BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Tri Curious - closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 26

2011-04-04 4:03 PM
in reply to: #3426674

Veteran
Subject: RE: Tri Curious - closed
mbasta - 2011-04-02 1:19 PM

We did a pretty good job retaining team members this season. Including myself we have 9 people who posted in March/April. I think we started out with about 15 or so, but I was told some people would disappear.

Is there anything else I can help with? What changes would you suggest in future mentor groups? I think in the future I will come up with a predetermined weekly theme and give a little information/resources for it.

Thank you for all of your help!  I am finally seeing light at the end of the tunnel as far as tax season goes!  So sorry that I bailed on the group   but I was checking the posts occasionally.

I have been biking, weight training and amping up the running....so things are looking promising.  I am planning to see family in May and will check out the tri course when I get there.  I think you are an awesome mentor! Keep up the great work!  You were so very helpful and the other members were too!  Thanks again!! Best to all

2011-04-04 4:32 PM
in reply to: #3429311

User image

Elite
Ontario, Canada

kwynnc - 2011-04-04 4:13 PM Cross posted from my other journal: "Holy anxiety! I just got off BT.com and I'm freaking out about the swim again. Am I completely insane to think about doing this? 800m. I'm not swimming 800m straight at the pool yet. I'm doing over that amount in yardage at the pool, but certainly not just getting in and doing it. My thought process has been this: I'm wearing a wet suit; my friend is swimming at the same time (although I don't know that I would ask her to swim with me, it doesn't seem fair to her); I can do the amount especially if I include dog paddling and/or back stroke, etc; I plan to get in with my wetsuit on Thursday and Friday, maybe even Wednesday depending on what time we get there, with Brian watching from shore; I can't really do an open water swim here - we still have ice on the water, for crying out loud; I can take breaks at the kayaks, if it's anything like Danskin; I was planning on doing 10 strokes free style, then lift my head and dog paddle if needed, then back in; if I get in and freak out immediately, at least I tried and can try again another day. Am I completely f***ing insane? Should I plan to NOT do it and then do Colorado in August (400m swim)? Just go on vacation - but I hate to not do it because then I worry that I'll just chicken out again and again."

Go do the event and remember that it's just for fun! Bring to mind why it is that you wanted to do triathlon in the first place, and go. Don't think too much. What's the worst thing that will happen if you come out of the water last? I've done it, and it didn't matter.

Sending positive vibes.

2011-04-04 4:33 PM
in reply to: #3256872

User image

Elite
Ontario, Canada
I'm glad to hear that you were all happy with the group! I'm thinking about doing it again in summer and anyone who's interested from here is more than welcome to join.
2011-04-05 12:37 PM
in reply to: #3429444

Regular
mbasta - 2011-04-04 4:32 PM

Go do the event and remember that it's just for fun! Bring to mind why it is that you wanted to do triathlon in the first place, and go. Don't think too much. What's the worst thing that will happen if you come out of the water last? I've done it, and it didn't matter.

Sending positive vibes.

Once I get the anxiety going, it's not so much worrying about getting out of the water last, it's fearing drowning that tends to be the problem.

However, I do realize that it's anxiety talking. I talked to a couple of friends on another forum and got some good advice from them (they do tri's as well, and their swimming isn't their strong suit either). So after reading this and their posts, I'm feeling much better. Thanks so much, it's nice to put it into perspective.

Swam at the pool today - went pretty well.

100 warm up
200 swim
300 swim
200 swim
100 cool down

Actually went pretty well and went a long way to calming me down.

Melissa - you've been a great mentor and I really appreciate all the help and advice. I would definitely be interested in joining again - especially since I may do a tri in August as well. Also, was wondering if people would be coming in here to post their race reports after they've done them? I'd love to read how things went for them, and would love to be able to post how mine went as well. I know everyone can post in their own log, but it would be nice to have a central place to read everyone's reports. Does this thread get locked once the session is over?
2011-04-05 12:38 PM

Regular
Oh, and the part about remembering why I want to do the tri in the first place was especially helpful. Also, I need to remember that my boys are going to be there at the finish line this time, so I want them to see their mom coming across the line and getting that medal. My oldest one just started on the swim team and guts it out in the pool all the time - I can't let him see me quit.
2011-04-06 10:10 AM
in reply to: #3430817

User image

Elite
Ontario, Canada
kwynnc - 2011-04-05 1:37 PM
mbasta - 2011-04-04 4:32 PM

Sending positive vibes.

Once I get the anxiety going, it's not so much worrying about getting out of the water last, it's fearing drowning that tends to be the problem. However, I do realize that it's anxiety talking. I talked to a couple of friends on another forum and got some good advice from them (they do tri's as well, and their swimming isn't their strong suit either). So after reading this and their posts, I'm feeling much better. Thanks so much, it's nice to put it into perspective. Swam at the pool today - went pretty well. 100 warm up 200 swim 300 swim 200 swim 100 cool down Actually went pretty well and went a long way to calming me down. Melissa - you've been a great mentor and I really appreciate all the help and advice. I would definitely be interested in joining again - especially since I may do a tri in August as well. Also, was wondering if people would be coming in here to post their race reports after they've done them? I'd love to read how things went for them, and would love to be able to post how mine went as well. I know everyone can post in their own log, but it would be nice to have a central place to read everyone's reports. Does this thread get locked once the session is over?

Good idea about sharing race reports! I will start:

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=245709

That was the 10km I did a couple of weeks ago. This thread will be moved to archives but we will still have access to it if anyone would still like to come and chat.

2011-04-07 9:49 AM

User image

Elite
Ontario, Canada

Hey everyone! The next round of mentoring has officially begun. If you're interested I've started Tri-Curious version two.

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=247513&posts=1#M3434094

2011-04-07 12:50 PM

Regular
Thanks for the link to the race report. Great job! I love reading how everyone did and what to take away from it.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Tri Curious - closed Rss Feed  

of 26