BT Development Mentor Program Archives » BB's Really Beginner Mentor Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 38

2011-03-30 11:00 PM
in reply to: #3422483

User image

Veteran
Cuernavaca, Mexico
Subject: RE: BB's Really Beginner Mentor Group - CLOSED
croixfan - 2011-03-30 7:11 PM

Our group reads like the 3 little bears -- this one's too hot, this one's too cold.

Think I'm going to take the day off and relax.  Will be back at it tomorrow.

LOL  Yeeeees!  we are like the story of the 3 bears!  Laughing

This little bear was at 100 F  when she set out to ride this afternoon.  She managed to get to the goal set of 10K in that difficult very hot uphill ride, and was told she was improving even though she's been away for 3 weeks.  She also went for a little swim of 650m which at 95F was delicious.  Wink

Got to work, but I'm hoping not to go to sleep too late.

Have a good night everybody!  Cool

Edited by itziaol 2011-03-31 7:18 AM

2011-03-31 9:11 AM
in reply to: #3421953

User image

Athens, GA
Mike_D - 2011-03-30 3:11 PM

when I go up to Maine in late May for a wedding, I plan on doing a few ocean swims, just to remind me of younger times. 

Is your wetsuit a 4" thick heated one by any chance? That will be d*mn cold!

But that is the best way. Ocean swims/plunges are a way of life with my family. My Mom did the sailing Outward Bound up in Maine for her 50th b-day present. Can't let her have a one up on me. Besides, the whole family will be there, we will all be in the water acting like fools! 

2011-03-31 2:01 PM
in reply to: #3423159

User image

Veteran
Cuernavaca, Mexico
Ail - 2011-03-31 9:11 AM
Mike_D - 2011-03-30 3:11 PM

when I go up to Maine in late May for a wedding, I plan on doing a few ocean swims, just to remind me of younger times. 

Is your wetsuit a 4" thick heated one by any chance? That will be d*mn cold!

But that is the best way. Ocean swims/plunges are a way of life with my family. My Mom did the sailing Outward Bound up in Maine for her 50th b-day present. Can't let her have a one up on me. Besides, the whole family will be there, we will all be in the water acting like fools! 

What a great family tradition!!  Smile

2011-03-31 6:35 PM
in reply to: #3256072

User image

Veteran
Kennebunkport, Qatar
Ails, water temp is already upto the low 40's, warming up nicely! forecst for 5 -15" of snow! so much for spring?
2011-03-31 7:16 PM
in reply to: #3423159

User image

Master
Just South of Boston

Ail - 2011-03-31 9:11 AM

That is soooo cool! Good for your mom!

Snow is now covering the grass out front. I may just go to bed, get up early tomorrow, swim, and forget I saw it.

Took today off....late night out w/ the boys last night. Not a good morning

MD

Edited by Mike_D 2011-03-31 7:17 PM
2011-04-01 1:39 PM

User image

Expert
Las Vegas, NV
Was looking at my year totals so far. Holy cow I've upped my riding! I've riden 526 miles so far this year. My 2010 total was 564. So I've almost riden as much in 3 months as I did in 12 last year. Crazy. Also 17 hours & 25 minutes on the elliptical. On the other hand, my swim & run toatls are looking pretty pathetic. Can't have it all I guess.

2011-04-01 2:20 PM

User image

Veteran
Cuernavaca, Mexico

Well done Jackie!  Where could you travel to if you cycled that amount of miles?  That would be interesting to know.

It’s a happy day today! I had planned to go jogging and then for a swim tonight.  But this morning I got word that the project I’ve been working on for the past 2 years has successfully been through the process of authorization, I’m just waiting for an official letter.  This is going to look good on my resume.  I’ll start job hunting now!  Smile   So it’s celebration with the girls tonight.  I hope to squeeze in a run before that and I’ll move the swim for tomorrow.

And to make it even better, I need to do a new perforation on my belts or buy new ones because my waist is shrinking.  LOL 

Have a great evening everyone!  Laughing

Edited by itziaol 2011-04-01 2:29 PM
2011-04-02 6:15 AM
in reply to: #3425713

User image

Master
Just South of Boston
itziaol - 2011-04-01 2:20 PM

Well done Jackie!  Where could you travel to if you cycled that amount of miles?  That would be interesting to know.

It’s a happy day today! I had planned to go jogging and then for a swim tonight.  But this morning I got word that the project I’ve been working on for the past 2 years has successfully been through the process of authorization, I’m just waiting for an official letter.  This is going to look good on my resume.  I’ll start job hunting now!  Smile   So it’s celebration with the girls tonight.  I hope to squeeze in a run before that and I’ll move the swim for tomorrow.

