Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 171

2011-04-06 7:51 AM
in reply to: #3431889

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!
Subject: RE: swbkrun with us!!! - Closed

Yep, it looks delish, especially that BREAD, but you wouldn't catch me 5 feet from that truck. Just don't buy things from some dude who made it in his who-knows-what-it-looks-like kitchen!

sdalessio - 2011-04-06 7:31 AM

Suzy I know you are leery of food trucks and only remember the old "roach coach" version but these are the temptations I must resist at work.  One of my favs is 3 blocks away for lunch today.  And yes this roll tastes as good as it looks.

2011-04-06 7:54 AM
in reply to: #3431839

User image

Champion
SSMinnow - 2011-04-06 6:30 AM

If I squint really hard, I can see the weekend and you know what that means!!!!  It's time for some of us to do a little racing....who's in??

We haven't talked much about OWS yet (especially since many of our lakes are still frozen). Tell us your past experiences/tactics, is it your strength or does it freak you out? wetsuit--sleeves or no?  Time to get ready to take the plunge!

50K relay for me!  Same team as last year and I pick them well. All three of my mates are super fast which should blast us into one of the top three spots in the really old age category.  This race is the National Championships for the 100K so is always fun to watch the smoothness of the top ultra runners. 

As the resident freak about OW, I like John's advice and would add one thing---get in ahead of time, burp your suit and then swim to get used to temps.  Always seems to calm me down a fraction.

2011-04-06 8:07 AM
in reply to: #3431865

User image

Elite
Raleigh
fattyfatfat - 2011-04-06 8:10 AM
SSMinnow - 2011-04-06 7:30 AM

If I squint really hard, I can see the weekend and you know what that means!!!!  It's time for some of us to do a little racing....who's in??

We haven't talked much about OWS yet (especially since many of our lakes are still frozen). Tell us your past experiences/tactics, is it your strength or does it freak you out? wetsuit--sleeves or no?  Time to get ready to take the plunge!

good luck racing peeps!   nada here. 

ows.  i think one of the biggest mistakes people make, especially newer folks, is they just jump on in without giving starting position, course or conditions much thought.   especially in saltwater races where currents are more apt to be a factor.  ironman isn't going to be wetsuit legal so thats a non-issue, but yeah, sleeves.  my old coach was a D1 swimmer at florida and swears by sleeveless,  talk's all about the feel of the water.  i think there's something to hat,  but i still look at all the pro's and they ain't wearing sleeveless suits. 

Two points. First I find the sleeveless suit gives me more freedom of movement through the shoulders.

Second, the pros get the top of the line models from the manufacturers and some get custom fitting. Therefore their full sleeved suits fit better. In that situation I would wear one of those too.

(Of course I look even dorkier than usual in a sleeveless).

2011-04-06 8:09 AM
in reply to: #3431922

User image

Expert
CHARLOTTESVILLE, Virginia
SSMinnow - 2011-04-06 7:51 AM

Yep, it looks delish, especially that BREAD, but you wouldn't catch me 5 feet from that truck. Just don't buy things from some dude who made it in his who-knows-what-it-looks-like kitchen!

sdalessio - 2011-04-06 7:31 AM

Suzy I know you are leery of food trucks and only remember the old "roach coach" version but these are the temptations I must resist at work.  One of my favs is 3 blocks away for lunch today.  And yes this roll tastes as good as it looks.

If it makes you feel any better, they are all monitored and inspected by the DC Dept of Health just like other restaurants in the city.   :-)

2011-04-06 8:16 AM

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada
SSMinnow - 2011-04-06 5:30 AM

Back to back weekends for me. Supposed to be better weather. High 50's....i just don't want icy crappy paths again!!  Running a 1/2.

OWS- when it comes to doing 70.3's in Texas, just ensure you are ahead of other AG'ers you know!

Really we need to wear full sleeves up here. I'm looking forward to trying my new suit out as the entry level Nineteen was getting tight on my shoulders when swimming longer.

Get in slowly splash some water on your face, then dip in, go pee-pee and you're good to go!

