General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Kansas 70.3 : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 20

2011-06-14 5:38 PM
in reply to: #3549263

User image

Veteran
Waterloo, IL
Subject: RE: Ironman Kansas 70.3 : Official Thread

cjkelly0729 - 2011-06-14 4:53 PM By the way, if anyone was offered some of "Anthony's Weiners" while out on the run course, that would have been my friends at our campsite grilling hot dogs ... let me apologize   

That's funny!!

2011-06-14 11:29 PM
in reply to: #3549331

New user

Hutchinson, KS

I have enjoyed reading all the post-race posts from participants, volunteers and spectators.  This crazy sport is truly a tight-knit community made up of strangers, but the common bond makes us all one giant family of sorts...people of all ages, abilities, shapes and sizes.  We all had similar experiences during this race, regardless of our individual finish times.  We all agree the volunteers were fabulous, wonderful assistants along the way.  Thank you for your generosity and your time.  The weather turned out to be a gift.  Sure it was windy, as we could have expected on the plains in June, but the temps were low and it was mostly overcast.  It easily could have been much windier with scorching sun and 90+ degree temps during the run.  Or, worse yet, the storms could have postponed the race or canceled it.  The race was executed by pros without any visible hiccups.  I wasn't too excited for the walk back to T1 after the finish, but I knew it was part of this race and I won't complain about it.  And GEEZ LOUWEEZ!!! The bikes I saw some of you ride were works of art!  I was in awe of T1.

I wanted to be closer to breaking 5 hrs than 5:22, but I knew the hills on my bike would be tough and steal much of the energy I needed to maintain my goal pace on the run.  And, this being my first HIM, I knew I would learn a lot for next time. 

Congratulations to all of you and thanks for all the help during the past several months. 

Next up: Mudwater OLY at Lake Afton outside of Wichita, KS in July (Clinton lake is "clear" compared to Lake Afton's pasture runoff).  Then the 10th annual Salty Dog sprint tri in my hometown of Hutchinson, KS.  I've been in all 10 "Dogs" and experienced a weather cancellation in 2008.  Wow...what a depressing moment that was. We were lucky at IMKS in 2011. 

Best of luck to you all.

2011-06-15 1:45 PM
in reply to: #3549733

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
Kansastriguy - 2011-06-14 11:29 PM

I wasn't too excited for the walk back to T1 after the finish, but I knew it was part of this race and I won't complain about it.

I did this in 2010 and decided NEVER AGAIN as I was by myself, woozy, dizzy and generally a limping zombie. This year I took the extra 15 seconds to put my gear in the gear bag they provided so it would be transported up to the finish line area. I can't recommend that enough - lesson learned for next year maybe?

See you at Mudwater!

2011-06-15 2:46 PM
in reply to: #3267289

User image

Extreme Veteran
Olathe, KS

Did anyone have any family or friends use the shuttle/bus service that transported people from the parking areas to the campsite? Was this still offered this year? Just curious on any thoughts on this service for future reference.

2011-06-15 5:28 PM
in reply to: #3550856

User image

Extreme Veteran
NW Arkansas
lisac957 - 2011-06-15 1:45 PM
Kansastriguy - 2011-06-14 11:29 PM

I wasn't too excited for the walk back to T1 after the finish, but I knew it was part of this race and I won't complain about it.

I did this in 2010 and decided NEVER AGAIN as I was by myself, woozy, dizzy and generally a limping zombie. This year I took the extra 15 seconds to put my gear in the gear bag they provided so it would be transported up to the finish line area. I can't recommend that enough - lesson learned for next year maybe?

See you at Mudwater!

