Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 12

2011-02-27 4:45 PM
in reply to: #3263166

User image

Master
Southern Ontario
Subject: RE: SMeador's Group - FULL!
Got my 14.6k run done.  I'm relaxing with a beer, recovery compression socks and the TV... *laughing*

I did get some things off my "list" today. Not big things - but they are making me smile which is good.

2011-02-28 6:47 AM

User image

Master
Southern Ontario
So I have to get back on the P90X bandwagon today... I slacked for the last week - but I started again on Sat - so I'm going to do Legs & Back tonight and then hopefully spin with Chris later. 

It's pouring rain here - which hopefully will get rid of all the snow.  I'm hoping that I can start commuting to work again this week.  It's been a loooooooong winter for our area - a lot more snow than we normally see.  I guess that's a good thing - it gives the kids something to do on the yard (equipment is off limits as long as the ground is frozen).

I was looking at a set of wheels in the classifieds but really wasn't sure about going tubulars... I'm kind of waffling - thinking I should have pulled the trigger - but at the same time 100$ per tire if I flat out is a lot of money... I'm going to the bike show this weekend - so maybe I'll find a deal there... I'd really prefer clinchers.

Only two weeks until March Break.  I'm SO excited!!!  Ocean swims and runs in skirts!! Yay!!!
2011-02-28 7:42 PM

User image

Master
Southern Ontario
So talking with a friend of mine yesterday ... I handed him his butt at both a sprint and the 1/2 IM last year and we were trash talking each other.... He's been riding his rollers all winter and told me I'd be in trouble on the bike... (Not really worried.)  Anyway - I've had rollers for 2 years and had a goal last year of riding them at least 3x a week.  Well that didn't happen... but him talking about them got me thinking so I pulled mine out. 

Spent 10 mins on my tri bike on them - really twitchy.  So I adjusted the front roller back and then spun for another 35 mins.  It was AWESOME!! So much better than on the trainer! Yay!!! Whooohoooooo!!
2011-03-01 6:21 AM

User image

Master
Southern Ontario
It's Tuesday and the roads are clear and dry - so I think I'm going to ride to work today!!! I'm SO excited!!! Yay!!! I need to get my commuter bike - but I'll ride my tri bike today.

I have a massage later - I have a nagging hamstring issue.  I really need a tweak of my bike fit - I'm pretty sure it's saddle or cleat related as I had no trouble until I spent an hour on the computrainer last Monday. Erg.
2011-03-01 10:45 AM
in reply to: #3368833

User image

New user

Silver_wlf,

Thanks for the recomendation.  It came in last night, I installed it and everthing worked great.  Hopefully this weekend I can do a brick and see how well it transitions from bike to wrist.

2011-03-01 10:47 AM
in reply to: #3377342

User image

Master
Southern Ontario
RunningHot - 2011-03-01 10:45 AM

Silver_wlf,

Thanks for the recomendation.  It came in last night, I installed it and everthing worked great.  Hopefully this weekend I can do a brick and see how well it transitions from bike to wrist.

Yay!!!! Awesome!!!!  You'll love it.  I am biking to work today - so I'm excited about using mine on my bike again!

2011-03-01 8:05 PM

User image

Master
Southern Ontario
So I'm having serious motivation issues with swimming.  Just not in the mood to go, when I get there I seem to be okay - but I give up easily.  Tonight was speedwork - so I didn't get as much mileage in - but I did work hard.

2011-03-02 6:33 AM

User image

Master
Southern Ontario
I have been running on Wednesday mornings with my sister - but she had the stomach flu this week - so she couldn't run this morning.  Anyway I woke up early so I decided to get my run done this am since it's supposed to get colder throughout the day.

Ugh. It was unpleasant. So I rode to work yesterday (and I know that riding on the road is different than riding on the trainer) and then had a massage, then swam.  My legs felt like lead this morning.  I thought I might be able to shake it off but no luck.  So my 10k run this morning turned into a 5k recovery.  I'll do a longer run on Friday instead.
2011-03-02 8:22 AM

User image

Madison-ish, WI
So I finally caught the dreaded head cold that has been floating around.  Man, it has been rough!  For the last couple of days I have had next to no energy and all I do is sleep.  Today my ears finally popped and it feels like the pressure in my head is slowly decreasing.  I am hoping that I am on the mend and that I will be able to get back on the horse tomorrow with some easy workouts.  Good thing this is my recovery week!!

