BT Development Mentor Program Archives » robin314159's Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 7

2010-12-24 3:09 PM

User image

Expert
Chandler, AZ
Subject: robin314159's Group - CLOSED
WHEN CAN YOU START MENTORING CONSISTENTLY: Now

NAME: Robin314159 / Robin from Chandler, AZ (and Austin, TX)

STORY: I'm a 31 year old adventure junkie. I've been running since I was a kid, but injuries made me decide to learn how to swim, 2005. I joined BT and bought a bike shortly after. I don't take to this stuff very naturally, and I'm not quick. But like many of you, I made up my mind to do it, and persisted. Since then, I've completed a few sprints, 10 or Olympics, 6 Half Irons, and 3 Irons. I started getting into trail running ultras, rockclimbing, and crossfit as well. My last few races consisted of Silverman Half Iron, Tahoe 50k trail run, Deuceman Half Iron, Ironman St George, and Lost Dutchman Marathon.

FAMILY STATUS: Single

CURRENT TRAINING: This year is a little different for me. I recently sprained an ankle (torn ligaments and all!) in a bad paragliding landing while on vacation in Guatemala. I won't be running for a few months! Until then my focus is strength training.

THIS YEAR'S RACES: TBD.

2010 RACES: Training goals: To encourage others to succeed in triathlon. To master the pull-up and the handstand pushup.

WEIGHTLOSS: Running and triathlon helped me lose 30lbs. The next goal is to lose 10-15 lbs to aid in my pull-up goal.

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTOR: Over the last 5 years I have really enjoyed the sport of triathlon -- the camraderie and the success of meeting goals. I've been on BT the entire time, and it has been the tool that helped me the most. I really want to help & encourage others to succeed in this sport, and I believe anyone who puts their mind to it can do it! Since I spend a good amount of time on this site already, I will be around a lot to encourage through the next few months.

Edited by robin314159 2011-01-08 4:14 PM

2011-01-05 4:34 PM
in reply to: #3260751

Subject: RE: robin314159's Group - OPEN
Alright, I'm in!
I just signed up for my first triathlon at the end of June and joined up here.
Now what!?!
Stephi
2011-01-05 4:44 PM

New user

Ohio
Hello!
I just signed up for my first triathlon and would like to join the group!

kimboreeser
2011-01-05 5:09 PM

I have to stop here and say that you're an inspiration Robin, you have done or are doing everything that I aspire to do!!

robin314159 - 2010-12-23 4:09 PM WHEN CAN YOU START MENTORING CONSISTENTLY: Now NAME: Robin314159 / Robin from Chandler, AZ (and Austin, TX) STORY: I'm a 31 year old adventure junkie. I've been running since I was a kid, but injuries made me decide to learn how to swim, 2005. I joined BT and bought a bike shortly after. I don't take to this stuff very naturally, and I'm not quick. But like many of you, I made up my mind to do it, and persisted. Since then, I've completed a few sprints, 10 or Olympics, 6 Half Irons, and 3 Irons. I started getting into trail running ultras, rockclimbing, and crossfit as well. My last few races consisted of Silverman Half Iron, Tahoe 50k trail run, Deuceman Half Iron, Ironman St George, and Lost Dutchman Marathon. FAMILY STATUS: Single CURRENT TRAINING: This year is a little different for me. I recently sprained an ankle (torn ligaments and all!) in a bad paragliding landing while on vacation in Guatemala. I won't be running for a few months! Until then my focus is strength training. THIS YEAR'S RACES: TBD. 2010 RACES: Training goals: To encourage others to succeed in triathlon. To master the pull-up and the handstand pushup. WEIGHTLOSS: Running and triathlon helped me lose 30lbs. The next goal is to lose 10-15 lbs to aid in my pull-up goal. WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTOR: Over the last 5 years I have really enjoyed the sport of triathlon -- the camraderie and the success of meeting goals. I've been on BT the entire time, and it has been the tool that helped me the most. I really want to help & encourage others to succeed in this sport, and I believe anyone who puts their mind to it can do it! Since I spend a good amount of time on this site already, I will be around a lot to encourage through the next few months.
2011-01-05 6:42 PM

User image

Expert
Chandler, AZ
Hi Stephi! Hi Kimboreeser! Hi JamesJong! How's it going!?

I would love to hear more about you all.