And to make it even better, I need to do a new perforation on my belts or buy new ones because my waist is shrinking.  LOL 

Hope the celebration was a good one!

I've been a total slacker the past couple days. today, however will be a big day if my plan goes OK. some errands this AM, but an hour on the trainer later this AM, a run, and then after lunch, a good swim. the snow cancelled all the kids outside stuff so the day is wide open.

I'm picking up my number today for tomorrow's 10k road race. There is very little chance of me even making the starting line, but I paid for it, so I'm getting my t-shirt & goody bag. I did stop by the local runnign shop yesterday, and ended up with some new insoles. Feet feel great with them. Stay tuned...

MD

2011-04-02 6:19 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Naperville, IL
Mike -- Any chance you could walk the 10K with your kids?
2011-04-02 10:13 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Naperville, IL

Headed to the Y for an early AM swim.  Goal was to put in about 1000 yards nice and easy focusing on the form.  Things went great.  Took the advice I got earlier in the week from Josh off the video to focus on "maintaining momentum" and keeping arm extended and down.  Result was a nice easy stroke that was a lot faster than normal.  Other thing I did is really focus on getting on my side / off my stomach.  Did 6 x 100 and 2 x 200.  Slowest split was 2:40 and fastest was 2:16.  Total time -- with rests -- was 31:21.  That's some real progress.

Thanks Josh!

2011-04-02 10:34 AM
in reply to: #3426462

User image

Master
Hingham, Ma
croixfan - 2011-04-02 11:13 AM

Headed to the Y for an early AM swim.  Goal was to put in about 1000 yards nice and easy focusing on the form.  Things went great.  Took the advice I got earlier in the week from Josh off the video to focus on "maintaining momentum" and keeping arm extended and down.  Result was a nice easy stroke that was a lot faster than normal.  Other thing I did is really focus on getting on my side / off my stomach.  Did 6 x 100 and 2 x 200.  Slowest split was 2:40 and fastest was 2:16.  Total time -- with rests -- was 31:21.  That's some real progress.

Thanks Josh!

That's great.  This is going to sound crazy, but the slower, more deliberate my strokes are, the faster I go.  I can go all out for 100, then do 100 nice a smooth and easy, and the difference is only a couple of seconds.  Before you know it, you will be under 2:00/100yds. 

2011-04-02 11:35 AM
in reply to: #3426285

User image

Veteran
Cuernavaca, Mexico
Mike_D - 2011-04-02 6:15 AM
itziaol - 2011-04-01 2:20 PM

Hope the celebration was a good one!

I've been a total slacker the past couple days. today, however will be a big day if my plan goes OK. some errands this AM, but an hour on the trainer later this AM, a run, and then after lunch, a good swim. the snow cancelled all the kids outside stuff so the day is wide open.

I'm picking up my number today for tomorrow's 10k road race. There is very little chance of me even making the starting line, but I paid for it, so I'm getting my t-shirt & goody bag. I did stop by the local runnign shop yesterday, and ended up with some new insoles. Feet feel great with them. Stay tuned...

MD

Thanks Mike!  My celebration went a little too well... LOL  I don't drink much but I had lots to eat, cake and all.  I put on a whole pound!  :-S Went to sleep at 3am so I'm tired.

I was in the middle of writing this message when the thought of you doing your bit in the cold, or not being able to do it because of snow struck me.  So... I'm off for a "run" before it gets unbearably hot and then I'll swim.  Here's to you guys!

Cool

Edited by itziaol 2011-04-02 10:44 PM
2011-04-02 6:00 PM

User image

Veteran
Cuernavaca, Mexico

Mike -  Yes, why don’t you walk it with your children?  I’m sure you’ll enjoy it.

Curt – You are doing so well in the pool!

Josh – Thanks for the video.  I must say I don’t understand everything.  But I’m already familiar with some of the drills and I’ll watch it a few more times so that I get it.

Ran/walked 4Km.  I’ve completely lost what little I had of my running.  On top of that, it is so much more difficult to run in the morning than in the evening.  You sweat like a pig, your head pounds and extremities become swollen.  But the Sprint I plan to do will take place in Veracruz, and the temperatures there are a little hotter than in Cuernavaca.  The greatest difference is humidity though.  E.g. Today there’s 20% here and 74% inVeracruz.  So I should get used to uncomfortably hot weather if I want to be OK in my first tri.  I need to get a better sun block too.

Decided to rest a little before I went swimming and ended up knocked out for two hours!!!  The club closed… oh well, I’ll be in better shape tomorrow.

I hope you are all enjoying your weekend!  Laughing

2011-04-03 8:04 AM

User image

Master
Just South of Boston

Would love to walk it, but the timing of the race isn't helping. My oldest daughter has a lacrosse game @ 1 PM which is race start time. My youngest wouldn't make the 6.2 mile walk, so I'm not going to push it on her.

