BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Lora's Girls Group of Beginners - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 11

2011-01-27 12:47 PM
in reply to: #3324912

User image

Long Beach, NY
Subject: RE: Lora's Girls Group of Beginners - CLOSED
shaptavajra - 2011-01-27 1:44 PM
tlynn721 - 2011-01-27 10:09 AM  Yell  Spend a half hour digging out my car and never made it to the gym.  I'll have to do double time next week.  .

Snow shoeveling counts as training-- it's in the sports section!

My point is that I'm actually getting out of bed but not getting in the workouts I want!  I'm actually proud that I got up on time 2 out of 4 days so far :D

2011-01-28 9:56 AM
in reply to: #3257199

User image

New user
Texas
Beautiful day today in Texas.... really makes me want to ditch work and just go play.  Hope everyone has a great Friday!
2011-01-28 3:02 PM
in reply to: #3326695

User image

Denver
mquevedo - 2011-01-28 8:56 AM Beautiful day today in Texas.... really makes me want to ditch work and just go play.  Hope everyone has a great Friday!

Denver, too.  I feel a little guilty saying this given the snow shoveling posts above and references to -20 degree weather -- but it's like spring came to hang out on Friday around here.
2011-01-29 9:44 PM

Any advice on goggles? I can't seem to find a pair that is comfy, doesn't leave marks, doesn't leak, and doesn't fog up.
2011-01-30 7:18 AM

New user
Woolwich, Maine
The weather has been nice here too!  30 degrees and sunny, love it.  Another storm this week though, bring on more snow!

As for swim goggles, I had some adult size ones and they were too big (I have to buy small glasses too - I have a small face I guess).  They were set too far apart, I have speedo brand and no problems with fog.  I just got a pair of junior size ones, I haven't tried them in the pool yet but they do fit better.  I'm hoping they don' t leak like the last ones, I'm not sure there is much you can do about them leaving marks.  Good luck!
2011-01-30 7:49 AM

User image

Queens/Nassau County
Hi Ladies! Hope everyone is having a fabulous weekend. My training has been pretty lame but since it's happening at all in January in this frigid weather, I suppose I need to be happy about that.

I'm writing to post the link again to my Team For Kids Page. I'm seriously considering pulling out of this because for whatever reason, I stalled out of fundraising friends and need to raise $960 more or else I pay for the balance myself.  It's a little sad because I have a big social network but I'm starting to think people are just too strapped financially and I understand that too. Anyway, Here's that link!
http://www.runwithtfk.org/Member/PublicPage/3696

2011-01-30 3:12 PM

User image

Master
Loveland, Ohio
Sorry I've been away for a couple days. The last two work days of the week ended being about 13-hour days.

Mindy, glad you got your schedule for this year determined.

Tracy, and this is one of the reasons I like yoga (it puts you majorly in tune with your breathing), I try to take deeper than normal breaths to help center myself. I breathe in through my nose and out through my mouth. It will get easier! Oh, and Sarah's right: Snow shoveling is listed as an activity. Definitely log it.

Xandra, sorry about your sleeping schedule. Yeah, that's gotta be frustrating.

Marie, the soreness does get better...and then you start building up to longer distances and it'll come back again, for a little while. That completely sucks about the pool situation. I'd be frustrated too!

Rachel, glad you've had great success with yoga. That book is on my To Buy list, too. I follow the author (Sage Rountree) on Twitter and she does podcasts, too.

Dawn, sorry to hear about your diagnosis, but at least you can now be on a path to recovery. I've talked about it before on here, but I love ChiRunning. ChiRunning is all about moving from your core and taking quick strides with your feet behind you. This quick, 4-minute video was a big a-ha moment for me.

Hey, Sarah. I hope you end up being able to raise those funds. Sometimes the most effective way to raise money is through personal invitation. If that person gives, don't leave their home or office without 10 more names. Good luck!

Rindynote, picking out goggles can be frustrating. I was lucky that my first pair worked. When I went to replace them, I got the exact same model and they worked, too. I use Speedo Vanquishers - Competition. Some goggles are anti-fog, but it's still something we should always be prepared for. Your goggles should seal if you just place them on your face without placing the bands around your head. Typically, there is usually some kind of marking left. Out of all this, though, they should not leak. Everything else you mentioned is adjustable. Once you find a pair you like, go ahead and buy a second pair so you'll have one for training and one for race day.

Today is the last day of the challenge! Yaaaay! You've got until midnight tonight to get in some more mileage or hours, so if you're holding out, go get 'er done. Once you've done your workout for the day, go ahead and add up all your hours for me and post them here. I'll wait a couple days to make the announcement of the winner so that people who may not see this post for a while, still have a chance to enter.

