BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Got Your Mojo WORKIN'! group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply
CLOSED

of 172

2011-12-17 7:57 PM
in reply to: #3940069

User image

Champion
Subject: RE: Got Your Mojo WORKIN'! group - CLOSED

JEFF -

Oh, man, what I wouldn't give for a little 75F stuff up here! (Heck, I'd be happy with the 50ish days, too....)

Again, I am finding that starting the run off-season to early puts me in a position where I haven't allowed myslef to acclimate to the descending cold. Ergo ipso, when I DO start running again, it will be a rude awakening. I know in my heart of hearts that begininning the run off-season when I did makes sense from an injury-avoidance perspective, but still -- returning full-time in a week or two or three ain't gonna be nice.

I very rarely take such an extensive break from running as I'm doing now, so despite what I suggested above, I don't have a big history of lots of time off in Nov and Dec; usually it's just 2-3 weeks, probably. We'll be in northern CA for about two weeks in late January, and it almost might make sense to just wait until I return in around Jan 29 to pick it up again. But, I think i will aim for a couple of days of running while there, if Lynn can handle me doing this without feeling abandoned. I think I can pull it of.....maybe??

2011-12-17 8:42 PM
in reply to: #3256772

User image

Elite
Cheesehead, WI

Thanks Steve - but patience is something I constantly tell my son to practice and I think his lack of it may have something to do with watching me LOL

Sorry to hear your hips is bothering you. Hope the shot helps. 

Alex AND Steve - YOU both had/have knee troubles. My husband had a cadaver's meniscus put into one knee about 6 years ago but it is now having to have it 'scoped on the 27th. He's the type of person to view having these sorts of issues as meaning no more physical activity that is 'rough' on the joints. I know a guy who is an avid skier who had his knee fixed up and then still was able to continue to ski. I know if I were faced with knee/hip/ankle issues that I'd exhaust every avenue to find a way to be active. Alex - interesting about the gel shots, my husband was looking into alternative answers for his knee but because of his past surgery and some arthritis and his age, they advised him not to go that route. I think actually they look at it in terms of risk so who knows.

2011-12-18 3:26 PM
in reply to: #3942520

User image

Champion

SARAH -

Proof again that apples don't fall far from the tree?

As for your spousal unit, tell him not to despair. Here's my story:

Sometime around March '06, I tore my right meniscus. It took a few months to get a MRI on it, and when that was read it showed the tear to be "longitudinal", meaning that it ran kind of from end to end of the meniscus, with nothing hanging out. That meant that 'scoping couldn't happen, and to try to "fix" it would involve removing a thin length of it -- basically, one of those end-to-end segments. It was explained to me clearly that while that would likely work in the short term, it would ineviatbly lead to early-onset arthritic problems in the knee -- a bad trade-off. Conversely, there was the risk that it wouldn't heal on its own, and that I would always have problems.

I did that season as aquabikes, with ZERO running at all except briefly from the water to the bike -- nothing AT ALL in training. On my fianl aqbk the swim-bike run was a couple hundred yards, and I did that to no ill effect. My last run (30 min.)was on March 24 (note in log: "knee very sore after; BAD!"), aside from a mere eight-minute trial on April 22 ("BAD FOR KNEE!!!"), and I didn't start running again until late September. There was a 16' one on the 26th, 23' on the 28th, and then with a few days between runs, i was back in business.

Since that episode, I have trained and raced heavily, and the kneee has been fine. I worry whenever anything within about 5 inches of the spot feels sore-ish, but the bottom line is that I have continued to pound that knee, which was never professionally fixed, and it's held up perfectly well. Of course, every body and every body's knees are different, but I would say that he should be optimistic that whatever is done to his knee has a decent chance of restoring him to pretty much full activity. Here's hoping!!

2011-12-18 3:29 PM
in reply to: #3943061

User image

Champion

SARAH again -

In the interests of Full Disclosure, I have to add that in July '06 I did 3 or 4 water runs. These were in a large enclosed bay of a river, so i had lots of room to mosey about. I used one of those run-specific belts for water running, and of course there was absolutely no impact. So, that had no effect on recovery, or at least certainly didn't set me back at all. Just so you know!

2011-12-18 3:32 PM
in reply to: #3943063

User image

Champion

SARAH once more -

Sorry about The Pack today. Of course, they would've eventually had the streak stopped by the Pats in the Super Bowl , but I know that does little to take the sting out of today. .

2011-12-18 3:48 PM
in reply to: #3933795

User image

Champion

GANG!!!!!

I have submitted a new profile to BT for a new mentor group in a week or two -- whenever they start up and I "go live". As I mentioned a couple months ago, at that time I will effectively shut down this group (and the other currently-active one).

