BT Development Mentor Program Archives » BB's Really Beginner Mentor Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 38

2011-03-25 5:32 PM
in reply to: #3414072

User image

Veteran
Kennebunkport, Qatar
Subject: RE: BB's Really Beginner Mentor Group - CLOSED
jpbis26 - 2011-03-25 12:21 PM
croixfan - 2011-03-25 10:41 AM

So you're playing match maker Jackie?  Come clean on what the REAL text message said.  It's great that you're able to help friend in that manner.  Sure it makes it easier for them knowing that the person they're interested in is not a wacko -- you know the kind that would spend two hours riding a trainer.

Have a great weekend / hopefully you'll be able to get outside versus more time on the trainer.

Haha I will be getting outside this Sunday. The trainer is more due to time/child care than weather (I do the workouts at night after my kids have gone to sleep).

Mike- I like the DVD's. They tell me what gear to be in and where to keep my cadence (which they seem to want insanely high!) so it's very structured. I had been doing Jorge's program and going off of HR, and that had been good too. His sessions are generally 1 hour. Some of these DVDs can be 3-5 hors long. I'm not that crazy. Yet. So I just try and do as much as I can and then cool down for 5 mins. Also, I play the DVD on my lap top or kid's portable DVD player, so I don't have to set up a whole separate TV/DVD in the garage.

I will go out and lose fingers and toes to frost bite before I will ever do 3-5 hours on the trainer! 2 hours with a good movie on Netflix is about my max on a trainer in the basement!

Come on everyone, you will get all of the sleep you need when you are dead! lol

2011-03-26 8:53 PM
in reply to: #3256072

User image

Veteran
Cuernavaca, Mexico

Mike -  I’m glad your dog is doing fine!  Good job in the pool!

Jackie – Great job on the trainer!  It’s difficult to find the time to do things when kids are that young.  So good you are doing it.  Loved the match making story LOL.  I’m a romantic…

Curt – you are more than ready for a Sprint, aren’t you?

I was very good today! (finally)  I went out on my mountain bike and rode 20Km for the first time.  Later on I had a quick swim of 600m.  I had planned to swim 800m, but I should have got to the club earlier.  I hope I can swim more tomorrow.  I also forgot to put some sun block. Big mistake inCuernavaca!  It hurts a bit, but I need a tan anyway.  

Have a great evening everybody!

2011-03-26 10:07 PM
in reply to: #3415994

User image

Extreme Veteran
Somewhere, British Columbia

Hi everybody,

figured I should come by to say Hi as I have the feeling the only thing I'm doing now is training as my logs can show... :\ Must organized myself to shuffle my time and find some spare time :D

Anyway, did my 1st workout with the wetsuit ON on the endless pool this morning. Man, this is SO different than being just in a jammer. So managed to do 1500m in 26 min !!! I couldn't believe it myself !

As my coach told me after that, now, I have to learn how to sight :D

Anyway, tomorrow, this will be the end of my "recovery week"... ... BUT, next week is a "taper" week because I'm racing a 8k on Saturday... How clever is that, 2 weeks of "don't push too hard..."

Have a good one everybody !

2011-03-27 11:46 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Naperville, IL

Nice, easy, 4.7 mile run today (9:50 pace).  Need to do some more of these / work on longer, slower runs to build my base a bit more.

Hope everyone has a good day.

2011-03-27 1:59 PM

User image

Master
Just South of Boston

Folks have been busy!

Had a good weekend here. managed a couple of trainer rides - Sat was a 40 minute sm/bg ring cadence ride. Today's was  50 minute interval workout I found on BT. I was *dead* tired by the time it was over, but it felt great.

also made it to the pool today, and did another 1200 yard drills session, nearly all 25 & 50 yard work. Also ran into my old instructor and made arrangements for a couple lessons. He teaches a triathlon class at the local Y, so i'm looking forward to some pointers.

The big news --- tomorrow I will run for the first time in 6 weeks. My foot is feeling 95% better, and I'm going to do a walk/run for a couple miles. Hopes are high that all is well. I realized toay my second DNS road race of the spring is about to happen. The local 10k is next Sunday, and I seriously doubt I'll be ready, plus I'm not pushing the foot to do the race, that would be just dumb. I'll still get my shirt, though

2011-03-27 2:15 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Naperville, IL

Mike -- Glad to hear you're about to get back on the road.  Take your time! 