Hope everyone's having a great Sunday!
2011-01-30 3:17 PM
in reply to: #3328984

User image

Long Beach, NY
rindynote - 2011-01-29 10:44 PM Any advice on goggles? I can't seem to find a pair that is comfy, doesn't leave marks, doesn't leak, and doesn't fog up.

Being a certified scuba diver for 11 years I promise you one thing...you'll never find goggles that won't leave marks!  I'm more familiar with masks, of course, but that's my experience.  The problem I think is a lot of people try on masks and goggles when their hair is dry.  Be sure to allow for that.

As for fogging, they do sell defogger drops that prevent the glass from fogging up but I go the old fashioned route...saliva.  I've found it works better than the drops.  Just spit into the goggles, swish and rinse.  If that's too gross, go with the drops :D
2011-01-30 8:38 PM

User image

Minneapolis
Hi All,
I am sorry I pretty much disappeared this past week.  Last weekend I had two days of facial nerve pain which completely freaked me out.  My chiro is getting me in with a neurologist, and I just laid low the past week. Got a couple of mild workouts in, but I have been afraid of setting something new off.

The chiro said he thought I should proceed, cautiously.  He actually thought it likely wan't related to working out, unless the general inflammation is a contributor.

Still, I have been a little gun shy.  That was very very unpleasant!!

Good to hear how everyone else is doing.  I am going to just get to the club each morning this week and do what I can.
2011-01-30 9:08 PM
in reply to: #3329916

User image

Master
Loveland, Ohio
Yeah, I've been known to do the spit into the goggles thing. Gross, but effective.

Jina, I don't blame you a bit for taking it easy. I'd be doing the same thing. I hope the neurologist has good news for you. Will be thinking about you for sure.
2011-01-30 11:05 PM
in reply to: #3329584

Challenge - 11 hrs, 13 minutes. Timing coincided with starting a new job, so had to adjust my schedule quite a bit. Nice thing is there's a fitness center at work. So the other day, I got in early, did my work out, stepped out of the shower only to realize that I had left my towel, hair dryer, and shoes at home. Dried off with paper towels. Let me hair dry naturally. And wore safety work boots all day (with my more dressier office clothes). Found it was a great ice-breaker as I am still meeting new people every day.

2011-01-30 11:07 PM

Thanks for the tips on swim goggles. Will let everyone know whether I make any progress in getting this sorted.
2011-01-31 4:19 AM
in reply to: #3330073

User image

Master
Loveland, Ohio
rindynote - 2011-01-31 12:05 AM Challenge - 11 hrs, 13 minutes. Timing coincided with starting a new job, so had to adjust my schedule quite a bit. Nice thing is there's a fitness center at work. So the other day, I got in early, did my work out, stepped out of the shower only to realize that I had left my towel, hair dryer, and shoes at home. Dried off with paper towels. Let me hair dry naturally. And wore safety work boots all day (with my more dressier office clothes). Found it was a great ice-breaker as I am still meeting new people every day.

Oh, no! I bet your heart must've sunk once you realized that. Way to make the most of the situation. Good luck with the goggles search!
2011-01-31 10:09 AM

User image

Long Beach, NY
Hey all,

I know I haven't been posting any workouts but I haven't really had time to figure out how that part of the site works.  I'm at the gym most days, yesterday wandered on the beach and am going for a swim today plus my trainer kills me once a week.  I'm hoping to start logging my workouts very soon!
2011-01-31 10:25 AM
in reply to: #3329584

User image

Denver
Challenge Tally - 15 hours : 28 minutes of training from 01/17 - 01/30. 

I've got a knee that's starting to act up so this week will be interesting.  Might be time for another visit to Dr. Doug.  He's like that old-fashioned aunt who's always reminding you to sit up straight.  I'm aways self-conscious about my posture when sitting in his office but his advice has been great in the past. 
2011-01-31 10:52 AM

User image

Queens/Nassau County
Tracy! Are you swimming in the open water NOW?!! Wow, my goodness.

GOGGLES: I need help too. The ones I bought don't leak finally (I got petite, since I am petite) but they seal too well, I guess; they suction cup my eyes so bad it looks like I have two black eyes right now and I swam six hours ago! I work in a high school; this is not acceptable LOL! I guess I have to keep shopping.

2011-01-31 10:53 AM
in reply to: #3330802

User image

Long Beach, NY
shaptavajra - 2011-01-31 11:52 AM Tracy! Are you swimming in the open water NOW?!! Wow, my goodness.