Also, today marks the 1 month countdown to the wedding, so I guess its good I have the "getting sick" part out of the way!!  This month is gonna go fast!!!
2011-03-03 6:17 AM
in reply to: #3378766

User image

Master
Southern Ontario
Emwilltri - 2011-03-02 8:22 AM So I finally caught the dreaded head cold that has been floating around.  Man, it has been rough!  For the last couple of days I have had next to no energy and all I do is sleep.  Today my ears finally popped and it feels like the pressure in my head is slowly decreasing.  I am hoping that I am on the mend and that I will be able to get back on the horse tomorrow with some easy workouts.  Good thing this is my recovery week!!

Also, today marks the 1 month countdown to the wedding, so I guess its good I have the "getting sick" part out of the way!!  This month is gonna go fast!!!

Glad you're on the mend!!!!  Ugh - being sick sucks.  There are some nasty stuff going around here - so I'm compulsively washing my hands.  Ewwwww.

How did your workout go today?

SOOOOOOO exciting about the wedding!! All the plans finalized?  Any last minute stuff to do?

2011-03-03 6:18 AM

User image

Master
Southern Ontario
So spring is slowly coming here.  Snow still on the ground and I think it's about -7(C) this morning... but I'm going to ride to work again today.  It's SO nice being out on the bike!!!

Tonight is swimming and I need to be going regularly - been blowing off swim workouts - which isn't good for me. *sigh*

This weekend is the Toronto Bike Show and I'm going up with a couple friends.  I need some more clothes (although I've been buying a lot on Bonktown lately ... *sheepish look*) and I really want to try on a pair of Vibram's.

2011-03-04 7:12 PM

User image

Madison-ish, WI

So the first workout took an extra day-last night I got home and was just so beat that I was in bed (again) by 8pm.  I haven't had something kick my butt like this in a while!  It sucks because its floating around work like nobody's business and I just pray that I am done with it once and for all.

Today I just did a half hour on the trainer and it went pretty good.  Tomorrow I plan another similar ride on the trainer, and depending on the weather perhaps a jog outside.  I don't want to overdo it, but I feel like such a lazy sack after not working out for almost a week!

Wedding stuff is going well--all the big stuff is pretty much done.  Now its just waiting for the RSVP's to come in so I can budget, work on seating arrangements, etc.  I work at a hotel (which is also where we are having the wedding) and so I have had a lot of help from my co-workers as well as some awesome deals from my boss.

I hope everyone has a great weekend--I plan on easing back into my workouts and cleaning the sickness out of our house!

I will be a little more interactive next week-I promise!

2011-03-04 8:25 PM

illinois
what is the computer thing you are talking about that shows cadence? I have a computer thing on my bike that tells me mileage and miles per hour. How do I use cadence to train on the bike? I have no idea what cadence i pedal when I bike? Any advice?
2011-03-05 4:33 PM
in reply to: #3383501

User image

Master
Southern Ontario

diamond - 2011-03-04 8:25 PM what is the computer thing you are talking about that shows cadence? I have a computer thing on my bike that tells me mileage and miles per hour. How do I use cadence to train on the bike? I have no idea what cadence i pedal when I bike? Any advice?

Well - like many things in Triathlon - we have a surfeit of data and cadence is just another thing we can monitor and tweak to reach optimal performance.

I have cadence on my Garmin 305 - do I use it? Nope.  Should I? Maybe.  I know that I tend to have lower cadence than many people - but it doesn't seem to affect my ability to hold my own in races/riding with others.

There are others on here that know a whole lot more about it - and honestly I'm not much help.  I don't use it much other than to laugh at how low it is compared to someone else's. :D

2011-03-06 4:39 PM
in reply to: #3384244

illinois
stef-- thanks for the info
2011-03-06 4:46 PM

illinois
i have another question-- this one is kinda wierd to talk about but here goes--- does any one have any advice on what to eat or what to do so that during my 1/2 marathon i don't have to run to the toliet to go #2? I am not kidding this seems to be something that must be figured out. I have been told to track what I eat and how my runs go. Also I probably shouldn't eat lots of high fiber foods-- but what I am really looking for is if anyone has anything they do pre-race days that has worked for them? any advice would be appreciated. I know it's a subject some may not want to discuss and I understand that too----

2011-03-06 4:51 PM

User image

Pro
Keller, Texas
Hey guys...I am back! 

Been crazy with being sick, vacation and just life in general.

