General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Kansas 70.3 : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 20

2011-06-13 10:42 AM
in reply to: #3267289

User image

Veteran
Springs
Subject: RE: Ironman Kansas 70.3 : Official Thread

What a great race.  I had a good swim considering the conditions.  Bike was fun.  Set a new PR for my  run.  I even set a new 70.3 PR.   The weather turned out great.   I was worried that the race would be stoped early becouse of lightning. 

How great is Crissie W.  handing out finisher medals.

2011-06-13 11:55 AM
in reply to: #3545944

User image

Regular
Kansas City

wingedfoot26 - 2011-06-13 9:34 AM First of all congrats to everyone who raced and killed it yesterday!I was wondering if anyone knows how many slots for Vegas they gave to the 18-24 AG? I was 8th but I know they probably only took 1 or 2 because our AG is so small. And if anyone knows how far the slots rolled down (if any) I'd love to know that as well. Obviously I would have needed to be at the ceremony to accept but it's always nice to know for NEXT YEAR!!

Hey I'm in the same age group and it was only one slot and I didn't end up going to the awards because a few of the people I knew in top 5 were wanting a slot and so I'm guessing the roll down didn't go down far.

Great weather. Great course. Great memories. 

Congrats to everyone that made it!

2011-06-13 12:01 PM

User image

Regular
Indiana
Woo hoo. Great job everyone. Sounds like the swim was quite a challenge. I couldn't be more proud of you all....especially for those of you completing your first 70.3. I think I am going to commit to Pocono so if anyone is interested I'd love to have you. I will be back in Kansas next year though. I just feel its something I need to do. Congrats again to each and everyone of you. I may have to look you up on facebook pitbullzz. I'm on there too.....Debbie Habben Pfledderer. Way to go guys.
2011-06-13 12:04 PM

User image

Veteran
Cabot, Arkansas
Right On Deb bie! Yeah, the course was really nice. I'll see u there next year.
2011-06-13 12:04 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
NW Arkansas
What a brutal swim! I'm a newby swimmer anyway and horribly slow, but it took me a good 10-15 minutes longer than I expected. I heard quite a few people DNFd on the swim. It was like swimming in the ocean without the added buoyancy and clear water. The bike was fairly windy as well, so I used more energy than I wanted going into the run but survived okay. Such a very well-run and well-supported event. I loved it!
2011-06-13 12:22 PM
in reply to: #3546368

Extreme Veteran
Washington, Utah

RazorTri - 2011-06-13 12:04 PM What a brutal swim! I'm a newby swimmer anyway and horribly slow, but it took me a good 10-15 minutes longer than I expected. I heard quite a few people DNFd on the swim. It was like swimming in the ocean without the added buoyancy and clear water. The bike was fairly windy as well, so I used more energy than I wanted going into the run but survived okay. Such a very well-run and well-supported event. I loved it!

There were only two who didn't make the time cutoff for the swim, which honestly kind of surprised me.  I pulled two out who decided to call it quits and there were atleast three who were pulled for medical reasons.

2011-06-13 12:37 PM
in reply to: #3546428

User image

Extreme Veteran
NW Arkansas
LGraff - 2011-06-13 12:22 PM

RazorTri - 2011-06-13 12:04 PM What a brutal swim! I'm a newby swimmer anyway and horribly slow, but it took me a good 10-15 minutes longer than I expected. I heard quite a few people DNFd on the swim. It was like swimming in the ocean without the added buoyancy and clear water. The bike was fairly windy as well, so I used more energy than I wanted going into the run but survived okay. Such a very well-run and well-supported event. I loved it!

There were only two who didn't make the time cutoff for the swim, which honestly kind of surprised me.  I pulled two out who decided to call it quits and there were atleast three who were pulled for medical reasons.

That's a lot fewer than I was led to believe! The person who told me was talking about people who decided to quit. She must have been confused about something. I would be so upset if I wasn't able to at least get to the bike. I feel for those who didn't.

BTW, kudos to you and all the volunteers. What a great experience for me in my first HIM!

Edited by RazorTri 2011-06-13 12:44 PM

2011-06-13 1:25 PM

User image

Regular
Indiana
Ok Pitbulzz. Which one are you on fb? There's a few Sean Hedrick's. What does your profile pic look like.
2011-06-13 2:16 PM
in reply to: #3546606

User image

Veteran
Cabot, Arkansas
Debbie - 2011-06-13 1:25 PMOk Pitbulzz. Which one are you on fb? There's a few Sean Hedrick's. What does your profile pic look like.
It's a pic of my son sitting a chair
2011-06-13 2:35 PM

User image

Veteran
Waterloo, IL

I, unfortunately, was one of those who was pulled from the water for missing the cutoff.  I was unprepared for the choppy water.  I started strong, then took in many mouths full of water.  I was close to my expected time at the midway point, but tired on the return.  I was about 150-250m out from the finish.Frown

I met several of the volunteers during the swim.  I can tell you they were all awsome and very encouraging.  I tried to keep a positive outlook, but it was very emotional for me to miss the cutoff.Cry

In an effort to find a positive, I did get to watch the pro's race.  Watching the guys and gals was awsome.  I saw Chrissie come off the bike behind Leanda and told my wife, "Just wait, there's a lot of run to do."  Leanda's no slouch, but Chrissie is otherworldly.