GOGGLES: I need help too. The ones I bought don't leak finally (I got petite, since I am petite) but they seal too well, I guess; they suction cup my eyes so bad it looks like I have two black eyes right now and I swam six hours ago! I work in a high school; this is not acceptable LOL! I guess I have to keep shopping.

Not yet!   Hitting the aquatic center in East Meadow tonight.  The place was actually built for Olympic qualifiers so the pool is supposed to be the closest you can get to an outdoor swim inside.
2011-01-31 1:19 PM

User image

Queens/Nassau County
East Meadow---is that the place at Eisenhower Park? That's right by my job...I'm wondering if I should get a membership?
2011-01-31 1:24 PM
in reply to: #3331196

User image

Long Beach, NY
shaptavajra - 2011-01-31 2:19 PM East Meadow---is that the place at Eisenhower Park? That's right by my job...I'm wondering if I should get a membership?

Yes, in Eisenhower Park.  It's $10 to go but you can by an annual "Leisure Pass" for $25 and then it's $5 each visit.  Regular membership was astronomical.
2011-01-31 5:38 PM

New user
Woolwich, Maine
Hi Lora,
Thanks for the video clip!  I might just look into this Chi Running thing.  PT was really good.  My hips aren't sitting correctly (they point to the right) I can actually see it in a mirror now that I'm looking for it.  We are working shifting and strengthening my left hip and if I do the exercises everyday he says  I can be running in a month.  In the mean time he showed me how to bike correctly so there is no knee pain.  I feel like there is no cardio like running... I'm looking forward to getting back at it. 

I now have my short term goal.. get better and RUN!   

Another foot or more of snow predicted here for Wednesday so up early tonight to go bike.  Loving the snow this year!
2011-01-31 6:46 PM
in reply to: #3331788

User image

San Francisco
Regarding Chi Running- I bought the book and took a half-day workshop, which really helped me out and encouraged me to think about each stride and how my body was alligned. When running now, I am constantly checking in with myself and making adjustments when things are off. I recommend checking our their workshops and/or the videos they offer.

As for goggles- I don't know that kind you have now, but they do make one specifically crafted for a woman's face. I think those might allow you to have a snugger fit and allow less leakage.

My personal update- I have been running still and doing some yoga, but have not gotten in the water or on the bike in some time. Frown 

I am also looking to join a local training group that would help motivate me to get out and active.

2011-01-31 8:00 PM

User image

Long Beach, NY
I swam tonight...yay!  What I did learn is that I should take a swim clinic to learn better breath control and technique.  Diving for so many years made me feel so comfortable breathing underwater that when I stick my head in it's way unnatural.  The guy who met up with me already took clinics and has completed several tris so he gave me some pointers but I'm definitely going to find out more techniques.

I'm sore and it's wonderful Laughing
2011-01-31 8:37 PM
in reply to: #3332031

User image

Minneapolis
That's great Tracy!Sealed
2011-02-01 6:33 AM
in reply to: #3331889

User image

I just attended a Chi Running workshop as well. It was very interesting. I also recommend looking into a workshop if you are able and want to have running as part of your life forever. It's easy to fall into bad habits when running and when you start adding the miles, your bad habits become ingrained and may eventually lead to injury. What I really liked about this technique is the postural awareness and focusing on one thing to correct, which then helps you relax other areas of your body. I keep checking my pelvic tilt now and my lean.  I must say, it is hard to work the method on a treadmill. Anyone work that out yet and have any tricks?

A question for those who have taken the workshop, is the book more helpful now? I have yet to get a copy. I'm wondering if it's worth my while?

Now if I could only get to a yoga class.

2011-02-01 10:21 AM
in reply to: #3332482

User image

Denver

Thanks everybody for all the advice on the running and workshops.  I found a clinic being held next weekend and signed up -- and it's so soon, next Saturday! 

When I swim I still hear my coaches from years ago reminding me about this aspect of form or technique but I have never had any training when it comes to running.  An asthma attack when I was young would put me down for a day or two, so I just avoided anything that would be a trigger -- and never learned good running form as a result.  When I discovered C25K last year I just decided it was time to embrace running and get over my fears about it.  I was surprised to find out how much I enjoy it.

I have worried that I'm causing my own injuries because of bad posture.  Hopefully this workshop will be just what I have been wanting.  Thanks so much for pointing me in the right direction!!Smile  I'm so excited to be going!!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Lora's Girls Group of Beginners - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 11