BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Leegoocrap's Mentor Group - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 22

2010-12-21 7:34 PM

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
Subject: Leegoocrap's Mentor Group - Closed
We are open for Business!

NAME:
Leegoocrap / Chris

STORY:
I'm a 27 year old used car salesman who has always had a very competitive streak. This will be my fourth year in Triathlon, I came from a competitive bodybuilding/powerlifting background, later I drank the "Crossfit cool-aid" for a while which introduced me to cross training. From there I started running a bit, doing some local 5 and 10k's and cycling with some friends. The transition to Triathlon came soon after that. I currently ride a 2009 Scott CR1 and a 2009 Planet X Stealth (which I built myself - I'm an O.K. wrench if anybody needs any questions answered.)  

FAMILY STATUS:
Have a great family that puts up with my antics. The Relationship area is always convoluted and changing it seems, but generally happy.  Single currently

CURRENT TRAINING:
After finishing my first full distance (Rev3 Cedar Point) I've dropped my volume a bit but continue to work on getting faster. I'm working with an excellent coach at the moment who's helping me to push myself to the levels I'm hoping to achieve. After the first of the year I plan on "getting serious" for next season and really putting a lot into it.

THIS YEAR'S RACES:
Rev3 CP was the big (and last) race on 2010's calendar. I also did Rev3 Knoxville and quite a few local sprints this year leading up to CP.

2011 RACES:
  I'm currently signed up for Rev3 Knoxville again (a great race... and in my back yard!) and I'm looking at the Knoxville half marathon leading up to it. Other than that my season is a bit undefined... I'd like to give a go at the HalfMax Race if I can qualify for it this year.

WEIGHTLOSS:
I'm currently fluctuating around the mid 150's, but I generally drop into the upper 140's when racing season rolls around. I come from a bodybuilding background, so if anyone needs some help with diet, I can probably steer you in the right direction. 

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTOR:
I think it's most important to say that we should all be willing to learn something every day. I don't know all the answers, but I can promise if I don't know it, I'll do what I can to find out. I'm also a big computer nerd even at work, so I check BT on average about 5 times a day, so hopefully I can be pretty responsive. This will be my second time as a mentor, so hopefully I can use what I learned in my first experience to make this one even better!  So let's all have our best season yet, beginner, experienced, all ages, guys and girls welcome.

Edited by Leegoocrap 2010-12-30 2:44 PM

2010-12-26 2:34 PM
in reply to: #3256935

Regular
, Ohio
Subject: RE: Leegoocrap's Mentor Group - Open
I am new to this whole game. I did 4 sprints years ago and left the sport to concentrate on being a head football coach and parent , however I'm back now. I plan on doing a few olympic distances in June and July, then focus on a 1/2 Ironman in September. My level is novice but my fitness level is very good, I have competed in Marathons and 1/2's the past three years. I'm looking for a training program and nutrition program to get me through. Right now here is where I am at: I train each twice a week but would like to move up to three times a week. Swim=30min short, 60min long(1.5milies), Run=5mi short, 13mi long, Bike=20mi short, 40-50mi long. Any helped is appreciated. Joe
2010-12-26 4:36 PM

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
Welcome Joe!

We can certainly get you set up with something. What race are you doing?
2010-12-27 8:32 AM

User image

South Florida

Hey Chris, I'm joining your group and I always find your post very informative. So Hello!

-Nick

2010-12-27 8:53 AM
in reply to: #3262581

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
Nick, Welcome aboard!  I admit I've been slacking on the forums the last week or so with the holidays, but hopefully I'm back in action
2010-12-27 9:25 AM

User image

South Florida
I like the holidays but glad when they are over and life is back in order.

Quick overview of myself. Last year was my first year doing Tri's. Loved it from the first"gun".  My 1st race was an Olympic(gluten for punishment), then a few sprints, then a HIM. I did a mix of HM/FM mixed in through the year.

I live in Ft. Lauderdale so outdoor training is year round. Minus the few cold days thrown in here and there (morning temp was 43 with a high of 62ish. yes it's chilly to me)

I have a few races planned for 2011 with a non IM brand Full in October down here in Florida.

-Side note- For some reason i can't update my logs. Its something with a setting on my computer. It doesn't "recognize" my 305. Working on that problem

2010-12-27 1:05 PM

User image

Expert
Boise, Idaho
Chris, If you have room I'd enjoy joining your group.
(I'll post my 'bio' after I hear from you).  Thanks.  jeff

Edited by jeffnboise 2010-12-27 1:07 PM
2010-12-27 1:11 PM
in reply to: #3263016

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
Jeff, welcome to the group!
2010-12-27 2:35 PM

User image

Expert
Boise, Idaho
Thanks, Chris!