Sorry I missed you all, I made the rounds through the campsites a couple times on Saturday.  I seemed to time it when everybody was out and about.  Hopefully I was sitting there cheering you all on as you passed the first set of campsites.

Great talking to you all and I will be back.  Just have to work on this open water swimming.  Now I am heading out for a run, since I had a relaxing Sunday of watching everybody else race.

2011-06-13 3:17 PM

User image

Veteran
Austin

I think I was the last pink cap out of the water... and what irritated me was the guy standing there to help/pull you out of the water. he pulled me toward that buoy and caught my leg in the rope! anyway... yes, a very difficult swim. I think it took me longer to recover from the swim than my HIM's in the past, once I got to the bike. When I got up at 4am, there was lightning popping to the south and wind, so I wasn't willing to go with the race wheels and get caught in the cross winds... and as slow as I am as a runner (I use that label loosely), I still did better on the run. managed my nutrition pretty well, and learned a lot to move into my IMFL training. And yes, I was particularly humbled and honored to have Chrissie standing there to put the medal around my neck... wish I had a camera with me.

Since I traveled solo for this race, I want to thank all of you who volunteered, and those of you who brought family willing to cheer for any slowpoke athlete wandering across their path. It WAS greatly appreciated! This race is definitely on the do-again list!

And thanks for stopping by, Sean!

2011-06-13 3:58 PM

Hi Athletes,

I hope you don't mind me posting here since I'm not a triathlete (yet), but I wanted to tell you how inspirational I find each and every one of you. I volunteered yesterday and had the time of my life! I was one of the goofballs at the run aid station near miles 2.5/9 (the one nearest the T1 area)--our area was decked out in a beach/luau theme. Anyway, it was a genuine honor and privilege to have the opportunity to give some of you a little rest, hydration/fuel and (I hope) a little encouragement along the way. You are all amazing, no matter how you did! I'm scheduled to do my very first tri (just a sprint distance) in August, and watching all of you compete was just what I needed to see to get refocused on training.

Also, I hope you all enjoyed the time you spent in the area. I've lived here for about 15 years now and love this area. Lawrence is a fantastic town, and I hope you found it to be friendly and welcoming. I hope you all come back next year so I can once again give you some fuel for your journey!

Best of luck in your training and keep on inspiring the rest of us newbies!
2011-06-13 5:18 PM

Thought the race was a lot of fun! I was especially happy to have so many nice people to talk to. Not always like that in Texas. Well worth the drive from Houston. I am curious what kind of gearing everyone was using. Standard double/compact etc? What kind of cassettes? I was using 11-23 and would have like another gear easier.
2011-06-13 6:54 PM
in reply to: #3547123

User image

Extreme Veteran
NW Arkansas
catwtx - 2011-06-13 5:18 PMThought the race was a lot of fun! I was especially happy to have so many nice people to talk to. Not always like that in Texas. Well worth the drive from Houston. I am curious what kind of gearing everyone was using. Standard double/compact etc? What kind of cassettes? I was using 11-23 and would have like another gear easier.
Compact dbl, 12-25. I used the 25 a couple of times to keep from using too much energy, but the wind made that difficult. I liked the course just not the wind.
2011-06-13 7:56 PM

User image

Regarding gearing, I was using compact crank and 11-26 cassette, w/ 1080 rear and 404 front - the crosswind was annoying, I had to lean into the wind a few times, can't imagine what it was like for those riding w/ disks on the rear.

The wife and I were lucky enough to be on the same flight to New York today as Chrissie (she's getting fitted for Cannondale's new bike).  We had a great 10min+ conversation with her.  She truly is all about the sport of triathlon, the spectators and the age groupers like us.  Great person.

2011-06-13 8:22 PM

User image

Veteran
Springs
I ride a triple with 11-23.  I never used the 23.

2011-06-13 9:05 PM

User image

newburgh

congrats to all the finishers. My first HIM and it was a wonderful experience.  Was hoping for 6 hrs but ended up 630.  had a good swim and then took it easy on the bike (hills and head wind was tough] and did okay on the run until the hill on the second lap.  struggle the rest of the way in.

Great finishing chute and was glad to get that heavy metal.