I tried running a bit yesterday, and my foot hurt so much I stopped after maybe 1 minute, and decided I may just give up on running for another month, and rest the foot. It kills me to do this, but at this point, I'm thinking if I don't rest it as much as possible, I'm going to lose the whole year. I'll continue on w/ the bike & swim as much as I can, but running is all done for me until May 1 or so.

Hoping to go on a real bike ride (not on the trainer!)  this afternoon which would be great, and get my mind off the 2nd DNS of the season.

2011-04-03 2:37 PM

User image

Veteran
Cuernavaca, Mexico

Sorry to hear about your foot Mike!  But you are making the right decision, your health comes first.  Here’s to your getting better soon! 

I rode my mountain bike for23.4 Km(14.54 ml) and then went for a quick 600m swim.  It took me 1:00 to 1:10mins to do50 m, then I rested for 30 to 20 seconds and went on.  I’m not fit enough to do 100’s yet.  The coach on weekends is very strict on form.  He corrected me on 3 points:

- Head should just turn when breathing, I’m not to look at the back.

- Fingertips on the surface of the pool are OK but I should only touch with index and thumb, not the others.  That should make my stroke longer.

-  I should take my arm into the water with the arm almost straight, making stroke longer also.

Thinking of so many things at the same time is rather complicated, but I’ll get there!

I hope you enjoy the rest of your Sunday!  Laughing

2011-04-03 4:31 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Naperville, IL

WOO HOO!!  Swam today and took a shot at beating my PR for 1000 yards (was 29:43).  Came in at 28:00 for 1000 yards after a 300 yard warm up.  Splits were 2:42, 2:51, 2:52, 2:50, 2:52, 2:57, 2:47, 2:46, 2:42, 2:33.  Had a lot left in the tank at the end and am confident that I can drop another 2-3 minutes off easy.  Looking to get to 2:00 / 100 yards.  Long way to go, but considering I was in the mid-30's in December, I'll take it!

Yesterday went to the bike shop and picked up a hybrid for my wife as she wants to start doing some riding.  She got a Specizlized Sirrus Elite.  VERY nice bike / smooth and comfortable.  Since she wants company on the trails I bought a 2010 left over Specialized Rockhopper mountain bike.  Really wanted to get one like hers, but am afraid that once I start on the trails I'll want something more aggressive.  It's a nice bike, but not like my road bike!  Is a bit more comfortable over the bumps and very quick to acclerate.  But does not have the speed that I've gotten hooked on.

May head out in a while for a short ride.  Likely will pull the road bike off the trainer this week and start putting time on the road over the next week.

2011-04-03 10:54 PM

User image

Expert
Las Vegas, NV

Did a 48 miles ride at Red Rock Saturday. Did a 38 mile ride on the River Mountain Trail loop today. Had a fellower BTer join me for both rides. Very cool girl. We are both doing Iron Girl April 30th.

Sorry about the foot Mike. It must be very frustrating. But you are doing the right thing resting it.

2011-04-04 7:42 AM

User image

Master
Just South of Boston

Curt -- awesome progress on the swim. Huge leaps in such a short time.

Jackie -- brutally jealous, and congrats on some awesome rides. And finding a BT'er to ride with - great!

I'm going to lay of running entirely for the next month, and get going on the run/walk in May assuming I'm feeling OK. I just signed up -- optimistically -- for a 5k on June 2, and hope I'm ready for it

Went for a swim today, and it felt great. I've not done much in terms of distance swimming in a while, and I pushed a bit today, which I needed. did 1400 yards total, and am starting to build some endurance again. Since I've stopped running, I really feel like my swim endurance has suffered, and I need to build that back up.

Still riding on the trainer, but weather allowing, I'm going to get some real road miles in this weekend.

One other question -- what are folks using for timing/training watches/devices? I'm thinking about pulling the trigger on a Garmin 305 (on sale via Amazon) or something like that. Had also looked at a Cateye wireless for the bike, but that would be redundant if I had the Garmin, no? Any thoughts on this would be appreciated!!

Mike

2011-04-04 9:25 AM
in reply to: #3428296

User image

Master
Hingham, Ma
Mike_D - 2011-04-04 8:42 AM

Curt -- awesome progress on the swim. Huge leaps in such a short time.

Jackie -- brutally jealous, and congrats on some awesome rides. And finding a BT'er to ride with - great!

I'm going to lay of running entirely for the next month, and get going on the run/walk in May assuming I'm feeling OK. I just signed up -- optimistically -- for a 5k on June 2, and hope I'm ready for it

Went for a swim today, and it felt great. I've not done much in terms of distance swimming in a while, and I pushed a bit today, which I needed. did 1400 yards total, and am starting to build some endurance again. Since I've stopped running, I really feel like my swim endurance has suffered, and I need to build that back up.

