BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Lora's Girls Group of Beginners - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 11

2011-02-22 6:25 AM
in reply to: #3365288

User image

Subject: RE: Lora's Girls Group of Beginners - CLOSED

I had/still have an overuse injury, so I caution anyone without a strong foundation in running not to run too hard/long all at once. Sarah, you have a lot of miles to add on in 4 weeks. Definately look for a plan that might get you close to your distance in 4 weeks. (Adrenaline will carry you a few xtra miles.) There may be a marathon plan that will have you doing 10 miles or so as your long run within 4 weeks. Look at the 1/2 as your long training run and then continue on in your marathon plan for May.
Otherwise, you might want to concentrate on endurance and distance over strength and pace. Plan on long slow runs that will let your body know that you want it to run 12.? miles. Try not to let your speed demon get the best of you and go for a pace that your body is not ready for. Walk if you need to in your training.  Injuries suck. They will kill your season and you have a lot planned. Take this race easy and see how it goes. Listen to your body and Good Luck!

If you are up to the Colon Cancer Challenge the next week, let me know. I'm running the 4 miler -we can meet up.

2011-02-22 9:25 AM
in reply to: #3257199

User image

Queens/Nassau County
Hey gals, thanks for your  help. Yes, I want to be careful I don't hurt myself. I am not sure I know the difference between a good weariness/sore from working out and an injury. At present, my knees are a little stiff. Nothing painful. I am definitely NOT going for speed at this point LOL....just mind training, accomplishing a goal. However long it takes. I believe the slowest pace they allow is 16 -17 min miles (walking) so I know my pace is higher than that and they won't kick me off the course! haha.

I'm honestly not sure why I signed up for the LI marathon but I feel like if I don't do it I never will and I have some fitness/physical improvement goals that only such a drastic commitment like a long running race or a triathlon will resolve.

I'll check out the race plans, I have quite a few honestly and I don't know which one really fits where I am at.

And YES I am running Saturday's race (Al Gordon Classic) the Colon Cancer one filled up before I could register. I am going to the swim clinic in Eisenhower Park later that same day, but I'd love to meet up with anyone who might be in Central Park Saturday morning!
2011-02-25 9:29 AM

User image

Denver
Wishing those of you competing this weekend a great race!  Go knock it out and have a great time!
2011-02-25 4:06 PM

User image

Master
Loveland, Ohio
Ack! I'm still here. I'll write more later tonight, but the last couple of weeks have had quite a few unexpected turns. I've missed you guys and I look forward to catching up. Talk to you very soon!
2011-02-26 10:33 AM

User image

Queens/Nassau County
Al Gordon Classic was great!! Prospect Park in the early morning is so beautifuL!  I jogged a mile warmup, ran the 4 miles w/o stopping except to drink water 2x; then jogged a cool down mile....in exactly one hour. If my cronometer or whatever it's called is accurate, that's brought me to a 10 min mile today.Laughing!!!

When I started the warm up run, i felt like I could not move at all. It was 32 degrees and 7:30am after all. It took some time but I really got a groove on.  I pushed pretty hard and could have pushed harder, I just wasn't sure and didn't want to fry myself. Next short distance race I can go harder I think. After the race i took a clif gel shot b/c I can't eat bagels (allergic) and drank some water. Then i jogged to cool down. Then I walked to my car (a hike) in the cold. Along the way I ate a tofu egg salad because I heard you have to replace protein within 30 minutes???

Right now, my legs ache. Can anyone tell me if I did something wrong nutritionally? If they are just sore as part of the course, so be it. I have logged my nutrition in my blog.

Tomorrow, I plan on going on a LONG run (half marathon prep...) I've never gone longer than 7 so I guess I should shoot for 8-10? Anyone have suggestions on how to do this? just slow and steady the whole time, or should i do intervals? What would you experienced people do?

Well I am back out the door to a Swim Clinic at Nassau Aquatic Center- phew! This day is pretty unreal.  I'll check in later ladies, have an awesome day!
2011-02-27 8:08 AM

User image

Queens/Nassau County
I have one very quick update, the swim clinic was awesome. I've never been to nassau aquatic center and it is a palace compared to the other pools i have seen (and can afford). Does anyone worry about junk in the water? anyway, the clinic was taught by Greg from Xtreme Multisports and not only was the lecture portion very helpful and very clear (I need it crystal clear for me to understand), I jumped in a 12 foot pool (overcame one phobia) and swam laps for about an hour with his guidance. With a few tweaks to my form, he said I was swimming faster that the guys who were in the lap next to us. I said yeah but I have to stop each lap to catch my breath and they just keep going, and he said that just takes time.