Given that there's a few of us in the group that are closer to 60 than 20 (geez it kills me to write that!), thought you might find this article interesting.  Not sure I was able to absorb all of it, but the general theme certainly is worth considering.  Enjoy:

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=2207

2011-03-27 5:05 PM

User image

Veteran
Cuernavaca, Mexico

Mike -  Good to know you are running tomorrow.  Enjoy what you can at the race, good you are getting your T-shirt  LOL

Curt – Thanks for the article.  I agree that sports are a way to ease your way into those “later years” in life.  It improves your quality of life giving your strength, mobility, looks and state of mind.  I see that in my parents who have both been keen on exercising all their lives and are healthy and in great shape for their age.   My mother used to run, at 73 now she walks 5Km briskly every morning.  My father will be 80 on 12th June, he swims 800m every day and in the last decade he has increased that distance so that he can celebrate his birthday with 1500m.  He was also a diver and he can still do a couple of beautiful dives from the 3m board.  I hope to be able to follow their example.  In the mean time, I’m enjoying fitting in those tight jeans the article refers to, but I wish I knew how to train like real athletes do.

I had visitors today, but I managed to swim 1000m before they closed the club.  90 degrees when I left the pool, it must have been warmer later on.  Cool

Have a nice evening everyone!Smile

Edited by itziaol 2011-03-27 6:59 PM
2011-03-27 7:34 PM

User image

Master
Just South of Boston

the article was great, but didn't make me feel old. What made me feel old today is knowing my oldest daughter will be eligible for a drivers permit in 4 1/2 years. WTH??? When did all that time go by? Yikes

Back to the pool tomorrow. Feeling very upbeat about the swim. Tomorrow evening is the run.

2011-03-28 3:04 PM

User image

Master
Hingham, Ma
Here's a video from a swim coach at the MultiSport Expo in NY.  He talks about 5 swim drills that will help you, no matter what level you are.  Great piece.  It's about 13 min long.

http://video.competitor.com/2011/03/triathlon/training/five-essential-swim-drills/
2011-03-28 6:09 PM
in reply to: #3418399

User image

Master
Just South of Boston

Boston Beginner - 2011-03-28 3:04 PM Here's a video from a swim coach at the MultiSport Expo in NY.  He talks about 5 swim drills that will help you, no matter what level you are.  Great piece.  It's about 13 min long.

http://video.competitor.com/2011/03/triathlon/training/five-essential-swim-drills/[/QUOTE]

Thanks, Josh - gread vid, and there are a couple things I'm going to try from that

Felt great in the pool this AM.

2011-03-29 5:21 PM
in reply to: #3418730

User image

Extreme Veteran
Naperville, IL
Mike_D - 2011-03-28 6:09 PM

Boston Beginner - 2011-03-28 3:04 PM Here's a video from a swim coach at the MultiSport Expo in NY.  He talks about 5 swim drills that will help you, no matter what level you are.  Great piece.  It's about 13 min long.

http://video.competitor.com/2011/03/triathlon/training/five-essential-swim-drills/[/QUOTE]

Thanks, Josh - gread vid, and there are a couple things I'm going to try from that

Josh you're awesome!!!!   I focused on the side drill for a bit and then used the same concept on some slow, delibarate laps.  WOW!!!  My SPL is normally over 30 and I was down to 24 AND able to do 100's at 2:30 -- fast for me.  Felt awkward/unnatural but that's normal for something new.  Key to me was dropping the arm down a bit and really focusing on reaching and getting on my side.

I'll be re-watching the video and working more on some of the drills.  Thanks for the great tip.

2011-03-29 7:23 PM
in reply to: #3420531

User image

Master
Hingham, Ma
croixfan - 2011-03-29 6:21 PM
Mike_D - 2011-03-28 6:09 PM

Josh you're awesome!!!!   I focused on the side drill for a bit and then used the same concept on some slow, delibarate laps.  WOW!!!  My SPL is normally over 30 and I was down to 24 AND able to do 100's at 2:30 -- fast for me.  Felt awkward/unnatural but that's normal for something new.  Key to me was dropping the arm down a bit and really focusing on reaching and getting on my side.

I'll be re-watching the video and working more on some of the drills.  Thanks for the great tip.