2011-04-06 8:18 AM
in reply to: #3431865

User image

Champion
Charlottesville, Virginia
fattyfatfat - 2011-04-06 8:10 AM

good luck racing peeps!   nada here. 

ows.  i think one of the biggest mistakes people make, especially newer folks, is they just jump on in without giving starting position, course or conditions much thought.   especially in saltwater races where currents are more apt to be a factor.  ironman isn't going to be wetsuit legal so thats a non-issue, but yeah, sleeves.  my old coach was a D1 swimmer at florida and swears by sleeveless,  talk's all about the feel of the water.  i think there's something to hat,  but i still look at all the pro's and they ain't wearing sleeveless suits. 

No racing this weekend, it should all start next weekend for me.

Agree on what John said about looking at the course.

For me sleeves all the way.  I think the though of sleeveles from real swim types is it can mess with their perfect stroke.  For me, don't have a perfect stroke so I need all the buoyancy(sp?) I can get.

Also agree with what Sam said, try and get in the water the day before if at all possible.  For those going to Rev 3 they have a good swim session the day before to check out the course and see what landmarks are out there.  Last year it was turn when you see the river boat, then swim back to the bridge, then to the dock, pretty easy.

I still hyperventiate a bit when I first get in the water, So I like to get in as early as possible give my HR time to come back down then get going.  LOL, not sure why I do this after so many times now in OW but I do.

One last thing my coach had me do last year was start on the front row if at all possible.  Don't need to be right in the middle of the scrum on the perfect line, but get to the front.  I am by no means a FOP swimmer, most of my swims turn out to be almost exactly MOP. 

For some reason this is usually seems to be the way it works.  A small group of fast swimmers move right to the front, a good portion of the people think they are so-so swimmers so they start somewhere in the middle and another good portion think they are slow and start way in the back.

So the majority of those that think they are fast, probably are and they take off, so you don't have to deal with them.  A small portion of the so-so swimmers are fast and they might swim over you, and usually the ones that start in the back are slow so you don't have to worry about them swimming over you.

So starting on the front row for me usually gives me quite a bit of open water to swim with.  I don't mind faster swimmers bumping me when they go by, I tend to have more problems when I catch people and in this setup I don't catch many.

2011-04-06 8:23 AM
in reply to: #3431990

User image

Champion
Oh, and I guess I forgot, I am running a 5k on Friday. 
2011-04-06 8:24 AM
in reply to: #3431284

User image

Elite
Raleigh
dalessit - 2011-04-05 4:58 PM

Get one, it should make you go faster.  And come on we all look pretty dorky walking around wearing tight spandex, the aero helmet just completes the look.

If I recall correctly, Tony once posted a link to an article directed to buying speed. It turns out that an aero helmet is one of the cheapest ways to cut your time.  ?www.bikesportmichigan.com/features/aero_helmet.shtml

Doug

2011-04-06 9:29 AM

User image

Good luck Trevor, Sam and Tony!

No racing for me. I've had mixed experiences with OWS so far. I don't mind the murky water (we're talking lucky-if-you-can-see-your-own-hand murky) or the depth (I just try not to think about what else is in the water with me), but I don't like swimming in a crowd. The races around here are pretty small, but there's a lot of bunching up on the sprint courses. I've liked the Oly courses better because the crowd thins out and I can find some open water. In either case, I position myself to the outside as much as possible. I'd rather swim a little farther than run into people.

I went with a sleeveless wetsuit because the water tends to be warm around here and because I didn't want to lose range of motion in my shoulders. I haven't worn it in a race yet because as soon as I got it last season the water got too warm! I did a practice swim in it, though, and I felt unbalanced because my legs were more buoyant than my arms/chest. I felt like someone was pushing my legs like in a wheelbarrow race. So the jury's still out on that.

2011-04-06 10:39 AM
in reply to: #3432150

User image

Champion
marietta
gotta run - 2011-04-06 10:29 AM

No racing for me. I've had mixed experiences with OWS so far. I don't mind the murky water (we're talking lucky-if-you-can-see-your-own-hand murky) or the depth (I just try not to think about what else is in the water with me), but I don't like swimming in a crowd. The races around here are pretty small, but there's a lot of bunching up on the sprint courses. I've liked the Oly courses better because the crowd thins out and I can find some open water. In either case, I position myself to the outside as much as possible. I'd rather swim a little farther than run into people.

