Other Country Forums Southeast Asia » Training in Japan Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, alicefoeller Reply
2010-12-28 8:09 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: Training in Japan
In the spirit of Hot Runner's comic training in Vietnam thread. Although I am not very funny, I'll try anyway.

Training in Japan
1. Overtraining is hard due to the constant breaks you get while waiting for trains.
2. Running on unlit, single lane roads that have traffic in both directions can be hazardous to your health.
3. Every workout is a hill workout.
4. Traffic laws?
5. You're riding with traffic and have to dodge cars parked arbitrarily on the side of the road by riding into traffic.
6. You're riding with traffic and have to dodge other riders that ride straight at you against traffic.
7. You're running on the sidewalk and have to dodge cyclists that are slowly meandering back and forth down the sidewalk with no perceived ability to ride in a straight line.
8. Seriously, do people even stop for red lights in Japan?
9. You can't use road tires unless you own stock in Michelin. Yes, the streets are that bad.
10. You feel underdressed as an American because every Japanese person is exercising in completely matching clothes, every time.

And not to feel left out, the speed of a Japanese runner is inversely proportional to the length of his shorts.

2010-12-29 1:36 AM
in reply to: #3265320

User image

Melon Presser
Subject: RE: Training in Japan
I thought that was pretty dang funny. And like HotRunner's, I could relate to it all ... hahaha ...

I've got to comb through my own blogs and memory and do a Training in Indonesia thread ...
2010-12-29 12:30 PM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
LOL! Esp. the shorts part.  Wow--you have sidewalks!  In Vietnam, the defininition of a sidewalk is "a place to set up businesses and park thousands of motorbikes". I guess a sidewalk with wrong-way bikes isn't any better.

I am now having culture shock in my own country. Designated running trails! People stop for runners! Paerl Izumi store at the outlet mall!  But the pool...... We have a great public rec center set-up (less than $4 to access pool, weights, bike trainers, and treadmills) in our town, with one catch-- It appears that in winter indoor pool is usually reserved for the obese/geriatric set and the "hardcore" are expected to go outside. It is nicely heated, but....this is Oregon, and it hasn't gotten out of the 40's (degrees F) and it snowed this morning! I got a neoprene cap and do a lot of continuous swims and long sets, but have been contemplating if it's possible to swim freestyle while completely submerged in the water.   My time in the tropics has made me a cold-weather wimp.
2010-12-31 7:24 AM

User image

Master
Muskego, Wisconsin
I thought it was pretty good too!  On our island we don't have trains but we do have stop lights every few blocks that can kill a good ride or run.

No kidding on the shorts though, old dudes wear capri style pants and the fasties wear the same style boy shorts I see in the Victoria Secrets catalogue.
2011-03-01 10:32 PM

User image

Regular
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Nice post! I live in the middle of nowhere Japan so my training has been a bit different, I would add:

• people in the overheated gym wear full track suits and NEVER seem to break a sweat
  • the majority of your outdoor training takes place between rice paddies
  • you are stared at so often and with such looks of puzzlement that sometimes you question whether you are only person who has ever ridden a bike/run through this neighborhood (then you remember that they're actually staring at you because you look different and not because of the bike)
  • you are frequently passed, no matter if you're running, biking or swimming, by some 90 year old badass, leading you to question the effectiveness of your training and perhaps your life in general
  • complete strangers tell you to "ganbare!" (do your best)
  • someone offers you something for free at some point along your route (free food, free flowers, some kind of keepsake) just because you're a foreigner
2011-03-02 7:32 AM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Love it!  If you ever leave Japan and get homesick for "gambare", run the Honolulu Marathon. It seemed to be a constrant refrain, esp. out in Hawaii Kai at the far end of the course. Around here, I'd love it if someone yelled something at me that wasn't obscene. 

New Thread
Other Country Forums Southeast Asia » Training in Japan Rss Feed