That's great to hear.  I like doing drills.  I find they help out tremendously.  Another one I like is for breathing.  Do 100, breathing every 3rd stroke, 100 - every 4th stroke, then 100 every 5th stroke.  It builds lung capacity.
2011-03-29 7:26 PM

User image

Master
Just South of Boston

I'm trying the side drill tomorrow. My rotation has been iffy lately, particularly to the left (I'm a right side only breather).

Big news for today...... I RAN! With actual running shoes, on a road, and everything. It was glorious! Best part? no real pain, and still none, even an hour later. granted it was a short time/distance (12 min, 1 mi), but it was a toe back in the water. Big smile on this kid. Will keep ramping up slowly, and will likely DNS the 10k road race this coming Sunday.

Will continue to ice, and tape, but I plan on adding light running back into my routine, and ramp it back up, and hope for the best.

2011-03-29 9:56 PM

User image

Veteran
Cuernavaca, Mexico

Mike – Congratulations on your run!  I’m glad you are feeling better.

Curt – Nice improvement!

Just got back from riding my mountain bike for 8.75 Km.  It’s getting very hot these days, so exercising in the evening is much nicer.  That video sounds interesting Josh, I’ll have a look at it this week.

I forgot to mention that I fell from my bike for the first time.  I'm OK, it was just a little embarrassing...   :-S

Good night everybody!  Laughing

Edited by itziaol 2011-03-29 10:06 PM
2011-03-29 10:06 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Naperville, IL

Let's take a vote -- all in favor of banning Itzia and Jackie from mentioning warm weather say "Aye"!

Jealous of you two and the nice weather.  Hopefully we'll get some in our worlds soon.

2011-03-29 11:00 PM

User image

Veteran
Cuernavaca, Mexico

Ooops!  I'm sorry Curt...  Embarassed

It does have its drawbacks, you know?  I’m sure it will be too warm tomorrow when I ride with the team again.  We have to be careful with water because there isn’t much around until the rainy season in the summer.  Most people complain that it’s too hot. 

Not me though, I’m spoiled.  My home and office have ideal temps. LOL 

Spring will be here for you soon too!  Cool

2011-03-30 1:07 AM

User image

Expert
Las Vegas, NV

Mike- Glad to see you are running again.

Itzia- Glad your bike fall was uneventful and you were not hurt. Happens to everyone. Couple weeks ago I lost my balance when I standing still with one foot clipped out and scraped myself on a boulder. Talk about dumb.

I know Vegas seems nice now, but believe me, you would not like it in July. In the summer, I have to start riding at 4:30am so I don't get heat stroke and it is still close to 100 degrees at that hour. I usually migrate north for a few weeks every July and visit my family in Buffalo.

Looks like I will ride both Sat and Sun morning with a run after the Sun bike ride. Looking to get in some trainer time and short runs before then. IF only I could motivate myself to swim...I admit it's boring when I'm not in a group.

2011-03-30 5:59 AM
in reply to: #3420862

User image

Master
Just South of Boston
croixfan - 2011-03-29 10:06 PM

Let's take a vote -- all in favor of banning Itzia and Jackie from mentioning warm weather say "Aye"!

Jealous of you two and the nice weather.  Hopefully we'll get some in our worlds soon.

I'm in!   Particularly since the forecast for Friday is SNOW -- yes, SNOW. On April 1st. WTH??

Jackie - I'd take the 4 AM warm rides if it means no more snow.
Itzia -- falling over while clipped in seems to be a right of passage when you start riding. I did it twice last weekend, once while trying to get off the bike and cross the street. Only about 10 cars saw me do it.

Foot is still OK today. A bit tender, but nothing different than its been the past few days. First step or two in the AM was the worst, but now its good.

Curt -- the side swim drill from the video is great. I tried it this AM, and it really does emphasize body position/rotation. I used fins when I did it so I didn't sink. I did find myself looking sideways the first time I did it, which is a no no. Give it a shot.

Josh -- you running the Cohasset 10k this weekend? I'm supposed to, but I seriously doubt I'll try, and end up a DNS. Going from injured & no running to a 10k in 5 days seems like a dumb idea.