Totally agree. It was very nice and easy just to go to the bag area.
2011-06-15 10:26 PM

Okay guys, I hate to be the person to put out a complaint after a great day of racing.  IM Kansas is my favorite race. However, I don't know who made the decision to pull the caps off of the water bottles at the bike water stations.  I always keep my water bottle between my aero bars, but couldn't because the bottles would just empty out.  Secondly, the cheap waterbottles that they hand out, Ozarka I believe, after you take one drink, they deform.  They will then not fit into my downtube water bottle holder.  So much for an ergonomic shape being a good thing.  This is the second race that this has happened, and the first one was a cheap Olympic distance race in Illinois so I didn't expect much.  But at the cost of this race I would expect maybee a better waterbottle or at least one with a cap.  I didn't know who to complain to so I thought, why not complain to other triathletes.  If I only get one person who agrees with me then I won't feel like I am asking too much.

2011-06-16 6:34 AM
in reply to: #3551658

User image

Extreme Veteran
NW Arkansas
I didn't get water but did get Perform twice. The top on one of my bottles was partially unscrewed and when I went to take a drink it leaked quite a bit on me. I was a little irked but it didn't really bother me. Your situation is a bit different and I don't blame you for being upset.

I wish they would have had something different or additional for post race food. I would've loved a cheeseburger or turkey sandwich instead of BBQ pork. The pork was good just not what I wanted.

2011-06-16 7:29 AM
in reply to: #3551803

User image

Veteran
Iowa
Never had the water bottle issue as I emptied directly into my aero bottle, but I would be upset as well.  As far as post race food, I thought it was okay, could have used a couple of Budweisers though...luckily my campsite wasn't too far away!!
2011-06-16 10:13 AM

User image

Master
Overland Park, KS

I used the aero bottle for this race, actually the first time I ever used one, so glad I did.  But I will agree with you on the bottles.  I know there are costs involved with better bottles and the RD had a budget to work with.  Maybe next year they hook up with Gatorade and get cage-friendly bottles to hand out.  There was a green Gatorade bottle in the SWAG bag, so why not leave that one out and put them out on the course.

I've got to tell you however, it was soooooo easy to just stick that bottle in my aero bottle, squeeze it, have the contents transferred BEFORE the end of the water station.  I was able to even hand the empty water bottle to the last volunteer as I left.  I had my own bottle in the cage as a reserve.

2011-06-16 10:21 AM
in reply to: #3551658

User image

Extreme Veteran
Olathe, KS

crolson24 - 2011-06-15 10:26 PM I don't know who made the decision to pull the caps off of the water bottles at the bike water stations.

I actually appreciated this. I kept water in my aero bottle, so when I went by the aid stations all I had to do was tun the bottle upside down and empty it.  I was done before I hit the end of the aid station. I kept concentrated Infinite in my down tube bottle. Just an example, I suppose, that you can't please everyone all of the time. Someone will be disappointed. I'm sorry to hear of your troubles.

I believe last year, before the switch to Perform, they did have the sturdy Gatorade bottles with the twist spout.

Edited by Barkeep 2011-06-16 10:23 AM
2011-06-16 11:11 AM

Quick little addition to my first post.  I guess they could have left the flip caps on the bottles but left them in the open position for anyone with an aero bottle or speedfil.  This way the people who wanted the bottles with a cap could close the top and those who want to refill thier own bottles could do it in a snap.  Just my thoughts.  Thanks for the great posts!

2011-06-17 9:31 AM
in reply to: #3552251

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
reecealan - 2011-06-16 10:13 AM

Maybe next year they hook up with Gatorade and get cage-friendly bottles to hand out.  There was a green Gatorade bottle in the SWAG bag, so why not leave that one out and put them out on the course.

I doubt it, as the contract is now with PERFORM and not Gatorade.
I did not get a green bottle in my swag bag, I was gypped!!! I bet they were leftover, I do remember getting a green one last year.

I'm with Barkeep... I really appreciated the bottles being open already! I can't imagine trying to open them while riding...

2011-06-17 10:17 AM
in reply to: #3553979

User image

Master
Overland Park, KS
lisac957 - 2011-06-17 9:31 AM
reecealan - 2011-06-16 10:13 AM

Maybe next year they hook up with Gatorade and get cage-friendly bottles to hand out.  There was a green Gatorade bottle in the SWAG bag, so why not leave that one out and put them out on the course.

