General Discussion Triathlon Talk » The Year is winding up...top five moments (tri and non-tri <judicously sprinkled in>) Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-12-23 11:31 PM

User image

Veteran
The Nation's Frosty Capital
Subject: The Year is winding up...top five moments (tri and non-tri <judicously sprinkled in>)
My fav five of 2010 include:

1.    Running the Timberman with a torn miniscus (sounds sexy!) and a little bit of a hangover (Friday's event). In NH, beer is cheaper than water.   It does not hydrate as well.  Slow run but I really got to know the fans!

2.    Racing Syracuse knowing I had a torn miniscus.   Cranked it on the ride knowing my finish line was T2.  I actually had medical instructions not to start the run...so the 25 + year old senior in front of me on he bike I was forever pushing knowing that me race ended 21.3 KM short of his.   I beat him into T2.   Yahhhhhhhhh!

3.   Meech Lake Triathlon.  Just an awesome race venue.  If you are ever in Ottawa (Ontario) in early July, this is an awesome sprint to do. The ride is unparalleled in all of my racing experience.
(1800m/ 22 km/ 7 km ).   Loved it and the  food afterwords was... was awesome...!!!!

4.   Watching Team Canada go down against the __________ in the finals of the Worlsd Junior Hoceky Championships.    I never saw them lose before so it registered.  And i am a hockey player first.  
5.   Double whammy. Cheating...but I am starting the thread...so feel free to do whatever needs being  done. Now I am not suggesting these athletes cheated in any way.   I was amazed to see Macca win the big one.  I figured Craig had a dynasty.  I also thought Christie was a shoe in.    Welcome  Miranda Carfree.  Good for her. Ehhhh    Hahhh.   Actually I live in a large((1 500 000)  city and that was just just a throw-a-way!

6.  Doesn't count.  So my best other does not count moment includes finishing in 2 in my age group in a local event.   I went from 3rd overall in the race after T2 to 27th overall after the finish.

Hurt in many ways.

Cheers/.

2010-12-24 12:08 AM
in reply to: #3260149

User image

Champion
Calgary
Subject: RE: The Year is winding up...top five moments (tri and non-tri <judicously sprinkled in>)
Nice.

1. February in Mexico with my wife, child, parents and Grandma, that was a good time.

2. Finishing the Sinister 7 142k ultra relay with 2 buddies.....walking uphill, in a stream for 5 hours in the middle of the night, awesome.

3. Finishing 100k Lost Soul Ultra with my dad jockstrapping, good times, 20 hours of good times.

4. Christmas, seriously, it always rocks...funny how you always forget.

5. Getting off the plane from Mexico in November, that trip sucked balls. Never so happy to be home.
2010-12-24 7:48 AM

User image

Master
Midcoast Maine
Subject: RE: The Year is winding up...top five moments (tri and non-tri <judicously sprinkled in>)
1. Finally finishing the local sprint tri (last year, I DNF'ed due to equipment failure)
2. Finishing the local OLY well under my expected time and very close to my "when the stars align" time
3. Finishing a half marathon 20 minutes faster than my goal time
4. Widening my circle of friends to include a bunch of triathletes
5. My daughters competing in their first swim meet - they started swimming because they saw me training and wanted to join...that's what this is all about for me.

Have a great one!
2010-12-24 9:09 AM

User image

Master
Columbus, Ohio
Coaching member
1. Watching the sun come up over the trees while swimming in clear, beautiful freshwater three days a week this summer.

2. Occasionally beating the guys in training.

3. Rounding the last corner into the finish chute at Rev3 Cedar Point.

4. Seeing my four-year-old son come downstairs wearing a necktie to impress the babysitter; and watching my daughter learn to read.

5. Finishing the Columbus Marathon in under 4 hours.
2010-12-24 9:49 AM

User image

Master
Mt Pleasant, SC

1 Daughter getting married on a perfect SC April afternoon

2  Son graduating from college with an EE degree

3. Son being commissioned into the Air Force

4.  My wife recovering from a burst appendix's

5. TryCharleston Sprint after recovering from knee surgery

2010-12-24 9:50 AM

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member
Fun!

1. Setting a very nice PB and not feeling like death in the last 3k of Around the Bay 30k run.  YAY!

2. Finishing the swim leg of a sprint tri with no panic/fear - i knew I was ready for my HIM and I had come so far from my city -run swim lessons

3. Running the whole run leg to finish my first HIM - it's a nasty hilly bike and run course and feeling awesome! (I had been having an issue with my heel that didn't seem like PF and had cut my run volume).  When I crossed the finish line I felt like I won the whole thing!

4. Getting married three weeks after the HIM

5. Going to Hawaii for our honeymoon - yes, it was during the IMWC and yes we purposely went to spectate. It was AWESOME (though we missed seeing the guys finish)

2010-12-24 10:16 AM

User image

Expert
1) Running the Savannah Bridge Run 10k without IT Band pain.

2) Training without IT Band pain

3) Climbing the steps to my office without IT Band pain (note the recurring theme....all of '09 and half of '10 was a wash thanks to unrelenting IT band)

4) My daughters asking to do the Savannah Bridge run with me next year. (I motivated them by telling them about the 10 year old girl who ran it in 49:55...beating me by 3 minutes) and one of my daughters asking to do a triathlon with me next year.

5) Happy healthy wife and kids in general I am very blessed (despite being 34 sec/mi slower than I was 2 years ago...the competitive side of me will NEVER die)
2010-12-24 10:20 AM
in reply to: #3260450

User image

Expert
CenTex
In no particular order...
1.  Finishing IMKY.  I was slower than hoped but I got to the end with enough in the legs to run the last 1/2 mile and smile down the finishing chute.
2.  Watching my 15 year-old sophomore start a varsity football game on the O-Line.
3.  Hearing my 10 year-old son, who is basically non-verbal, spontaneously utter a 3-word sentence that was appropriate and clearly stated.  (This one ROCKED for me!)
4.  Seeing the non-profit that my wife and I started to help families of kids w/autism get off the ground and hold public events.
5.  Get through the year with only minor injuries. 

Okay, so there is more non-tri stuff than tri-related but that was my priority this year.  (Even with my first IM in the books.)
2010-12-24 10:28 AM

User image

Champion
Tacoma, Washington

* The first time I ran a mile straight without my ankles exploding on me. It had been 2 years since I was able to run, after having foot surgery. I had made several attempts at starting over again, but the ankles just weren't having it. I thought my participation in tri was getting relegated to volunteering. They key was holding back the pace painfully slow (mentally). It was also the key to...

* Entering and completing my first tri in almost 3 years. Yeah, I felt like my "race" was done at T2, as I still had to hold the pace back to keep my ankles in line, but I did it.

* Finishing a 6-mile run. If you'd asked me a year ago if I thought I'd ever be able to do that again, I'd have said no way.

* Driving from Chicago to Seattle with LKC. In torrential rain. With twisters touching down just north of us. Finally, coming home after 3 full days on the road (or was it 4?).

* The last one is still to come on NYE...

2010-12-24 11:41 AM

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan

*Having my parents be blessedly cancer free 6 and 7 years post diagnosis

*Getting to race an IM with my buddy KathyG.  We are great friends because of BT

*Pacing Melissa (tri hard athena) at the Women's 1/2 marathon.  I can't wait to see her cross the line at IMFL next year

*This years edition of the BT Martha's Vineyard Bike Tour

*Giving up the battle of keeping my practice going and taking a new job.  Onward and upward

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » The Year is winding up...top five moments (tri and non-tri <judicously sprinkled in>) Rss Feed