I still can't tread water and when I can do that I think I'll be truly comfortable, but Greg has done a bunch of Tri's and is training for his 6th Ironman, and the tidbits he gave of water survival were very helpful. There was an older gentleman in his 60's taking the course who was amazing too, very helpful, his goal was to WIN for his age group, he's always getting #3 or #4, I laughed because I said my goal is not to DIE in the water section.

They also told me that it's impossible to sink in a wetsuit? That gave me a lot of courage. If it's true.

OK, going to see how my body feels about a long run...either that or yoga class but truly it's a beautiful morning and they predicted rain so I'm going to see what we can do about that.

2011-02-28 2:53 PM
in reply to: #3374117

User image

Denver
Sarah - So glad to hear your swim clinic was such a great experience!  There was a natatorium where big events were held when I swam as a kid -- the water somehow felt faster knowing they held olympic trials there. 

As for junk in the water, with public pools I don't worry so much because most places will test the chemical levels multiple times a day.  With outdoors, yes, I have concerns.  For example, the aquathon I want to do later this summer is held in an outdoor location that I've heard typically tests positive for fecal matter.  However, I will probably just do it anyway because they have a lot of events there throughout the season and the health department hasn't shut anything down yet -- and if all else fails, I have some Cipro leftover from a trip to South America Wink.  On the other hand, the message boards on this site about the proposed Denver Tri swim location have a lot of comments from people who wouldn't swim in that particular lake if they were paid to do it.  Frankly, I wouldn't either in that one.  They are talking about testing it regularly and having an alternative location if it doesn't pass.  That's just scary to me plus it's goose poop central over there.

Treading water - one thing to remember when you're swimming is that your lungs, when full of air, are natural floatation devices for your body.  Now, when you're swimming, they're constantly filling and emptying, but the more air that is in them, the more you will stay afloat.  If you think of treading water more as floating maybe it will help.  Movements are small, just sculling with your hands and arms and very little kicking (mostly it's when you've exhaled and are taking a new inhalation).  The thing you want to control most is your breath and keeping your lungs full helps keep you afloat.  With practice on the treading water, you can breathe more easily and stay afloat and it becomes second nature. 

Impossible to sink in a wetsuit...  hmmm.  I know that in scuba diving weights are used to counter the float of the suit and the bouancy of salt water, but it seems like there could be a lot of truth to it.  Does it worry you that your legs tend to sink and it feels like it's pulling you down?  Legs don't float well for most of us.  If you have any specific questions about swimming, if I can help, I'm happy to. 
2011-02-28 7:35 PM

User image

Master
Loveland, Ohio
You guys are doing awesome! I'm completely impressed - and completely humbled as my training log shows.

I'm heading in to my fourth season of tris and never - ever - before has the winter gotten to me as much as it has this year. I am so - SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO ready for spring!

Anyone else?

2011-03-02 10:03 PM

User image

New user

Ok ladies, just got home from my second swim workout....haven't drowned yet so I think that's a pretty good sign. Cool

It was way better than even Monday and the coach had a camera set up so we could see ourselves swim the length of the pool and check out our stroke.  I was really encouraged by the fact that he said my stroke looked good.....just have to work up to a 1/4 miles.

Sleep well all!!!!
2011-03-03 9:56 AM

User image

Queens/Nassau County
That's my question and main concern right now! I can swim a lap and then I HAVE to stop. I am gasping and my heart is racing. I haven't built up the endurance yet. Any suggestions? I am swimming 3x week ....I thought I would have gotten better...but I'm not down on it, I'm putting in the pool time and I am making some progress!
2011-03-03 10:00 AM
in reply to: #3380933

User image

Long Beach, NY
shaptavajra - 2011-03-03 10:56 AM That's my question and main concern right now! I can swim a lap and then I HAVE to stop. I am gasping and my heart is racing. I haven't built up the endurance yet. Any suggestions? I am swimming 3x week ....I thought I would have gotten better...but I'm not down on it, I'm putting in the pool time and I am making some progress!

I'll give you the same advice my running friends gave me....if you're out of breath, you're going too fast.  Focus on technique and not speed.  My swim coach says forget getting to the wall of the pool and swim.  That's all I got.  Since I slowed down my running pace I'm doing way better, don't run out of breath and can now do 1.8 miles in 26 minutes.  Unheard of a month ago.

2011-03-04 6:05 PM
in reply to: #3380933

User image

New user

I definitely recommend swimming at a reasonable pace FOR YOU and concentrate on good form with nice long strokes.  I've also been playing around with breathing on both sides every 3rd stroke and sticking with breathing on just one side every 4th stroke.  My coach has said my endurance will improve as my overall cardio endurance increases.
2011-03-06 1:40 PM

User image

Queens/Nassau County

Thanks for the advice...I guess I don't know how to swim at a "reasonable pace". Or, I think i am but I'm still working too hard.

