BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Ryan and Mike's beginner group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 23

2011-04-04 8:07 AM
in reply to: #3260767

Veteran
Subject: RE: Ryan and Mike's beginner group - CLOSED
VERY NICE!!!  Thats a good time for your first tri. You already have a great run, and know you have area's to shave time, congrats!!!

2011-04-04 1:48 PM
in reply to: #3428003

Brightbow - 2011-04-03 9:24 PM

Hi guys! I have been reading everyone's updates... great job on the tri Thomas and also to Kim on your bike ride! I hope you are able to work around your injury somewhat like Marla was suggesting.

My first tri was on Saturday. It was fun! I had some surprises- my swim time was pretty good for me, I didn't need to rest at all on the wall, which is interesting... my husband video taped part of the swim and there is so much wrong with my form I can't even begin to explain it. LOL I guess that means I have a lot of room to get better then! Time was 11:20 for 500 yards.

T1 time was 6:30. Crazy, but, anyway, moving on...

I was really surprised b/c the bike portion was my favorite part of the race. I was not scared at all and I was happy with my time. There was one irritating portion where I kept passing a girl and then she would pass me back... I guess it made it interesting though! Time was 45:36 for 12 miles.

T2 was 2:32 I'm really glad I had elastic laces in b/c (just like Jamie mentioned) I could not feel my feet or my fingers! I think a good transition practice for this race would be to soak hands and feet in an ice bath until they are numb and then try to get ready for the run!

On the run I felt like I was doing 10 minute miles. It took about 1 mile before I could feel all of my toes again. There was an interesting part where two bus loads of non-American students lined the run path, not to mention runners sometimes running two wide on the sidewalk. I'm not used to obstacles like that. I was really surprised at my time, 24:32 for the 5K. Actually a really good time for me.

So the total time was 1:30:32. If it was this much fun in 44 degree weather, I think I will be elated for the summer temps. I like hot weather.

I have some technical questions I will ask later...

Nice Job!! Congrats!!

2011-04-04 1:53 PM
in reply to: #3426329

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicagoland
Subject: RE: indoor tri
_T2_ - 2011-04-02 7:44 AM It's been awhile but I did my first indoor tri and got first place in my age division.  It been hard to log my training but I continue to do what I can. Can someone again suggest a wet suit?

Congrats!
2011-04-04 1:53 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicagoland
Congrats on your first tri Brightbow!
2011-04-04 5:57 PM
in reply to: #3426329

User image

Master
St. Louis

_T2_ - 2011-04-02 7:44 AM It's been awhile but I did my first indoor tri and got first place in my age division.  It been hard to log my training but I continue to do what I can. Can someone again suggest a wet suit?

Just got an email from xterra wetsuits.  The Vortex 3 is 60% off.  This is the suit I have.

2011-04-04 8:02 PM
in reply to: #3428003

User image

Orlando, Fl
Great job on your first tri.... The cold weather is a killer, so happy I dont have to worry about that one again till next year. Its nice and warm here now.

2011-04-05 6:16 PM
in reply to: #3429175

User image

Extreme Veteran
metro DC
paygilr - 2011-04-04 2:48 PM
Brightbow - 2011-04-03 9:24 PM

Hi guys! I have been reading everyone's updates... great job on the tri Thomas and also to Kim on your bike ride! I hope you are able to work around your injury somewhat like Marla was suggesting.

My first tri was on Saturday. It was fun! I had some surprises- my swim time was pretty good for me, I didn't need to rest at all on the wall, which is interesting... my husband video taped part of the swim and there is so much wrong with my form I can't even begin to explain it. LOL I guess that means I have a lot of room to get better then! Time was 11:20 for 500 yards.

T1 time was 6:30. Crazy, but, anyway, moving on...

I was really surprised b/c the bike portion was my favorite part of the race. I was not scared at all and I was happy with my time. There was one irritating portion where I kept passing a girl and then she would pass me back... I guess it made it interesting though! Time was 45:36 for 12 miles.