I went with a sleeveless wetsuit because the water tends to be warm around here and because I didn't want to lose range of motion in my shoulders. I haven't worn it in a race yet because as soon as I got it last season the water got too warm! I did a practice swim in it, though, and I felt unbalanced because my legs were more buoyant than my arms/chest. I felt like someone was pushing my legs like in a wheelbarrow race. So the jury's still out on that.

you could try this...  the kiddos can make a sign in knockersville and we can give it a try!

Edited by fattyfatfat 2011-04-06 10:40 AM
2011-04-06 12:01 PM

User image

Master
Sin City
SSMinnow - 2011-04-06 4:30 AM

Was supposed to do a Tri A Fun race (more of a workout than an actual race - no swags, no medals, no AG awards, etc), but I decided to ditch it (didn't officially register yet...so that's a good thing!).

Wetsuit - Sleeves. I'm a cold-weenie.  However, I'm finding my sleeves to be more restrictive than helpful. Feels like "I can't get my arms over!" (you know..."I can't get my arms down!" from A Christmas Story).  Not sure how to fix that.  I mentioned it a few pages back, but no one replied (which is understandable due to Barry and his friend's bike accident). 

I have no problems getting in the water, but my feet gets cold very quickly and that f'king hurts. I try to jog in a circle, dig in my feet in the sand for a little bit and just do some kicking, then I'm good to go. 

Only one time I had a panic attack (Thinking about dead bodies in the water will do some freaky things with your mind...never go OWS alone!). 

2011-04-06 12:05 PM
in reply to: #3431850

User image

Elite
san francisco
fattyfatfat - 2011-04-06 4:55 AM
kt65 - 2011-04-05 11:04 PM
fattyfatfat - 2011-04-05 6:47 PM
sdalessio - 2011-04-05 9:35 PM
fattyfatfat - 2011-04-05 7:50 PM
DougRob - 2011-04-05 7:02 PM

I have two now and I sold my first one to another member of the MG. I have not found them to be too hot. They have good ventilation nowadays. I have not tried my newest one as I just got it this off season and it was  given to me for rejoining my triathlon club. It is a Lazer.

Doug

yeah, i see it on the helmets and read about that, i'm just having a hard time getting my mind around it.   basically i'm trying to figure every way to keep my temps down for that run.  probably over thinking it. 

Umm last time I checked you are not supposed to wear your aero helmet on the run!  Tongue out  I'm sure a cap or visor would provide better ventilation.

i guess i could ignore everything i do on the bike, including what i wear.  after all, its just a marathon... no sense in thinking about the day from a holistic perspective. 

Tongue out

Hey, have you seen those arm coolers from Zoot? I ordered a pair when they had that big sale but alas the small was too big . Need to do more strength training! Had to return them, sadly Anyhoo, they felt really nice on!

yes.  and a few other manufactures.  not sure what i think.  the technology seems to vary greatly by environment with the less humid regions being much more applicable to wearing the gear as long as you're able to keep it damp, clearly not ideal for training unless you like carrying a bunch of extra water.  desoto make a long sleeve shirt in the fabric with three pockets down the spine which seems good for ice, IF ice is available at a consistent duration on the run.  but again,  the humidity seems to discount any cooling effect the fabric may provide.  on the plus side there is uv protection, but at what cost, i dunno. 

bottom line,  i have some doubts about the gear, especially the black fabric,  that makes no sense to me. 

i know some pretty petite chicks that wear the desoto cool wings.   

The ones I saw here http://www.trisports.com/zoot-icefil-arm-cooler-sleeves.html were white.

I'll have to check out the wings...interesting tan lines.  

2011-04-06 12:23 PM
in reply to: #3431933

User image

Master
Maryland
SSMinnow - 2011-04-06 8:54 AM
SSMinnow - 2011-04-06 6:30 AM

50K relay for me!  Same team as last year and I pick them well. All three of my mates are super fast which should blast us into one of the top three spots in the really old age category.  This race is the National Championships for the 100K so is always fun to watch the smoothness of the top ultra runners. 