Still riding on the trainer, but weather allowing, I'm going to get some real road miles in this weekend.

One other question -- what are folks using for timing/training watches/devices? I'm thinking about pulling the trigger on a Garmin 305 (on sale via Amazon) or something like that. Had also looked at a Cateye wireless for the bike, but that would be redundant if I had the Garmin, no? Any thoughts on this would be appreciated!!

Mike

I have the 305 and love it.  I have heard good things about the 310xt as well.  Works in water.  I also have the Cateye.  I can buy the wireless cadence for the Garmin, but I like having both.  Especially for long rides/ run bricks, you will have to worry about battery life. 
2011-04-04 9:34 AM
in reply to: #3428144

User image

Extreme Veteran
Naperville, IL
jpbis26 - 2011-04-03 10:54 PM

Did a 48 miles ride at Red Rock Saturday. Did a 38 mile ride on the River Mountain Trail loop today. Had a fellower BTer join me for both rides. Very cool girl. We are both doing Iron Girl April 30th.

Sorry about the foot Mike. It must be very frustrating. But you are doing the right thing resting it.

Jackie -- I'm thinking about doing some longer rides and was wondering what you do about shedding layers of clothing / how do you store them?  Only have a very small bag on my seat / need someplace to stash a jacket.  Ideas?  Thanks!

2011-04-04 9:41 AM

User image

Veteran
Cuernavaca, Mexico

Curt -  Congrats on the bikes!  I'm telling you, your entire familly with end up hooked on tris.  LOL

Jackie - You are my hero!!!!

Mike - I got the 305 from Amazon, but I'm afraid I'm just starting to understand how it works.  It will take me some time to do it.  LOL

Where is mountain Dan?

Josh - One of my questions is whether it is possbile to use the 305 in water.  I seem to remember reading in the instructions that you can, but then I've heard that it has water issues.  What has been your experience?  The guys in the tri team told me the 305 is for runners, and there is another Garmin for triathletes.  What do you think?

I wish you all a wonderful week!  Laughing

2011-04-04 9:43 AM
in reply to: #3428554

User image

Master
Hingham, Ma
itziaol - 2011-04-04 10:41 AM

Curt -  Congrats on the bikes!  I'm telling you, your entire familly with end up hooked on tris.  LOL

Mike - I got the 305 from Amazon, but I'm afraid I'm just starting to understand how it works.  It will take me some time to do it.  LOL

Where is mountain Dan?

Josh - One of my questions is whether it is possbile to use the 305 in water.  I seem to remember reading in the instructions that you can, but then I've heard that it has water issues.  What has been your experience?  The guys in the tri team told me the 305 is for runners, and there is another Garmin for triathletes.  What do you think?

I haven't used it in water.  I have heard some people who have.  I think it's more water resistant than water proof.  I do know many people who put it in a ziploc baggie and but it under their swim cap.  I haven't tried that either. 
2011-04-04 8:10 PM
in reply to: #3428563

User image

Veteran
Cuernavaca, Mexico
Boston Beginner - 2011-04-04 9:43 AM
itziaol - 2011-04-04 10:41 AM

Where is mountain Dan?

I haven't used it in water.  I have heard some people who have.  I think it's more water resistant than water proof.  I do know many people who put it in a ziploc baggie and but it under their swim cap.  I haven't tried that either. 

Really?  I wouldn’t want to put it in water if it’s not meant for that.  I’d better not.  Thanks Josh!

2011-04-04 8:38 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Naperville, IL
Pulled the bike off the trainer, put the regular tire back on, and she's in the garage waiting.  Took today off / could not drag my backside out of bed for the Masters swim.  Also giving the shins a rest -- a bit too much pain over the past week.
2011-04-05 7:09 AM
in reply to: #3429795

User image

Master
Just South of Boston

croixfan - 2011-04-04 8:38 PM Pulled the bike off the trainer, put the regular tire back on, and she's in the garage waiting.  Took today off / could not drag my backside out of bed for the Masters swim.  Also giving the shins a rest -- a bit too much pain over the past week.

Sorry to hear about the shins. That hurts! Did this just start or has it been on & off? 
Did you take the day off to ride? If so, you are my hero today

I'm feeling like my biking is making some progress. Did an hour of intervals on the trainer this AM, and felt like it was a good, hard effort, but didn't kill me. Maybe next time I'll do a longer 'ride'. Can't wait to get on the road.

If anyone is interested, the Garmin 305 is under $130 on Amazon. There is a new 310 model coming out next week, so I'm going to see if the current one has the price cut at all.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » BB's Really Beginner Mentor Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 38