I doubt it, as the contract is now with PERFORM and not Gatorade.
I did not get a green bottle in my swag bag, I was gypped!!! I bet they were leftover, I do remember getting a green one last year.

I'm with Barkeep... I really appreciated the bottles being open already! I can't imagine trying to open them while riding...

Now that I think about it, I got a SWAG bag from the Blazeman dinner Friday night so it might have been from there.  Anyhow whoever the drink sponsor is next year might look at these points.  I'm woth you guys, so glad it was open, just plunked it down into aero bottle and squeezed.

2011-06-17 2:44 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
NW Arkansas
The Perform bottles were cage-friendly. Mine fit perfectly. I'm sure the water bottles were different, though.
2011-06-18 5:48 PM

Anyone else feeling sick in the last 2 days? I've come down with some serious diarrhea. I can't seem to pin it on any food or environmental exposure except for the Clinton Lake water - and I swallowed a lot of lake water last week. 
2011-06-28 8:07 AM
in reply to: #3551875

User image

New user

harleyclone - I hear you about the Budweisers.  I was searching for the beer tent!  Next year I will know this is a BYOB race.  Laughing

As for the water bottles, I only had to get one at the last aid station and poured it directly into my aero bottle.  I don't remember what kind of top it had.  It seems like it was a squeeze top.  The volunteers did an excellent job holding out bottles.  At Ironman New Orleans, the volunteers kept a death grip on the bottles and they were hard to grab.

2011-06-29 2:30 PM

User image

Veteran
Austin

As far as the water bottles are concerned, I also actually appreciated having the open bottles, I too squeezed as much as I could into the aero bottle, then drank what I could before I got to the last trash drop. This worked really well for me, because I also carry the Infinit-mixed bottles.

As far as the swim was concerned, I was just happy to finish. Having volunteered at a couple IM and HIM races myself, I was happy to see the sometimes-overzealous kayaks hanging close. There were times when on the upstroke my hand would not clear the water because of the wave, and that was followed by getting tossed down into the trough... I couldn't manage to get my stroke coordinated with the wave action.

More importantly, having I think the campsite closest to the finish line (the tent with the black pickup) I was REALLY happy to see that cold ice chest.Laughing Even before I got off the expo boundary though walking my bike back to the truck, I came across a finisher and her friend sitting near the finish with a couple cold ones. I was so blessed when they reached into the cooler and pulled out a "spare", popped the top and handed it to me! I had told a spectator sitting alongside the run course I was going to trade places with her on the 2nd loop, so she had better put her running shoes on and leave me at least one cold one in the cooler. I will be darned if she wasn't holding an open one out for me as I went past! -- No, she wasn't willing to give up the chair!

Happy to finish, and will be happy to participate in this one again... no I am not a racer or competitive soul, for a number of reasons. IMKS had some of the BEST volunteers. I also appreciated the suggestion from the Kansas-experienced to camp rather than do the hotel thing... definitely a better experience.

See some of you at Redman, or Ironman Florida?

2012-01-03 3:42 PM

User image

Master
Denison Texas
So will this thread be bumped up for 2012 or a new one started?
2012-01-06 4:35 PM

User image

Pro
Husker Nation
2012 individual registration fee goes from $225 to $250 on Wednesday!
2012-04-24 1:55 PM

Hello Everyone-

I have a question.  I am looking at the official maps provided by the Kansas Ironman Website and from what I can tell there are 2 different transition areas 1 for bike and one for the run.  Can anyone confirm this?

2012-04-24 2:02 PM
in reply to: #4170245

User image

Extreme Veteran
Olathe, KS
carl.lundeen - 2012-04-24 1:55 PM

Hello Everyone-

I have a question.  I am looking at the official maps provided by the Kansas Ironman Website and from what I can tell there are 2 different transition areas 1 for bike and one for the run.  Can anyone confirm this?

Yup. Unless they are making a change from prior year, T1 is located down by the marina/swim exit and T2 is located near the finish line.

New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Kansas 70.3 : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 20