* Name:
* Story:
* Family status:
* Current training:
* Goal(s) / Race(s) for 2011:
* Weight Loss:
2011-01-05 6:45 PM
in reply to: #3280607

User image

Expert
Chandler, AZ
jamesjong - 2011-01-05 3:09 PM

I have to stop here and say that you're an inspiration Robin, you have done or are doing everything that I aspire to do!!

Thanks! It's all a matter of time & persistence. You'll get there too...! One step at a time, right?

2011-01-05 6:47 PM
in reply to: #3280517

User image

Expert
Chandler, AZ
stephig - 2011-01-05 2:34 PM

Alright, I'm in!
I just signed up for my first triathlon at the end of June and joined up here.
Now what!?!
Stephi

Congrats, kimbo and stephi on signing up! Now for the fun part, right? Answer some of the prompts above to give me an idea where you're at. Do you guys have training plans for your races? Are you excited?! :D
2011-01-05 9:11 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Northwest Louisiana
Hi all!

Robin, I am interested in being in your group because I would love to learn from you about tri training and your thoughts on incorporating CrossFit with it. I noticed in your logs that you've been CrossFitting and you have a strong background in all things triathlons and I would love to learn from you.

I started CrossFitting in late 2009 and now I crossfit on my own at home.

I'll post my bio later!
2011-01-05 9:32 PM
in reply to: #3281063

User image

Expert
Chandler, AZ
zeefraugtries - 2011-01-05 7:11 PM

Hi all!

Robin, I am interested in being in your group because I would love to learn from you about tri training and your thoughts on incorporating CrossFit with it. I noticed in your logs that you've been CrossFitting and you have a strong background in all things triathlons and I would love to learn from you.

I started CrossFitting in late 2009 and now I crossfit on my own at home.

I'll post my bio later!

Welcome zee! That's cool you have your own crossfit setup at home. That's dedication!

Incorporating crossfit and tri training was pretty interesting, and I only got to do it for one race, so not sure I have a definitive opinion on it yet. I talk to other triathletes who do both though, and it seems the one does help the other.

I see you're doing crossfit endurance too -- I've been interested in that too. I'll like to see what you think of it as the season progresses. Once I get back to running, I'll probably give that a shot as well.
2011-01-05 9:46 PM
in reply to: #3281108

User image

Extreme Veteran
Northwest Louisiana
Welcome zee! That's cool you have your own crossfit setup at home. That's dedication! Incorporating crossfit and tri training was pretty interesting, and I only got to do it for one race, so not sure I have a definitive opinion on it yet. I talk to other triathletes who do both though, and it seems the one does help the other. I see you're doing crossfit endurance too -- I've been interested in that too. I'll like to see what you think of it as the season progresses. Once I get back to running, I'll probably give that a shot as well.

Thanks for the welcome, Robin!

I used to workout at a local affiliate, but decided to crossfit at home and just recently started doing it. It does take some dedication because it is way too easy to not finish a WOD because it hurts or its too hard.

I'm going to post my bio later, but the gist is that I've been away from triathlons for about 3 years and I'm looking to get back into it and there has been a recent discussion about doing IM Texas for 2012 with a friend of mine (who is 11 years younger than me!!) who also CrossFits.

My weakest part of triathlons is the run, which is why I've started CrossFit Endurance...today was my first real workout with it. I am excited to see how it might work.

I'm looking forward to learning from you and others in the group and perhaps restart the journey of triathlons again. My main goal is for weight loss and to maintain activity and work on my weaknesses.

Sharon aka zeefraugtries
2011-01-05 11:42 PM
in reply to: #3280763

User image

Regular
Roseville, CA
I would like to join in. I just put my name in on another group earlier in the week and it seems big and no guidance. I am looking to do my first tri in April, which I am shooting for an olympic Distance.

NAME: Brian Miller

STORY: I started training for a sprint tri 2 years ago, started out going ok, then got side tracked and gave up. I am back again and more serious this time. I am active, I run, bike, or work out on occasion but not consistant. I have a record of taking 1 step forward and 2 back.  I promised myself I would be in the best shape of my life by the time I turn 40 which is in November. Last year I started racing motocross and I wakeboard quite a bit in the summer. 

FAMILY STATUS: Married, 2 girls, 6 and 3

CURRENT TRAINING: Just started New Years day. I found a free olympic 10 week plan on another site that I plan on following and extending it a few weeks. Also, I started on Monday a boxing based workout program 3 days/week. It is a great all around core based workout. I also did this 2 years ago and got in pretty good shape. 

