Ohio Outside
25F / -4C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 57m 3s
Overall Rank = 83/165
Age Group = F 0-29
Age Group Rank = 9/22
Pre-race routine:

Stayed up a bit too late the night before -- we were hanging out with some friends. Got up at about 6 AM, left the house at 6:45, pulled into a Wendy's for a pre-race breakfast (bacon/egg/cheese sandwich + coffee + OJ), and drove like a madwoman to get from Pittsburgh to central Ohio in time. Made it to the state park about 15 minutes before packet pickup closed :) Filled up the water bottle and joined the shivering throng waiting for the starting gun.
Event warmup:

Huddled, shivering and miserable, amidst all the other trail runners. Saw a gentleman who chose to wear little but an extremely brief, day-glo orange, pair of running shorts and his trail shoes. This made me so cold that I started doing some weird dynamic-stretching-type movements in order to warm up. This failed utterly, so I began hopping up and down in place, as if I was pogo-ing to an unseen punk band.
Run
  • 1h 57m 3s
  • 10.4 miles
  • 11m 15s  min/mile
Comments:

I was really pleased with my level of physical effort. I feel like I pushed myself precisely the right amount -- I was dead after that race, but I finished pretty strong.

This run was an epic battle with thermoregulation. Winter runs are challenging for me, because I need to start off with a hat and gloves, but I warm up a mile or two into the course. Coupled with my lack of hydration belt, it was really challenging for me to deal with carrying my hat, gloves, and water bottle on course. I ended up putting everything in the hat and carrying it like a tiny satchel, until my water bottle leaked all over me, making me cold and wet :( I also ended up needing to continually take off and put back on various layers. Good thing I have plenty of practice in dressing/undressing on the run!
What would you do differently?:

I would have worn more and thinner layers instead of only wearing two. I feel like now that I have my awesome hydration-belt Christmas present, I won't have so many issues dealing with inanimate objects, so that's a big plus :)

Overall, I think I did a really great job with this race. I missed a few important training runs, which had me a bit flustered, but my fitness level was almost as high as I wanted it to be and I think I ran this race as well as I could have at my current fitness level.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked back and forth for a while, staggered into the lodge for post-race refreshments. Gobbled cookies and bananas like an animal, and gulped down water. When I was stretching out, I noticed that my shin was incredibly painful. On the course, I had stepped on the end of a baseball bat sized stick, which levered itself up and popped me a good one at the base of the knee. I went into the ladies' room and examined my leg, and discovered an enormous bruise -- the stick had smacked me so hard that it bruised not only the skin, but the shin bone under the skin. (I STILL have a bruise, and the race has been over for 3 weeks.) I said "Wow, that's going to be an AWESOME bruise!" Another woman burst out laughing and said "That's how you know you're around good women -- 'that's going to be an awesome bruise!'"

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I performed the best that I could, given my fitness level. I might have scraped a few extra seconds if I had better gear, or if I hadn't spent so much time on trail taking my clothes off and putting them back on.

Last updated: 2010-12-27 12:00 AM
Running
01:57:03 | 10.4 miles | 11m 15s  min/mile
Age Group: 9/22
Overall: 83/165
Performance: Good
Course: Beautiful 10.4-mile loop. The course started with a long, gradual descent on twisty singletrack, heading down beside the shores of Salt Fork Lake. I got trapped behind some very slow-moving people who wouldn't let me pass -- grrr! Eventually I managed to find a place where I could get past them, and then I was alone for a bit. The terrain suddenly switched, from young deciduous forest to tall, glorious hemlocks. I was all alone in the pines, and it was like being the only person in a cathedral. Completely excellent. There was a lot of climbing on this course, more than it looked like from eyeballing the elevation chart. We enjoyed ourselves immensely, although a lot of the people running this were from flatter areas and had a hard time on the ascents. I took special care to make myself walk a lot of the uphill sections, although I couldn't help myself from running some of them. At about mile 4, I saw this amazing female runner just blow past everyone, running up a long steep climb. When I grow up, I totally want to be her :) After the first serious climb (~ mile 4), we were running on pavement for a mile or so. The aid station was at about mile 5, and featured friendly folks, plenty of water, some vile yellow drink, and POTATO CHIPS. I'm a salty sweater, and I don't have too much problem with eating and running, so I shoved a handful in my mouth like an animal, completely horrifying the aid-station woman. The second half of the race was pretty gorgeous too, as soon as we got off the road and back onto the singletrack. My husband caught up with me around mile 6 or 7 (he took a fall near the start of the race, but came back strong and caught me), and we ran the last half together. There was another beautiful long downhill technical stretch. I was much more aggressive during the second half of the race than I was on the downhills for the first half, and we blew past at least a dozen other runners. We were feeling pretty invincible at miles 8-9. The last 1.4 miles were ROUGH, though. That long, gradual descent at the start? Was a long, gradual climb at the end. Jonathon and I kept each other running, and we were motivated by a group of 2 men and 2 women who we had just recently passed, and who we didn't want to catch us again! All the same, we had to walk the last .25 miles of uphill. One of the women caught us on the climb, but we managed to rally for the last (relatively flat) quarter-mile and hit the chute running. Good race!
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2010-12-27 3:02 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Pittsburgh
Subject: Salt Fork 10 Mile Trail Challenge

2010-12-27 5:34 PM
in reply to: #3263175

User image

Champion
Calgary
Subject: RE: Salt Fork 10 Mile Trail Challenge
Nice race report and good job. You sure like to suffer.
.p
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Salt Fork 10 Mile Trail Challenge Rss Feed