Generic Events
85F / 29C
Sunny
Total Time = 40m 55s
Overall Rank = 85/156
Age Group = F30-34
Age Group Rank = 7/16
Pre-race routine:

Late starting race on a very unseasonably hot day. Slept in, ate breakfast, left the house around 10:45am and parked 1/2 to 3/4 mile from the race area. Hydrated.
Event warmup:

The walk from my car to the race area plus the mid-80's temperature were enough of a warm up for me. Hydrated some more.
Run
  • 40m 55s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 13m 10s  min/mile
Comments:

Race started on an immediate uphill. My GPS shows 276' climb in the first 1/2 mile alone. People started walking very early in the run. I was able to run/jog for the 2 miles until we reached the 2nd big uphill climb of the course. After a 300+ foot descent for over 1/2 mile, we had a 300+ foot ascent in 1/4 distance. I don't believe I saw a single person running or trying to run at that point.

I was getting quite warm in the sun and heat, despite my repeated hydrations pre-race. I actually had to stop and find a tiny shrub to sit next to in attempt to slow my HR and cool down for a minute, marking the first time in any race or run in my life where I've had to literally STOP and sit. I could see there was a hydration station at the top of the hill just a little ways if I could make it there I knew I'd be ok.

After my little rest I hopped up and walked the rest of the way to the aid station. Dumped a cup of water over my head/chest, drank some Gatorade and instantly felt better. Ran the rest of the course with no issues and felt great. It helped that after the 2.5 mark, it was literally all downhill from there to the finish line.
What would you do differently?:

Carry hydration with me next time, something I haven't done in training or a race as of yet. Even if it's only to pour water over my head rather to drink, I think that would have helped.
Post race
Warm down:

Helped myself to the yummy buffet. Sat in the shade for a bit to eat & drink and relax. Walked to my car (10-15 min) and stretched.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The one-day heat wave we had (mid-December!!) really didn't help at all and made for a very warm & uncomfortable trail race. I heard that several of the earlier 17K race participants needed Medic help that day too.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2010-12-21 12:00 AM
Running
00:40:55 | 03.11 miles | 13m 10s  min/mile
Age Group: 7/16
Overall: 85/156
Performance: Average
Course: Extremely hilly dirt trail course at El Morro Crystal Cove State Park. No shade. 763' total elevation climb for the 5K course.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2010-12-27 12:44 PM

User image

Veteran
Orange County, CA
Subject: Xterra Crystal Cove Trail Run

2010-12-27 12:55 PM
in reply to: #3262985

User image

Expert
Ann Arbor, MI
Subject: RE: Xterra Crystal Cove Trail Run
Great job on the race in the wacky heat and on this crazy trail run. I love that elevation profile!
2010-12-27 1:51 PM
in reply to: #3263003

User image

Veteran
Orange County, CA
Subject: RE: Xterra Crystal Cove Trail Run
yeats - 2010-12-27 10:55 AM Great job on the race in the wacky heat and on this crazy trail run. I love that elevation profile!

Thanks! Despite the heat it was fun! The picture uploaded so tiny though. Hmmm.Laughing

Aha! If you right-click it displays bigger. Got it.

Edited by Rancid13 2010-12-27 1:52 PM
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Xterra Crystal Cove Trail Run Rss Feed