2011-03-30 6:01 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Naperville, IL
Jackie I'd trade for Vegas' weather in a minute -- lived in Dubai for 3 years and much prefer the heat.  You're right about having to use the non-daylight hours for something physical.  Good news is 3-4 weeks from now we'll have the best time of the year here / temps should be just right.
2011-03-30 8:35 AM
in reply to: #3420968

User image

Master
Hingham, Ma
Mike_D - 2011-03-30 6:59 AM

I'm in!   Particularly since the forecast for Friday is SNOW -- yes, SNOW. On April 1st. WTH??

Itzia -- falling over while clipped in seems to be a right of passage when you start riding. I did it twice last weekend, once while trying to get off the bike and cross the street. Only about 10 cars saw me do it.

Foot is still OK today. A bit tender, but nothing different than its been the past few days. First step or two in the AM was the worst, but now its good.

Curt -- the side swim drill from the video is great. I tried it this AM, and it really does emphasize body position/rotation. I used fins when I did it so I didn't sink. I did find myself looking sideways the first time I did it, which is a no no. Give it a shot.

Josh -- you running the Cohasset 10k this weekend? I'm supposed to, but I seriously doubt I'll try, and end up a DNS. Going from injured & no running to a 10k in 5 days seems like a dumb idea.

Congrats on the running.  Even if you only get to do it for 2 days before the next snow storm. 

I typically like winter.  One of the reason I moved back to the NE is because of the seasons, but this is getting a bit ridiculous.  It's going to be more of a mix for us, but a couple of degrees colder, and we would be looking at a foot of snow.

I am not doing the Cohasset 10k.  I did it a couple of years ago.  I think it's still my PR for a 10k, even with that big hill.  This weekend is my son's birthday, so we are doing a bunch of parties - family, neighborhood, school friends.  Too much partying for a 6 year old. 
2011-03-30 10:28 AM
in reply to: #3420968

User image

Veteran
Cuernavaca, Mexico
Mike_D - 2011-03-30 5:59 AM

I completely agree Mike!  Falling over while clipped when you are starting is a good reason/excuse to fall.  The problem is that I wasn’t clipped!!!!  LOL  I’ll use my pedals, cleats and shoes when I get my bike.  I was told it will take another two weeks. 

Have a lovely day everyone!   Laughing

2011-03-30 10:35 AM
in reply to: #3421144

User image

Athens, GA
Itzia and Jackie - you can keep your heat I am a cold weather girl. I cannot imagine training in Las Vegas, or Cuernavaca! I have been here in GA for 7 years and 4 years in CLT before that. I CANNOT stand the heat. I feel like I am dying all the time in the summer. I workout a lot inside in the summer, so I will not die of heatstroke. I do have am amazing gym to work out in , but still. I know you guys up home are done with the snow, and yet it keeps coming. Tuckermans should be good this year, so there is that. And just to prove I am not a total southern wuss, when I go up to Maine in late May for a wedding, I plan on doing a few ocean swims, just to remind me of younger times. 
2011-03-30 2:11 PM
in reply to: #3421436

User image

Master
Just South of Boston

Ail - 2011-03-30 10:35 AM Itzia and Jackie - you can keep your heat I am a cold weather girl. I cannot imagine training in Las Vegas, or Cuernavaca! I have been here in GA for 7 years and 4 years in CLT before that. I CANNOT stand the heat. I feel like I am dying all the time in the summer. I workout a lot inside in the summer, so I will not die of heatstroke. I do have am amazing gym to work out in , but still. I know you guys up home are done with the snow, and yet it keeps coming. Tuckermans should be good this year, so there is that. And just to prove I am not a total southern wuss, when I go up to Maine in late May for a wedding, I plan on doing a few ocean swims, just to remind me of younger times. 

Is your wetsuit a 4" thick heated one by any chance? That will be d*mn cold!

2011-03-30 3:56 PM

User image

Veteran
Cuernavaca, Mexico

OMG!!  97 and getting warmer…  I’ll be riding in an hour.  Who said exercising in the heat was comfortable?  Not me.  :-S  I think we’d better accept what we have for weather.  We can’t change it anyway!!     Tongue out

The good thing about riding uphill is that it will be getting cooler as I reach the forest areas.  I hope…

I couldn't swim in those temps Ails!!  Surprised

2011-03-30 7:11 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Naperville, IL

Our group reads like the 3 little bears -- this one's too hot, this one's too cold.

Think I'm going to take the day off and relax.  Will be back at it tomorrow.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » BB's Really Beginner Mentor Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 38