T2 was 2:32 I'm really glad I had elastic laces in b/c (just like Jamie mentioned) I could not feel my feet or my fingers! I think a good transition practice for this race would be to soak hands and feet in an ice bath until they are numb and then try to get ready for the run!

On the run I felt like I was doing 10 minute miles. It took about 1 mile before I could feel all of my toes again. There was an interesting part where two bus loads of non-American students lined the run path, not to mention runners sometimes running two wide on the sidewalk. I'm not used to obstacles like that. I was really surprised at my time, 24:32 for the 5K. Actually a really good time for me.

So the total time was 1:30:32. If it was this much fun in 44 degree weather, I think I will be elated for the summer temps. I like hot weather.

I have some technical questions I will ask later...

Nice Job!! Congrats!!

I'm such a wuss... I'm always hot, but can't imagine racing in weather that cold, either! My first tri was literally 100 degrees, and it was all I could do to keep my bra filled with ice (really helped, btw).

Sounds like a great race for you, which is awesome (and what a great advantage to have the swim video to figure out what you can do to improve). I'd take that run time any day!

Hope it was fun, too!

2011-04-08 9:40 AM

User image

Central Oregon
Rhett has a race coming up this weekend! How are you feeling Rhett? Everything ready to go?
2011-04-08 11:08 AM
in reply to: #3426392

User image

Thanks
2011-04-09 10:22 AM
in reply to: #3435953

User image

Extreme Veteran
metro DC

Brightbow - 2011-04-08 10:40 AM Rhett has a race coming up this weekend! How are you feeling Rhett? Everything ready to go?

good luck!

2011-04-09 8:18 PM
in reply to: #3437461

User image

Regular
Allen, TX
MarlaS - 2011-04-09 10:22 AM

Brightbow - 2011-04-08 10:40 AM Rhett has a race coming up this weekend! How are you feeling Rhett? Everything ready to go?

good luck!

I am in Galveston, so no turning back now! Thanks for the well wishes and I'll let you know how it goes!

2011-04-09 8:49 PM
in reply to: #3438040

User image

Master
St. Louis
Good luck!  Can't wait to read the race report.
2011-04-10 5:29 PM
in reply to: #3438075

User image

Orlando, Fl
How did it go?
2011-04-11 10:07 PM
in reply to: #3438834

User image

Regular
Allen, TX

Jaime1017 - 2011-04-10 5:29 PM How did it go?

Sorry for the delay, but it went great!! Better than I expected, by at least 15 minutes.  I finished in 6:15 and I was hoping to finish in 6:30.  I will be filling out a full race report when I get the time in the next day or so, but here's the short report:

I went into the water at 7:50 and it was pretty cool, cause the announcer was really getting people hyped up by saying "for all you first timers, you are about to join an elite club of individuals known as Ironman!" Calling people's names out and and all sorts of things...... music was blaring and then the gun went off.  My swim was very good for me, tried to definitely pace myself and not go all out. finished in 39:17 and felt extremely well exiting the water and on to the bike.

The wind was pretty brutal on the bike, even though it wasn't head on, it was around 20-25 mph crosswind going slightly against you on the way out and slightly with you on the way back.  I averaged 16.25 mph on the way out, and 19.66 on the way back, which averaged to 17.79 mph for the entire bike, which is very good for me.  Again, I felt really good getting off the bike.

Going into the run, I had high hopes of beating my previous half mary time of 2:03, as I felt pretty good.  Here is where the wheels fell off, sort of.  I just couldn't keep the run going, and had to just do a run/walk combo, nothing formal, just ran until I felt like I had to walk and walked a bit.  I just kept doing that and figured that I'd get there when I got there.  Overall, I kept up a 10:38 mile pace and was happy with that.

