hear anyone griping or complaining about anything.

Of course there is always room for improvement in anything in life, but I think the large majority this weekend had a blast including my wife and I.
2011-04-04 1:01 PM

User image

Houston, Texas

I have done a few races and Aaron's group puts on the best ones.  Kemah was no different. I had a great time and enjoyed the race.  The boat start and running on the bridge added to the character of the race.  

In response to FeetofFury, try to run an event the size of this triathlon and then you can throw stones.  I bet you would have complained if your car got towed about how nobody told you not to park there.  Cut the man some slack, he's running a huge event.  Nobody's perfect and in the end his races ROCK ! 

2011-04-04 1:05 PM

User image

Master
Disclaimer: I wasn't able to race at either of the Kemah races this year.

However, last year I worked as one of the coordinators with Onurmark productions. I cannot even begin to tell you how much time and thought Aaron puts into all of his races. Actually one of his faults (sorry Aaron) is probably his attention to small details in every area. If and when things go wrong at any race it is normally out of the control of the RD or coordinators. I seriously doubt you will find many other races that offer the same attention to detail and caring that Onurmark does.

2011-04-04 1:39 PM

User image

Expert
Broomfield, CO

Thanks for the responses Aaron. 

By the way, seriously nice medals!

2011-04-04 2:53 PM
in reply to: #3429151

User image

Expert
The Woodlands, TX

I thought it was a great weekend of races and well planned out. Kudos to the organizers. I thought that the best part, by far, were the caps. Never seen swim caps that amazing.

2011-04-04 3:40 PM

Master
Houston, TX
Great race Aaron.  Thanks for all your hard work (and thank you to all the volunteers and anyone who helped out in any way).  I thoroughly enjoyed the race and look forward to doing your races (especially the Houston triathlon).  This was my first time to do this particular race, but I think I'm putting it on the "redo list".  They are well organized and run.  Thanks man.
2011-04-04 6:14 PM

User image

Aaron,

I must say I had great time yesterday.  I will start off by saying that I have done the past two prep/training sessions you have put on.  The Aquathlon and the clinic.  I enjoyed those thoroughly as well and yesterdays race was nothing more than excellent!  I only have two small comments but I'll leave those for the end.  The check-in was a breeze, I was worried I wasn't going to have enough time to set up in transition area.  Volunteers were very helpful.  Got on the boat and headed out.  (I think enough ppl have made the pitch about fluids, but I understand your reasoning).  The swim was awesome (my favorite leg).  Transition was great, very well spaced and coordinated.  The ride was smooth, and worry free.  I tanked out at the run start either from not eating enough breakfast or having so much fun that I went all out on the swim and bike!  The run was a nice course but it was very hard since I had to pee and was running on fumes.  Beautiful medals man!  Thank GOD you had tons of pizza...I probably ate a at least half a pie not to mention a hand full of cookies and a bowl of fruit!  I was looking for the beer garden...guess someone kept it for themselves!

On another note, I can't thank you enough for making the volunteering such a nice experience for those.  The Mrs. and my three kids were out there all helping.  The Mrs. and daughter were at the first U turn telling riders to slow down, my four yr old son was on the median yelling at riders to "keep to your right, is what the man told me to say dad".  Out of T2 was my son handing out water.  I was tanked out by then but when I saw him I could see he was having a great time and knew I had to finish.  My two boys ran the finish with me, hate to say it but they smoked me to the finish line.

All I kept on hearing afterward was how much fun they all had watching the pros fly by and all the racers competing.  My two oldest were so stoked that they got home that evening and set up their own little dualathlon!  I think the seed has been planted....looks like you will be having some jr. triathletes on your hands in the future! 

Now my post race observations:

I second Keri's comment.  There were no port-a-cans until after mile 3.  I had to stop under the bridge and sneak off to the side to relieve myself.  (Sorry Kemah!)

Volunteer directors need to communicate a bit more during and after they are no longer needed.  The Mrs.  didn't know what to do or where to go after the last cyclist pasted the U-turn point.  She just headed back to the Transition area. 

Once again much Kudos to you and your huge crew that put this on!  See you at Bridgeland and Houston baby!

2011-04-05 4:30 PM

User image

Veteran
SE TX

This thread seems to have comments about both the Sprint and the Oly, so I will cover both in one post.

I did the sprint Saturday. Had a blast. Got spooked w/the rushed swim start, but that is on my mental prep, not the race organization. Was able to recover and have a great swim. Wetsuit strippers were the best ever. Carpet to transition was sweet, and that run to transition wasn't very long in my opinion. Police presence on the bike course was stellar. Absolutely great. Volunteers warning me to carry bike up curb btwn dismount and transition was nice too. That coulda hurt.

Sunday I volunteered for bodymarking. I got to bodymark some pros, who were nice as could be. Terenzo even let me touch his bike. Yes, I am a total geek, but bringing pros down here to race in Kemah is a huge deal (more on this to follow). After bodymarking we went down to watch the boat load up. After my kids ran the KidsK (which was nice Aaron, except their course was maybe 500m. . . I think it would have been easy to get a full 1000m for them, but no big deal). Then my wife and kids volunteered at an aid station on the run course. I moved around the course to watch some friends who were racing, then helped out at the aid station w/the kids.

On the pro athletes: Initially, I wasn't real impressed w/Aaron touting their presence. I am more about how well-run a race is, the safety on the bike course, and the beer after (seriously). Well, Aaron made it ALL happen, and I learned a lot about the pros: they are nice folks, serious about their racing, but happy to talk w/anyone. My kids, who are in a kids' tri club, got to watch the pros in T1 and hand out water to most of the pros (as well as everyone else who made it to the run). They had a blast, and have a newfound appreciation for what racing is about. Seriously, taking the kids and volunteering was as much fun as racing the day before.

Thank You.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Gateway to the Bay Sprint Triathlon : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 5