General Discussion Race Reports! » Lifetime Fitness Reindeer Run - Plano,TX Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Lifetime Fitness Reindeer Run - Plano,TX - Run5k

View Member's Race Log
Plano, Texas
United States
Lifetime Fitness
33F / 1C
Sunny
Total Time = 20m 55s
Overall Rank = 10/150
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

got a good night's sleep; rested yesterday and did an easy 30-minute ride on the bike trainer; had half a cliff bar about 45 min prior to start
Event warmup:

Ran for a little over a mile as warm-up with a few pick-ups then had a Hammer Gel. Lined up near the front.
Run
  • 20m 55s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 06m 45s  min/mile
Comments:

This was a fun run so no chips and just a gun start. It was still good since I've been wanting to do a Lactate Threshold field test and nothing like a 5K race to figure out what that is. I lined up on the 2nd row and I figured that I would try to stick with the front-runners for a little bit. That didn't last long as over the first quarter-mile, we were running around a 5:40 pace so I made myself slow down a bit (got passed by a couple of people) but still finished first half mile too quick - right around 6:00 pace. This was definitely not anything close to what I can sustain considering I was shooting for something around a 7:00 pace. Managed to get in a rhythm and just let things sort out. Caught some of the 'pretenders' who went out too fast before the first mile was over and I settled into a decent pace. Started picking off people about half-way through the race but I was being kept on pace by the sound of some jingle bells. After the 2nd mile, I was passed - by a dog with a guy in tow. I was impressed as the guy would yell out "Left" or "Right" and the dog turns ahead of him. I tried to see if I can repass but they were gaining ground and I was definitely pushing hard already. About a mile out, the first place female runner drew level with me and this provided me some incentive to pick up the pace - I normally go slower than the first couple of females in the local 5K's - but tried not to get 'chicked' this time. Surged a bit, then heard the footsteps fading but as we got to about a quarter mile out, I started hearing footsteps again. Decided to empty it out and finished at 20:55! That's almost 2 minutes faster than my open 5K in April (though that was on a more hilly course) so I was pretty happy. Oh yeah - I didn't catch the dog...
What would you do differently?:

Might have been better to not go out so fast, but was able to catch myself and stay disciplined. Otherwise, I can't complain and felt pretty good about how I ran this race.
Post race
Warm down:

jogged a bit then went to the gym and did about 25 minutes of strength training, now that I was warm anyway. I decided that I had run a little over 4 miles and when I got home, I ran another 4 miles easy so I can get on track with my target long-run mileage for the day. Next race is a 10K about 5 weeks away. It will be first open 10K on a hilly course but I hope to be under 45 minutes.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Just more training. I've been staying away from too much speedwork, especially interval training and staying more with the more conservative tempo and progressive runs. I'll start doing some intervals to see if it'll prepare me better for the 10K race.

Event comments:

Would've been nice if they gave everyone timing chips and ran it like a 'real' 5K instead of a fun run. Probably over 400 people there so it was a good crowd. By my count, I finished around the Top 10 so I can't complain at all. Used the race data to reset my heart rate zones and training paces for next 5 weeks.

Last updated: 2010-12-07 12:00 AM
Running
00:20:55 | 03.1 miles | 06m 45s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/150
Performance: Good
http://connect.garmin.com/activity/59997760
Course: mostly a loop, pretty flat, around Plano neighborhood near Lifetime Fitness
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2010-12-26 12:58 AM

User image

Expert
Plano, National Capital Region
Subject: Lifetime Fitness Reindeer Run - Plano,TX
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Lifetime Fitness Reindeer Run - Plano,TX Rss Feed