Overall, I couldn't be happier - I went 6 minutes under where I wanted to be on the swim, and 20 minutes under where I expected to be on the bike, and although I went 10 minutes over where I wanted to be on the run, I was very happy with the whole race.  I should have drank more on the bike, as I ran out of water/gatorade twice.  I only have two bottle cages on my bike and could have used four, and i should have brought the cheap ones with me that I was willing to toss at the water/nutrition stations.  I had my polar bottles and didn't want to toss them and replace with water/gatorade bottles.  Next time, I will have one of the wings on the back of my seat, which would give me two additional places to hold hydration, or just go out with regular gatorade or water bottles that I'd toss and replace at the aid stations.  Oh well, chalk it up to me being a newbie and too cheap to throw away my nice water bottles.

Good luck to Ryan and Mike this weekend in NOLA, and whoever else is coming up next.

2011-04-11 11:01 PM
in reply to: #3441383

User image

Master
St. Louis
rhetts - 2011-04-11 10:07 PM

Sorry for the delay, but it went great!! Better than I expected, by at least 15 minutes.  I finished in 6:15 and I was hoping to finish in 6:30.  I will be filling out a full race report when I get the time in the next day or so, but here's the short report:

I went into the water at 7:50 and it was pretty cool, cause the announcer was really getting people hyped up by saying "for all you first timers, you are about to join an elite club of individuals known as Ironman!" Calling people's names out and and all sorts of things...... music was blaring and then the gun went off.  My swim was very good for me, tried to definitely pace myself and not go all out. finished in 39:17 and felt extremely well exiting the water and on to the bike.

The wind was pretty brutal on the bike, even though it wasn't head on, it was around 20-25 mph crosswind going slightly against you on the way out and slightly with you on the way back.  I averaged 16.25 mph on the way out, and 19.66 on the way back, which averaged to 17.79 mph for the entire bike, which is very good for me.  Again, I felt really good getting off the bike.

Going into the run, I had high hopes of beating my previous half mary time of 2:03, as I felt pretty good.  Here is where the wheels fell off, sort of.  I just couldn't keep the run going, and had to just do a run/walk combo, nothing formal, just ran until I felt like I had to walk and walked a bit.  I just kept doing that and figured that I'd get there when I got there.  Overall, I kept up a 10:38 mile pace and was happy with that.

Overall, I couldn't be happier - I went 6 minutes under where I wanted to be on the swim, and 20 minutes under where I expected to be on the bike, and although I went 10 minutes over where I wanted to be on the run, I was very happy with the whole race.  I should have drank more on the bike, as I ran out of water/gatorade twice.  I only have two bottle cages on my bike and could have used four, and i should have brought the cheap ones with me that I was willing to toss at the water/nutrition stations.  I had my polar bottles and didn't want to toss them and replace with water/gatorade bottles.  Next time, I will have one of the wings on the back of my seat, which would give me two additional places to hold hydration, or just go out with regular gatorade or water bottles that I'd toss and replace at the aid stations.  Oh well, chalk it up to me being a newbie and too cheap to throw away my nice water bottles.

Good luck to Ryan and Mike this weekend in NOLA, and whoever else is coming up next.

Congrats Rhett!  Impressive time and way to beat your goal! You should definitely be proud of your accomplishment.  I read somewhere that the run time for a HM during a HIM is around 20 percent longer than a stand alone HM and you blew that away.  Way to go!

How do you feel today?

2011-04-12 6:59 AM

Veteran

Congrats Rhett's!!!!

I guess MIke and I will try and join in the fun this weekend.  I can tell you THIS guy is getting pretty nervous!!!   Not for sure your schedule while down there, but I know Mike and I, maybe a few others are going to try and meet up, atleast to say HI.

2011-04-12 3:42 PM
in reply to: #3441383

User image

Extreme Veteran
metro DC
rhetts - 2011-04-11 11:07 PM

congratulations! that sounds great - so glad you're happy with it too; pleasing ourselves is the biggest hurdle (or at least it is for me!)

