BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Ryan and Mike's beginner group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 23

2011-03-25 10:10 PM
in reply to: #3415004

User image

Regular
Allen, TX
Subject: RE: Help

Jaime1017 - 2011-03-25 8:36 PM

Ok question for everyone..best explanation is in the picture. Under my left knee there is a muscle that is bulging, gave me major problems that day. I have always thought it was shin splints, didn't realize till I saw this pic that its not down my shin. Any ideas?.

I think this might be your IT Band - I've had issues with that as well.  It basically goes over your muscles from your hip on the outside of your thigh and then crosses over your leg just under your knee, where it connects.  Google "IT Band" or "ITBS" and see if some of the symptoms sound familiar.  Then go buy a foam roller and get to know it well - that is the best thing I've found that works for me.

Good luck.

2011-03-26 7:53 PM
in reply to: #3415058

User image

Orlando, Fl
Thanks for the information! I will check it out.
2011-03-27 7:37 AM
in reply to: #3415058

User image

Extreme Veteran
metro DC
rhetts - 2011-03-25 11:10 PM

Jaime1017 - 2011-03-25 8:36 PM

Ok question for everyone..best explanation is in the picture. Under my left knee there is a muscle that is bulging, gave me major problems that day. I have always thought it was shin splints, didn't realize till I saw this pic that its not down my shin. Any ideas?.

I think this might be your IT Band - I've had issues with that as well.  It basically goes over your muscles from your hip on the outside of your thigh and then crosses over your leg just under your knee, where it connects.  Google "IT Band" or "ITBS" and see if some of the symptoms sound familiar.  Then go buy a foam roller and get to know it well - that is the best thing I've found that works for me.

Good luck.

love my foam roller

2011-03-28 12:41 PM
in reply to: #3260767

User image

Master
St. Louis
Subject: RE: Ryan and Mike's beginner group - CLOSED
Victoria has her first tri coming up this weekend.  Go Victoria! You are going to crush this race!
2011-03-28 4:30 PM
in reply to: #3415028

User image

Central Oregon
MarlaS - 2011-03-25 7:00 PM
Brightbow - 2011-03-25 10:41 AM

My husband and I listened to that in the car, Marla. So funny.

I went for a bike ride outside for the first time in quite a while the other day. It was cold. It's not like running. When you run it might be cold for the first half mile, but then you warm up pretty quickly.

I feel like I need to be out on my bike every day until my race to get comfortable with it... but then today it is actually snowing here!

SNOWING?! YEESH! Hope you had snow tires for the bike

Supposed to snow here this weekend, too. Isn't that just nuts! Makes that race name of yours that much more ironic, eh?

Marla- I am going to crack up laughing when I think of you making fun of the race name... It will be a little warmer there than it is here. There it rains. Here it snows. Snowed today in fact. It melted by early morn so I went for a quick ride to test out my clothes.

Mike- Thanks! Next up is Rhett and then you and Ryan, right?

Jamie- How did your 6 mile race go? Details please.

2011-03-28 5:24 PM
in reply to: #3418595

User image

Regular
Allen, TX
Subject: Race day in less than 2 weeks

Oh crap, race day is less than 2 weeks away and I am tapering off the training. I am as ready as I'm going to be - best thing is that it will be a PR no matter what as long as I finish - the absolute best thing about first timers.

Went out for an open water swim this weekend in a local lake to try out swimming with a wetsuit.  Growing up around water my entire life, I never really had the urge to jump in when it wasn't comfortable (temperature wise) to do so.  I was the only one swimming at the lake, and some fishermen looked at me rather strange as I waded in and put on goggles and a swim cap.  Planned on doing 2000 meters, but ran into some underwater brush and stumps at about 500 meters in, which freaked me out a little.  Decided that I had enough practice and turned around.  Overall, it was much easier to swim with the wetsuit, as it made you float much easier.  If I could have had some support, maybe I could have had the full OWS experience like these guys:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_6tOzt-nfM

Awesome clip, I laugh every time I see it.

Edited by rhetts 2011-03-28 5:25 PM

2011-03-28 5:49 PM
in reply to: #3418675

User image

Extreme Veteran
metro DC
Subject: RE: Race day in less than 2 weeks
rhetts - 2011-03-28 6:24 PM

Oh crap, race day is less than 2 weeks away and I am tapering off the training. I am as ready as I'm going to be - best thing is that it will be a PR no matter what as long as I finish - the absolute best thing about first timers.