2011 RACES: April 10th Black Butte olympic (possibly sprint), June 18th Sacramento International Olympic, August 14th Folsom Olympic Tri then hopefully 2 more but not planned

WEIGHT LOSS: Currently 185 want to be around 165 by the time I turn 40.

Seems like you will be a good mentor, pretty impressive achievements you have. 

Edited by BMiller71 2011-01-05 11:45 PM

2011-01-05 11:54 PM

New user

Silver Lake
Hello,i'd like to join!I am Kerry from Silver Lake MNI did my first sprint tri last Aug and had a blast. (goal was to finish in top half and I finished 88 out of 264)I am 41 married with three daughters.My goal for this year is to jump to the Olympic dist and compete in a couple of them. First one is in June the trinona in MN. I am going to start using the 20 week olympic bike focused program on BT to kick off my training, will spend Jan and feb on the indoor trainer for the cycling though due to wonderful MN weather!!! Running and biking are my strong parts cuz I have more chances to do them. My swim exp has been mostly in 25-90 ft under with a tank of air on my back so I hope to improve my skills swimming on top of the water.I look forward working with someone this season, I did it alone last season and training alone can get a bit boring.My hobbies are lifelong mtnbkr, vol firefighter, S&R diver, chauffeur for three busy daughters!!!ThanksKerry
2011-01-06 9:58 AM
in reply to: #3281255

User image

Expert
Chandler, AZ
Hi Brian, welcome! My sister lives up there in Sacramento! That's such a great town to train in!

I hear you on 1 step forward, 2 steps back. I guess it's reasonable to not ALWAYS be going forward, but better if you can get it down to <1 step back, right?

It's great to have a strong goal (like a birthday) to drive you. How will you know when you're in the best shape of your life?

Are you going to do 3x/wk boxing on top of full-on olympic tri training? Sounds like that could amount to a lot once tri training picks up!

BMiller71 - 2011-01-05 9:42 PM

I would like to join in. I just put my name in on another group earlier in the week and it seems big and no guidance. I am looking to do my first tri in April, which I am shooting for an olympic Distance.

NAME: Brian Miller

STORY: I started training for a sprint tri 2 years ago, started out going ok, then got side tracked and gave up. I am back again and more serious this time. I am active, I run, bike, or work out on occasion but not consistant. I have a record of taking 1 step forward and 2 back.  I promised myself I would be in the best shape of my life by the time I turn 40 which is in November. Last year I started racing motocross and I wakeboard quite a bit in the summer. 

FAMILY STATUS: Married, 2 girls, 6 and 3

CURRENT TRAINING: Just started New Years day. I found a free olympic 10 week plan on another site that I plan on following and extending it a few weeks. Also, I started on Monday a boxing based workout program 3 days/week. It is a great all around core based workout. I also did this 2 years ago and got in pretty good shape. 

2011 RACES: April 10th Black Butte olympic (possibly sprint), June 18th Sacramento International Olympic, August 14th Folsom Olympic Tri then hopefully 2 more but not planned

WEIGHT LOSS: Currently 185 want to be around 165 by the time I turn 40.

Seems like you will be a good mentor, pretty impressive achievements you have. 
2011-01-06 10:07 AM
in reply to: #3281262

User image

Expert
Chandler, AZ
Hi Kerry, welcome!

If your strengths are biking and running, you do just about have the race covered! Awesome.

I agree on swimming with a coach. Progress/speed can come awfully slow without a coach to chime in and point out what you need to change. Are you going to join a masters class?

kvenier - 2011-01-05 9:54 PM

Hello,i'd like to join!I am Kerry from Silver Lake MNI did my first sprint tri last Aug and had a blast. (goal was to finish in top half and I finished 88 out of 264)I am 41 married with three daughters.My goal for this year is to jump to the Olympic dist and compete in a couple of them. First one is in June the trinona in MN. I am going to start using the 20 week olympic bike focused program on BT to kick off my training, will spend Jan and feb on the indoor trainer for the cycling though due to wonderful MN weather!!! Running and biking are my strong parts cuz I have more chances to do them. My swim exp has been mostly in 25-90 ft under with a tank of air on my back so I hope to improve my skills swimming on top of the water.I look forward working with someone this season, I did it alone last season and training alone can get a bit boring.My hobbies are lifelong mtnbkr, vol firefighter, S&R diver, chauffeur for three busy daughters!!!ThanksKerry
2011-01-06 10:27 AM
in reply to: #3281905

User image

Regular
Roseville, CA

Sac is great. I moved here from Chicago 10 years ago and it was one of my best decisions ever.