2011-06-13 10:41 PM

User image

New user
Every race I do I learn a ton! And the moral of this race was "Rich, you need to learn how to swim" haha. Honestly though once I was out of the water I had an awesome time. I finished in 4:55 which was a little slower than I was hoping but I didn't taper and it was my second HIM so I'm still figuring it all out. It was definitely a confidence boost for IMLP! I also learned how hard Vegas is to qualify for. Only 1 slot in 18-24 and the winner went 4:18?? Looks like I have some work to do.
2011-06-14 7:46 AM

User image

KANSAS CITY

Congrats to everyone who participated on Sunday!!!  Still amazed that the weather held out for you!!!!

I'm planning on next year since this is in my back yard!  Hope to see you guys again next year!

Hopefully we can keep in touch between now and then!   I'm Anne Trostle Moyer on Facebook if anyone wants to keep in touch that way!

Happy training for the rest of the season!

2011-06-14 1:05 PM
in reply to: #3547870

User image

Veteran
Iowa

Congrats to all of those that participated in this event this year whethere you raced, volunteered or just cheered along the way.  The swim was the worst swim I have ever been in....was the motor boat actually moving around quite a bit...and did anyone else smell gasoline in the water at the finish??  Other than that, it was a great day.  I didn't PR but placed better in all events compared to last year so I will take it.  Now time to get ready for IM Wisconsin in a few months.

My wife and kids were the ones cheering in the Iowa State tents if anyone remembers them...they were a huge boost to me along the run course...for those that didn't camp or bring their families along, you are definitely missing out!!!  Congrats again to everyone!!

2011-06-14 2:07 PM

Veteran
Vicksburg

Guys I appreciate all the help and input yall haven given along the way the last few months for this race.  I wanted to finish around 5:30 and finished in 5:39.  I was happy with my performance.  The course was more challenging than I fiqured it would be and I loved this race.  I got to say a special thanks to Kevin whom let me borrow a nebulizar for my son who got sick while traveling to the race.  He saved the weekend for us.  Pitbullzz (Sean) it was nice to meet you and like I said I will keep in touch if I decide to do Branson.  I have a few weeks left for my Ironman Journey (Lake Placid) and I will reevaluate the rest of the season from there.  This was my fourth HIM and it was my favorite one I did.  The hills were tough on the bike but I loved the course, I am a country boy so the course scenery fit me perfect.  We camped out, I actually didn't know how that would work out b/c my wife really isn't in to that.  We loved it, my kids loved it and we both (wife and I) agreed that we will  be coming back to do this race, only next time we plan on getting there a little early and relaxing while camping.

2011-06-14 3:21 PM
in reply to: #3548711

User image

Veteran
Waterloo, IL
harleyclone - 2011-06-14 1:05 PM

Congrats to all of those that participated in this event this year whethere you raced, volunteered or just cheered along the way.  The swim was the worst swim I have ever been in....was the motor boat actually moving around quite a bit...and did anyone else smell gasoline in the water at the finish??  Other than that, it was a great day.  I didn't PR but placed better in all events compared to last year so I will take it.  Now time to get ready for IM Wisconsin in a few months.

My wife and kids were the ones cheering in the Iowa State tents if anyone remembers them...they were a huge boost to me along the run course...for those that didn't camp or bring their families along, you are definitely missing out!!!  Congrats again to everyone!!

I smelled motor boat fuel as well (I had plenty of time to smell it, when I wasn't drinking lake water.Smile).  I also thought many of the waves I was fighting were actually wake from the boats.  I will repeat, they had the best volunteers in the water.  Every time I sputtered from a mouth full of water, some one called out to me to check on my status.  They were awesome!!!

While my performance was a disappointment, this was a great race.  The atmosphere, course, volunteers, etc.   I will be back.  Hopefully in 2012 after some swim instruction.

I saw your tents, but came by when you were all gone.  Sorry I didn't catch you (or anybody else for that matter).

2011-06-14 4:40 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
NW Arkansas
Anyone else hit those rocks coming out of the swim? I did and stumbled a bit but didn't noticed until after I was totally done that one of my toes was hurting pretty bad. It was red/purple and swollen. Thought I had broken it but x-rays were negative, thankfully. I think it was the lake's last pot shot at me Yell
2011-06-14 4:53 PM

User image

Veteran
Kansas
By the way, if anyone was offered some of "Anthony's Weiners" while out on the run course, that would have been my friends at our campsite grilling hot dogs ... let me apologize   
2011-06-14 5:32 PM
in reply to: #3549241

User image

Master
Overland Park, KS

RazorTri - 2011-06-14 4:40 PM Anyone else hit those rocks coming out of the swim? I did and stumbled a bit but didn't noticed until after I was totally done that one of my toes was hurting pretty bad. It was red/purple and swollen. Thought I had broken it but x-rays were negative, thankfully. I think it was the lake's last pot shot at me Yell

Ditto on that, except mine was entering the water.  My middle right toe, didn't know how bad it was til the afternoon.  Mine might be broken but doc won't do anything about it anyway, it's still straight so if it is broke it'll heal up O.K.  I should have just dove in, doh!

Edited by reecealan 2011-06-14 5:33 PM
New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Kansas 70.3 : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 20