The Coogans Race today was awesome. I HIGHLY recommend anyone in NYC area to do it-- the music on every block is amazing, it's so inspiring, a few hills to make it worth the effort. Also, there's an after party at Coogans, one of my favorite places, and I had no one to go with

Umm... on another note...guess what....you girls (aside from my husband and my 2 best friends) are the only ones to know, I took three tests and they all say I am actually pregnant. I'm actually in total denial and I have signed up for so many half marathons and the LI marathon and a Sprint..... it figures.  I was just getting a groove on.

So any mommas out there.....advice? What can I do? I'm 40...

2011-03-06 4:53 PM
in reply to: #3385068

User image

New user

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!

Wish I had help to offer but I'm only an aunt. :-)

2011-03-07 6:25 AM
in reply to: #3385068

User image

Wow! Congratulations! I'm assuming this is a welcome bit of news, even if a surprise.

Of course it figures that you have all these races planned. I'm a 40+ mom, but not biological, so I cannot offer any advice about pregnancy and training. I have read about a lot of women who were able to continue trainining and racing. You are going to have to find a good oby/gyn (if you don't already have one) who understands what and why you are doing this and will offer sound advice about training and your pregnancy. Each of us is different, so your ability to continue to trainingwill depend on your body and how your pregnancy goes. But, if your up to it I imagine you will be able to do a lot of your races.

For me, being an older mom has it's pluses and minuses. I wish I had the energy of my early 30's but I'm happy for my wisdom and maturity. However, that all goes out the window when your 3 y/o tells you "your wrong!" with the conviction of a politican.

Congrats again. I wish you the best on this new journey.

2011-03-07 6:46 AM

User image

Queens/Nassau County

"For me, being an older mom has it's pluses and minuses. I wish I had the energy of my early 30's but I'm happy for my wisdom and maturity. However, that all goes out the window when your 3 y/o tells you "your wrong!" with the conviction of a politican."

LOL...I don't have EITHER of those -energy from my 30s OR wisdom and maturity!!

thanks for the congrats....I'm actually still in a bit of shock/disbelief...and selfishly, a little disappointed I won't be able to run the LI marathon in May now. I guess I'm also afraid to believe it's happening till I get past the next 2-3 months and I know it's a keeper. I've read too many scary things about older moms. Also, our home and finances are not really ready for a baby. We were of course trying basically because of our age and knew we didn't have much time left to get around to this, but after 1 1/2 yrs of trying in my mind, I sort of figured it wasn't going to happen for us, and jumped into tri training. Now, I guess I 'll have to see.  Between the coffee withdrawl and fatigue, I'm not a pretty sight right now!

2011-03-12 7:15 PM

User image

New user

Really in the swing of training now.  Feeling some tightness in my left knee.  I actually think it's due to my calf muscle being all tied up in knots.  Anyone have any experience with this? 

I re-started my old stretching routine from the book by Dr Peggy Brill "The Core Program" and I'm hoping that will help.  Since I've never been a runner I'm not sure what pains I should be concerned about about and what pains I just need to buck up and work through. 

Let me know what you all have experinced.

Thanks much!

2011-03-22 2:10 PM

User image

Long Beach, NY

Well, the group seems to have dissipated so I'll make one last entry.  Things are going well and I'm officially signed up for the Independence Triathlon, the Eisenhower Park Mighty Man, The Tobay Triathlon and the Warrior Dash.  I'm also doing the Tunnels to Towers run in Manhattan and possibly the Great South Bay Cross Bay Swim (5.25 miles from Fire Island to Long Island).  Training is tough on my own but I suppose it's a good thing I'm used to depending on myself.

Good luck to all!

Tracy

2011-03-28 10:44 AM

User image

Queens/Nassau County

Hi Ladies....well, all of my races are but a distant dream now, as I'm 8 weeks pregnant and my doc deems me high risk b/c of age and i can't run at all. Boo! I am allowed to swim but my HR can't go above 140 - which to me doesn't even feel like exercise!- so maybe I'll meet up with you all next year. I had just finished signing up for a LOT of events so hopefully some of them will refund me. I'm glad I did the Coogans 5K before i took the PG test- I was pretty sure I was pg then, or maybe I did know but I ran anyway- and it was really fun.

Well, I hope everyone has a fantastic first year Tri--- I'll be thinking of you, and hopefully, I'll be joining your ranks NEXT season.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Lora's Girls Group of Beginners - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 11