If I get down to 165 I think that will be the determining factor for me right now. I want to be under 15% BF, probably around 22% right now.

As far as the boxing, I am a little worried about that. I am really trying to hit the gym early in the am (which I am not a morning person, plus I start work at 7) to try and break up the work outs. Boxing is Mon, Wed, Thu at 7:00pm for 3 months. I might have gotten a little over zealous but it is a great work out and I needed a kick start. Monday is my plans rest day. Wednesday is the hard day. Supposed to bike and I am not a big fan of the gym bikes or the trainer in the garage. One thought was to do an am spin class but the plan I am following is based on keeping my heart rate down. Any thoughts on that? Thursdays are good I think, am swim and run.  

So far its been a great week and am really glad I am moving forward again.

Edited by BMiller71 2011-01-06 10:33 AM
2011-01-06 11:24 AM
in reply to: #3282018

User image

Expert
Chandler, AZ
Brian --

Here are my thoughts:

Of course it can be hard to focus full-on on 3 sports PLUS a 4th one. It's the kinda thing I try to do all the time, and I find usually I simply am not able to give 100% to all the sports. But that is ok, if that's what you like to do. (I do!)

If it was me, I would prioritize the races I had on my list for this year. Your first one is in April, but if that's just a warmup for Sac Intl & some of the other later season races, then you have some time to build a low-intensity base, right?

Then, I'd probably scale back the sport that I'm strongest in, or simply do 2x of each of the tri sports, so I could fit the boxing in. After the 3 months of boxing ended, I'd probably turn all of my energy towards tri training. During the 3 months of boxing, I'd keep all my tri sport workouts fairly low intensity. This is not only because you need to do more low intensity earlier in the season to build a base, but also to not overload myself with the boxing.

These are just some initial thoughts from afar.

2011-01-06 11:30 AM

User image

Regular
Utrecht
Hi Robin and rest of the crew. I would love to become a member of this group.

My Story in short:
Name: Stijn
Family status: Single
Current training: Started Nov 1st 2010. Going to gym about 6 times a week for Spinning (rpm), Running (indoor and outdoor), swimming. All without real structure, but with great fun. Looking to put in at least 6 training sessions a week, balanced on all 3 disciplines.
Goals for 2011: Lose 60 lbs by Octobre, run first tri (sprint) July 10th in my hometown
Weightloss: Lost 40 lbs since all time high, 20 lbs since November 1st 2010. Aiming for 200lbs by Octobre. So basically I plan to lose a total of 100lbs.
Story: After recovering from a burnout I've decided during a holiday last Octobre to turn things around. This let to me quit smoking and start with a complete new lifestyle as of November 1st. Main goal at the start was to just lose weight. As just losing weight is kinda boring I've extended the challange by adding the goal of running a sprint tri by July. In my search for a solid training plan I've registered here today. My sport background is mainly American Football which I played for about 5 years (tackle on the O-line). After I had to quit the game I picked up officiating which I have been doing for about 6 year (Mainly Referee and Umpire).
What I'm looking for: 1st of all a place where I can share my enthusiasm for this sport and the training for it. 2nd I feel like I have a bulk load of questions on how to prepair for the first tri. And prolly there are only more to come (both questions and tri's)
What I can bring to the table: Enthousiasm and motivation

Looking to getting to know you all better soon. For now drive back home from work and get ready for a session on the treadmill. weeee

Stijn
2011-01-06 11:58 AM

Hi Robin, My name is Darlene and I have decided to complete at least one tri this summer.  I have been an athlete all my life but recently just had surgery for a rotator cuff tear.  My training will be limited for the next couple of months but I want to stay motivated on my goal of doing triathlons therefore I am looking for a mentor to keep me focused.  I have completed a duathalon so I have to say swimming is my weak spot.  With my injury I can do some biking and running and once I get the okay swimming will be good rehab for me.  Any words of advice would be great.  Also, how long would you say you need to train before completing a tri.  Thanks
2011-01-06 12:54 PM
in reply to: #3281936

New user

Silver Lake

Hi Robyn,

I never thought of taking a swim class, what is a masters class.  I was just planning to swim lots of laps at the indoor pool, because last year I did my swim training at a lake but it was tough cuz I was always swimming for a set time and I never had an idea of the distance I covered until it was event day.  That plus the shock of swimming in a group was difficult to adjust to.

