BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Briderdt and Lkct's Mentor Group - CLOSED for training! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 16

2011-03-30 10:09 AM
in reply to: #3256444

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: Briderdt and Lkct's Mentor Group - CLOSED for training!

I'll throw out a question for everyone. 

I'm probably going to do the 100k bike ride next weekend.  Of course, it's not part of my training plan so it'll just work it's way into the rest of my scheduled sbr training.  What kind of a ride do I do this weekend?  My longest to date was two weekends ago @ 50 miles and I finished strong so completing 100k is not in doubt.

I'm thinking of going out for about 40ish miles.  Thoughts?

2011-03-30 9:32 PM
in reply to: #3421372

User image

Champion
Tacoma, Washington
mashmead - 2011-03-30 8:09 AM

I'll throw out a question for everyone. 

I'm probably going to do the 100k bike ride next weekend.  Of course, it's not part of my training plan so it'll just work it's way into the rest of my scheduled sbr training.  What kind of a ride do I do this weekend?  My longest to date was two weekends ago @ 50 miles and I finished strong so completing 100k is not in doubt.

I'm thinking of going out for about 40ish miles.  Thoughts?

My thoughts: Medium long at the pace you want to hold for the 100K, with some pickups near the end.

2011-03-31 7:02 AM
in reply to: #3422673

User image

Veteran

Thanks, David.  Registered for the ride last night. 

(edited b/c i somehow screwed up the quote function)

Edited by mashmead 2011-03-31 7:04 AM
2011-03-31 1:53 PM

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
I had a great 15k. I stuck to my 9:00 pace for probably the first 7 miles, then picked it up at the end and finished with around an 8:48 pace for the entire race. First time I’ve finished any race below a 9-minute mile in years. Hopefully, I’ll be able to bring the same pace to my half-marathon in May. I would love to break my previous PR of 1:57. I’ll need to run under a 9:00 to do it.
What wasn’t so great was what happened with my training partner before the race. Reminded me why I usually train and race alone, although it has been great having someone to train with through the winter. Here’s what happened:

Friday: I go to pick up our timing chips & shirts and find that he forgot to register. So I pay $40 (cash only) to register him.

Saturday, he calls me and says that he’s been sick all week and isn’t sure he’ll race. I tell him to let me know in the morning what he’s doing, since I’ll have to take the subway in instead of getting a ride with him. I have always taken the train to races in Central Park, but he prefers to drive.

Sunday, I text him when I get up around 7:00, asking what he’s doing. I’m an early bird and I like to be at the race site at least an hour before the start. He finally writes back at 8:00 or so (I need to leave at 9:00) to say he’s not sure and he’ll let me know. I say, “Ok. Let me know by 9.” He calls at 9:20 to say he’s too sick and he’s not racing. I say sorry and run out the door.

I’m literally half a block from the subway station and he calls my cell to say he’s going to HTFU and run. “I’ll pick you up at 10:15”, he says. (Race starts at 11:15). I say, I don’t think that’s enough time. How about 9:45? He moans about how he still has to eat something and so on and we finally agree on 10am. (At that point, the voice in my head is telling me to just say I’ll meet him at the race, but I ignore the voice. Never ignore the voice.). He finally picks me up at 10:10 (T-minus 70 minutes to race start) and his 3-year old daughter is in the car. “I just have to drop her at a birthday party,” he says. Finally, at 10:15 or so, we’re finally on our way to Manhattan (t-minus 60 minutes). Aaaaaand it’s Greek Independence Parade day. So half the side streets are closed and there’s even less parking than there usually is on race day. I suggest a parking lot, he doesn’t have his wallet and neither do I.

Finally, after circling for 25 minutes, and only 5 minutes before the start, he tells me to get out and he’ll park by himself. I don’t argue, since I’m fuming at this point. By the time I stash my bag, and run to the start line, the race has already started and I jump into the already-moving horde of runners. At that point I realize that I’ve forgotten my chapstick, gum, gu, and forgotten to program my Garmin—all the stuff I like to do in the minutes before the race.

Miraculously the race goes well. I finish, get dressed and wait for 20 minutes for him by baggage. He finally shows up….with a group of people with him. Surprise! His friends have surprised him at the finish line and are taking him out to brunch to celebrate, and therefore, he’s not driving back to Brooklyn, so I end up taking the train home. Luckily, I had my subway pass—I almost didn’t bring it with me, since I didn’t think I’d need it.
2011-03-31 2:31 PM

User image

Jackson, MS

Wow that sucks!!!!!!!!  I would have been so angry.  ?What a miracle to still have such a good race, too.  Good for you!

2011-03-31 3:05 PM
in reply to: #3423794

User image

Veteran

jmk-brooklyn - 2011-03-31 1:53 PM

Finally, after circling for 25 minutes, and only 5 minutes before the start, he tells me to get out and he’ll park by himself. I don’t argue, since I’m fuming at this point.

That sucks.  Then again, maybe that fuming prior to the race sparked something in you.  Maybe you should ask him for a lift to the half marathon? 

?

2011-03-31 3:23 PM
in reply to: #3423794

User image

Champion
Tacoma, Washington
Wow! That could have gone sideways so many times along that whole process... Glad it worked out. And great negative splits!
2011-04-11 6:34 AM

I've been reading your posts for the last couple of months and found them to be motivating. Thanks for being "out there" folks.

Like I said before, I'm participating in my first tri in 26 years.  Training has been rewarding and the anticipation of the race has been giving my stomach butterflies for weeks. The sprint distances are somewhat embarrassing.  When I mention to people I'm doing a triathlon, they seem really impressed.  A 2 mile run, 12 mile bike, and 1600 meter swim isn't climbing Mt. Everest.

My last triathlon was in 1985 when Lance Armstrong won the event as a teenager. Who knows what up and coming triathlete will be among the participants this time.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Briderdt and Lkct's Mentor Group - CLOSED for training! Rss Feed  

of 16