As the resident freak about OW, I like John's advice and would add one thing---get in ahead of time, burp your suit and then swim to get used to temps.  Always seems to calm me down a fraction.

I might do a 7.1 mile trail race Saturday.

As for OWS, even though I lifeguarded at the NJ ocean and in pools, my first tri was frightening.  I completely panicked, had to do some back stroke. I still panic at the start, but I have come a long way.  I prefer ows to the pool any day...for practice. For racing, I still have a way to go, it just scares me still. I love wearing my sleevless and doing an ows practice, so refreshing and relaxing. Now if I could only maintain that feeling during races!

What has been helping me is to practice the ows before the race and just ows practice as much as I can.

Linda

2011-04-06 12:57 PM
in reply to: #3432333

User image

fattyfatfat - 2011-04-06 11:39 AM
gotta run - 2011-04-06 10:29 AM

you could try this...  the kiddos can make a sign in knockersville and we can give it a try!

I should have known better.

And she should eat a sandwich.

Edited by gotta run 2011-04-06 12:59 PM
2011-04-06 1:29 PM
in reply to: #3256813

User image

Expert
CHARLOTTESVILLE, Virginia

So I'm thinking about doing something crazy and signing up for a 50k trail race in June.  I've done a little trail running and I'll be lucky enough to train on the course but I need some help w/ trail shoes if I decide to take the plunge.

So trail runners any shoe advice?

2011-04-06 2:45 PM
in reply to: #3432694

User image

Champion
sdalessio - 2011-04-06 1:29 PM

So I'm thinking about doing something crazy and signing up for a 50k trail race in June.  I've done a little trail running and I'll be lucky enough to train on the course but I need some help w/ trail shoes if I decide to take the plunge.

You got that right. You're crazy....not the trail run, but the distance!

PS I gotta say I don't get the whole put something on to stay cooler thing...

2011-04-06 3:10 PM
in reply to: #3432922

User image

Elite
san francisco
SSMinnow - 2011-04-06 12:45 PM

Normally I would agree, but I'm with John, anything to keep cooler is going to pay dividends later in the heat of the day.  At Vineman, I absolutely wilt once we get off the bike, it's almost like entering a big hot dry oven and even though I stick ice down my tri shorts, in my sports bra, etc which helps to lower my core temp, my arms still get fried out there!  Just interested in doing everything possible to keep things operational....and truly, that material felt really good against my skin!  It's not like I need a tan or anything!

And Sam, did you say you were focusing on short stuff this summer???  50K!!!!  wow. 

2011-04-06 4:53 PM
in reply to: #3432990

User image

Champion
kt65 - 2011-04-06 3:10 PM

Normally I would agree, but I'm with John, anything to keep cooler is going to pay dividends later in the heat of the day.  At Vineman, I absolutely wilt once we get off the bike, it's almost like entering a big hot dry oven and even though I stick ice down my tri shorts, in my sports bra, etc which helps to lower my core temp, my arms still get fried out there!  Just interested in doing everything possible to keep things operational....and truly, that material felt really good against my skin!  It's not like I need a tan or anything!

And Sam, did you say you were focusing on short stuff this summer???  50K!!!!  wow. 

Interesting.  I will say that I was pretty cooked on the course in Racine last year with temps in the mid 90s.  So when do you put said attire on?  before your wetsuit?  My transition times already blow, I cannot imagine adding to them.  I also can't imagine putting them on a wet body....what do you think?

2011-04-06 5:09 PM
in reply to: #3433165

User image

Burleson

I think I am going to run a 5K this weekend.  As for the OWS, I did my first one this past week.  It did not go so well.  I was not able to spot very good and had problems keeping track of where I was in the water.  I think I am going to need a lot of practice.

2011-04-06 5:10 PM
in reply to: #3433165

User image

Champion
marietta
SSMinnow - 2011-04-06 5:53 PM

Interesting.  I will say that I was pretty cooked on the course in Racine last year with temps in the mid 90s.  So when do you put said attire on?  before your wetsuit?  My transition times already blow, I cannot imagine adding to them.  I also can't imagine putting them on a wet body....what do you think?

i wouldn't swim in them and in fact i think the manufacturer does not recommend it.  so i think in t1, t2 or coming out of t2.  don't forget the sunblock factor, you may not need any if you wear the right kind.  so take that off your transition time, maybe... but please please please test this before the race. 

and i think if you add a minute or so in transition and these work,  then you may gain much more than that minute back out on the run.  of course, again, this all needs to be tested on you in the environment you intend to race in before the race.

it's definitely an intriguing concept.