Thanks

KV

2011-01-06 1:37 PM
in reply to: #3282248

User image

Regular
Roseville, CA

@robin

good points to think about. The first race is definitely a base setting, getting started, just finish  race. Also, last year I saw the weather was 50, raining, and water temp 50 so if that is the case I think I will pass just because I don't want my first one to be in those conditions. There are quite a few sprints and a few other olympics in the area through out the year. The other one's I listed are one's I really want to be able to hit hard.

My weekest by far is swiming so that is my main focus. I plan on getting a couple of weeks under my belt, then hit a a few classes that is offered at my gym but at another location. Right now its Youtube videos and getting some kind of base established.

2011-01-06 4:53 PM
in reply to: #3282018

User image

Regular
Utrecht
One thought was to do an am spin class but the plan I am following is based on keeping my heart rate down. Any thoughts on that?

Not sure if you have the same issue as me in not being all that good in pacing yourself. If so the thing I do might be challenging a bit. I currently do 3 spin classes a week (mon, wed, fri). As getting into the rythm of a training program my friday session is my easy bike training. I told the instructor about this (just because I would feel obligated to give a 100% otherwise) And then I just pace myself: Meaning no pyramids, jumps or other high intensity excersises, and going easy on the resistence.

Other options could be:
- Get a 2nd hand bike to make tours around the block
- Go on an spinning bike when there is no class. Maybe set up a basic low intensity training with a instructeur at the gym and find matching music for on a mp3 player.

All is better than using the gym bikes in my opinion. Those are just set up wrong leaving your body in a weird position while biking.  

Good luck!!

Stijn

2011-01-06 6:44 PM
in reply to: #3282272

User image

Expert
Chandler, AZ
Hi, welcome, Stijn! We now have 3 continents represented in our group! Whoop!

That is impressive accomplishment on the weight loss front so far - and a great goal! Fire away on any questions as you have them. Have you found the training plan you were looking for?

Glad to have you in the group.

2011-01-06 6:49 PM
in reply to: #3282344

User image

Expert
Chandler, AZ
DKusaywa - 2011-01-06 9:58 AM

Hi Robin, My name is Darlene and I have decided to complete at least one tri this summer.  I have been an athlete all my life but recently just had surgery for a rotator cuff tear.  My training will be limited for the next couple of months but I want to stay motivated on my goal of doing triathlons therefore I am looking for a mentor to keep me focused.  I have completed a duathalon so I have to say swimming is my weak spot.  With my injury I can do some biking and running and once I get the okay swimming will be good rehab for me.  Any words of advice would be great.  Also, how long would you say you need to train before completing a tri.  Thanks

Hi Darlene, welcome on board. Have you done any swimming in the past?

Length it takes to train varies, based on where you're starting from, and the distance of the tri. If you're going for a sprint tri, and already have the bike and run down, then it could be as little as 2 months, if you can get your swim going in that amount of time.

On average, I usually train about 4 months prior to a race, and longer, for longer distances.

Edited by robin314159 2011-01-06 7:02 PM
2011-01-06 6:53 PM
in reply to: #3282502

User image

Expert
Chandler, AZ
Masters class is like a swim team for grown-ups. You have a coach who sets the workout each time you meet, and often gives advice on your swimming. It can sometimes cost about $30-40/mo.

That's pretty nice you were able to do all open water swimming last year! A lot of us are stuck in a lap pool til we get to swim in a lake!

kvenier - 2011-01-06 10:54 AM

Hi Robyn,

I never thought of taking a swim class, what is a masters class.  I was just planning to swim lots of laps at the indoor pool, because last year I did my swim training at a lake but it was tough cuz I was always swimming for a set time and I never had an idea of the distance I covered until it was event day.  That plus the shock of swimming in a group was difficult to adjust to.

Thanks

KV

2011-01-06 7:00 PM
in reply to: #3283113

User image

Expert
Chandler, AZ
Niezels - 2011-01-06 2:53 PM

One thought was to do an am spin class but the plan I am following is based on keeping my heart rate down. Any thoughts on that?

All is better than using the gym bikes in my opinion. Those are just set up wrong leaving your body in a weird position while biking. 

Agreed. Not sure if this is a stretch, but I've had luck with meeting a friend in her garage for 6am trainer rides. It's kinda like creating your own, low intensity, social spin class.

Edited by robin314159 2011-01-06 7:00 PM
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » robin314159's Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 7