Obsessive Compusive Foundation of Western PA
30F / -1C
Overcast
Total Time = 53m 10s
Overall Rank = 49/78
Age Group = F 25-29
Age Group Rank = 3/7
Pre-race routine:

Drove to the race, stood around shivering in a knot. This was the first cold snap of the winter, and I was not getting used to it.
Event warmup:

I tried to warm up by walking/jogging a bit before the race, but it did no good. Although I warmed up, we stood at the start for a long time while the race director gave her pre-race talk, and I got all cold again. A nasty chilly breeze was blowing, and I was an unhappy runner.
Run
  • 53m 10s
  • 5 miles
  • 10m 38s  min/mile
Comments:

I had a really hard time with the first mile of this race. First of all, my legs cooled all the way down from my warmup, and I was not only freesing for the first mile, but my cold legs just wouldn't respond. I tried to force them to move, but they started to give ominous pre-cramping twinges, so I had to just wait to warm back up. I pushed it a bit hard for the first uphill mile, running when I should have walked, with the end result that my guts cramped. I might have gained an extra minute or two by running instead of walking fast in places, but I spent it all in the port-a-john at the top of the hill :(

Despite the rough start, I came back strong after that first mile, and passed a lot of runners who I never saw again. In the last mile, I saw some of my running buddies -- if the race had been half a mile longer, I would have caught and passed them. In retrospect, I could have given it a bit more in the second half of the race -- I was ready to run all day, once I warmed up my poor legs!
What would you do differently?:

I would have ignored the pre-race talk in favor of keeping warmed-up. I also would have not pushed it so hard in the first mile, and been more conscious of what I was eating the day before the race, and maybe that would have avoided my intestinal issues.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around until my HR chilled back out, and put my winter coat back on. Post-race food was AWESOME -- chicken soup, bagels, and beer (thank you, hashers!)

I like to stick around for post-race awards, because it makes me a happy lady. This time, I was shocked to hear my name called! Of 7 women in my AG, I finished 3rd. However, the two women ahead of me were the top 2 overall women, so I took home the award for being 1st in my AG! It's the first time I ever took home some hardware, and I was really psyched for it :)

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Cold, poor judgment, and intestinal distress. Although I was inordinately pleased to have taken home a medal, I was a bit frustrated with some of my decisions and felt like I could have run a stronger race.

Last updated: 2010-12-27 12:00 AM
Running
00:53:10 | 05 miles | 10m 38s  min/mile
Age Group: 3/7
Overall: 49/78
Performance: Average
Course: Hilly 5-mile trail run. The first mile was a nasty steep climb up a very large hill. The rest of the course was rolling.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2010-12-27 3:27 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Pittsburgh
Subject: Dirt Monster 5 Mile Trail Race

2010-12-27 5:29 PM
in reply to: #3263212

User image

Champion
Calgary
Subject: RE: Dirt Monster 5 Mile Trail Race
Nice job contracts on the ag win. Sounds like a tough race.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Dirt Monster 5 Mile Trail Race Rss Feed