2011-04-06 5:16 PM
in reply to: #3432694

User image

Champion
marietta
sdalessio - 2011-04-06 2:29 PM

here's what i wear.  i dig em'

i run in 2150's.  tried the 2150 trail and didn't like them.  but maybe there is a trail version of your road shoe.  not sure if its possible for a good translation from road to trail in the same model though.

2011-04-06 6:37 PM

User image

Master
Almaden Valley, San Jose, California

I like the idea of the cool wings for cooling....maybe.  As for sunscreen, in both IMMoo and IMCdA, I put on a base of SPF100 lotion when I got to the race, then sprayed on an additional SPF 85 as I put on my wetsuit.  Worked - and I get fried in the sun.  Combination?  Who knows.  It worked for me.  My nose got a bit pink.....that was it.

The wind is rippin' through here today.  yuk.

2011-04-06 7:02 PM
in reply to: #3433196

User image

fattyfatfat - 2011-04-06 6:16 PM
sdalessio - 2011-04-06 2:29 PM

here's what i wear.  i dig em'

i run in 2150's.  tried the 2150 trail and didn't like them.  but maybe there is a trail version of your road shoe.  not sure if its possible for a good translation from road to trail in the same model though.

I have these, only last year's model. They're basically the trail version of my road runners (better traction, a little less cushion, better drainage for when they get waterlogged). If your trails are rocky, you might want something that will protect your feet more, but pay attention to weight when you're comparing shoes. Some trail shoes are really heavy.

2011-04-06 8:27 PM

User image

Veteran
Yorktown, VA & Langley AFB
Subject: Croix Sather - Dream Big, Act Big

Hey there group!

I've been lurking in the shadows, trying to keep up with everything here.  Now I feel I truly have something worth while to share.

Yesterday I met Croix Sather.  He is running across America, 100 marathons in a 100 days, with a message about dreams; having them, acting on them and finishing those dreams.  All along the way each day he is giving a FREE motivational speech and giving out 100,000 copies of his new book Dream Big, Act Big.   Check him out at http://www.facebook.com/croix or www.DreamBigActBig.com

Croix let me run with him yesterday, all 24 miles of his afternoon run - it was AWESOME!  If you get the chance to hear him speak please take the opportunity.   Run with him, he's almost 1000 miles in and only had a handful of people run with him - its lonely out there!

Spread the word!

2011-04-06 8:36 PM
in reply to: #3433188

User image

Champion
fattyfatfat - 2011-04-06 6:10 PM
SSMinnow - 2011-04-06 5:53 PM

i wouldn't swim in them and in fact i think the manufacturer does not recommend it.  so i think in t1, t2 or coming out of t2.  don't forget the sunblock factor, you may not need any if you wear the right kind.  so take that off your transition time, maybe... but please please please test this before the race. 

and i think if you add a minute or so in transition and these work,  then you may gain much more than that minute back out on the run.  of course, again, this all needs to be tested on you in the environment you intend to race in before the race.

it's definitely an intriguing concept.

Again with the podcasts, but they tend to have lots of good info on them.  There was one that talked about the cooling fabrics and they went into detail about how each of the brands worked.  Probably worth reading up on if it's something you're interested in.  They did explain how the black fabrics worked but honestly I can't remember how.

I can't remember if it was the podcast or somewhere else but I thought I heard about these not working in humid heat.   I'll see if I can find the notes from the podcast and I'll post.

Edit: I can't find the transcript but they had the guy that helpded develop this stuff at Zoot on to talk about it, it's episode 129 on BG fitness (you can't spell his name here as he spams the site, but he does get good guests on every so often)

Edited by dalessit 2011-04-06 8:52 PM
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » swbkrun with us!!! - Closed Rss Feed  

of 171