Hope everyone is doing well.  Will check in tomorrow and get all caught up on the thread!
2011-03-06 5:40 PM
in reply to: #3385276

User image

Master
Southern Ontario

diamond - 2011-03-06 4:46 PM i have another question-- this one is kinda wierd to talk about but here goes--- does any one have any advice on what to eat or what to do so that during my 1/2 marathon i don't have to run to the toliet to go #2? I am not kidding this seems to be something that must be figured out. I have been told to track what I eat and how my runs go. Also I probably shouldn't eat lots of high fiber foods-- but what I am really looking for is if anyone has anything they do pre-race days that has worked for them? any advice would be appreciated. I know it's a subject some may not want to discuss and I understand that too----

You want to train with what you're going to use. The first year I did Steelhead I used my own liquids becuase I'd been training with Accelerade - so I carried my own.  Pain in the butt!! Oh - and everyone told me EAT, EAT, make sure you EAT.  So I ate WAY more than I usually did on training rides.  (Rule #1 - never do anything different on race day.)  I was running to the bathroom throughout the run.  So my advice is find out what they will have on the course and train with that.  That way you know what your body thinks of it - and you won't get caught on race day with something different you're not used to.

The days leading up to the race I don't change much - I am a mostly vegetarian so I eat a lot of fibre.  I wouldn't eat anything really high like raisin bran, bran muffins, etc... The night before I ALWAYS have white spaghetti.  (But that's more superstition than anything else.)

So my race day looks like this:
Breakfast: Chocolate Chip bagel with Peanut Butter and a Banana

1/2 Hour before start - Sport beans (or gel)

I drank 2 bottles of Endurance Formula Gatorade and one gel on the bike.

I alternated gatorade/water on the run when I felt like I needed it - and had a gel w hen I was hungry.

I don't drink or eat a lot - but this is something you want to try out in training. I rarely have trouble on runs with bathroom issues - but if you do notice any - make sure you note it so you can avoid it on race day. 

2011-03-07 6:17 AM

User image

Master
Southern Ontario

New week!!! Only one week until I go to Florida for a week.  I'm SO excited!!! 

I had a terrible run yesterday .... well no ... I had a good run in terrible conditions. *laughing*  It would have been lovely if the 40km/hr wind would have gone away.  Anyway - I did 6k with the group (my sister and I organize a group run on Sunday afternoons) and then I came home and did another 6.75.  It wasn't the 15.5 that I needed - but close enough.

Then I ate junk... *sigh*

Today I'm in a workshop all day - but hopefully I can get out early and get home so that I can squeeze in Legs & Back before my hair appointment.  *sigh*

2011-03-08 7:27 AM

User image

Madison-ish, WI

Good morning all!

How's everyone's week going so far??  I thought mine was going to be off to a rocky start, but actually its going great!!  The hubs and I had a little "Sunday Funday" which usually makes for a notsofun Monday, esp when I had my long run planned for that evening.  I was nervous about the run for a couple of reasons:

1. Since I was sick I had only done one 3.5mi run and my hip flexor (I think thats what its called) was KILLING me at the end. 

2. Running an hour on a treadmill is torture

3. My stomach/GI tract isn't always my friend the day after drinking, and then combine it with running and sometimes it spells disaster...

So, I went to the Y with the intentions of doing my long run, but in the back of my mind I figured if it was really bad I would just go for as long as I could and do either my short run or medium run.  After about half an hour I started having some cramping issues and thought I was going to have to cut it short..but just kept going--and I finished my long run (56 minutes) and I felt relatively GOOD!  I keep thinking back to when I first started the couch2 5k running program and the thought of running 20 minutes straight was super scary--and now I have almost tripled that!

Today is only a half day at work because we are headed over to get our marriage license--only a couple more weeks to go!!  I just wish I had somewhere warm to look forward to afterward--so jealous of the cruise Marcy & the upcoming trip to FL for you Steph!  As of right now, our plans for a honeymoon are for something this fall...which seems so far away!!

2011-03-10 8:49 PM
in reply to: #3385333

illinois
thanks stef for all the info!! I will be finding out what they have on route real quick!!!

2011-03-10 8:57 PM

User image

Master
Southern Ontario

I had two good swims this week.  Which is great!!!

I am going to blow off my recovery run tomorrow and do my long run on Saturday this week.  It's supposed to be nice - and I'm looking forward to it.

2011-04-04 8:08 PM

User image

Master
Southern Ontario

How are we doing?  I realized today that I hadn't posted in a while....

I had my first night of my "learn to run" clinic.  It always makes me feel so energized!!!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SMeador's Group - FULL! Rss Feed  

of 12