2011-04-12 3:43 PM
in reply to: #3441621

User image

Extreme Veteran
metro DC
bigr82 - 2011-04-12 7:59 AM

Congrats Rhett's!!!!

I guess MIke and I will try and join in the fun this weekend.  I can tell you THIS guy is getting pretty nervous!!!   Not for sure your schedule while down there, but I know Mike and I, maybe a few others are going to try and meet up, atleast to say HI.

you know we'll all be thinking of y'all....

2011-04-12 7:56 PM
in reply to: #3442920

User image

Orlando, Fl
Great job Rhett!!!!
2011-04-13 7:51 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicagoland
Great job, Rhett!  Very inspiring for me since I'm struggling to keep up with my training.  I think if I make it to July 18th without dying, it will be a miracle
2011-04-13 2:02 PM
in reply to: #3443867

User image

Regular
Allen, TX

Just got my full Race Report up if you want to see where things worked and where they didn't.  Thanks again for the support and kind words folks - Now lets get the Mike and Ryan through this weekend!  Is anyone else racing this weekend?

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=248241

2011-04-13 3:25 PM
in reply to: #3444797

User image

Regular
Allen, TX
rhetts - 2011-04-13 2:02 PM

Just got my full Race Report up if you want to see where things worked and where they didn't.  Thanks again for the support and kind words folks - Now lets get the Mike and Ryan through this weekend!  Is anyone else racing this weekend?

By the way, guys..... I talked to a really good friend of mine, who is president of the Baton Rouge Tri club, and he said for you guys to feel free to stop by the BR Tri tent down in New Orleans for some pre/post race support or food/drink if you need it.  His name is Don Edgerton, and he was probably one of my closest friends in college (we were FIJI's (fraternity brothers) at LSU)..... He said that if he is not there, just tell them that he sent you and they will take care of whatever you need.  If you do run into Don, tell him that you are the guys that know me (Rhett) - I just talked to him yesterday, and he thinks he should be heading down there, but he just had a baby boy 2 weeks ago, so you never know.  Regardless, those guys should be able to help you out with whatever you may need while you are in NOLA.

2011-04-13 9:25 PM
in reply to: #3445000

User image

Master
St. Louis
rhetts - 2011-04-13 3:25 PM
rhetts - 2011-04-13 2:02 PM

By the way, guys..... I talked to a really good friend of mine, who is president of the Baton Rouge Tri club, and he said for you guys to feel free to stop by the BR Tri tent down in New Orleans for some pre/post race support or food/drink if you need it.  His name is Don Edgerton, and he was probably one of my closest friends in college (we were FIJI's (fraternity brothers) at LSU)..... He said that if he is not there, just tell them that he sent you and they will take care of whatever you need.  If you do run into Don, tell him that you are the guys that know me (Rhett) - I just talked to him yesterday, and he thinks he should be heading down there, but he just had a baby boy 2 weeks ago, so you never know.  Regardless, those guys should be able to help you out with whatever you may need while you are in NOLA.

Awesome!  Thanks Rhett!  Even if we don't need anything we'll try to swing by.  If we do need something, it's great to have some support!

Just read your RR and again I say, great job!

2011-04-13 9:27 PM

User image

Master
St. Louis
On a side note, everyone feel free to jump in another mentor group for the summer.  We'll keep up with this one as long as people are active, but it's also nice to meet new people and get different perspectives.  We've had fun and hopefully helped everyone out. 

Edited by ransick 2011-04-13 9:35 PM
2011-04-14 10:02 PM
in reply to: #3445617

User image

Extreme Veteran
metro DC

ransick - 2011-04-13 10:27 PM On a side note, everyone feel free to jump in another mentor group for the summer.  We'll keep up with this one as long as people are active, but it's also nice to meet new people and get different perspectives.  We've had fun and hopefully helped everyone out. 

You did - and thanks for all your time & effort in pulling us together

Smile

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Ryan and Mike's beginner group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 23