Hello 'group'...

I'm Jeff (aka Jeffnboise).  Been doing tris for 4 seasons.  Grew up a middle-distance runner, got interested in cycling while I was overseas in the Air Force and taught myself to swim so I could race.  Needless to say, I'm a horrible swimmer.
48 yrs young, divorced father of 3 (17, 15 and 8).  Oldest lives with me and I see other two several times a week.  Weight right now is about 155, but I've been nursing a broken foot and bad ribs for the past couple months so I hope to get back around 148-150 lbs-I race around 145.
My training is been kind of a 'touchy-feely' affair-Not much structure.  That REALLY hurt last season; my results were pretty mediocre.  I'm going to stick to a plan this year and do more weight training and speed work on the track. 
I'm a Federal Police Officer by day, and work pt in a LBS on the weekends-I do a little bit of wrenching myself, but I'm mostly a salesman and product pusher.
I tend to stick to the Oly distances, but I would like to try a HIM and a full mary next year.  I think what I can bring to the table is a 'mature' voice of reason, a dry sense of humour and a craving to have fun.  I've seen and done a good bit in my life and I can usually smell the 'bull' from the methods that work.
I look forward to getting to know everyone.  Be Strong-Be Safe-Have Fun!
2010-12-27 2:56 PM

User image

Veteran
Seattle, Washington
I'll be back in! I'll post a little bio later in the day.
2010-12-27 7:08 PM

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
welcome back Christina!

2010-12-28 6:16 AM

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
Ok guys, show (if you want) and tell time. Let's hear what your favorite piece of equipment is - as far as triathlon goes -

Normally I'd say my Planet, but since Christmas I'll say it's been my Adidas Adios! Such awesome shoes. Even better, they totally match my BT kit
2010-12-28 8:03 AM
in reply to: #3263924

User image

South Florida
I'd say mine would be my Aqua Sphere Kaynenne Goggles. IT took me a few months to find good goggles that fit, didn't leak or fog. I now have a pair for training and racing.

I wish i could say i love my shoes. I've been having an identity crisis with my feet. They want to be neutral, but body tells me other wise. So i've been searching for a stability shoe that doesn't weigh a brick. I'll have to look into the Adidas line
2010-12-28 1:19 PM

User image

Expert
Boise, Idaho
I , too, really like me AquaSphere goggles. I use both the Kayanne and the smaller Vista mask.I also like my bike alot. It's an older QR Caliente, but it fits good and didn't cost hardly anything. I just feel faster when Im on it.
2010-12-28 5:27 PM

Regular

Hello! My name is Austin, here are a few things about me:

• I'm 19, 5ft. 8 in., about 140 lbs.
  • Freshman in college, studying Psychology and Spanish (Double Major)
  • I'm naturally "athletic" but I've never done a lot of endurance training
  • Training for an Oly Tri, and haven't picked one out yet ( I plan on doing a couple Sprints, and more than one Oly)
  • I'm from the St. Louis area, but live in Joplin, MO to attend school
  • If I have a goal to accomplish, I go for it, but I sometimes struggle with setting them (When it comes to sports, times, and distances that is)
  • Biking will be the easiest for me, and swimming and running will be the hardest
  • I'm an alright swimmer, but I struggle with rhythmic breathing

2010-12-28 9:25 PM

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
Welcome Austin!

For me, learning (and re-learning after I broke my collar bone) to breathe bi-laterally was just a lot of repeating 1 length down breathing on my "good" side, then coming back bi-laterally... until it started to feel natural. A lot of people sink when they take a breath on their weak side...it helps to make a point of stretching forward when you turn on that side - for me at least.

2010-12-28 11:41 PM

User image

New user
Hi Chris,

I too would like to join your group. I'm 22 years old and am very new to everything and training in general. I started running around 2009 and swimming in the winter of 2009 to avoid the cold weather. At first things were more for just an exercise, but quickly found out how much I was enjoying it. March 2010 I got stationed at a base in MD and found out about their crossfit gym on base and do that. 

Races I have done so far are 12mile bike/5k run Duathlon in July, USAF Marathon in September, Base 5k turkey trot in November and a 5 mile turkey trot also in November. 

I am looking to do a Sprint distance triathlon as soon as the water warms up here to get my feet wet and really have at it at the Sprint or Olympic distance in June ( close to my birthday). Then after that possibly another back home in September or retry at my goal for a sub 3 hour Marathon in September.  2011 is looking to be a fun year!

