Miller Family YMCA
60F / 16C
Precipitation
Total Time = 22m 44s
Overall Rank = 21/302
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 1/20
Event warmup:

Ran around in the rain for 10 minutes... it rained throughout the even this year.
Run
  • 22m 46s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 07m 19s  min/mile
Comments:

I ran this with my family. My 11yo is really coming on as a runner and recently ran a 21:40 5k and a 6:15 mile. We usually run together at 5k's, but she is now pushing the limits for what I can hang with. I started at a steady, strong sustainable pace up the hill. I pulled away from her but really thought she would reel me in. At the half-way point, she was no where in sight and I was feeling guilty for dropping her. At any rate, I soft pedaled the last 2k hoping she would catch-up and we would cross the line together. She had an off day and just wasn't feeling it. I finished solo, turned in my number and chip and then went back out on the course. I jumped back in when my wife and daughter came by and we all ran in together. I was pleasantly shocked to have still won my age-group after soft pedaling the last 2k. I was especially stoked that even though my daughter had a bad day, she still placed in her AG (as did my wife), so we all went home with plaques!
What would you do differently?:

Either run with the family 100% or do my own race 100%... but not vacillate between the two!
Post race
Event comments:

This is a fun, well run local 5k. There is some fantastic running in this area and I hope they add a 10k (or more) in the future.

Last updated: 2010-12-20 12:00 AM
Running
00:22:46 | 03.11 miles | 07m 19s  min/mile
Age Group: 1/20
Overall: 21/302
Performance: Average
Course: 1.25 mile gradual climb followed by gradual descent back to start/finish
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes