BT Development Mentor Program Archives » The Frozen (not so) North Mentor Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 23

2011-04-16 11:16 PM
in reply to: #3257135

User image

Veteran
Baltimore Area
Subject: RE: The Frozen (not so) North Mentor Group - CLOSED
Hey guys. Quite on the board.

My foot seems to be healed (slight twinges now and again) but my knee is still healing. Ortho appt on Tuesday.
I ran 2 miles Thursday to test the knee but it wasn't ready.

I went for a short swim this morning. got kicked out after 15 minutes for aerobics class. I haven't swam in two months and boy that 400 yards was hard.

I am trying to get back in the groove of things. I had lost my exercise mojo when I lost my ability to run.
Hopefully this swim will kick things in gear.

2011-04-19 9:44 AM

User image

NH

Wendy - Awesome job.  Great to see you finally got one in!

Lovey - Don't fret losing a little time and mojo to injury.  Just be smart on the way back.

I'm just prepping/tapering for my half marathon in 2 weeks.  I'm just hoping to hold a reasonable pace and not blow up, since I've yet to race a 13.1 without major bonk.

2011-04-20 7:14 AM

User image

Master
Midcoast Maine

Hey all!

I was very lucky and got to see the Boston Marathon in person on Monday...truly inspiring. It reminded me that if you have the option to see a big race, make the effort. It is impressive to see the elites and how beautiful their form is and how effortless they make it seem - but it is also very inspiring to see the AGers - they truly are people just like you and me.

I've been laying low the last week or so - I hurt my troublesome shoulder last Thursday taking off my sports bra (oh, the irony). I'm just going to take it easy (for me) until Monday when the HIM plan starts for me to prepare for September. With the weather getting nicer, I'm excited to be outside.

Hope all of your training is going well and everyone is staying healthy!

2011-04-21 7:56 PM

User image

Nevada

Seems our little group is winding down..Warren, Jennifer and Scott thanks for all your great advice and thanks to everyone for their support. I have Iron Girl next weekend and then my season winds down for awhile as the weather heats up so I'll be signing off. I'll check in on you all once and while to see how your doing, Jennifer easy on those sports bras! (altho sometimes I count getting them on and off as an exercise) and don't forget to TAPER!. 

Checkout my website occassionaly for race updates or just to say HI! and let know how things are going with you all.

Thanks again to all!

Wendy

2011-04-25 8:19 PM

Burlington
I will add my voice of thanks to the crowd, though I hope to see some of you in your blogs and inspires in the weeks ahead. Enormous thanks to Jennifer and Warren for taking the lead to be our mentors and keep us going through the winter! I will watch everyone's blogs to see how you're doing!
2011-04-26 5:12 PM

User image

NH
I'll be checking here every so often as well, so feel free to keep posting. 

2011-05-27 9:35 PM

User image

Veteran
Baltimore Area
My 6 weeks of run rest is officially up by Monday. Doc suggested started back with short distances on the track.
I may try a 2 miler this weekend on the track. Nice and slow.

I started biking again so now I have to set up a schedule.

Hope everyone is enjoying some good weather.

Lovey
2011-05-28 5:47 AM

User image

NH

Great news Lovey.  I hope it works out well this time.  Time off can be the hardest part.

We've had a huge change in weather up here - it's in the mid 80s and humid all of a sudden.  At least it's not 45 and raining! 

2011-05-31 10:36 AM

User image

Master
Midcoast Maine

Hello all!

I ran a couple of legs of the Vermont City Marathon this weekend, race report is here...but more importantly - I got to meet greenhousevt (Kim) in person! Very cool.

Hope everyone is training and staying safe and uninjured. This weekend really wore me out, and fortunately, I've got an easy week on the plan for this week, so I should be ready and raring to go soon!

(jenwithkim.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
jenwithkim.jpg (84KB - 33 downloads)
2011-05-31 10:50 AM
in reply to: #3525491

User image

Veteran
Baltimore Area
funny race report Jen. And nice time.

Sunday, I rode 12 miles and then ran a mile afterwards. Thankfully, no knee pain but my legs felt sooo heavy it was hard to move them. Then I felt like my but gained 100 lbs. That was a hard mile. six weeks off is so hard. Tonight hopefully will be a little longer but still an easy run.

It is 96 degrees today. Heat wave!

Lovey
2011-06-03 3:11 PM

User image

NH

That's awesome Lovey.  The weather has been kinda nutty.  Layoffs are definitely tough.  You just have to be patient and keep after it. 

Jen and Kim - That race does look awesome and it's great that you guys got to meet in person.  My son and I had the honor of meeting Jennifer before my half last year as she volunteered and waved me home on the bike.  It's cool to see the real people attached to the threads.

2011-07-12 9:56 PM

User image

Veteran
Baltimore Area
How is everyone doing? Just checking in.
This week is training everyday and taking Sat off.

Monday - bike 12 miles, run 1mile (lightning shortened that one)
Tues - run 5k course, bike same 5k course
Wed - practice duathlon, run 2-bike 10-run 2
Thur - swim in am, bik/run combo in the evening
Fri - ST in am, off in the afternoon volunteering at kids swim team
Sat - off, volunteering at kids swim team
Sun - bike du course 26 miles, run 2 if time permitted
2011-07-14 5:23 PM

User image

NH

Hey Lovey, great to hear from you.  I'm doing great.  I've got a few good races under my belt this year and have joined a tri team - we're the Gnomies!  It's just a fun group and not too serious, though a few of the others are crazy fast.

I'm battling a little Achilles issue that won't totally go away, so I'm trying to decide how much to back off the running so it doesn't become chronic.  Biking doesn't seem to bother it much so I may just go nuts on the bike and see what happens.

Have you done any races or have any coming up?  I haven't seen race reports filled out, but I know sometimes that doesn't mean you didn't do the race.

2011-07-14 7:13 PM
in reply to: #3597108

User image

Veteran
Baltimore Area
I haven't done any races since my marathon in March. I needed time off to let my foot heal.

I have the DUthe2 duathlon on Aug 7th in 3 weeks. Two weeks later, I am doing the bike leg of Iron Girl Tri.
I have the Philly half marathon mid-Sept.

Take time to heal. Mine took so long because I wouldn't slow down.
2011-07-15 7:49 AM
in reply to: #3597273

User image

NH

Lovey - 2011-07-14 8:13 PM I haven't done any races since my marathon in March. I needed time off to let my foot heal. I have the DUthe2 duathlon on Aug 7th in 3 weeks. Two weeks later, I am doing the bike leg of Iron Girl Tri. I have the Philly half marathon mid-Sept. Take time to heal. Mine took so long because I wouldn't slow down.

Congrats on getting back in the swing, good luck.  Write that race report!

I hear ya on the healing, but i just don't want to take the time off!  I have to decide whether to rest (at least from running) for a few weeks or rest after my race.  The one race I really care about is Aug 20, so that's the real focus of the season.  It's a sprint with a challenging bike and a very short run, so I may just bike for a while and see how the run holds up on minimal training.

2011-09-08 9:56 AM
in reply to: #3597773

User image

Veteran
Baltimore Area
Just dropping a note if anyone is around. I hope all is well with everyone else.
Recently, we have had earthquales, then hurricane and now flooding. Wondering if locusts are next.

Getting back into the swing of things seems so much harder than I thought but I am pushing thru.

I just finished a 10K race on Sept 3rd. Not my best time but not my worst time either, surprisingly.
Next week is Philly half marathon.

I just got a free entry to Marine Corp Marathon. I have serious doubts about training and completing this race without injury.
I may have to downgrade to the 10K, I will re-evaluate after Philly half.

2011-09-09 11:19 AM

User image

NH

I'm here!  Always fun to race, though injuries are tough.  That HM is next weekend, right?  Take it easy and hopefully everything holds up.  I've heard great things about the Marine Corps marathon, hopefully you can get ready for it.

I've been dealing with an Achilles thing so very little running lately.  I just started back, so I'm crossing my fingers.  I did have a great A race this year despite the running hiatus - absolutely killed the bike (for me) and held up ok on the run.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » The Frozen (not so) North Mentor Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 23