HOWEVER, I truly hope that many of you will continue with the new group, which I would like to see be about 1/3 this group, 1/3 the other group, 1/3 new folks. And when I say "many", that doesn't mean I am being at all selective -- I would love to have EVERYONE from this group as part of the new group!! But I also know that some of this group will want entirely "new blood", while others will just decide to take time off from any group at all; that's the nature of this mentorgroups beast.

I am doing this simply because running two groups has not worked for me -- I end up not rmembering what I have posted, where, and such things as race reports were largely bypassed because I couldn't see doing two of them. I have spent many months feeling badly about this with you all in particluar, as you were the first "commitment".....and I spread myself too thin by starting up the other group in March. I enjoyed them, to be sure, but there was a cost -- not really doing right by this group.

Having one active group is the only way my slightly addled mind will function decently, and I'm looking forward to restoring that semblance of balance in how I "mentor". I hope as many of you as see fit will join the new group, which I think I submitted as MightyMojoMentor group (keeping the "mojo" part out of love for this group ). At any rate, i will post here as soon as it goes live, which will probably be a few days after xmas.

In the meantime, though, I will continue checking here, to be sure!!!

2011-12-18 9:06 PM

User image

Expert
San Jose

Steve,

Thanks for reading my blog I really appreciate your input. It's been fun to start and I think it will be a good place for me to look back on this upcoming year.

I'm looking forward to the new group starting up. It's always nice to 'meet' new people.

To all,

I'm in the middle of my marathon training. I ran 18 miles today! That is just such a long way. It pooped me out. I was lucky enough to have my niece in town and she ran 10 miles with me to that was really fun. It made the time go by quickly. 

My Dad had to be hospitalized last night. He's had an intermittent fever for a week and one of his blood tests came back showing an infection in his bloodstream so he went in to get IV antibiotics and fluids. He's 83 so it's easy to get rundown quickly. He looks much better today and is hoping to be discharged tomorrow.

More Christmas shopping for me this week and hopefully I'll be all wrapped by next weekend

Johanne

2011-12-18 9:54 PM
in reply to: #3943067

User image

Elite
Cheesehead, WI

stevebradley - 2011-12-18 3:32 PM SARAH once more - Sorry about The Pack today. Of course, they would've eventually had the streak stopped by the Pats in the Super Bowl , but I know that does little to take the sting out of today. .

Oh boy!Sad day in deed! Actually, I'm a transplant from the CT/MA zone so I was first a Pat's fan but now a bonafide Pack fan. At least it wasn't a home game but certainly they looked sloppy and now have some injured players. And this will likely serve them well as they head into the play offs so they will kick some Patriot booty! LOL

I'll pass along your story of knees... Oh sounds so funny a bunch of folks chatting about injured knees like old people talking about loosing their hearing and teeth. LOL

2011-12-19 7:55 AM
in reply to: #3943369

User image

Champion

SARAH -

"....like old people talking about losing their hearing and teeth."

Yes, that would be me, too.

2011-12-19 8:15 AM
in reply to: #3943333

User image

Champion

JOHANNE -

Yes, 18 miles is indeed a long way -- enough so that many people say that doing 18 miles is good enough for a maximum pre-marathon run. So, in their minds, you're ready for yours right now! Woo-hoo!

But, maybe not woo-hoo right yet, or at least not in terms of you being ready for the full 26.2. Of course, it is definitely a "Woo-hoo!" for overall prep (and for sheer accomplishment), but I can guarantee you will feel even better about it all when you've hit 20, or 21, or even 22 miles. Those really are the distances you can have behind you before the race that will make the final miles of it seem quite attainable -- even if mind and body are at war with each other AND with you! Past those distances, adrenaline can wield some great benefits, so in just a few more long runs --- you'll be there. Then you can really bellow "WOO-HOO!!!!"

Good that niece did 10 with you (she's in fine form herself if she can just kind of step in and knock off 10 miles!), and of course on race day you will have all that fine company to keep you amused and buoyed and mutually-inspired. Marathons are very cool that way, with seemingly every form of humanoid out there with you. You can keep yourself entertained just by paying attention to other runners' forms, clothing, breathing patterns.....and before long you're at mile 20. Voila!

All that aside, I'm sorry about your father. Although many things aren't "simple" at that age, it sounds as if his problem the past week was pretty quickly treated......and hopefully he'll be home today!

2011-12-19 9:52 AM

User image

Expert
San Jose

Steve,

My plan only has me going to 20 miles. It's the same one I used last time, Hal Higdon's. I like the way he has it laid out. Next week, the long run is 13, then 20, then 12, then 20 then taper! I think if I feel I can I'll add a couple miles to one of the 20's but other than that, I'm sticking to it. My niece is a runner and has been training for a marathon but had a 'bad' run last week so she wanted to keep it shorter this week. She hasn't decided on a race and she is seriously considering flying down for Surf City which would be really fun for me

When do you and Lynn head out to California? You're going north I think I remember. It's beautiful up there. Hope the weather is good. We've had a dry winter so far.