Went out for an open water swim this weekend in a local lake to try out swimming with a wetsuit.  Growing up around water my entire life, I never really had the urge to jump in when it wasn't comfortable (temperature wise) to do so.  I was the only one swimming at the lake, and some fishermen looked at me rather strange as I waded in and put on goggles and a swim cap.  Planned on doing 2000 meters, but ran into some underwater brush and stumps at about 500 meters in, which freaked me out a little.  Decided that I had enough practice and turned around.  Overall, it was much easier to swim with the wetsuit, as it made you float much easier.  If I could have had some support, maybe I could have had the full OWS experience like these guys:

it ain't that far off, lol!

i'm ok in lakes, but i would've been skeeved by stuff in the water while swimming more/less solo. you feel ready for your race?

2011-03-28 5:51 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
metro DC
Brightbow - 2011-03-28 5:30 PM
MarlaS - 2011-03-25 7:00 PM [

Marla- I am going to crack up laughing when I think of you making fun of the race name... It will be a little warmer there than it is here. There it rains. Here it snows. Snowed today in fact. It melted by early morn so I went for a quick ride to test out my clothes.

GOOD! Cool Laughter's a great antidote for just about anything, IMHO... Hope your clothes fared well...and that you feel ready! At least you won't have to worry about wanting to melt from the heat!

2011-03-28 7:46 PM
in reply to: #3418675

User image

Master
St. Louis
Subject: RE: Race day in less than 2 weeks
rhetts - 2011-03-28 5:24 PM

That video is great.  I plan to count to 20 before starting and staying wide.  I don't like full contact swimming.

2011-03-29 9:17 AM

Veteran
I didn't ever think our race could possibly be NON wetsuit legal, YIPPIEEEE.  Mike is talking about full contact swimming.  I figure my wave 25-29(a-m) will get crazy, all us younger guys going in at the same time, no one will want to TAKE IT EASY.  I think Mike's plan is a very good one(even though I won't do the same haha)  In a perfect world, It could happen that Mike and I see each other at mile 10/11 BUT thats in a perfect world.
2011-03-29 7:21 PM

User image

Orlando, Fl
Good luck to everyone with races coming up this weekend.... my 6 mile walk/run went well last Sat. I walked the first mile with my mom and then ran 3 mins/ walked 1 min for the next 5.25 miles. This has been my farthest run yet.

2011-03-30 7:33 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicagoland
I did my first day of tri training yesterday.  It was a 15 minute run.  I did 5 minutes of walking and then 1 min jogging/2 min walking for the rest of the time.  I was pretty shocked that I was able to do it.  It was the most I've been able to ever consistently jog.  I then did my 45 minute circuit workout.  My hip is a little sore this morning but I feel good.
2011-03-31 12:42 PM
in reply to: #3421044

User image

Master
St. Louis

tricupcake - 2011-03-30 7:33 AM I did my first day of tri training yesterday.  It was a 15 minute run.  I did 5 minutes of walking and then 1 min jogging/2 min walking for the rest of the time.  I was pretty shocked that I was able to do it.  It was the most I've been able to ever consistently jog.  I then did my 45 minute circuit workout.  My hip is a little sore this morning but I feel good.

That's awesome!  Keep us posted about your progress.

2011-03-31 2:11 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicagoland
Day 2 of training was good.  A 5 mile bike which was harder than I thought it was going to be but I survived. 

However, I have hit a potential roadblock.  I went to the podiatrist and he said we need to start talking about cortisone shots.  He explained the process to me and said that after the shot, I would need to be in a boot for at least a week and we might have to do several rounds of shots.  He also said after the shots, I wouldn't be able to train.  I was devastated.  I think he could tell because he said we would give it another month.  In that month, I have to wear the boot anytime I am walking or standing.  I walked out of the doctor's office with tears in my eyes.  I am super excited about these races.  I know it won't be the end of the world if I don't get to do them but I am afraid that if I don't, I will stall out and go back to being a couch potato.
2011-03-31 3:47 PM

Veteran
Good Luck in racing this weekend!!!!
2011-03-31 5:03 PM
in reply to: #3423821

User image

Master
St. Louis

tricupcake - 2011-03-31 2:11 PM Day 2 of training was good.  A 5 mile bike which was harder than I thought it was going to be but I survived. 