Where do I start? Laughing

Andrew 
2010-12-29 4:40 AM

User image

Regular
Hertford,Hertfordshire
Hi Chris

You got room for a Brit in the group. If so i will drop a bio later. 

Mac   
2010-12-29 6:44 AM

User image

Master
Centennial, CO

Chris,  got room for a 41 year old from Colorado?

I've been at triathlon for 6 years, coming in to my 7th.  I started into this whole world after separating my shoulder playing ice hockey.  Used swimming to rehab and cycling to lose weight.  Figured I'd learn to run and there it was.  My focus is mainly on sprint and olympic distance.  2008 was my big year, qualifying and competing at US Age Group nationals in Portland, Oregon.

This year my plan it to refocus and get back to nationals.  It will be a long stretch to qualify, but with the right training and race schedule, I think I have a decent shot. 

I'll be run and swim focused for the next few months as cycling has always been my strength, so I need to get my swim and run back up to a strong level if I want any chance to go back to nationals.  Oh and yes, I need to lose about 10-12 lbs.  I race in the mid 150s, but need to get back to 140 something to really find my speed.  I'm a 5'6" male, also from a weight lifting background.  Also, I am a software engineer (GIS Software, BS in Computer Science), but in my past life, have a BS in kinesiology and worked in the health and fitness field for 10 years.

2010-12-29 6:47 AM

User image

Master
Centennial, CO

My favorite piece of equipment is by far my Cervelo P2C.  I could ride everyday if I had time.  I run in Reebok Pro Plus.  They are the only shoes that fit my messed up feet.  Have been running in them for 7 years.  Hopefully they don't drop the line this year.

Looking forward to being part of the group and learning from you and others.

2010-12-29 8:30 AM

User image

Veteran
Seattle, Washington
Hey all! My name is Christina.

I'm 24, did my first triathlon in 2009, and a full season of triathlons in 2010 with my big event being a HIM. I grew up as a competitive swimmer and ran in high school. After moving to Glenwood Springs, I took up cycling, so triathlon seemed to be a logical next step. As for a real job, I'm a mechanical engineer doing machine design for a carbon fiber company. 

Currently I've been taking some time off, but now looking to start prepping for a Spring training program. In 2011, I'm looking to do at least another HIM (IM70.3 Boise), and maybe a full in September depending on how the next two months go. I think I need to lose 10lbs to get back to a good race weight.

2010-12-29 8:48 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Montreal, QC
Hey Joe, got room for one more?  I'm Pete.  I'm 25, and just got in to Tris this past summer, did 2 sprints, but am really amping up my schedule and going to have a very full year in 2011.  If you have a bit of space, I'd love to take advantage of joining for my second year in a mentor group!  Let me know!
2010-12-29 11:19 AM

Regular
Anyone know of some good swimming videos that demonstrate drills to help with technique for the freestyle, as well as bi-lateral breathing? Thanks!
2010-12-29 11:32 AM
in reply to: #3266228

User image

South Florida
acgibby - 2010-12-29 12:19 PMAnyone know of some good swimming videos that demonstrate drills to help with technique for the freestyle, as well as bi-lateral breathing? Thanks!

Hey Austin, There a some video's on youtube that i've found, but i can't remember which ones were resourseful. I would consider bi-lateral breathing a more advanced technique(to me at least) I would focus more on getting your rhythm and breathing to one side down. Once that feels like 2nd nature concentrate on breathing on the opposite side. What i did was once i found i was able to make to the end of a 50m pool, without gasping for air, i would breathe on the opposite side on the return lap. Do you have anyone to swim with thats experienced?

There's no "strokes per breath" thats standard. When i started out i couldn't make to the end of the pool without stopping and starting. I personally breathe every other stroke. Keeps my heartrate down, and less fatigue. Others may differ, but it is true. Practice DOES makes perfect (or at least more effeciant)

Edited by nvalaitis 2010-12-29 11:39 AM
2010-12-29 12:09 PM
in reply to: #3266244

User image

Extreme Veteran
Montreal, QC
While I see what you are saying, my thought process is to learn to breath to both sides at the same time.  That way, if you HAVE to breathe to one side (in open water, for example), you will be able to.  If you are just learning, I say to try to learn breathing to both sides (not necessarily bilateral...).  I agree that breathing to one side down one length of the pool, and the other side on the way back is a good way of going.  Always look at one wall of the pool, and you'll learn very quickly how to breathe to both sides! 
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Leegoocrap's Mentor Group - Closed Rss Feed  

of 22