Johanne

2011-12-19 7:05 PM
in reply to: #3943871

User image

Champion

JOHANNE -

I see you found me at the new "address"! That happened much sooner than I thought; I was sure it would after xmas.

I'm glad you're going to at least 20. Many people "hit the wall" (on race day) at about 18, so going over it will give you lots of confidence. And if all you felt yesterdat was "pooped", that's really good -- far better that than The Wall!

As for TW, wise pacing and nutrition will help avoid it, and from what I know of you and your "habits", I don't think it will be an issue for you. But, anyhow, going 20 or even over will be good for ya!

As for our trip, we're flying there on the 14th, and back on the 29th. We will spend a few days around Santa Cruz, then down to Salinas area (Pinnacles!!!!), then over to Yosemite (maybe), up to Sacramento, and then onwards to Mendocino and north of it. Anything we should/must do around SJ/SF? We tend to avoid the standard toursit stuff, but beyond that we're quite inquisitive -- Lynn especially. We've got several ideas, but are looking to firm things up until after the holidays end.

2011-12-19 7:07 PM
in reply to: #3944903

User image

Champion

GANG!!!

The new group (MightyMojo) has gone live, earlier than I planned on. If you're interested, just do what Johanne did -- check in now and post a bio before too l0ng (so others know all about you!)

2011-12-19 8:26 PM
in reply to: #3943074

User image

Veteran
Spokane
stevebradley - 2011-12-18 1:48 PMGANG!!!!!I have submitted a new profile to BT for a new mentor group in a week or two -- whenever they start up and I "go live". As I mentioned a couple months ago, at that time I will effectively shut down this group (and the other currently-active one). HOWEVER, I truly hope that many of you will continue with the new group, which I would like to see be about 1/3 this group, 1/3 the other group, 1/3 new folks. And when I say "many", that doesn't mean I am being at all selective -- I would love to have EVERYONE from this group as part of the new group!! But I also know that some of this group will want entirely "new blood", while others will just decide to take time off from any group at all; that's the nature of this mentorgroups beast. I am doing this simply because running two groups has not worked for me -- I end up not rmembering what I have posted, where, and such things as race reports were largely bypassed because I couldn't see doing two of them. I have spent many months feeling badly about this with you all in particluar, as you were the first "commitment".....and I spread myself too thin by starting up the other group in March. I enjoyed them, to be sure, but there was a cost -- not really doing right by this group.Having one active group is the only way my slightly addled mind will function decently, and I'm looking forward to restoring that semblance of balance in how I "mentor". I hope as many of you as see fit will join the new group, which I think I submitted as MightyMojoMentor group (keeping the "mojo" part out of love for this group ). At any rate, i will post here as soon as it goes live, which will probably be a few days after xmas. In the meantime, though, I will continue checking here, to be sure!!!
No need to feel bad, you've been a fabulous mentor and group facilitator. I suspect the folks in the other group feel the same way. Will you post a link so we can sign up with the new group? Do you know a go live date, I'd like to get it on my calendar so I don't get busy and miss it.
2011-12-19 8:29 PM
in reply to: #3943333

User image

Veteran
Spokane
50andgettingfit - 2011-12-18 7:06 PM

Steve,

Thanks for reading my blog I really appreciate your input. It's been fun to start and I think it will be a good place for me to look back on this upcoming year.

I'm looking forward to the new group starting up. It's always nice to 'meet' new people.

To all,

I'm in the middle of my marathon training. I ran 18 miles today! That is just such a long way. It pooped me out. I was lucky enough to have my niece in town and she ran 10 miles with me to that was really fun. It made the time go by quickly. 

My Dad had to be hospitalized last night. He's had an intermittent fever for a week and one of his blood tests came back showing an infection in his bloodstream so he went in to get IV antibiotics and fluids. He's 83 so it's easy to get rundown quickly. He looks much better today and is hoping to be discharged tomorrow.

More Christmas shopping for me this week and hopefully I'll be all wrapped by next weekend

Johanne

Eighteen miles is indeed a long way, well done! What will your longest training run be?
2011-12-19 9:25 PM
in reply to: #3945060

User image

Expert
San Jose
Sementi - 2011-12-19 6:29 PM
50andgettingfit - 2011-12-18 7:06 PM

Steve,

To all,

Johanne

Eighteen miles is indeed a long way, well done! What will your longest training run be?

Gene,

I'll do 2 20 mile runs, a couple of shorter 'long' runs and then taper. Yippee!

New Thread
CLOSED
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Got Your Mojo WORKIN'! group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 172