Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Charitable Giving Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply
2010-12-28 12:39 PM

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member
Subject: Charitable Giving

Each year it seems that my husband and I are asked for so many donations for friends doing walks, rides, etc that I haven't bothered to donate money to organizations I am particularly interested in.  This week I realized that we hadn't given as much money as usual this year - just due to chance.

As luck would have it, I was behind on my Netflix instant watch movie list.  Last night I watched the program Walk to Beautiful, which was a Nova special a few years ago.  The story was interesting and touching and I decided to give something to the clinic in Ethiopia featured in the documentary.  (Fistula Foundation if you're looking for something)

It was such a nice feeling to put some actual effort into it, instead of simply responding to "Donate to me" e-mails.  I wanted to encourage everyone who has something to give this year to find something you are excited about.  Of course, there are only a few days left in 2010 to wrap it up for the tax year!

Happy Giving!

Edited by BikerGrrrl 2010-12-28 12:39 PM

2010-12-28 2:41 PM
in reply to: #3264591

User image

Champion
the colony texas
Subject: RE: Charitable Giving
great post/thread.

I've cut waaay back to giving the $20-40 donations for people doing races or other causes in the last few years.  I do verbally  support that they are doing and wish them the best. But I also would rather give to charities that I personally like.  
2010-12-28 3:33 PM

User image

Master
Boynton Beach, FL
Good thread...

Had to stop and think about the different areas we give and if as productive.   Biggest piece of pie goes to church where our daughter also attends school.   They have a great way of requiring this due to break in tuition.  My biggest change this year will be changing my political donations to charitable donations.  Thsi is a great way I can prioritize my giving without impacting bottom line in tough year.   Sometimes we also dont think of it this way, but all those charity golf tournaments, auctions etc do add up as well.   Although the proceeds or fees do not all go to charity, they do contribute.   

2010-12-28 4:22 PM
in reply to: #3264932

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

cardenas1 - 2010-12-28 3:33 PM ...  Sometimes we also dont think of it this way, but all those charity golf tournaments, auctions etc do add up as well.   Although the proceeds or fees do not all go to charity, they do contribute.   

Good point!  And I can easily forget to put those on the old taxes, especially if I pay in cash  

I have actually become a bit of scrooge when it comes to events used to raise money, similar to the walks, etc.  I would rather give my $150 or whatever to a group in need and know that a good chunk isn't eaten away by providing me with dinner, a show, etc.  Actually there's an organization that invites me to a "ball" sort of deal each year and I always decline, but send the ticket equivalent in a donation.  But I realize that a lot of folks wouldn't contribute if not invited to do so.

2010-12-28 4:30 PM

User image

For a while my wife and I were good about making that a part of our monthly budget, and sending something every month.  Need to make that a priority again.  Good thread
2010-12-28 4:32 PM

Master
Charlotte, NC
Our church definitely gets the biggest piece of our charitable pie.  I wish I had more to give to the other cause that is very important to us also.

2010-12-28 5:48 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Centennial, CO

A few years back my wife and I started taking the money we would have spent on gifts for each other at Christmas and giving it to our favorite charity. We still get the kids, friends, family, etc gifts, so it really only affects us. We really enjoy it. 

2010-12-28 6:25 PM

User image

Expert
Hatboro, PA
I remember watching that Nova special.  It was sad to see how shunned the girls are by their villages.

I don't make a lot of money, so I don't tend to give a significant amount of money to charities.  However, I tend to volunteer my time often.  Growing up, the church my family attended had a tapestry listing things that a good Lutheran should do.  The last one was "commit time, talent, treasure".  Even though I no longer consider myself religious, this stuck with me.  Since I don't have a lot of treasure to give, I give my time to area charities.
2010-12-28 7:39 PM

Extreme Veteran
Northbridge, Massachusetts
If you are looking for something local, look to the inner city YMCA's.  I am on the Board of our Downtown YMCA and we do a significant amount of work that is funded by donation.  The majority of the programs are geared towards the inner city charter schools providing after school care and Physical Education programs for low income kids. We also provide funded summer camps for low income inner city kids and physical ed programs for low income seniors as well.

Check the Y in your major cities to see if they need donations.

:-)
2010-12-28 7:41 PM
in reply to: #3265120

Extreme Veteran
Northbridge, Massachusetts
syscrash - 2010-12-28 3:48 PM

A few years back my wife and I started taking the money we would have spent on gifts for each other at Christmas and giving it to our favorite charity. We still get the kids, friends, family, etc gifts, so it really only affects us. We really enjoy it. 

My mom started doing this when my Dad died, she takes the money she would have spent on him and adopts a family through the Salvation Army.

It is a great idea!!
New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Charitable Giving Rss Feed