However, I have hit a potential roadblock.  I went to the podiatrist and he said we need to start talking about cortisone shots.  He explained the process to me and said that after the shot, I would need to be in a boot for at least a week and we might have to do several rounds of shots.  He also said after the shots, I wouldn't be able to train.  I was devastated.  I think he could tell because he said we would give it another month.  In that month, I have to wear the boot anytime I am walking or standing.  I walked out of the doctor's office with tears in my eyes.  I am super excited about these races.  I know it won't be the end of the world if I don't get to do them but I am afraid that if I don't, I will stall out and go back to being a couch potato.

What is the diagnosis?

2011-03-31 10:57 PM
in reply to: #3421044

User image

Extreme Veteran
metro DC

tricupcake - 2011-03-30 8:33 AM I did my first day of tri training yesterday.  It was a 15 minute run.  I did 5 minutes of walking and then 1 min jogging/2 min walking for the rest of the time.  I was pretty shocked that I was able to do it.  It was the most I've been able to ever consistently jog.  I then did my 45 minute circuit workout.  My hip is a little sore this morning but I feel good.

That's great! (the fact that you did it, not the little sore part, lol)..and I bet it feels good! You can be my role model now...hope to get released to get back at that stuff soon.....

2011-04-01 7:27 AM
in reply to: #3424238

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicagoland
ransick - 2011-03-31 5:03 PM

What is the diagnosis?

I've had Plantar Faciitis for about 12 weeks now.  It was my reward for getting back to the gym in January.  Doc says there might be some bursitis or other inflammation which the cortisone shots would help.  I just can't afford 2 weeks off of my 11 week training plan.  Although, if I did have to take time off, it would probably be better to take the first two weeks off rather than weeks 5 and 6.  Anyone have any advice on this?  I'm ready to tell him that I will wear this boot until July 18 except for training and races and then let him do whatever he wants.  But I don't know if I'm risking further injury doing it that way.

I'm kind of laughing right now because at no time in my life have I ever been stressed about an injury.  Other than being mildly annoying, it never has interfered with any of my daily activities.  Now I'm stressing cause there might be a chance I can't train or race.  It's amazing how things have changed for me over the past few years
2011-04-01 1:00 PM
in reply to: #3424887

User image

Master
St. Louis
tricupcake - 2011-04-01 7:27 AM
ransick - 2011-03-31 5:03 PM

What is the diagnosis?

I've had Plantar Faciitis for about 12 weeks now.  It was my reward for getting back to the gym in January.  Doc says there might be some bursitis or other inflammation which the cortisone shots would help.  I just can't afford 2 weeks off of my 11 week training plan.  Although, if I did have to take time off, it would probably be better to take the first two weeks off rather than weeks 5 and 6.  Anyone have any advice on this?  I'm ready to tell him that I will wear this boot until July 18 except for training and races and then let him do whatever he wants.  But I don't know if I'm risking further injury doing it that way.

I'm kind of laughing right now because at no time in my life have I ever been stressed about an injury.  Other than being mildly annoying, it never has interfered with any of my daily activities.  Now I'm stressing cause there might be a chance I can't train or race.  It's amazing how things have changed for me over the past few years

I self diagnosed pf a couple years ago and found a home remedy of standing on softballs.  Buy a couple at Walmart then at night while you are watching tv or surfing the net, roll them with the bottom of yoru feet.  You'll find tender areas, roll those even more.    Then start standing on them for a few seconds supporting your weight leaning on a table or counter (it will hurt badly).  Do it a little more each day and after a few weeks or months, you'll be able to do it pain free.  It worked for me, YMMV.

2011-04-02 7:44 AM

User image

Subject: indoor tri
It's been awhile but I did my first indoor tri and got first place in my age division.  It been hard to log my training but I continue to do what I can. Can someone again suggest a wet suit?
2011-04-02 8:41 AM
in reply to: #3426329

User image

Master
St. Louis
Subject: RE: indoor tri

_T2_ - 2011-04-02 7:44 AM It's been awhile but I did my first indoor tri and got first place in my age division.  It been hard to log my training but I continue to do what I can. Can someone again suggest a wet suit?

Congrats on doing your first tri and getting first in your division!  I've had good luck with Xterra wetsuits ?(the low end Vortex 4).  They have half off sales all the time.    They have them so often, customer service would probably tell you the latest code or the next time they will be half off. 

2011-04-02 12:13 PM
in reply to: #3423821

User image

Extreme Veteran
metro DC

tricupcake - 2011-03-31 3:11 PM Day 2 of training was good.  A 5 mile bike which was harder than I thought it was going to be but I survived. 

That's got to be so discouraging.... will he let you swim with a pull buoy? & can you get something that's waterproof to help stabilize it too? That's what I've done through my ankle sprain (air cast + pull buoy) & now with my hip, and at least I'm able to do something that way.....& would he let you do pool running with a belt? That would be non-weight bearing....

2011-04-02 12:17 PM
in reply to: #3426392

User image

Extreme Veteran
metro DC
Subject: RE: indoor tri
ransick - 2011-04-02 9:41 AM

_T2_ - 2011-04-02 7:44 AM It's been awhile but I did my first indoor tri and got first place in my age division.  It been hard to log my training but I continue to do what I can. Can someone again suggest a wet suit?

Congrats on doing your first tri and getting first in your division!  I've had good luck with Xterra wetsuits ?(the low end Vortex 4).  They have half off sales all the time.    They have them so often, customer service would probably tell you the latest code or the next time they will be half off. 

x2 - that's great!

Ditto for Xterra, too - customer service is phenomenal. I've written about them on BT before, and you just can't beat their service and willingness to work with you to find a suit that suits your needs, or problem-solve if necessary....if you have questions & want to talk to someone there, message me & I can give you some contact info there....

2011-04-03 8:24 PM

User image

Central Oregon

Hi guys! I have been reading everyone's updates... great job on the tri Thomas and also to Kim on your bike ride! I hope you are able to work around your injury somewhat like Marla was suggesting.

My first tri was on Saturday. It was fun! I had some surprises- my swim time was pretty good for me, I didn't need to rest at all on the wall, which is interesting... my husband video taped part of the swim and there is so much wrong with my form I can't even begin to explain it. LOL I guess that means I have a lot of room to get better then! Time was 11:20 for 500 yards.

T1 time was 6:30. Crazy, but, anyway, moving on...

I was really surprised b/c the bike portion was my favorite part of the race. I was not scared at all and I was happy with my time. There was one irritating portion where I kept passing a girl and then she would pass me back... I guess it made it interesting though! Time was 45:36 for 12 miles.

T2 was 2:32 I'm really glad I had elastic laces in b/c (just like Jamie mentioned) I could not feel my feet or my fingers! I think a good transition practice for this race would be to soak hands and feet in an ice bath until they are numb and then try to get ready for the run!

On the run I felt like I was doing 10 minute miles. It took about 1 mile before I could feel all of my toes again. There was an interesting part where two bus loads of non-American students lined the run path, not to mention runners sometimes running two wide on the sidewalk. I'm not used to obstacles like that. I was really surprised at my time, 24:32 for the 5K. Actually a really good time for me.

So the total time was 1:30:32. If it was this much fun in 44 degree weather, I think I will be elated for the summer temps. I like hot weather.

I have some technical questions I will ask later...

2011-04-03 8:59 PM
in reply to: #3428003

User image

Master
St. Louis
Brightbow - 2011-04-03 8:24 PM

Hi guys! I have been reading everyone's updates... great job on the tri Thomas and also to Kim on your bike ride! I hope you are able to work around your injury somewhat like Marla was suggesting.

My first tri was on Saturday. It was fun! I had some surprises- my swim time was pretty good for me, I didn't need to rest at all on the wall, which is interesting... my husband video taped part of the swim and there is so much wrong with my form I can't even begin to explain it. LOL I guess that means I have a lot of room to get better then! Time was 11:20 for 500 yards.

T1 time was 6:30. Crazy, but, anyway, moving on...

I was really surprised b/c the bike portion was my favorite part of the race. I was not scared at all and I was happy with my time. There was one irritating portion where I kept passing a girl and then she would pass me back... I guess it made it interesting though! Time was 45:36 for 12 miles.

T2 was 2:32 I'm really glad I had elastic laces in b/c (just like Jamie mentioned) I could not feel my feet or my fingers! I think a good transition practice for this race would be to soak hands and feet in an ice bath until they are numb and then try to get ready for the run!

On the run I felt like I was doing 10 minute miles. It took about 1 mile before I could feel all of my toes again. There was an interesting part where two bus loads of non-American students lined the run path, not to mention runners sometimes running two wide on the sidewalk. I'm not used to obstacles like that. I was really surprised at my time, 24:32 for the 5K. Actually a really good time for me.

So the total time was 1:30:32. If it was this much fun in 44 degree weather, I think I will be elated for the summer temps. I like hot weather.

I have some technical questions I will ask later...

Awesome!  Were you grinning form ear to ear when you finished?

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Ryan and Mike's beginner group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 23